BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-23-2024, 07:17 PM   #1
Canibot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E66

Trying to supe up an older car

Hi! I'm a new owner of a 2007 750Li (e66) sport model. Overall, the car is in decent condition but as usual for older 750's, it needs maintenance. After I fix the car up, I want to make some more horsepower with the vehicle. I want to do an exhaust on it, as well as possibly a new intake system and a tune. My goal hp range is somewhere over 450 whp, the car currently makes about 360. Does anyone have any ideas or share their opinions on how I should go about this process or what I should do differently? I would like to point out that the car was a gift, and I plan to either dog the car put or make it like new and daily drive it.

Last edited by Canibot; 07-24-2024 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Adding more info.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2024, 09:37 PM   #2
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Trade it for a car with an LS motor. You will be faster for a lot less money.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 03:27 AM   #3
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibot View Post
Hi! I'm a new owner of a 2007 750Li (e66) sport model. Overall, the car is in decent condition but as usual for older 750's, it needs maintenance. After I fix the car up, I want to make some more horsepower with the vehicle. I want to do an exhaust on it, as well as possibly a new intake system and a tune. My goal hp range is somewhere over 450 whp, the car currently makes about 360. Does anyone have any ideas or share their opinions on how I should go about this process or what I should do differently?
if you want more power in this body you need to trade it to similar ALPINA B7 car, it will have same engine and G-Power compressor integrated and tuned by a qualified professionals
and you will get 500 HP.
xander_g1055.50
      07-24-2024, 09:06 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
My goal hp range is somewhere over 450 whp, the car currently makes about 360.
Pretty hard to go from 360 crank hp to 450+ rear wheel hp without forced induction on the 4.8L naturally aspirated V8. ESS Tuning may sell a supercharger kit for the N62 that fits.

I’d sell it and buy a car that is faster already. An intake and exhaust and tune on the 2007 750 will help the sound but not get you anywhere remotely close to your power goal. A BMW that is turbo to begin with will be the easiest way to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 09:17 AM   #5
erickonphoenix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I reckon you got an incredible deal on that e65 gen. They're not especially popular so you have money to burn on it.

The same N62 engine was in the e60 550 which most folks that have modded them have gone strait to forced induction. Supercharging is the simplest but changes the character of the motor significantly. The e60 forums might inspire some ideas.

If you haven't done it already do research the known issues with the N62. They're not as bad as the early N63 engine but you need to stay on top of it.
      07-24-2024, 09:30 AM   #6
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i 2022

Don't know BMWs well, but agree with all of the above. Bolt-ons are not going to get you there. I would surmise that intake, exhaust and tune will get you 30ish WHP. And FI can get pricy and brings with it many issues regarding longevity on a NA engine.

Of course, if money is no object...but, I'd "make it like new" and DD it.
      07-24-2024, 09:32 AM   #7
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Trade it for a car with an LS motor. You will be faster for a lot less money.
Neighbor/friend just bought a 2001 Z/28 with a built NA LS1. Dyno'd @ 400 WHP.
Nice clean car. A real steal.
      07-24-2024, 09:46 AM   #8
Canibot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Pretty hard to go from 360 crank hp to 450+ rear wheel hp without forced induction on the 4.8L naturally aspirated V8. ESS Tuning may sell a supercharger kit for the N62 that fits.

I’d sell it and buy a car that is faster already. An intake and exhaust and tune on the 2007 750 will help the sound but not get you anywhere remotely close to your power goal. A BMW that is turbo to begin with will be the easiest way to go.
I was thinking about doing a turbo on the car after I finished college but as of now that's not financially in my reach. What do you think I could get hp wise if I were to make said modifications without the turbo?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 09:47 AM   #9
Canibot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenture View Post
Don't know BMWs well, but agree with all of the above. Bolt-ons are not going to get you there. I would surmise that intake, exhaust and tune will get you 30ish WHP. And FI can get pricy and brings with it many issues regarding longevity on a NA engine.

Of course, if money is no object...but, I'd "make it like new" and DD it.
You dont think it would be a good idea to at least open up airflow through the engine?

