BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

04-12-2021, 07:18 AM   #1
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

"Nico needed 1,000 laps, Lewis was there in two"

Some interesting quotes from Mercedes’ chief strategist, James Vowles:

From https://www.planetf1.com/news/nico-r...hamilton-laps/

“Looking through the data, if you give Nico a thousand laps, he slowly iterates towards an incredible performance level. If you give Lewis two, he’s there, if that makes any sense,” said Vowles during the Beyond The Grid podcast.

“Where Nico was excellent was if you give him time in the car to see what his team-mate’s doing, he’s incredible what he achieves. That’s where he was good – he could continuously adapt and evolve if he had sufficient amounts of time under his belt."

My 2 cents: In 2016, the year Rosberg "beat" Hamilton, Hamilton had more wins and more podiums, but one additional retirement. That was the difference in the championship.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
yco5722.50
Poiseuille5362.00
      04-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Some interesting quotes from Mercedes’ chief strategist, James Vowles:

From https://www.planetf1.com/news/nico-r...hamilton-laps/

“Looking through the data, if you give Nico a thousand laps, he slowly iterates towards an incredible performance level. If you give Lewis two, he’s there, if that makes any sense,” said Vowles during the Beyond The Grid podcast.

“Where Nico was excellent was if you give him time in the car to see what his team-mate’s doing, he’s incredible what he achieves. That’s where he was good – he could continuously adapt and evolve if he had sufficient amounts of time under his belt."

My 2 cents: In 2016, the year Rosberg "beat" Hamilton, Hamilton had more wins and more podiums, but one additional retirement. That was the difference in the championship.
Yes. This is one of Sir Lewis's greatest strengths. He learns tracks so quickly that it's actually shocking.

And the craziest thing is that Lewis has 2 major anomalistic failures that cost him championships:

The big end bearing failure in Malaysia on a brand new Mercedes PU culminating a season where he had 90% of the engine failures at Mercedes Benz for the 2016 F1 season.

The transmission temporary failure in 2007 on the last race of the season which, to the knowledge of a friend of mine in Canada who worked for McLaren at the time swears, was induced by McLaren to keep Lewis from winning the championship in a deal with Max Mosely and Ron Dennis. There wasn't to that point and hasn't been since, a failure of that type in a Formula One car's transmission.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 4
jkoral1016.00
irunalot1515.50
Poiseuille5362.00
AmuroRay2165.00
      04-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
The transmission temporary failure in 2007 on the last race of the season which, to the knowledge of a friend of mine in Canada who worked for McLaren at the time swears, was induced by McLaren to keep Lewis from winning the championship in a deal with Max Mosely and Ron Dennis. There wasn't to that point and hasn't been since, a failure of that type in a Formula One car's transmission.
2007? you mean the espionage year controversy involving Ferrari and McLaren, which led to McLaren being excluded from the Constructors' Championship. McLaren cheated! Can't claim a championship in a car that doesn't exist. The "Peoples Champ" won it fair and square!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Rosberg was driving more dirty than Schumacher's some time to time behaviors..

he doesnt have much fans and even these days when he is up in the commentators room talking.. you can still feel it.. he is a fast driver for sure but as his human side he is no match for Lewis as well..

and for the topic the season he won the tittle he had to use his capability like 130%.. and he knew he wont be able to do it again against Lewis and he retired..

this incident is his true color still.. braking away from the barriers, keep flicking the steering wheel.. how cheap act it is..

MKSixer34171.50
Poiseuille5362.00
      04-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
this incident is his true color still.. braking away from the barriers, keep flicking the steering wheel.. how cheap act it is..
Just recently stumbled across this clip with Brundle needling Rosberg about it. Rosberg doth protest too much. Hamilton called it in your clip above and I give more credence to F1 drivers.

Appreciate 2
yco5722.50
MKSixer34171.50
      04-12-2021, 10:15 PM   #6
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
2007? you mean the espionage year controversy involving Ferrari and McLaren, which led to McLaren being excluded from the Constructors' Championship. McLaren cheated! Can't claim a championship in a car that doesn't exist. The "Peoples Champ" won it fair and square!
Kimi isn't the people's champion. He's a guy that consistently phoned it in when he had top cars and was gifted a championship when Ferrari pitted Massa to switch places.

Real champions win it on the track. #luckiestchampionever.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:28 AM   #7
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Back to the OP...ISTM that the comment applies also to Verstappen.
He can be fast but he doesn't have the same natural talent as Hamilton.
Every now and again a standout driver arrives in F1 who seems to have that innate ability to make their car seem faster than it had the right to be.
Senna the most obvious....but most all the multiple champions in modern F1 had that gift.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
Poiseuille5362.00
      04-16-2021, 11:56 PM   #8
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I miss Nico, if he hadn't retired he might have saved us a ton of boredom over the past few years and actually given Hamilton some competition.

He beat him once over a season, it would have been interesting to see if he could do it again but we'll never know. Bottas just doesn't have it, he'll forever be a number 2 and will never threaten Hamilton.
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2021, 02:50 AM   #9
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I miss Nico, if he hadn't retired he might have saved us a ton of boredom over the past few years and actually given Hamilton some competition.

He beat him once over a season, it would have been interesting to see if he could do it again but we'll never know. Bottas just doesn't have it, he'll forever be a number 2 and will never threaten Hamilton.
I liked Nico early days but that move at Monaco was so obviously a cheat...never felt the same about him after that.
He was a fast racer but not quite at Hamiltons level..he won his championship due a certain amount of luck with LHs mechanical problems but its his championship and he was smart to retire with it in his hand.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50