BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

03-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
madsbn
Registered
Rep
Drives: e60

E60 stopped burning oil but still grey/blue smoke

Hi,

My old e60 m54 had been burning alot of oil for a quite a while. Atleast 1 liter pr. 1000 km. And alot of grey/blue smoke.

The oil i was using was the standard 0w-30 oil supplied by bmw, so i tried changing to a thicker 5w-40. It did reduce the oil consumption a bit but it didn't stop it.

I added some liqui moly additives which should soften seals and o-rings.

After that the oil consumption stopped, but there is still quite a bit of grey/blue smoke from the exhaust.

Since there is almost no oil consumption now, can that smoke be from sludge build up or because it has been burning oil for a long time?

At first I was thinking about doing an engine flush, but i'm not sure it is a good idea if the seals are in a bad condition.

So instead i was thinking about maybe adding some valve cleaner to the gasoline.

Please let me know if you think this could help solve my problems or if you have any other recommendations.

It is an old car from 2004 with 200.000 km on it so i really don't want to spend too much money on it.

Best Regards
Mads
Appreciate 0