And money is definitely an object so.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 09:57 AM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Turbo is expensive and complex to add to a non turbo engine and would require custom tuning. Don’t bother unless the car has sentimental value and you have deep pockets. On some models, like the E36, many have done it so the path is well known (I supercharged and then turbocharged mine), but few modify the E66 750 so turbocharging will not be easy.

I think an exhaust, intake and tuning to match will also be expensive since the market is tiny and the results pretty mild. You might add 10% power, which is enough to feel. Getting rid of cats is illegal and tuners in the US won’t sell you a tune that gets rid of the CEL, which means that in states with OBD2 plug in inspection, you will fail. I had a 2008 E70 X5 4.8i with the same drivetrain and it was a nice car but not very fast. The top end was more impressive than the off the line acceleration.

You will also find the 750i is a complex and expensive car to maintain and repair. MPG is bad, there is much that goes wrong on 15-20 year old BMWs and the fancier models line the 750 are more complex. I’d try to sell it and buy something more moddable and DIY friendly, especially for a young guy on a budget.
Appreciate 1
DrVenture978.00
      07-24-2024, 10:14 AM   #11
Canibot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Turbo is expensive and complex to add to a non turbo engine and would require custom tuning. Don’t bother unless the car has sentimental value and you have deep pockets. On some models, like the E36, many have done it so the path is well known (I supercharged and then turbocharged mine), but few modify the E66 750 so turbocharging will not be easy.

I think an exhaust, intake and tuning to match will also be expensive since the market is tiny and the results pretty mild. You might add 10% power, which is enough to feel. Getting rid of cats is illegal and tuners in the US won’t sell you a tune that gets rid of the CEL, which means that in states with OBD2 plug in inspection, you will fail. I had a 2008 E70 X5 4.8i with the same drivetrain and it was a nice car but not very fast. The top end was more impressive than the off the line acceleration.

You will also find the 750i is a complex and expensive car to maintain and repair. MPG is bad, there is much that goes wrong on 15-20 year old BMWs and the fancier models line the 750 are more complex. I’d try to sell it and buy something more moddable and DIY friendly, especially for a young guy on a budget.
Ok so here is another question for you, since you seem to be decently knowledgeable, I have a 98' 323i Convertible. Would it be worth modding that? The car overheats, might leak oil, and needs a new ignition because someone tried stealing it and broke the switch.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 10:21 AM   #12
Canibot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I reckon you got an incredible deal on that e65 gen. They're not especially popular so you have money to burn on it.

The same N62 engine was in the e60 550 which most folks that have modded them have gone strait to forced induction. Supercharging is the simplest but changes the character of the motor significantly. The e60 forums might inspire some ideas.

If you haven't done it already do research the known issues with the N62. They're not as bad as the early N63 engine but you need to stay on top of it.
Whether I mod the car out to make it fast or not, I'm going to end up driving it as a daily, so I plan stay on top of maintenance with the engine. Alongside all other aspects of the car. One of the reasons I love the car is because of its size, I know the 550 is close in size but I'm not entirely sure if I'm interested in one, If I were to downsize I would go with something lighter probably but Idk I haven't looked into them as much as might consider it. How much do you think I could get for the 750 if I were to make it perfect and sell it?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 10:36 AM   #13
erickonphoenix
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Whether I mod the car out to make it fast or not, I'm going to end up driving it as a daily, so I plan stay on top of maintenance with the engine. Alongside all other aspects of the car. One of the reasons I love the car is because of its size, I know the 550 is close in size but I'm not entirely sure if I'm interested in one, If I were to downsize I would go with something lighter probably but Idk I haven't looked into them as much as might consider it. How much do you think I could get for the 750 if I were to make it perfect and sell it?
Any of those Bangle butt bimmers are low demand cars so you won't get high dollar for them. That's why they're such good deals at the moment. If you love it then it's worth the money.

If you're uncertain you could take your time restoring it then sit on it and see if the market demand turns around on it. Based on my experience, I think it's a low percentage move but nobody knows the future 100 percent.
      07-24-2024, 10:47 AM   #14
Canibot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any of those Bangle butt bimmers are low demand cars so you won't get high dollar for them. That's why they're such good deals at the moment. If you love it then it's worth the money.

