BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Amex Gold Card

Anyone have it? I've probably received at least 3 offers YTD....and am really contemplating getting it.

I currently have the Citi Advantage Mastercard and Amex - I only use the Amex to build up points. And I pay $85 annually for that

The AMEX Gold is $175/year

Something I just thought about, is the Citi/MC/AMEX cards are 85 annually and I would close them because I dont want to pay $85 for something I'll never use....BUT thats over 20k in available credit that I will be closing so I wont have to pay the annual membership fee...I guess I'll have to see what all i have available and I dont want it to look like I'm using more of my credit because i've closed out the available credit on those two cards

anyone in here provide any input is much appreciated

happy holidays everyone
      12-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

1. closing credit cards hurts your credit score because it lowers the amount of available credit you have, raises your debt to credit ratio, and lowers your avg credit history.
2. if you want the gold card see if you can just upgrade from the amex that you already have into a gold card. (ive gone between green,gold, and platinum without closing and opening a card). they will usually only do this if you are upgrading from a charge card to another charge card or credit card to another credit card. not a credit card to charge card or vice versa. i should mention that if you do it this way then you probably wont qualify for whatever promotion they are running but your points will transfer over.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
My only cars with an annual fee are a delta amex classic & delta amex gold. $60/yr for the classic and $100/yr for the gold.

I fly a lot, so the points are nice for upgrades and such. I do not need both cards but I keep them since they each report approx 14yr history. That's quite valuable in a credit history.

Have my sears card open for the same reason. I got most of my cards back in 1999. That one in particular only has a 450 limit and has been at a zero balance for over a year now. I just used it whenever i needed tools, but the sears near me is closing so I doubt it will see any use for some time.
      12-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

I've got the preferred and like it a lot. I spend the most on groceries and gas, so the 2x points works out well for me, and the points transfer to my favorite airlines (Virgin, Emirates, etc.). I don't travel enough anymore for the Platinum to be worth the money. You also get some bonus points if you drop over30k in a calendar year, so that is nice. I was a tad concerned about Amex not being as widely accepted, but haven't had a single issue thus far.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
I have one. Even with $175/year charge, i get anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 free "thank you" points pet year, which covers the yearly charge.

This is the only card I use, so i rack up points on that thing like there is no tomorrow
      12-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
It's a bad idea to constantly closing and opening a new credit account.
You need at least 4 solid accounts (auto loans included) to be active, meaning transaction must have happened last 2 months, for your future loans, eg home mortgage. And lengthier the history, the better.

Back to your questions, if you are going to use the credit, Amex gold is very good card.
But it is a charge card, not a credit card. It doesn't have the limit (depends on your credit) so you can earn points very quickly and give you a room when you need it.
And because of it, it comes with the price of annual membership fee.
Also, the card is packed with great features such as warranties and etc. I personally think fee is very reasonable for the service I get from Amex. If you are young and starting out, it's a good card to establish your credit history. But just be within your mean when using charge cards.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
thanks all... credit is solid.. I'm in my early 30's... score is about 780

seems like the card is worth it... I can keep my MC/Amex combo open because its 20k of available credit so in essence i'll be paying $85 to keep my accounts open so I dont loose that 20 k in availble credit
      12-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

it's a great card, will be updating to platinum as they sent me an offer.

one thing i love about amex, their customer service is top notch.

It's the only card I have, and as you know it is a charge card, which is pretty cool. Log in once a month, pay it, done.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have the Costco AMEX - it's a green card. The points that some cards give are nice, but often difficult to use. The Costco card has no fee (other than Costco membership), and gives 1-3% cash back on all purchases. It's nice to get a $1,000+ check back each february, and then I can decide where I want to spend it.
      12-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I have the Costco AMEX - it's a green card. The points that some cards give are nice, but often difficult to use. The Costco card has no fee (other than Costco membership), and gives 1-3% cash back on all purchases. It's nice to get a $1,000+ check back each february, and then I can decide where I want to spend it.
Whoa whoa, wait a second. You get $1000 cash back? I was under the impression that most credit cards had a limit for how much cash you can get back in any given month.

