BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #243
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think it's a legitimate complaint. I would take the Explorer over the Charger or Crown Victoria any day. I also didn't quite understand the business case for moving to the Charger when we hadn't even been equipped with the Explorer for that long. Some stations are still phasing out the Crown Vic's. My current department has very few Chargers relative to my previous department; most are used for unmarked duty or are driven by brass. My previous department has a bunch of Chargers used for daily patrol. Getting in and out of that Charger is a pain in the ass, and the aforementioned visibility blows. I would have to talk to the fleet guys to really get a handle on the Charger's mechanical durability. I know we beat the crap out of the Ford products, and they keep going and going; I wish the Vic's would stop. Lol!

My best friend and my brother are both in Chargers. My brother loves it....but really hasn't had anything else to compare it with. Plus he's a Dodge guy.

My best friend however hates it as he's a big guy. But he's getting ready to go into K9, so he's as excited about a different vehicle as he is doing something different in the department!
      11-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #244
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
I think it's a legitimate complaint. I would take the Explorer over the Charger or Crown Victoria any day. I also didn't quite understand the business case for moving to the Charger when we hadn't even been equipped with the Explorer for that long. Some stations are still phasing out the Crown Vic's. My current department has very few Chargers relative to my previous department; most are used for unmarked duty or are driven by brass. My previous department has a bunch of Chargers used for daily patrol. Getting in and out of that Charger is a pain in the ass, and the aforementioned visibility blows. I would have to talk to the fleet guys to really get a handle on the Charger's mechanical durability. I know we beat the crap out of the Ford products, and they keep going and going; I wish the Vic's would stop. Lol!

My best friend and my brother are both in Chargers. My brother loves it....but really hasn't had anything else to compare it with. Plus he's a Dodge guy.

My best friend however hates it as he's a big guy. But he's getting ready to go into K9, so he's as excited about a different vehicle as he is doing something different in the department!
That makes sense. Physical size also makes a difference when discussing ingress/egress. The bigger you are, the more you'll dislike the Charger; I'm not a super big guy at 5'10 and 188 lbs. The more gear you carry on your person, the more you appreciate space.

Side note: we recently were authorized to wear the redesigned BDU-style uniforms (...cargo pants and a new lightweight, breathable shirt) that are commmmfffyyyyyyy! Couple the new uniform with a nylon duty belt/components, and patrol is so much more comfortable.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      11-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #245
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

We still have half our fleet as Crown Vic, if u need a few. None of them have a mobile in them any more

I'm glad they picked some Explorers so I can still use the same keys I've had for 15 years
      11-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #246
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
When they rolled up I was under the car and based on the conversation I thought it was my friends neighbor stopping by.

My friend goes hey Phil come and meet them. I get out from under the car and it's two cops LOL. Then we just spoke about our cars and his cars and our mods.

Should we all go for a canyon cruise once?
I'm totally down...........but not Angeles Crest. My CHP buddies love to issue citations there.
Yeah but we'd be with you!! Lol
      11-11-2019, 12:51 AM   #247
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
We still have half our fleet as Crown Vic, if u need a few. None of them have a mobile in them any more

I'm glad they picked some Explorers so I can still use the same keys I've had for 15 years
It's funny how the keys open every car in the fleet.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When they rolled up I was under the car and based on the conversation I thought it was my friends neighbor stopping by.

My friend goes hey Phil come and meet them. I get out from under the car and it's two cops LOL. Then we just spoke about our cars and his cars and our mods.

Should we all go for a canyon cruise once?
I'm totally down...........but not Angeles Crest. My CHP buddies love to issue citations there.
Yeah but we'd be with you!! Lol
That's a good point!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #248
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Does windshield tint alert you more than just side windows? More reason to pull that person over? Seems it throws officers off more in my area as I've been pulled a few times
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      11-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #249
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Here's one, and I apologize if it's been covered earlier.

If you're setup checking cars' speeds with radar and/or laser and one of the cars hits their brakes, whether or not you got an excess speed reading on them, are the brake lights an admission of guilt?
      11-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #250
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
Does windshield tint alert you more than just side windows? More reason to pull that person over? Seems it throws officers off more in my area as I've been pulled a few times
Tinted windows are common, so it doesn't alert us more in the sense that there's some obvious reaction to a car with tinted windows. What does occur is subconscious; if I can't see into the car I naturally become more cautious. A car with an obvious infraction just makes it easier to develop reasonable suspicion to effect a traffic stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Here's one, and I apologize if it's been covered earlier.

