BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

10-20-2019, 12:00 AM   #1
Demaccus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 525i

Considering buying 2008 - 535xi

Hello!,
Im considering buying a used 2008 - 535xi. The body and interior are in impeccable shape. It has 148k miles and the seller has it priced for 3900. I thought this was a good deal. He says the only problem is the valve cover gasket will need to be changed - there is evidence of having had oil on the engine, Also, the timing belt has not yet been done. I have a 2001 525i that I am replacing the hood and fender from a minor crash. My friend is going to do it for me cheap and we just found all the parts. I know the newer 535xi is much nicer, but does this sound like more trouble than its worth?.....or is this pretty standard problem and the model will likely not have any more haunting, expensive issues. Let me know your thoughts!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:50 AM   #2
slenser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Not sure if it has the oil cooler, but if it does you'll likely need to replace the gasket to that too. Plus once you disconnect the coolant hose; that need replacing. If it doesn't have the cooler the oil filter housing still needs to be replaced.

Make sure your friend has the special 10mm socket needed for the valve cover gasket. It's too long for a regular deep socket
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:15 AM   #3
Wolfgang009
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e60 525i

Hi seems a nice deal. When I bought my 525i 2007 valve cover was also leaking and had to change the valve cover seal, mechatronic seal and camshaft sensor oil seal. The spares do not cost that much but the labour does so I did it myself. I never worked on a 535 but I assume the valve cover is in plastic so when removing take great care and when re installing use proper torque wrench. Try to have a look at this link it might help https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 0