BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-29-2022, 09:59 PM   #1
Tyga11
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Are there any options traders on here?

So the past couple of days I've been trading options. I bought calls on Microsoft, Apple & Meta. Came up with each trade. I invested $500 total for each trade and it was pretty cool to see how much money you can make when the stock goes up like 1%. I made $200 on Meta today after a 1.5% swing.

Seems like it's easy money if you have an algorithm or software of some sort?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 10:37 PM   #2
dangerus_car
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

you make easy money, but you also lose easy money. with options, you must have total control of every movement.

yes, now stock is in bullish mode for the past week. you make easy money, just wait when you buy calls then the market turn.

tell me if you are not stressing up over 30%-40% loss
Appreciate 2
paquet526.50
vreihen169040.00
      07-29-2022, 11:02 PM   #3
Tyga11
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
you make easy money, but you also lose easy money. with options, you must have total control of every movement.

yes, now stock is in bullish mode for the past week. you make easy money, just wait when you buy calls then the market turn.

tell me if you are not stressing up over 30%-40% loss
I've been monitoring the market pretty extensively since the Pandemic. Seems like it's pretty easy to time trades especially when the market is in a free fall / going up.

I bought calls on META today when it was down 3.50% mid morning because I saw the market turning. Sold at the close when it was down 1%.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 06:17 AM   #4
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I don’t trade options but I do use them to manage some of my stocks. Options are a derivative, and derivatives are inherently more volatile, so it is a different game. They also are almost always going to be taxed as short-term gains/losses. And playing options instead of the underlying stock means no dividends if that stock pays them.

Way back in the middle of the last century I read a book called “Options as a Strategic Investment” and learned the Black-Scholes math and several options strategies. I was very active with options in the late 1970s and early 80s, but once I started really working my career I found I didn’t have time to watch them as closely as I needed to (this before instant Internet pricing). I built computer models on my first PC and used that for a while, but those are long gone now.

Since I retired and have time again, I have gotten back into writing covered calls, but that is about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 01:08 AM   #5
RonronEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

There are so many ways to use options, I would use them as lotto tickets. I usually buy calls with strike prices way outside the money for between $100-$200 depending on what I see in the news, forums, Reddit (lol), etc. Most the time they see some early gains, which I never sell of course, then expire worthless. I find they require a lot of attention to be successful due to the high volatility and have generally moved away from them, but they can be very useful for those who have a good handle on their mechanics.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 01:17 AM   #6
OkieSnuffBox
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Seems like it's easy money if you have an algorithm or software of some sort?
This is why they built a new and faster internet pipeline between Wall St and NJ a few years ago. NJ is where all the supercomputers are.

The vast majority of trades are done this way these days built on incredibly sophisticated algorithms.
Appreciate 0