BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

12-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
spooner1sm
Bimmer Baby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 528xi

528xi Steering Issue

I've owned my 2008 528xi for about 2 weeks, probably put 300 miles on it since. I'm having some weird feedback when steering though.

I've got to flush the power steering fluid. I noticed this pretty quickly as the car makes that beautiful groaning noise when I turn the steering wheel to full lock. However, about 2 days ago, I've noticed when going through turns at low speed with the wheel rotated above ~60% either side, there's a very noticeable judder. It's hard to describe exactly what it feels like. I can feel it in my feet, the wheel, and in the seat (though not as much). Almost as if the front wheel was losing traction maybe? And this morning, starting from cold (freezing outside) and getting rolling, there was a creaking/groaning noise for about half a second when I began turning the wheel just before the juddering/rumbling began.

I seem to only be experiencing this feeling when turning from stopped. If I'm carrying decent speed (such as if I'm the 3rd car at a stop light or am slowing down to make the turn), I don't get that feedback. It only seems to be when I'm applying power.

Has anyone else experienced a feeling like this? I'm hoping it's just the PS fluid needing to be changed (I literally have a pint of CHF11S in the trunk right now). The level seems correct (despite the reservoir looking grimy and wet-ish on one spot on the outside) when I check it, but I'm gonna get to changing it tomorrow when it's not raining.

I did plug in my OBD scanner though (TPM Malfunction threw up today but resolved itself when I reset it), and I do have a code 54C4 on the transfer case - "VTG: Oil wear, Fault currently present, Value too high, Fault would not cause a warning lamp to light up." Seems to have come up right around/just after I bought the car. So I guess I've got to get the oil changed in the transfer case, but I'm worried that I might have a bigger issue with the transfer case, as some of the forums report bad transfer cases acting similarly to my issue (which is also similar feedback for PS fluid/steering rack issues). Am what I feeling a sign of an issue with the AWD system, perhaps AWD disengaging entirely?

Just looking for pointers here while I go about flushing my PS fluid to hopefully solve the issue. If it's not solved, I need to know whether to look at the steering rack/pump or the transfer case. Sucks, cause I literally had the thing in the shop for a diagnosis the other day and it came back clean. Should have asked them to do the PS fluid while I was at it
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:24 AM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

528xi Steering Issue

I can't imagine why a transfer case problem would manifest itself in the steering, although you should change the oil and reset the adaptations.

You could do the turkey baster method on the PS to change out some of the fluid instead of a full rack flush just to see if that improves the shudder, although if you are getting the VTG life minder warning, your car is up there on miles and it may just be the PS pump going. The PS bomb always seems to have fluid seeping out of the connections, so I'd say that is pretty normal.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
spooner1sm
Bimmer Baby
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
I can't imagine why a transfer case problem would manifest itself in the steering, although you should change the oil and reset the adaptations.
Yeah I'll definitely get that oil changed. Thinking I'll coincide it with a PS leak check/reservoir replacement and an oil change just because I'm feeling lazy and don't want to do those things in the cold. Was really just wondering about the TC because it sits up at the front near the PS rack and from what I've read on the forums, when it goes bad, it provides similar-ish feedback to PS issues. Hard for me to discern though, as this is my first AWD, first BMW, and first time I've had PS issues, so it's difficult for me to tell the different issues apart from feel/sound, especially based on what I can find online.

Quote:
You could do the turkey baster method on the PS to change out some of the fluid instead of a full rack flush just to see if that improves the shudder
Yep, that's exactly what I was going to do today. Found a jug to keep the old fluid in as well as an old turkey baster. Was going to combine and drain until I use all the fluid and see where it gets me. Hopefully it solves the issue and I can start driving with my music on again lol.

Quote:
although if you are getting the VTG life minder warning, your car is up there on miles and it may just be the PS pump going. The PS bomb always seems to have fluid seeping out of the connections, so I'd say that is pretty normal.
Yeah, 125,000. It's been well-kept. All recalls kept up with, regular oil changes, lots of sensors have been replaced, tensioner/pulley/serpentine belt have all been replaced, flushed transmission fluid, the works really. Only thing that hasn't been touched to my knowledge is the power steering. Had it in the shop the other day because a piece of heat shielding on the undercarriage came loose and I didn't have the equipment to get to it. Asked them to run a diagnostic while they had it, but for whatever reason they didn't mention the VTG error and definitely didn't check the PS system for leaks/faults. Bit miffed, because I would have gotten them to do those while they had the car. Oh well. I'll take it in again to get the TC oil changed, and while it's there I'll get them to check the full PS system. Hopefully the pump can hold on for another 5,000-10,000mi - really don't want to spend cash on the replacement right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #4
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Mine is a similar age/mileage. Other than changing the fluid, I haven't had any issues with the TC or the PS for that matter. While you're there, you might as well change the differential oils, too as they are likely original.

