BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #111
bobowar135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' Sedona Red 135i

I hate it when the lights go green and the driver behind (who is already sitting on my bumper) moves forward before I do.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #112
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I was thinking the other day that my pet peeve is "People". Unfortunately, a good number are assholes, and my life is worse off for it. Let me explain.

I'm one of those people who will wait patiently in the correct lane to turn at the upcoming intersection. I'm also one of those people those get thoroughly pissed off with the monumental assholes who sail down the wrong lane and just expect to push in. But they do it. In droves. And it really fucks me off. But the end result?

They get where they're going faster than I do, they don't give a fuck, and they're happy.

I get there slower than they do. I'm pissed off and angry.

Thing is, these same assholes wouldn't do it in a bank or supermarket where you could reach out and smack them upside the jaw. No - they don't do it with the protection of their car knowing you can't do shit. And yet they probably consider themselves good people too.

Rant over
You're old, you can afford the insurance increase. . .
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      09-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #113
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You're old, you can afford the insurance increase. . .
I just can't do it. Can't bring myself to drive like that. My friend does it and tries to tell me to do it all the time - claims there's "always a gap" for her, except when I'm in the car with her there's magically never a gap and she has to cut someone off. Every. Time.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      09-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #114
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I was thinking the other day that my pet peeve is "People". Unfortunately, a good number are assholes, and my life is worse off for it. Let me explain.

I'm one of those people who will wait patiently in the correct lane to turn at the upcoming intersection. I'm also one of those people those get thoroughly pissed off with the monumental assholes who sail down the wrong lane and just expect to push in. But they do it. In droves. And it really fucks me off. But the end result?

They get where they're going faster than I do, they don't give a fuck, and they're happy.

I get there slower than they do. I'm pissed off and angry.

Thing is, these same assholes wouldn't do it in a bank or supermarket where you could reach out and smack them upside the jaw. No - they don't do it with the protection of their car knowing you can't do shit. And yet they probably consider themselves good people too.

Rant over
Duuuuude! I deal with the same shit! I try to adhere to the rules (wasn't always the case) but I try to be responsible and considerate of other people; which in turn pisses me off because no one else gives the same consideration.

I come in to work yesterday morning to find that someone had broken the arm rest on my office chair over the weekend. #1 No one should have any need to be at my desk. #2 If they are or need to be, put shit back where it came from when finished. So, someone went through my pen cup, took all my good pens, left the cheap pens they didn't want laying on my desk and broke my chair. My office chair came from home and was my fathers office chair before he died, so it had sentimental value to it. Work is replacing the chair but that isn't the point; it's principal! No note, no one came by to say it was an accident or apologize. What they did do is position back in place to where it fell apart when I sat down in it.

To go a step further, the manager approved the purchase of another office chair and left it at that. When I was in management, we found out who destroyed whatever the item was/is and held them accountable for destruction of company property or made them replace whatever they ruined if it belonged to another employee. Nothing said to anyone, nothing done whatsoever; in fact, he acted like it was a pain in his ass to hit the "approve" button in our system when I sent the PO to him. Regardless, I have new chair for my ass to sit in, problematic situation averted, but still, no accountability so the mentality will continue. This is the problem. Let them get away with it and they continue to do it, if you attempt to do something about it then YOU are the asshole.

It amazes me at how so many people, have such little regard for anyone but themselves.
Appreciate 4
dinonz3214.00
Rmtt8206.00
vreihen1614889.50
MKSixer34171.50
      09-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #115
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
It amazes me at how so many people, have such little regard for anyone but themselves.
And that's the crux of it - nobody gives a shit about anybody but themselves these days. My new neighbors downstairs slam their doors and play their music upload (with the subwoofer adjusted WAY too high) enough to shake my apartment - they don't care. People constantly have their dogs off leash despite apartment rules and city laws stating it's illegal. They don't pick up their dog shit. They drive way to fast in the complex. They play their music way too loud at the pool - don't give a shit if other people dislike their taste (which is pretty much guaranteed as the loudest is usually the shittiest music). Everything is just 100% all about what suits them and to hell with others.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      09-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #116
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
And that's the crux of it - nobody gives a shit about anybody but themselves these days. My new neighbors downstairs slam their doors and play their music upload (with the subwoofer adjusted WAY too high) enough to shake my apartment - they don't care. People constantly have their dogs off leash despite apartment rules and city laws stating it's illegal. They don't pick up their dog shit. They drive way to fast in the complex. They play their music way too loud at the pool - don't give a shit if other people dislike their taste (which is pretty much guaranteed as the loudest is usually the shittiest music). Everything is just 100% all about what suits them and to hell with others.
Sir, we have officially become our fathers.

Also I can't help but feel like George Costanza's father with "airing of the grievences" on a daily basis.