If you're uncertain you could take your time restoring it then sit on it and see if the market demand turns around on it. Based on my experience, I think it's a low percentage move but nobody knows the future 100 percent.
I do love the car but everyone has told me it's not worth even touching. I'm wondering if I should just sell the e66 and my 323 and my jeep and put the money into something a little nicer. I wonder if it would be worth it to purchase an older M3 or something of that area.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 10:49 AM   #15
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp 6spd

I haven't heard the phrase "supe up" since the 80's. Thanks for bringing back some memories of when I used to supe up my cars.
      07-24-2024, 10:56 AM   #16
erickonphoenix
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I do love the car but everyone has told me it's not worth even touching. I'm wondering if I should just sell the e66 and my 323 and my jeep and put the money into something a little nicer. I wonder if it would be worth it to purchase an older M3 or something of that area.
It's totally worth it if you love the car. Especially given the size and luxury component as an older M3 will be pretty tight relative to the 7 series.

I know a kid that has an early N63 550i and loves it even though he knows it is a grenade. It has a low cost entry point, he knows it's faults, is content to live with it's high maintenance because it's special to him.

Full discloser: I have owned three Mazda RX7s that are also grenades and loved all of them.
      07-24-2024, 11:05 AM   #17
Canibot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's totally worth it if you love the car. Especially given the size and luxury component as an older M3 will be pretty tight relative to the 7 series.

I know a kid that has an early N63 550i and loves it even though he knows it is a grenade. It has a low cost entry point, he knows it's faults, is content to live with it's high maintenance because it's special to him.

Full discloser: I have owned three Mazda RX7s that are also grenades and loved all of them.
I'm going to fix it up and then DD it until it either dies on me or until it's value goes up. Then im going to invest in a manual because automatics suck.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2024, 11:23 AM   #18
ash_schwin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW G80 6MT

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [7.83]
The title of this thread brought back lot of childhood memories...'supe up'

Good times.
Appreciate 1
DocL2048.50
      07-24-2024, 11:35 AM   #19
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You dont think it would be a good idea to at least open up airflow through the engine?

And money is definitely an object so.
I do think that an exhaust, intake and tune is a decent plan. Don't expect miracles. And a full detail and paint correction. Plus, and mainly, the mechanicals. Sorry, if I wasn't clear. Beyond that, diminishing returns.

Last edited by DrVenture; 07-24-2024 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 11:53 AM   #20
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.95]
I guess the real question is why you need more power? You have a car that had plenty of power in its time. 360hp is no joke. It is a luxury sedan not a drag racer. Just enjoy it for what it is. Intake, exhaust, etc adds very little hp for significant dollars. Not worth it in my opinion. One thing you could look at is newer tires.
NickyC18977.50
      07-24-2024, 12:28 PM   #21
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ok so here is another question for you, since you seem to be decently knowledgeable, I have a 98' 323i Convertible. Would it be worth modding that? The car overheats, might leak oil, and needs a new ignition because someone tried stealing it and broke the switch.
E36 323i is a better candidate for modding. Many mods available that fit. But the convertible adds weight so you have to overcome that and this 2.5L is the lowest power OBD2 E36 6 cylinder, so the only thing that will make the car fast is an engine swap to a bigger engine like one from an M3 or a domestic V8 or a turbo on the 2.5L. I don’t know if yours needs a headgasket or water pump or radiator fan. The oil leaks are often around the oil filter housing but I have not seen your car and don’t know if the problem is more serious.

I’d consider selling both the 323i and 750i to buy a hardtop car you can mod. Maybe an E46 since they are newer. E36 interiors start falling apart at 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 02:06 PM   #22
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
I was thinking about doing a turbo on the car after I finished college but as of now that's not financially in my reach. What do you think I could get hp wise if I were to make said modifications without the turbo?
If you did headers, intake,.exhaust, and a tune you could probably pick up like 10-20hp.
Appreciate 0