BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

08-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
nelsonjmbf
Rep
Drives: 2004 525i

Garage List
2004 BMW 525i  [0.00]
Changing my Breaks for the 1st Time on my 525i

So my breaks have been making noise for almost the entire time I have had the car since the old owner somehow broke the sensor when he was checking the life of the pads before selling it, I think I have worn pads down enough that it isn't a waste to change them now so I bought the pads, jack stands, 7mm hex bit, dot 4 break fluid, the lube for the pads, and the sensors. I am planning on changing both the front pads and the back pads at the same time so before I start I wanted to post an see if there is any certain order to change the pads in or if it even matters which I do first, also I have heard that since I am just changing my pads that I do not have to bleed my breaks since there is really no way air can get into the line, is this correct or no do I need to bleed them? My final question is regarding if while changing pads I remove the break fluid resovor cap or of that is only done when changing calipers? if it makes a difference at all I drive a 2004 525i with a lil over 120k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:04 AM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonjmbf View Post
So my breaks have been making noise for almost the entire time I have had the car since the old owner somehow broke the sensor when he was checking the life of the pads before selling it, I think I have worn pads down enough that it isn't a waste to change them now so I bought the pads, jack stands, 7mm hex bit, dot 4 break fluid, the lube for the pads, and the sensors. I am planning on changing both the front pads and the back pads at the same time so before I start I wanted to post an see if there is any certain order to change the pads in or if it even matters which I do first, also I have heard that since I am just changing my pads that I do not have to bleed my breaks since there is really no way air can get into the line, is this correct or no do I need to bleed them? My final question is regarding if while changing pads I remove the break fluid resovor cap or of that is only done when changing calipers? if it makes a difference at all I drive a 2004 525i with a lil over 120k miles.
It doesn't matter what order they're changed in. Bleeding the brakes is never a bad idea either.
Appreciate 0