I realize, that to everyone around me, that i look like the asshole as other people's BS frustrates me and that I need to let certain things go. I'm working on it.

A recent guilty pleasure of mine is that when people, who drive like assholes, want to pass me in the left lane, only to try an pass me, then jump over two lanes to the right, so they can make a right hand turn. Suddenly, somehow my car becomes locked in the same speed as theirs forcing, them to miss their turn.
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17875.50
MKSixer34171.50
      09-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #117
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
back in my day the neighbors did not slam the doors
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
      09-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #118
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just can't do it. Can't bring myself to drive like that. My friend does it and tries to tell me to do it all the time - claims there's "always a gap" for her, except when I'm in the car with her there's magically never a gap and she has to cut someone off. Every. Time.
You misunderstood. It was a line from some chick-flick, maybe Fried Green Tomatoes? Anyways, the older lady, who got cut off in the parking lot, decided she was parking there anyways and just hit the asshole who cut her off.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #119
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You misunderstood. It was a line from some chick-flick, maybe Fried Green Tomatoes? Anyways, the older lady, who got cut off in the parking lot, decided she was parking there anyways and just hit the asshole who cut her off.
Pushed her out of the way actually. She has more insurance Classic....

Two younger girls japped her out of a parking spot, and walked away laughing. She showed them.
      09-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #120
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Pushed her out of the way actually. She has more insurance Classic....

Two younger girls japped her out of a parking spot, and walked away laughing. She showed them.
See, you DO understand the Wede!!!
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15575.00
MKSixer34171.50
      09-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #121
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
When I see a woman pumping gas and her male companion, most likely a husband, boyfriend or side piece, is sitting on his ass on the passenger seat jerking off. I mean get off your ass! Move around! Motion creates emotion.

IMHO why let your lady pump gas when I feel a man should be doing it? IDK, maybe I’m wrong.
Appreciate 5
cmyx6go15575.00
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
Maynard3804.50
MKSixer34171.50
      09-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #122
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
When I see a woman pumping gas and her male companion, most likely a husband, boyfriend or side piece, is sitting on his ass on the passenger seat jerking off. I mean get off your ass! Move around! Motion creates emotion.

IMHO why let your lady pump gas when I feel a man should be doing it? IDK, maybe I’m wrong.
They aren't pumping gas because they're busy jerking off! Women are so impatient. They expect us to stop jerking off in the front seat so they can get gas??? C'mon! Lemme finish up first and I'll gladly pump the gas for them. It's just passive aggressive behavior, acting like they're a damsel in distress by pumping their own gas, putting on a show for other men to feel sorry for them. Impatient is what they are! Let me finish my jerk first, pumping gas can wait!

BTW, avoid pumping gas after me if possible.
Appreciate 2
F30lolz6798.50
MKSixer34171.50
      09-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #123
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post

ooh here's a confession that's related to this
when i first came to America i was surprised to see you fill your own gas, we don't do that in turkey
after borrowing my buddy's car and picking my girl up i wanted to fill it back before returning and i was waiting around for someone to come by until she opens the door and asks me what i'm waiting for

here i am, 18 years old, never pumped gas in a car. she had to do it for me; i learn quick by watching but that was definitely embarrassing
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50
      09-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #124
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Happened to me too when I hurt my back so I couldn't drive and getting out of the car was a struggle. It's weird how many dirty looks you get in that particular situation when you're sitting in the front seat and your wife is pumping the gas.

It wasn't as bad as the looks I got when she had an accident on a business trip and I picked her up and walked her through the airport sporting a black eye and her arm in a sling...but I digress
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 05:53 AM   #125
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Duuuuude! I deal with the same shit! I try to adhere to the rules (wasn't always the case) but I try to be responsible and considerate of other people; which in turn pisses me off because no one else gives the same consideration.

I come in to work yesterday morning to find that someone had broken the arm rest on my office chair over the weekend. #1 No one should have any need to be at my desk. #2 If they are or need to be, put shit back where it came from when finished. So, someone went through my pen cup, took all my good pens, left the cheap pens they didn't want laying on my desk and broke my chair. My office chair came from home and was my fathers office chair before he died, so it had sentimental value to it. Work is replacing the chair but that isn't the point; it's principal! No note, no one came by to say it was an accident or apologize. What they did do is position back in place to where it fell apart when I sat down in it.

To go a step further, the manager approved the purchase of another office chair and left it at that. When I was in management, we found out who destroyed whatever the item was/is and held them accountable for destruction of company property or made them replace whatever they ruined if it belonged to another employee. Nothing said to anyone, nothing done whatsoever; in fact, he acted like it was a pain in his ass to hit the "approve" button in our system when I sent the PO to him. Regardless, I have new chair for my ass to sit in, problematic situation averted, but still, no accountability so the mentality will continue. This is the problem. Let them get away with it and they continue to do it, if you attempt to do something about it then YOU are the asshole.