I used the stopper method of changing the TC oil through the drain... you'll understand what I mean when you research the DIYs. Trying to fill it from the actual fill plug is a huge PITA.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
spooner1sm
Bimmer Baby
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

So I've completed full flush one, as in, one full pint of CHF 11S has been put into my system. Even after that, though, the fluid was still coming out murky. Gotta run and grab another can so I can flush again tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever mechanic last changed the fluid used ATF instead of CHF 11S. Came out smelling hella burnt and in the baster, definitely had a brownish/reddish color. Hopefully full flush number 2 gets the job done.

What I have noticed is the steering wheel feels a little more responsive. Full-lock groan isn't fully gone but quieter. However, I'm still having that rumbling/shuddering feeling. After doing tight circles in a parking lot for a few minutes, it can be best described as if I'm driving over gravel/loose stones. It's not as noticeable on the right side anymore, though there's a very quiet grinding noise that only appears when the steering wheel hits about 80%. Meanwhile, the shuddering feels worse on the left side, occurring when the wheel hits about 75% and getting more violent the closer I get to full lock.

For reference, the car had a rotation, alignment, wheel balance, brake pad, and brake rotor change about 400 miles ago. The wheels are nearing 5 years old and have about 45,000 miles on them, but they're still at about 7/32" (5-6mm) of tread all around. Tire pressure okay. OEM wheels so I can't imagine it's any rubbing issue. I think I can feel the shuddering issue a little bit on the left side while braking in a straight-ish line, but the roads around me are really uneven so I might just be paranoid there.

Any more thoughts? I'm hoping another full PS flush will resolve the issue, but I'm feeling more and more inclined that I'm experiencing a steering rack (gearbox?) or overall pump issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 10:32 PM   #6
spooner1sm
Bimmer Baby
United_States
Rep

Another update for those who care:

2 weekends ago, I did another PS flush. Still getting some groan when I full lock the steering wheel and the reservoir, while green-coloured, is still pretty murky. Probably just need to get the reservoir replaced as I'm sure the filter in it is absolutely dusted.

This past weekend, I cleaned my VANOS solenoids. It was something I'd been meaning to get to, but other items ended up taking priority. I got the usual benefits of cleaning the solenoids - smoother ride, cleaner idle, better gas mileage, etc. Most interestingly, though, my shuddering issue when turning actually got better after the cleaning. This leads me to believe that at least part of my shuddering was a power/misfiring issue in the engine that made the power application when steering wonky.

For the next two days after the cleaning, I couldn't get the steering shuddering to replicate. Another couple of days after that, it's started to come back, but not nearly as viciously as before. While it used to feel like I was driving over loose gravel (or sometimes, my entire front wheel lmao), it now instead feels more like a wobble with some very light power fluctuation. Additionally, the issue crops up much less frequently - only when the steering wheel is fully-locked and applying power too suddenly. If I let the engine work its way through the turn, it remains a slight wobble without any feeling of power fluctuation.

I've got about 4000 miles until my next oil change. Was planning on getting myself a birthday present of a proper jack and stands and doing it myself, but I do need to get that 1000-mile-old transfer case fluid warning addressed. Might as well get the diffs flushed and my power steering looked at at the same time. So, unless something starts getting noticeably worse, I'm just going to keep dailying her for a few months. So that's where I'm at for now.

I guess on a side note, she's not riding as smooth as other bimmers I've driven. There's some noticeable vibration and road noise (but not unmanageable) that increases with speed. Additionally, despite getting an alignment about 2000 miles ago, it's already pulling to the right (I do wonder if there was a mishap when the brake rotors got replaced shortly afterward). Tyres have about 40,000 on them and I plan to get fresh wheels at the same time to replace the stock rims, which might help with the problem if it's merely a traction or bent wheel issue. However, amidst that, I probably need to get the bearings, axle, and whole suspension checked. These areas could very much be contributing to my steering issue, but with so many things to check over, any one thing could be doing it really. Ah well.

Thanks for following my adventure so far. I'm still having an absolute blast with the car and have all sorts of ideas I want to pursue. Though, like getting a stone out of your shoe, I'm really looking forward to hopping back on this thread in the near future and going "EVERYTHING'S PERFECT!" Until then, happy driving, lads.
Appreciate 0