If you're setup checking cars' speeds with radar and/or laser and one of the cars hits their brakes, whether or not you got an excess speed reading on them, are the brake lights an admission of guilt?
No. Also keep in mind that we've already clocked you long before you actually see us, so braking really is immaterial, and we can't see the brake lights anyway.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2019, 12:48 AM   #251
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
The question I'm about to ask I already have and answer to but a small lack of understanding.

I was recently driving around at night when a pretty good snow storm (was basically a blizzard) hit. My lights being Xenon did not help my visibility at all. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of you on low lit roads. At this point I pulled over for just a moment, put my fogs on and turned my lights to parking lights. Also keep my halos for being halos are pretty damn bright, they illuminate things in front of it a good amount. I noticed I can see a lot better without my high or low beams on. This brought up the idea.. I find it somewhat silly that having high/low beams off at night in a situation like this is still illegal. I think my pretty bright halos in conjunction with bright yellow fog lights should be enough, and I can always turn on the low beams when I see a car approaching.
For legal reasons I won't do this, unless there's a way around it.. Which I doubt
      11-12-2019, 02:23 AM   #252
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
The question I'm about to ask I already have and answer to but a small lack of understanding.

I was recently driving around at night when a pretty good snow storm (was basically a blizzard) hit. My lights being Xenon did not help my visibility at all. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of you on low lit roads. At this point I pulled over for just a moment, put my fogs on and turned my lights to parking lights. Also keep my halos for being halos are pretty damn bright, they illuminate things in front of it a good amount. I noticed I can see a lot better without my high or low beams on. This brought up the idea.. I find it somewhat silly that having high/low beams off at night in a situation like this is still illegal. I think my pretty bright halos in conjunction with bright yellow fog lights should be enough, and I can always turn on the low beams when I see a car approaching.
For legal reasons I won't do this, unless there's a way around it.. Which I doubt
I agree that in certain inclement conditions like heavy fog or whiteout, low/high beam headlights reflect light and cause worsening visibility. Certain cars have alternative lighting that does, indeed, perform better in those conditions, but the California Vehicle Code - or any state's vehicle code - is written to cover all cars comprehensively. You'd be cited for a violation of CVC 24250 if you drove without your headlights in operation in California (...which carries a fine, a point and a potential license suspension, but the latter is unlikely under most circumstances), even with good intent and/or a reasonable explanation.....

....or maybe the officer would just warn you and advise you to turn on your headlights absent any other issues.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #253
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post

I agree that in certain inclement conditions like heavy fog or whiteout, low/high beam headlights reflect light and cause worsening visibility. Certain cars have alternative lighting that does, indeed, perform better in those conditions, but the California Vehicle Code - or any state's vehicle code - is written to cover all cars comprehensively. You'd be cited for a violation of CVC 24250 if you drove without your headlights in operation in California (...which carries a fine, a point and a potential license suspension, but the latter is unlikely under most circumstances), even with good intent and/or a reasonable explanation.....

....or maybe the officer would just warn you and advise you to turn on your headlights absent any other issues.
I'll have to look into this with Colorado. Thanks!
      11-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #254
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
I know of someone who was a police officer in the city of Sacramento around the 90’s and he mentioned that he quit after he shot/killed a suspect. He didn’t get into too much detail but it was either the suspect or him who would get shot. That shooting rattled him and forced him into depression and guilt.

You have probably answered this already but have you engaged in deadly fire and if so, have you killed/wounded anyone? Every officer handles shooting differently, however, how did you take it if you were involved?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:16 AM   #255
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I know of someone who was a police officer in the city of Sacramento around the 90's and he mentioned that he quit after he shot/killed a suspect. He didn't get into too much detail but it was either the suspect or him who would get shot. That shooting rattled him and forced him into depression and guilt.

