BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #67
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
Yes, i treat it like a savings account just like with silver and gold. I like to have a wide range of where my money is at
Not quite just like silver and gold.

12-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #68
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Not quite just like silver and gold.

True, but like i said, i treat them like a savings account, not an investment. Its liquid so if i need it i can use it.

I dont keep loads of money in the bank, instead i keep cash, silver and gold
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #69
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

i see, i mistook what you wrote for collecting the $2 bills as similar to acquiring gold and silver. haha…. My mistake.
      12-10-2013, 04:04 AM   #70
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Nate, why are they still in the boxes?
I tried to only buy the cars that came with an acrylic clear box over the car, but some unfortunately were just soft plastic attached to the cardboard. I kept them in the boxes for 2 main reasons.
1. Dust. The cars are amazingly detailed and I didnt want to break anything when cleaning.

2. I bought them in Germany at my first post in a 3 year, 3 post tour. I don't trust people with my things very often so I didnt want to risk anything over the next 3 years of packing, moving, and unpacking multiple times. This is also why I boxed them all up with way more styrofoam than needed and sent them to my parents' house for them to hold onto until I'm done with this duty. Along with my legit Black Forest Cuckoo clock, I'm not risking some 3rd world movers breaking valuable things.

Some of them arent very good though. The Aventador that I got at the Frankfurt show from Lambo themselves was the cheapest POS in the collection. It cost me 8 Euro where brand new cars I paid upwards of 70 euro for. The damn thing is worse than a hotwheels car. A lot of them I was able to find from used model car shops at Frankfurt and since they were older models they were a lot cheaper. I almost bought a Veyron for 150 euro but they had one for 50. I kind of feel I should have gone for the more expensive one just because its Bugatti and it is the most exensive car in the collection. I've never seen these for sale in the US like they were around Germany, but I hope to be able to find some, its kind of fun hunting for the dream cars you really want.
      12-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #71
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
I tried to only buy the cars that came with an acrylic clear box over the car, but some unfortunately were just soft plastic attached to the cardboard. I kept them in the boxes for 2 main reasons.
1. Dust. The cars are amazingly detailed and I didnt want to break anything when cleaning.

2. I bought them in Germany at my first post in a 3 year, 3 post tour. I don't trust people with my things very often so I didnt want to risk anything over the next 3 years of packing, moving, and unpacking multiple times. This is also why I boxed them all up with way more styrofoam than needed and sent them to my parents' house for them to hold onto until I'm done with this duty. Along with my legit Black Forest Cuckoo clock, I'm not risking some 3rd world movers breaking valuable things.

Some of them arent very good though. The Aventador that I got at the Frankfurt show from Lambo themselves was the cheapest POS in the collection. It cost me 8 Euro where brand new cars I paid upwards of 70 euro for. The damn thing is worse than a hotwheels car. A lot of them I was able to find from used model car shops at Frankfurt and since they were older models they were a lot cheaper. I almost bought a Veyron for 150 euro but they had one for 50. I kind of feel I should have gone for the more expensive one just because its Bugatti and it is the most exensive car in the collection. I've never seen these for sale in the US like they were around Germany, but I hope to be able to find some, its kind of fun hunting for the dream cars you really want.
Gotcha. When i met my wife she had about 15 18th scale model cars. We've added to the collection and have some of the cooler stuff on display in the living room shelving. It's alway nice to see cool cars when strolling through the house.

This was the best place for 18th scale models….. they've closed now, but still support the website so you can search out models, manufactures, etc….

http://www.scale18.com
      12-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #72
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
a 1998 Toyota Supra turbo msrp in 98' was $39,900. Based on that inflation calculator it should be worth $57,168 in 2013. That does not mean $39,900 cash in 1998 is now worth $57,168 cash in 2013. Material > cash
I think you are mis-interpreting what the calculator is for. It doesn't mean that any 1998 anything is worth 57K now if it was 39K when new. Today's value is driven by supply and demand, and the item's condition, so market forces could make it a lot more or a lot less.

