BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #67
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Corvette Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Looks to me like that dealer is trying their best but the owner is being difficult.

"To First State's credit, it immediately fired the employee who took the car and tried to pursue charges against him — but local officials said since the car was in the dealership's legal possession at the time of the crash, no crime was committed."
Then they offered him ZL1's with comparable mileage but the owner refused, insisting that his particular example was worth more. Egads.

As an aside, it is completely ridiculous that the employee was able to loophole his way out of justice. That it can't be a crime to sneak in after-hours and go joyriding, just because he worked there, is beyond me.
Owner deserves a brand new 2014 ZL1 with 0 miles and full warranty, at least. They're trying to just give him a used one off the lot.

But yeah the dealer is cooperating way better than this BMW one. Can't believe there are no criminal charges either, he gets fired, but otherwise he is scot-free.

Last edited by MattMD; 01-10-2014 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #68
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMD View Post
Owner deserves a brand new 2014 ZL1 with 0 miles and full warranty, at least. They're trying to just give him a used one off the lot.
Why does he deserve a brand new one with zero miles? That would have been a generous show of good will by the dealership and definitely would have saved them the bad publicity, but they aren't obligated. They aren't even obligated to replace his car at all unless a judge orders them to. However they are trying to replace his car and even giving him one to drive in the meantime.

That would be like insurance companies having to buy new cars for everyone whose car was wrecked when they weren't at fault. It sounds nice but it's an unsustainable model and frankly wouldn't be fair.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #69
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Corvette Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Why does he deserve a brand new one with zero miles? That would have been a generous show of good will by the dealership and definitely would have saved them the bad publicity, but they aren't obligated. They aren't even obligated to replace his car at all unless a judge orders them to. However they are trying to replace his car and even giving him one to drive in the meantime.

That would be like insurance companies having to buy new cars for everyone whose car was wrecked when they weren't at fault. It sounds nice but it's an unsustainable model and frankly wouldn't be fair.
I feel that due to the gross negligence and the inconvenience, he should receive more than just a comparable used car. They should give him a new car for his troubles. I know that they aren't legally obligated to give him a better car, but I think it is the right thing to do. But we'll see what the judge says.

I think a new car is a reasonable scenario, given that his car only had 10k miles and that the dealership will want to help its publicity. Now that the story has hit the national media, they will need to do damage control and go above doing what is satisfactory.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #70
srezzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Why the hell did they need to "take it for a spin" after an oil change? I'd threaten to sue.
Appreciate 0