BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

03-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Three Hodinkee writers show what matters

Here's a new triple review of three watches by three of the writers of Hodinkee. (http://www.hodinkee.com/features/thr...al-dress-watch)

It's not important whether one will ever buy one of these watches, or even a similar watch. There are many really good things about these reviews.
  • They speak of important practical aspects that affect living with and using any watch.
  • The pics illustrate how well a dress watch dresses down.
  • The present comparative alternatives and the tradeoffs one makes to choose one or the other of those alternatives.
  • They show that a watch doesn't need to be large to be the "right size."
  • They highlight the fact that purely empirical evaluations have little to no bearing a watch's enjoyability.
  • They address the concept of distinctive competence.
Of the three, my preference is the VC, and yet, I probably wouldn't buy it because I don't care for the minute marker ring around the outer edge of the dial.

I was very glad to learn of the very specialized tools and skills needed to service the FPJ and ALS, and those aspects all but ensure I won't choose either anytime soon. That was probably the one thing that mattered more to me than anything else the writers said.

The Saxonia was the second watch down on my purchase plan. It's now going to be much longer before I buy one. That would have happened anyway as I always bother to find out if a local repairman can handle basic maintenance on manufacture watches I plan to buy, but the sooner one finds out stuff like that, the better.

It's especially good to know concerning simple, uncomplicated watches which I at least generally expect any skilled repairman can handle. As Mr. Clymer presumed, I tend to send my watches to the maker for a fix, but it's still a big plus to know that I have options on how I want to handle servicing, especially if/when the watchmaker ceases to exist for some reason. I think too that that sort of thing is pretty relevant if one is of mind to bequeath a watch to someone else.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
thaar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x-drive MHD

Have you ever thought about creating your own watch blog? You've provided some fantastic guidance and information to our members here - better than you can find on some watch forums! Additionally, your writing is quite good. I know I would certainly read it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaar View Post
Have you ever thought about creating your own watch blog? You've provided some fantastic guidance and information to our members here - better than you can find on some watch forums! Additionally, your writing is quite good. I know I would certainly read it.
TY for the kind words.

I haven't ever considered it. I wouldn't even know what I need to create a blog. Perhaps when I have some time, I'll Google up some info on what it takes to publish a blog.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Beautiful watches. I love those exhibition casebacks.

I know I've mentioned before that you should do a blog. Would be cool to have your own real estate and format and you could potentially generate money. If you need help, let us know. We could help get you setup.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Beautiful watches. I love those exhibition casebacks.

I know I've mentioned before that you should do a blog. Would be cool to have your own real estate and format and you could potentially generate money. If you need help, let us know. We could help get you setup.
TY...if/when the time comes I may reach out to you.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
I hardly if ever post on E90, any forum, anymore but I do have say I'm the third to agree. You post's here and on WUS are always comprehensive and objective. Very much on point and factual. Your writing is well thought out as well. I think you could do well with a blog.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
8_is_enough
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 GT3, 18 Macan GTS, 22 X540i

Quote:
I agree, Tony's posts are the main reason why I come here. In the few months since I discovered this sub-forum, I've learned a ton and have a better sense of where my hard earned money will go. Before this, I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of makes, terminology, styles and more. Thank you Tony for your contributions!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_is_enough View Post
I agree, Tony's posts are the main reason why I come here. In the few months since I discovered this sub-forum, I've learned a ton and have a better sense of where my hard earned money will go. Before this, I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of makes, terminology, styles and more. Thank you Tony for your contributions!
YW.

Timezone is also a a good place to search if you are looking for good info with a minimum of hype and "snobbishly biased" blah, blah, blah...that sort of thing is still there, but the site even as a whole is far less commercially/marketing hype driven.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I hardly if ever post on E90, any forum, anymore but I do have say I'm the third to agree. You post's here and on WUS are always comprehensive and objective. Very much on point and factual. Your writing is well thought out as well. I think you could do well with a blog.
TY.

You've seen my thoughts on WUS too, eh? I don't do the quotes over here like I do there. LOL.

My youngest son gets back from break this weekend and I hope to catch up with him on Monday. I'm going to ask him about this blogging thing.

TY for the encouragement as well as the compliments.

All the best.

Appreciate 0