What it measures is inflation; the buying power of a dollar. So, if Toyota made a 2013 Supra Turbo (finally something that is not a boring transportation appliance), then an MSRP of $57K would mean that it is about as expensive as it was back in 1998, relative to the cost of everything else. If it was less than 57K, then the average guy wouldn't have to work as hard to afford one as he would have in 98.

For example, people say new Vettes are so expensive now. And they are right. A '65 stingray had a base MSRP of about 4100. The calculator shows that in today's dollars, you should be able to get a new stripped down stingray for $30K. Good luck with that !

Conversely, a cheap color TV from RCA was $399 in 1965. That's $3K in todays dollars. Inflation has not been kind to the gearhead.
      12-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #73
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
That is awesome!! lol

I have a decent Sword Collection. Mostly decorative, but I have a few battle ready ones as well. My prize piece is a battle ready Katana I scored when I was stationed in Kyoto.

I halso have a growing shot glass collection being built up from my travels accross the globe.
Your collection is wicked!! When I get back to my place this weekend, I will post up a pic of my blades as well.
I don't have any armor... except for a couple sets of IBAs, but your pic makes me want to start shopping...
      12-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #74
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
That is awesome!! lol

I have a decent Sword Collection. Mostly decorative, but I have a few battle ready ones as well. My prize piece is a battle ready Katana I scored when I was stationed in Kyoto.

I halso have a growing shot glass collection being built up from my travels accross the globe.
I have the same type of shot glass collection. Get one from every state or country visited. It started out just cause I like taking shots, to a steady growing collection.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #75
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ
Quote:
That is awesome!! lol

I have the same type of shot glass collection. Get one from every state or country visited. It started out just cause I like taking shots, to a steady growing collection.
its is so easy to collect shot glasses because they are easy to transport, and even if two people go to the exact same places, and collect shot glasses, their individual collections would still be unique. I will take pictures of my shot glass collection and blade collection to post on this thread this weekend when I get back
      12-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #76
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
its is so easy to collect shot glasses because they are easy to transport, and even if two people go to the exact same places, and collect shot glasses, their individual collections would still be unique. I will take pictures of my shot glass collection and blade collection to post on this thread this weekend when I get back
This is very true, although the residual value is next to nothing. I have a decent collection going myself, and the individual factor makes me happy, the fact it is worthless is hard to make my frown turn upside down.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #77
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Your collection is wicked!! When I get back to my place this weekend, I will post up a pic of my blades as well.
I don't have any armor... except for a couple sets of IBAs, but your pic makes me want to start shopping...
lol... that's not me and I don't collect swords.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #78
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
lol this one cracked me up good. BTW nice collection KOJ and good to finally put a face to the name.
      12-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #79
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

so none of you sneads have any fucking Kobe Grinch's ?!?!

you fake ass sneads !!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #80
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho
Quote:
lol, you had me going. The guy in the pic does have some nice swords though.
      12-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #81
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos

No Kobe's for me bro...never got into them
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #82
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup
Quote:
This is very true, although the residual value is next to nothing. I have a decent collection going myself, and the individual factor makes me happy, the fact it is worthless is hard to make my frown turn upside down.
You said it. The shot glass collection is basically just for show because it will never increase in value
      12-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #83
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #84
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post

Too bright for me! Good luck though, the market price on those is around $600.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #85
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
So it's like being the 40 year old virgin, except with shoes?

I kid, I kid...

I have a collection of beer steins from Germany and Belgium. No pics though, and the collection is relatively tiny.
      12-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #86
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Theres an interesting documentary on netflix about people who are obsessivly into starwars. Several of the guys collect just about everything they can find and its actually kind of scary/sad how much stuff they have and how much the know about the stuff. Little things like a Vader figure was made with hands closed for a time, then the hands were open and he just has to have both. Under the surface of just geekyness its crazy to get into the phycology of some people's obsessions with collecting.
      12-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #87
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

i collect shoes as well, but mostly nike sb's and dunk sb's.

just picked up the black ugly sweater dunks and i can't wait to wear them to an ugly sweater party.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #88
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionJim
i collect shoes as well, but mostly nike sb's and dunk sb's.

just picked up the black ugly sweater dunks and i can't wait to wear them to an ugly sweater party.
Nice!
Appreciate 0