BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

View Poll Results: Which watch maker's design do you like best?
A. Lange & Sonne 18 7.69%
Audemars Piguet 37 15.81%
Bedat 0 0%
Bell & Ross 20 8.55%
Blancpain 6 2.56%
Breguet 4 1.71%
Breitling 63 26.92%
Cartier 19 8.12%
Chopard 7 2.99%
Concord 2 0.85%
Corum 4 1.71%
Frank Muller 6 2.56%
Hublot 40 17.09%
Patek Philippe 39 16.67%
Panerai 59 25.21%
Omega 64 27.35%
Ulysse Nardin 14 5.98%
Vacheron Constantin 7 2.99%
Timex 6 2.56%
Hamilton 10 4.27%
Citizen 14 5.98%
Seiko 8 3.42%
Movado 10 4.27%
Rolex 82 35.04%
Krieger 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

07-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #45
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Yes, nobody needs a $6K watch. Just as nobody needs a BMW. Both are indulgences.
Eh, I paid less for my 335i coupe than I would have for a new BRZ or even Camry. Indulgence? Probably - I mean, I could be driving a Focus or something. But the value for money is pretty solid when buying used, and you find a car in good shape.

I don't have a $6K watch, but I do have a couple that would probably be worth close to $1K if in top shape (I wear them though and don't fuss about little nicks and scratches.) I consider that somewhat extravagant, but then again, if someone has a problem with it, it's their problem not mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #46
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM135iAM View Post
Tag has a lot of history unlike Citizen. Not that Citizen doesn't have it's share of history and innovation (Eco Drive). Tag has had many innovations in the watch making world. Specifically in the automotive racing industry. Which if I am correct this is an automotive forum. I would think one would like anything that has to do with automotive history, like TAG Heuer. To often people forget that a watch used to be a necessity for individuals in certain industries. Hamilton is a good example of a company with history. Hamilton was a leader in an industry that time keeping was crucial. They played a huge role in the railroad system, and for you history nuts the railroad system was a huge factor in our time zones. When I'm looking into a watch company I look at the history that they have made and the innovations that have brought into the watch making.
Yes, history is important to some people and definitely does make a product more interesting... (would we be here now if it weren't for the 2002tii or 3.0CSL?)

Unfortunately I think that Heuer has a definite history with motorsports and timed sports in general but I'd rather have a vintage Heuer than a new TAG. Just MHO.

Other brands with real history - for dive watches, definitely Rolex (even though they get shit today, their innovations back in the day are undeniable) and Blancpain (oh, would I love a vintage Fifty Fathoms...) and at least in my mind Vostok as well... don't believe me, look up the case design for the Amphibia, it's phenomenally simple yet effective, and better yet easily accessible to the average guy, if you want to add one to your collection. The dial art is, um, not for everyone and the lume and bezel both suck but it is a great example of an elegant and simple case design that in all honesty is better than either Rolex or Blancpain.

For dress watches, Patek is where it's at for me... just my opinion.

Military watches - you could make a case for any number of mfgrs. but I'd love to find a broad arrow JLC! Of course for more modern stuff you have to consider Marathon, although they're not particularly innovative they are good solid watches with a unique style.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many but those are the ones that pop into my head after a little bit of thinking.

I've become partial to dive watches for daily wear... I'm not a particularly dressy kind of guy and while I like vintage stuff there's nothing like coming in from the rain and watching the inside of the crystal of your vintage Longines fog up (not that that's ever happened to me, no, never...)

Edit: good lord I'm talking about history and forgot the Omega Speedmaster! I deserve a slap upside the head for that one.

Last edited by N8N; 07-16-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #47
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

I picked Omega, Rolex, Seiko, and Breitling, but I'm not much of a watch guy myself. My very first watch was an $80 Fossil watch that I got in the 8th grade. Now I have a $200 Seiko. Part of my rationale for spending no more than $200 on a watch is that I don't particularly care about watches, and part of it is because I would feel guilty spending my dad's money on something so frivolous even if he can easily afford more. He wears a $300 seiko himself, so I'd also feel pretty sheepish wearing a watch that's more expensive than my dad's watch given that he's paying for both of them. -

I prefer watches that look like that.