This right here. There is so much stuff that goes on where I work, and they do not hold anyone accountable. And half the crap they do my guys are responsible for having to fix.

I even started keeping a spreadsheet of stupid shit that people have done to destroy equipment that I present at monthly management meetings. It lists the equipment, ID tag, reason of premature failure, and what it cost.

YTD we are at $67K for stuff that could have been completely avoided. President then says we have to start holding people accountable, the facility manager agrees, then does nothing about it. So ultimately it's the Company President's fault for not following up with the manager.

Meanwhile I want to grab any of the guys doing this shit and squeeze them by the neck until they almost go unconscious...and whisper to them as they are slowly passing out....This is why your bonus you complained about sucked so much last year!!!!
MKSixer34171.50
      09-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #126
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
This right here. There is so much stuff that goes on where I work, and they do not hold anyone accountable. And half the crap they do my guys are responsible for having to fix.
The facilities/plant department where I work refuses to hold outside contractors responsible for their screw-ups. Our own maintenance staff winds up cleaning up behind them, along with several other departments like us in IT who take collateral damage from their stupidity. There's only so many times that we can replace entire network IDF closets due to flooding from above caused by plumbing breaks or roofing contractors failing to cover open work areas overnight (both happened more than once already). Then, there is the new "smart" building that the HVAC contractors mis-installed every single thermostat into the wrong room/zone almost 10 years ago now. They still to this day have not sorted out everything, and are apparently not smart enough to figure out that the thermostat in one room is controlling the air in a room 4 doors away.....
      09-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #127
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post

I even started keeping a spreadsheet of stupid shit that people have done to destroy equipment that I present at monthly management meetings. It lists the equipment, ID tag, reason of premature failure, and what it cost.

YTD we are at $67K for stuff that could have been completely avoided. President then says we have to start holding people accountable, the facility manager agrees, then does nothing about it. So ultimately it's the Company President's fault for not following up with the manager.

Meanwhile I want to grab any of the guys doing this shit and squeeze them by the neck until they almost go unconscious...and whisper to them as they are slowly passing out....This is why your bonus you complained about sucked so much last year!!!!
I did something similar at a company that I worked a few years ago. I kept up with every penny that I saved the company in comparison to what they asked me spend, hoping this would help better my position all while demonstrating what my capabilities are. After a year of this, I presented it to the plant manager who laughed, then got upset with me over it. He explained that he wasn't paying me to undermine him. He then yelled at me and told me to go do my job.

Things are so backward at the company that I work for, that I don't even try anymore here. I do exactly what they ask for and nothing else as any additional effort only gets looked over or frowned upon. It's a shame when you have good employees that legitimately care but get no recognition.

Our current plant manager has Napoleon Syndrome so badly that it's pathetic. Has poor personal hygiene, missing 90% of his teeth, his breath would gag a maggot and far too busy explaining why he is right & how our problems or issues are insignificant, compared to other companies that he has worked for, to even act as if he is concerned with what you have brought to him.

My work ethics and attention to detail were instilled to me by my father at an early age. It truly saddens me that we have entered an age where we reward lackluster job performance and celebrate complacency. I feel like everything I have worked my ass for was for nothing, while those who do little to nothing, or even worse cost the company money, are considered valued employees. Frustrating to say the least.
Appreciate 6
cmyx6go15575.00
vreihen1614889.50
MKSixer34171.50
Rmtt8206.00
      09-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #128
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
It's a shame when you have good employees that legitimately care but get no recognition.

.... I feel like everything I have worked my ass for was for nothing, while those who do little to nothing, or even worse cost the company money, are considered valued employees. Frustrating to say the least.
I've encountered this many times even though my career is in it's early stages being 29 years old. My theory is that others are threatened by someone who is a leader, or someone who is better at something than they (the people in leadership roles) are. Instead of surrounding themselves with good people who get things done, they promote less threatening individuals.

I run a project team, and I want the best individuals I can get on my team so we are successful. That is how we can accomplish tasks efficiently.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13152.00
vreihen1614889.50
Rmtt8206.00
      09-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #129
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I've encountered this many times even though my career is in it's early stages being 29 years old. My theory is that others are threatened by someone who is a leader, or someone who is better at something than they (the people in leadership roles) are. Instead of surrounding themselves with good people who get things done, they promote less threatening individuals.

I run a project team, and I want the best individuals I can get on my team so we are successful. That is how we can accomplish tasks efficiently.
My belief is that this problem arises from those who hire ineffective managers. When I staffed my retail locations, I looked for candidates that could easily replace me. In the event that I am away from the office for any duration, my employees could easily handle whatever situations may arise. This also made me look like a rock star, not only to our customers - because I had a rock solid team of customer service professionals, but to my supervisors as well. People that hire individuals based on their insecurities have no business being in those positions. The way I see things is that the more of my employees that get promoted, the better I look.