You have probably answered this already but have you engaged in deadly fire and if so, have you killed/wounded anyone? Every officer handles shooting differently, however, how did you take it if you were involved?
I have exchanged gunfire with criminals in the past, and it is not a pleasant situation to be in whatsoever. If you've never been shot at - and I would wager that nobody/very few here [outside of the other cops/military on the forum] have unless members of Bimmerpost regularly engage in gang activity - it is downright scary, especially if/when it's rifle fire. Most ceramic armor plates are good for one round from an AR/AK, and a level IV rifle armor plate can typically hold up to a round from a .30.08 when coupled with a level IIIA concealable vest; poly or steel can handle multiple AR/AK rounds, but they are heavier, so most officers use ceramic. The odds suck!!! With that said, I feel for your friend. Shootings do, indeed, affect members of law enforcement differently, and some people do react very emotionally to shooting/killing someone. Fortunately I am not the type of person who would experience any emotional struggle if I killed someone who has/had every intention on ending my life.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      11-13-2019, 05:56 AM   #256
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have exchanged gunfire with criminals in the past, and it is not a pleasant situation to be in whatsoever. If you've never been shot at - and I would wager that nobody/very few here [outside of the other cops/military on the forum] have unless members of Bimmerpost regularly engage in gang activity - it is downright scary, especially if/when it's rifle fire. Most ceramic armor plates are good for one round from an AR/AK, and a level IV rifle armor plate can typically hold up to a round from a .30.08 when coupled with a level IIIA concealable vest; poly or steel can handle multiple AR/AK rounds, but they are heavier, so most officers use ceramic. The odds suck!!! With that said, I feel for your friend. Shootings do, indeed, affect members of law enforcement differently, and some people do react very emotionally to shooting/killing someone. Fortunately I am not the type of person who would experience any emotional struggle if I killed someone who has/had every intention on ending my life.

I would feel the same way...if it's me or them...then I am doing everything I can to come out on top.

I have been shot before (Not Gang Related, but stupid Bar shit) and it isn't fun at all even when it is not a life threatening injury.
      11-13-2019, 06:12 AM   #257
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...stupid Bar shit...
That's redundant.

I "wised-up" after the 3rd occasion when I heard shots and everyone dove under tables and stampeded for the doors. Thankfully, I don't have any "involuntary piercings." Hopefully you healed up okay.
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      11-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #258
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's redundant.

I "wised-up" after the 3rd occasion when I heard shots and everyone dove under tables and stampeded for the doors. Thankfully, I don't have any "involuntary piercings." Hopefully you healed up okay.
Yeah....I had a guy that picked a fight with me the night before it happened over something stupid, and he happened to not be as skilled as he thought. I ended it quickly, but nothing excessive like stomping on his head or anything, and thought that was it.

The next night as I was coming out of the same place, he was waiting on me and shot me. Good thing he was a bad aim. He was on the ground and I was on the deck coming down, so the bullet entered my left hip just 2" below my waist. Knocked my leg out from under me and bruised my entire hip.

Doctors told me that there were so many nerves in that area, that if he tried to cut it out I could end up with a permanent limp. So I still have the slug in me. When I had an X-Ray about 1 month later....it had already developed scar tissue around it and the Dr. said it wasn't going anywhere.

I won't lie...it changes you. Up to that point, I thought I was superman as I had a pretty bad upbringing. My dad was a boxer, so he had me fighting pretty early.

After that, I toned it down a lot and started avoiding situations that could get me into trouble.
      11-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #259
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's redundant.

Yeah....I had a guy that picked a fight with me the night before it happened over something stupid, and he happened to not be as skilled as he thought. I ended it quickly, but nothing excessive like stomping on his head or anything, and thought that was it.

The next night as I was coming out of the same place, he was waiting on me and shot me. Good thing he was a bad aim. He was on the ground and I was on the deck coming down, so the bullet entered my left hip just 2" below my waist. Knocked my leg out from under me and bruised my entire hip.

Doctors told me that there were so many nerves in that area, that if he tried to cut it out I could end up with a permanent limp. So I still have the slug in me. When I had an X-Ray about 1 month later....it had already developed scar tissue around it and the Dr. said it wasn't going anywhere.

I won't lie...it changes you. Up to that point, I thought I was superman as I had a pretty bad upbringing. My dad was a boxer, so he had me fighting pretty early.