Someone posted a Rolex oyster perpetual deep sea watch that looks similar , IMO, although IIRC it costs anywhere from 20 to 100 times as much as the Seiko -

Anything that looks like that is fine with me. I love the sheen on that Rolex.

But, I'll likely stick with the Seiko until it gets scuffed beyond recognition (which may not happen, to be honest). And even then I'd still keep it as a memento.

My one conspicuous consumption habit is fine dining. I'm the kind of guy who will take a trip to Vegas and pay no more than $30 or $40/night on a hotel room, but I'll splurge (often) on a $1000 3 Michelin star meal, for example. Really great food excites me. Watches? Meh, not so much. My one "luxury"-related goal in life is to visit all 80 or 81 three michelin-star restaurants on earth before I die.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #48
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

Hublot big bang! Never had an expensive watch before. Movado and Tag was max. But this Hublot is awesome looking. Don't know why its costs a lot but sure looks cool!!

Last edited by badazzm; 07-16-2013 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #49
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

seems like most poeple are picking brands they are most likely to own like Omega, Panerai, Rolex, Breitling and have seen in print ads.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #50
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
My one "luxury"-related goal in life is to visit all 80 or 81 three michelin-star restaurants on earth before I die.
I'm also a big food person. My advice is try not to hold them up too high. I've found that a lot Michelin starred restaurants are overhyped. There's also lots of excellent restaurants out there that aren't recognized. You just kind of have to explore with an open mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #51
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
... I'm not much of a watch guy myself. ... but I'll splurge (often) on a $1000 3 Michelin star mea...Really great food excites me. ...
There's a watch brand you may find interesting. It's called Red8. They aren't fancy or expensive, but they are quite cool looking and you can design the look of yours yourself. So what you get for your money is unique to you. And, they have great innards.

All the best and ty for your comments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #52
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
I'm also a big food person. My advice is try not to hold them up too high. I've found that a lot Michelin starred restaurants are overhyped. There's also lots of excellent restaurants out there that aren't recognized. You just kind of have to explore with an open mind.
I don't know if you're familiar with Brian Regan but he makes a nice joke about this. He said if he was ever given a $1000 plate of food he'd have to send it back on principle because even if it was good it probably wouldn't be "$1000 good." For $1000 he'd want 24K gold shavings on his pasta or something

No but I agree with you. I think the jump from 2 star Michelin to 3 star
Michelin is pretty negligible and mostly has to do with service. And, more generally some of them can be overhyped, although I don't think I've ever had a bad meal at a Michelin star restaurant (1, 2, or 3).

I live in Texas and we don't really have any Michelin star restaurants here anyway, and we have plenty of options that are Michelin star-calibre but just don't have the exposure like you said.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #53
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
Hublot big bang! Never had an expensive watch before. Movado and Tag was max. But this Hublot is awesome looking. Don't know why its costs a lot but sure looks cool!!
Presumably, they are advanced technologically -- more so than most other brands -- and they use fancy metals from which to craft their watches. I really like the look of them, if not the price. LOL. I need to add some other more common watches into my assortment before I pick up a Hublot. Even so, they are, I'm led to believe, on par with other high quality watches.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #54
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
... if someone has a problem with it, it's their problem not mine.
Amen!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #55
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There's a watch brand you may find interesting. It's called Red8. They aren't fancy or expensive, but they are quite cool looking and you can design the look of yours yourself. So what you get for your money is unique to you. And, they have great innards.

All the best and ty for your comments.
Huh, interesting. I'll definitely check them out if I'm ever in the market for another watch
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #56
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I didn't vote, but you'll get my vote for the Reverso. They are beautiful watches. They are in general on the small side, the Squadras are thick, the Grande Reversos are a bit larger but still smallish by today's standards. I suspect ladies models to be very small. Someday I'll own a steel Grande Reverso Duo.

They're considered the first "sports watch", designed for Polo players so they could flip the watch over so they'd be protected.