The environment that I'm currently in spends more time chasing our tail while clocking 100 mph up hill, but sliding backwards. This is all attributed to someone (multiple people actually) who are afraid to delegate responsibility as they are afraid of losing their job. Not delegating makes them feel as if they in control and can justify their position.

As I'm typing this, I have our receptionist tracking down orders for me. Not that I can't do it myself, but I have a way of being able to spin it to where she feels needed and that she is helping me; not that I am lazy or too busy posting here to do my job. At the end of the day, the work is getting done and I'm efficient at completing my tasks by getting the work done through others. Frees up my time to better strategically plan my next moves, versus haphazardly rushing decisions and making the wrong moves. Simple tasks, as long as they are handled, should be delegated. When a person spends so much of their day with every small detail, that they can not effectively plan for whats coming puts them in a reactive state rather than a proactive state.

Again, managers should be able to do this; if not, it isn't their fault. It's the fault of the person that hired them for that position.

Last edited by King Rudi; 09-18-2019 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614889.50
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50
      09-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #130
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I did something similar at a company that I worked a few years ago. I kept up with every penny that I saved the company in comparison to what they asked me spend, hoping this would help better my position all while demonstrating what my capabilities are. After a year of this, I presented it to the plant manager who laughed, then got upset with me over it. He explained that he wasn't paying me to undermine him. He then yelled at me and told me to go do my job.

Things are so backward at the company that I work for, that I don't even try anymore here. I do exactly what they ask for and nothing else as any additional effort only gets looked over or frowned upon. It's a shame when you have good employees that legitimately care but get no recognition.

Our current plant manager has Napoleon Syndrome so badly that it's pathetic. Has poor personal hygiene, missing 90% of his teeth, his breath would gag a maggot and far too busy explaining why he is right & how our problems or issues are insignificant, compared to other companies that he has worked for, to even act as if he is concerned with what you have brought to him.

My work ethics and attention to detail were instilled to me by my father at an early age. It truly saddens me that we have entered an age where we reward lackluster job performance and celebrate complacency. I feel like everything I have worked my ass for was for nothing, while those who do little to nothing, or even worse cost the company money, are considered valued employees. Frustrating to say the least.
This.

I consult, as well, and my monthly retainer is a 5 figure sum of money with a minimum one year contract so it isn't cheap. The CEO of one organization was getting flack from the board on my expense and asked me to do a presentation to the board less than 20 days ago about this. I presented my hard and soft savings in the last year as well as the 5, 10 and 20 year projections on both savings and recovered revenue.

The board member that most strenuously objected to my contract apologized to the CEO and thanked me for the work. It's really amazing how shortsighted people can be, even board members who should be looking out YEARS in the future.

I'm sad for you that you're stuck with a Cover-My-Ass manager who has nothing but selfish motives for his behavior as a manager. It's really demotivating in the extreme. Kudos for keeping up your personal morale and trying to make the things you can control, better.

Cheers-mk
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      09-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #131
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

what a great boss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post

Honestly that happens even before you get on with the professional life. We run the entrepreneurship club on campus, we're fairly big in terms of our mailing list (~2500 people), and our budgets are pretty hefty too. We're definitely doing more stuff than a typical "college club".

Last year we replaced our exec board, to which I was instated in it along with some other guys, and we needed to find someone to run the marketing team. Now these people are really, really the epitome of the typical "gen z milennial" aka you need to sugar coat everything and whatnot. There was a guy to run it, but the board almost unilaterally said no because he was too tough.

Ended up "having" to give that position to him, took a few weeks until the current board to start discussing how much of a bad leader this guy was basically because he wasn't blowing the team members to get work out of them - he ended up quitting after the exec board decided to "split his team" and basically assigned a position to him that allowed him to do nothing, he was a great guy. Definitely a loss for us but I guess making sure people who don't do shit stay in their positions are more valuable than a guy who will get shit done...
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
      09-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #132
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
people who don't do shit stay in their positions are more valuable than a guy who will get shit done...
I've lost several jobs over the years from this right here - a supervisor who is threatened, by me, being able to get shit done versus their inexperience and their ability to kiss the owners ass.

I've never been that guy. I'm not rude, but I don't sugar coat shit. If a CEO comes to me with a problem, rather than saying yes sir and blowing smoke up his ass, I break down the entire scenario, highlight potential issues and then provide solutions to said issues. Not to sound like an ass, but I'd love to have 10 of me working for me.

Last edited by King Rudi; 09-20-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614889.50
Rmtt8206.00
NEFARIOUS431.00