BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

01-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Opinions of Sony A7r

Background: Currently own a Canon 7D. Mainly shoot cars, product shots, and sometimes take it on vacation with me. Use my strobes for the majority of shoots (Alien Bees). Haven't really used the camera in about a year due to many factors (mainly work) however I have been itching to get back into it again and was thinking a new toy would help lol.

Current: I keep hearing about the Sony A7r and have been wondering about selling my 7d to buy it. I like the idea of having a lighter, more compact SLR that I can take around with me more easily and still keep the image quality up.

Just started looking into this and was wondering how you guys think the 2 cameras compare and some pros/cons. Worth making the jump?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I am no expert but I do own the A7 and I absolutely love it. After playing with both I would definitely recommend the R especially if you are a pixel peeper.

There are really great lenses available (Zeiss & G) and there are lens adapters that should allow your Canon lenses to work with the Sony. The money lenses are the SEL55F18Z and the SEL70200G. Image quality of both is stunning. I also have the SEL2470Z and the SEL35F28Z and they do a great job as well. There's a wide angle that just hit the market that's getting great reviews as well (SEL1635z). The "non-Z" lens is garbage so avoid it at all costs.

One thing to note is that the camera is not the fastest so if you like to capture motion it may not be on par with your 7D. I can say the image quality and colors are absolutely breathtaking.

The NFC/WiFi feature is fantastic. I use it frequently for quick posts to FB and the like.

It's quite an investment however my camera bag has never been lighter which means I have more options at my disposal more times than before. Like they say the best camera you have is the one you have with you.

Hope this helps!
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfutures
I am no expert but I do own the A7 and I absolutely love it. After playing with both I would definitely recommend the R especially if you are a pixel peeper.

There are really great lenses available (Zeiss & G) and there are lens adapters that should allow your Canon lenses to work with the Sony. The money lenses are the SEL55F18Z and the SEL70200G. Image quality of both is stunning. I also have the SEL2470Z and the SEL35F28Z and they do a great job as well. There's a wide angle that just hit the market that's getting great reviews as well (SEL1635z). The "non-Z" lens is garbage so avoid it at all costs.

One thing to note is that the camera is not the fastest so if you like to capture motion it may not be on par with your 7D. I can say the image quality and colors are absolutely breathtaking.

The NFC/WiFi feature is fantastic. I use it frequently for quick posts to FB and the like.

It's quite an investment however my camera bag has never been lighter which means I have more options at my disposal more times than before. Like they say the best camera you have is the one you have with you.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the input! Great to hear from an A7 owner.

Anybody else have any input?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
atwoody
Rep
Drives: Audi

My a7 I picked up used has served me well these past few months, quality image
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
atwoody
Rep
Drives: Audi

The more you look at the it the more you'll realize what a good choice with this camera. http://thedigitalcamera.net/sony-a7-...on-glare-test/
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
Trijicon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Yeah the A7 + 55/1.8 is an awesome combo. Sharp wide open and bokeh is nice and creamy.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 05:28 AM   #7
Trued
Trued
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3 AERO Convertible

Garage List
I am an expert. I have the a7r. It is a fantastic camera. With the 55mm 1.8 it is one of the 2-3 sharpest lenses in the world and cam make use out of the 36MP.