Quote:
It's astounding to me that there's a whole cadre of folks hemming and hawing about Tag, but at least one very noteworthy brand, JLC, is also not on my list. Another notable omission is Piaget. Yet, I haven't seen one devotee of either of those brands make a fuss over it. Fans of Franck Muller didn't fuss over my misspelling the brand's name either. Why might that be? I suggest that it's because neither those folks, nor the watch brands, need validation from a list on B-post. They know the watch they favor is among the finest in the world and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it. Ditto Oris, which fittingly enough has a connection with BMW.

In short, there are plenty of watches that actually deserve to be championed, particularly those from some generally unknown independent watch makers, to say nothing of the greats like JLC, Piaget, Glashutte, and others. I don't mind that folks are singing Tag's praises, deserved or not (it's not really my place or desire to say), what I do mind is them telling me there's something wrong with my list because Tag's not on it. The ones there are the ones I was curious about.

The reason for my curiosity was to find out what young people -- and most folks that participate on B-post are young to me -- think about the watches I listed. My kids are all approaching a graduation of one sort or other and as this forum is my sole "contact" with a large number of younger folks (18-25 year olds), I wanted to see what such folks thought of the brands I listed for a couple of them are brands I'm considering as graduation gifts.

Tag isn't one I'm going to buy, regardless of what folks thought. My daughter already has said she wants a Reverso, so that's likely what she'll get (not it gold, but it'll still be a Reverso). I don't care what folks think about the Reverso; I approve of her choice and I like that watch too, so much so that I may buy one for myself also. My middle child will finish a year behind my daughter and it was mostly for his benefit that I created the list.

Thanks all for your contributions apologies for not stating my intention at the outset. I really just wanted the votes.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #57
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post

Edit: good lord I'm talking about history and forgot the Omega Speedmaster! I deserve a slap upside the head for that one.
Shameful as it is, it's okay. LOL.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #58
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
seems like most poeple are picking brands they are most likely to own like Omega, Panerai, Rolex, Breitling and have seen in print ads.
If ever one needed proof that marketing works. LOL

I don't care what folks like, be it a heavily marketed brand or not. I just wanted to know.

I have to say, I'm surprised by the popularity of Panerai. Nothing wrong with liking it, I just didn't expect it.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #59
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

Yea, missing Richard Mile and U-Boat for me. Also noticed no IWC and other not on their...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #60
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I really like my Panerai. They have a big following.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #61
KellyK
Lady Driven
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 128i

no nixon?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #62
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
no nixon?
Nope. No Kennedy, Truman, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton or Obama either.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #63
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
F them all... Skagen, baby! LOL

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #64
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
If ever one needed proof that marketing works. LOL

I don't care what folks like, be it a heavily marketed brand or not. I just wanted to know.

I have to say, I'm surprised by the popularity of Panerai. Nothing wrong with liking it, I just didn't expect it.
I'm a fan of panerai just haven't gotten one yet. My next purchase will be pam 372 I think it is or tag monaco.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #65
KellyK
Lady Driven
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 128i

Quote:
Certainly no Obama!

Name:  nixon.jpg
Views: 4829
Size:  412.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #66
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I'm a fan of panerai just haven't gotten one yet. My next purchase will be pam 372 I think it is or tag monaco.
Clearly a very popular brand.

Truly, I expected Rolex and Omega to be among the more popular brands. I expected to hear a lot of outcry for some really stellar brands like JLC and Piaget since they make their own watch innards. And I thought Patek, A. Lange and Audemars would be farther up the popularity scale.

I had no idea folks would holler so much about Tag, most of which despite being nice enough watches, except for a couple things they've done lately, like the Silverstone which is similar to a Heuer watch of old, aren't especially noteworthy. I really like some of the '60s and '70s Heuers though. And to repeat, I have a couple Tags, so I'm not totally dissing the brand, just all the commotion over it.

Personally, I think if one sees a Tag that appeals and one just wants it, buy it. That's how I cam by mine, but that also happened before I decided that I like watches enough to make my interest in them a somewhat more serious hobby than just having a few. I don't really think it matters what watch one buys if one likes it, for that's the most important criterion behind any purchase. It's a different story if one is trying to build a collection, but even in that case, the collection will have more import if it's a reflection of something about the owner. If the collection says nothing about you, it belongs in a museum, not your home.

Appreciate 0