After that, I toned it down a lot and started avoiding situations that could get me into trouble.
Damn man. That is intense. I'm glad you survived that situation. There's a really valid message buried within your story, and it is this: many people can't take an honest ass whooping these days, and winning a fight will likely result in the person who lost the fight coming back with a firearm the "level" things out. Being a proficient fighter has a 50/50 chance of exacerbating an altercation, so verbal diffusion is probably the best approach when possible (...and I acknowledge that it isn't always an option).
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      11-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #260
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Damn man. That is intense. I'm glad you survived that situation. There's a really valid message buried within your story, and it is this: many people can't take an honest ass whooping these days, and winning a fight will likely result in the person who lost the fight coming back with a firearm the "level" things out. Being a proficient fighter has a 50/50 chance of exacerbating an altercation, so verbal diffusion is probably the best approach when possible (...and I acknowledge that it isn't always an option).
Best to just walk away. To your car. Drive home - within the speed limits, of course - and stay there 'til you cool down.
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      11-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #261
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree completely. It's not like it was 20 years ago when you settled things and then dropped them....people these days want to get even. I don't want to have to be looking over my back constantly.

After this, I stopped boxing (outgrew my weight class) and picked up Aikido. That really helped with my "Type A" personality...plus later on as I started teaching it, we taught a lot of the LE in our area. Some of the stories I would hear from them just reinforced my ideas that people these days are crazy.

That event and then eventually becoming a parent changed my entire outlook. I go out of my way to avoid trouble, and found out I was pretty good at diffusing situations. I can read people pretty easily. You can tell by someone's eyes and posture if they are a talker or a fighter within 30 seconds or less.

I would only do that kind of stuff now as a last resort like my family or myself in harms way.

That's why I respect you guys so much. You have to deal with it on a daily basis. When younger I couldn't deal with somebody "mouthy". Now I can just walk away. But you still have a job to do so it isn't that simple.

My brother had so many people telling him that if they had to do it again now, they wouldn't bother as times have changed. They thought him crazy for wanting to get into LE during this age.

You guys are human and have bad days like the rest of us, but you have to "swallow" it and do your job objectively.

My daughter while in college (Medical Field) was engaged to the Coroners nephew. His dad also trained the SWAT team in our area. But she did sort of an internship with his uncle one summer. The stories I heard were just horrible and sad...it makes you question what are people becoming. I know it's a small part of the population, but that part is what you guys deal with on a regular basis.

So I don't take it lightly when I say I appreciate your service.
      11-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #262
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I agree completely. It's not like it was 20 years ago when you settled things and then dropped them....people these days want to get even. I don't want to have to be looking over my back constantly.

After this, I stopped boxing (outgrew my weight class) and picked up Aikido. That really helped with my "Type A" personality...plus later on as I started teaching it, we taught a lot of the LE in our area. Some of the stories I would hear from them just reinforced my ideas that people these days are crazy.

That event and then eventually becoming a parent changed my entire outlook. I go out of my way to avoid trouble, and found out I was pretty good at diffusing situations. I can read people pretty easily. You can tell by someone's eyes and posture if they are a talker or a fighter within 30 seconds or less.

I would only do that kind of stuff now as a last resort like my family or myself in harms way.

That's why I respect you guys so much. You have to deal with it on a daily basis. When younger I couldn't deal with somebody "mouthy". Now I can just walk away. But you still have a job to do so it isn't that simple.

My brother had so many people telling him that if they had to do it again now, they wouldn't bother as times have changed. They thought him crazy for wanting to get into LE during this age.

You guys are human and have bad days like the rest of us, but you have to "swallow" it and do your job objectively.

My daughter while in college (Medical Field) was engaged to the Coroners nephew. His dad also trained the SWAT team in our area. But she did sort of an internship with his uncle one summer. The stories I heard were just horrible and sad...it makes you question what are people becoming. I know it's a small part of the population, but that part is what you guys deal with on a regular basis.

So I don't take it lightly when I say I appreciate your service.
I appreciate that. People should read your post a few times and really let it digest. People at home relaxing in the comfort of their living room couches while critiquing police (...which is warranted sometimes) think this job is easy, and it's far from it.

Good on you for teaching LE the arts. Krav Maga and BJJ (..often practiced while wearing a vest, duty belt and gun that has been rendered incapable of discharging a bullet) are two really common/efficient arts that we train regularly. I've always liked Aikido as well.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
scostu1619.50
      11-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #263
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
I have exchanged gunfire with criminals in the past
ugh
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #264
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
I have exchanged gunfire with criminals in the past
ugh
Life starts flashing before your eyes at a fast pace during such an intense moment.
Appreciate 0