Granted if you're getting $1000 cash back you're likely spending $50,000 to $100,000 per month which is more than I spend but still, if your card gives you unlimited cash back opportunities per month that's awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Yeah I'm looking at the rules for my card and there's a limit of $100 cash back per month. I get 3% on gas, 2% on groceries and 1% on everything else, plus a 10% bonus if I deposit it into a specified checking or savings account.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 04:10 AM   #12
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Whoa whoa, wait a second. You get $1000 cash back? I was under the impression that most credit cards had a limit for how much cash you can get back in any given month.

Granted if you're getting $1000 cash back you're likely spending $50,000 to $100,000 per month which is more than I spend but still, if your card gives you unlimited cash back opportunities per month that's awesome!
I get about 1000 back each year too and probably spend about 3-5K a month?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Check out the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred card. Its a $75 annual fee but you get 1% cash back on all purchases, 3% on gas and department stores, and 6% on groceries (there is a limit to the groceries portion). As groceries and gas are probably my two main purchases this card yields quite a bit of cash back for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post

I haven't heard of any limit on it, and I've received a check each year for prob the past 7 or 8 years for over $1,000 (last year was about $1,550). I use the card for work travel as well as personal spending, and it adds up.

AMEX also has this Buyers Assurance thing. I never paid any attention to it until I dumped a drink in my new MacBook and ruined it - they credited my account, with no hassle. It's a free benefit of the card.

Someone in this thread mentioned the AMEX Blue card - that sounds good as well.

Last edited by bbbbmw; 12-19-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
I haven't heard of any limit on it, and I've received a check each year for prob the past 7 or 8 years for over $1,000 (last year was about $1,550). I use the card for work travel as well as personal spending, and it adds up.

AMEX also has this Buyers Assurance thing. I never paid any attention to it until I dumped a drink in my new MacBook and ruined it - they credited my account, with no hassle. It's a free benefit of the card.

Someone in this thread mentioned the AMEX Blue card - that sounds good as well.
Yeah, Amex is good to it's members. This is why so many places don't take Amex. It's expensive as a merchant to accept Amex. I'm quite sure the average Amex card member doesn't take advantage of even a 1/4 of the benefits the card offers.

I racked up about 300,000 points on my amex this year which is equal to about $2500 cash back if i chose a check. But it's kind of fun having points to spend. A few times a year when bored i'll spend a little time poking around in the rewards section. Just today i linked my card to my amazon account and now i can use my reward points for my amazon purchases. Pretty cool i think.
      12-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Yeah, Amex is good to it's members. This is why so many places don't take Amex. It's expensive as a merchant to accept Amex. I'm quite sure the average Amex card member doesn't take advantage of even a 1/4 of the benefits the card offers.

I racked up about 300,000 points on my amex this year which is equal to about $2500 cash back if i chose a check. But it's kind of fun having points to spend. A few times a year when bored i'll spend a little time poking around in the rewards section. Just today i linked my card to my amazon account and now i can use my reward points for my amazon purchases. Pretty cool i think.
Is it 1 point per dollar spent? Is that through the Amex member rewards program?
      12-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post

you can link points to amazon? how so? do tell. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Is it 1 point per dollar spent? Is that through the Amex member rewards program?
Yes, but sometimes they have bonus points and i believe double points for travel purchases. (airlines, hotels, rental cars, etc…) This is our business card. If all my vendors would take this as payment i would use it rack up a few million points. But wholesalers have little profit and can't afford 3% fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
you can link points to amazon? how so? do tell. lol
I logged onto my Amex account online and saw a link talking about connecting my reward points to my amazon account. Signed into my amazon account and clicked the amex link. 3 more steps and it's done.
      12-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

thanks will give it a look!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

Quote:

lol
how much do you spend?
I usually get about $250-$350 back
      12-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I've had the gold card ever since I was 21 and it has been great. Anytime there is any merchant issue they take care of it. If you have a small business check out the plum card too.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
pacman.defense
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 330i

(i didnt read anyone else's post)

i am an app-o-rama player. i churn credit cards for their sign-up bonuses, usually 5 CCs every 4 months. i have the AMEX Premier Gold with the 50,000 sign-up bonus for $1,000 spent, which is a 50% reward ratio (when converting to 50,000 points into $500 gift cards or whatever). the first year fee is waived and i blew all the points on Seamless eGift Cards.
Appreciate 0