BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Moving to Tallahassee?

Long story short, I've worked at the same company for seven years to achieve the title and pay I was after. Now that I'm there, the organization, structure, and strategy has changed to a toxic place to be. I'm in a good spot with company growth likely and the only personal growth is to become my boss, the managing director. So what do I want to do? Take a new job in a different field and start the process over.

The new job would put me and my wife in Tallahassee. Tons of potential with a fantastic company in a place I don't feel I've met terminal velocity with. It's on the table that I'll probably stick at this location for about two years and then move on to pretty much wherever I feel within the company. So we're looking for places to rent and finding massive variances in cost.

My question to you folks is where are some good spots to rent? We were thinking of getting a high rise condo, but it's crazy to see a great looking home at half the cost just a block away. What neighborhoods should we avoid? Basically we're just after something that will keep us away from Friday keggers with FSU and feeling safe, but not in the old folks home. Young couple that's looking for a good experience in a new place. Who knows, we may find that we like the area and stay with a mortgage. For the time being, we just hope to find a good neighborhood to not put a bad taste in our mouth with the move to a different state.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Long story short, I've worked at the same company for seven years to achieve the title and pay I was after. Now that I'm there, the organization, structure, and strategy has changed to a toxic place to be. I'm in a good spot with company growth likely and the only personal growth is to become my boss, the managing director. So what do I want to do? Take a new job in a different field and start the process over.

The new job would put me and my wife in Tallahassee. Tons of potential with a fantastic company in a place I don't feel I've met terminal velocity with. It's on the table that I'll probably stick at this location for about two years and then move on to pretty much wherever I feel within the company. So we're looking for places to rent and finding massive variances in cost.

My question to you folks is where are some good spots to rent? We were thinking of getting a high rise condo, but it's crazy to see a great looking home at half the cost just a block away. What neighborhoods should we avoid? Basically we're just after something that will keep us away from Friday keggers with FSU and feeling safe, but not in the old folks home. Young couple that's looking for a good experience in a new place. Who knows, we may find that we like the area and stay with a mortgage. For the time being, we just hope to find a good neighborhood to not put a bad taste in our mouth with the move to a different state.

Thoughts?
Regardless of where you end up it'll be warmer than here.....
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:

Thoughts?
I don’t know the area but I do know that having a FL residence can save a lot of taxes. I’d look to buy something just to help establish and maintain residency, even after you leave. When you do leave the state, work your schedules to be there the required time (generally half, or about 183 nights), maintain doctors and vehicles there, etc.

Read up on this topic a bit before you decide anything.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I don’t know the area but I do know that having a FL residence can save a lot of taxes. I’d look to buy something just to help establish and maintain residency, even after you leave. When you do leave the state, work your schedules to be there the required time (generally half, or about 183 nights), maintain doctors and vehicles there, etc.

Read up on this topic a bit before you decide anything.
I've dug minimally into taxes aside from now losing the income tax burden. I'm fairly certain that we will be purchasing regardless of the tenure of our stay just to have a vacation spot / Air BnB supplemental income. This is definitely something that I'd like to learn more on.

For the immediate need, however, I think we'll rent for a year or less to learn the area and ultimately determine on what we will buy. No ties here locally as the house is sold and no kids. So we're free to explore, but we're also old souls and ready to plant a little. Hoping to find a neighborhood to fit our needs but not spend a fortune since we're still saving pennies for another purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I've spent a few January's in Buffalo for work and it's no joke for an Atlanta kid!

Granted it was nothing like this recent blast you guys have been seeing...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I've spent a few January's in Buffalo for work and it's no joke for an Atlanta kid!

Granted it was nothing like this recent blast you guys have been seeing...
Yes my friend......I hate the damn cold. I spent years working on the Police Underwater Recovery Team.....we'd go to Quebec in February for an Ice Diving exercise with the Canadian Navy. US Navy Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit and Royal Navy Clearance Divers were with us....... -40C/F.....I have to tell you that sucked balls.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes my friend......I hate the damn cold. I spent years working on the Police Underwater Recovery Team.....we'd go to Quebec in February for an Ice Diving exercise with the Canadian Navy. US Navy Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit and Royal Navy Clearance Divers were with us....... -40C/F.....I have to tell you that sucked balls.
I hate to tell you, but that sounds like it would REMOVE balls.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #8
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I hate to tell you, but that sounds like it would REMOVE balls.
The guy in the water was the warmest guy on the dive site.....it was great training and the after hours socializing and drinking was the most educational thing. My team in general would argue about who got to do the job, the dirtier the better. It was fucked up, but if we had to do a recovery in a sewage treatment plant guys would actually be arguing to do the job as it was a bit of a pissing contest but i miss it sometime.....not the -40 diving though.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3443.50
      02-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Tallahassee is a dump, but Atlanta is probably in the top 10 worst major cities in the US.

Others would be Cleveland, Buffalo, Oakland, Detroit, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Sacramento or any city in California unless you’re rich.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #10
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

By the way, the standard answer is never move for wok, unless you’re like CEO level and/or making over I’d say $250K.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #11
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
I don’t know the area but I do know that having a FL residence can save a lot of taxes.
Quote:
I've dug minimally into taxes aside from now losing the income tax burden. I'm fairly certain that we will be purchasing regardless of the tenure of our stay just to have a vacation spot / Air BnB supplemental income.
It's called the homestead exemption. Make SURE you apply for it when you do end up buying a home, it's not something that's done automatically by the state and it will save you quite a bit on real estate taxes.

Good luck with your move.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #12
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
It's called the homestead exemption. Make SURE you apply for it when you do end up buying a home, it's not something that's done automatically by the state and it will save you quite a bit on real estate taxes.

That is trivial compared to the state income tax advantage, if managed well.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #13
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
By the way, the standard answer is never move for wok, unless you’re like CEO level and/or making over I’d say $250K.
Disagree. If you are willing to relocate there are a lot more opportunities both career-wise and to see, experience and learn from different areas/cultures. Especially if you are ambitious.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #14
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Live in Tally, will type more in the morning, was a long day & I'm done for....
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #15
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Disagree. If you are willing to relocate there are a lot more opportunities both career-wise and to see, experience and learn from different areas/cultures. Especially if you are ambitious.
Corporate is all essentially all the same, making it pointless to move to another city that merely changes scenery and the names of the same players. This is of course assuming you’re already in a major city and not working at a sandwich shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #16
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
I'd take your location over Florida any day. Even the cold ones.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #17
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
So you're saying don't move for the stir fry unless you can afford really good stir fry?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 4
      02-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #18
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
I would say never move for work unless it is for a different company or you are trying to get into a different market unless you're making good money.

I work with someone genuinely dumb enough that moved for an analyst position for the same company in another state with only a pay increase that would cover the increase in state taxes. The real kicker... the company will probably be sold within a year and she already bought a house in the new area way above her level.... i don't get some people.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #19
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post

Quote:
That is trivial compared to the state income tax advantage, if managed well.
We would do homestead exemption. Did the same with a house I sold here in the Atlanta area.

Lack of income tax is a big kicker for me. Comparing my existing job with the new one with its perks, taxes, etc., I'll be bringing home about 20% more than I currently do. Then I tack on the salary increase. Then I look at the lower cost of living compared to living in the city here in Atlanta. Then I plop the cherry that is a better work/life balance on top. I would love to hear more of how to play the cards right and make the most of the situation financially, though!

That aside, I am also genuinely interested in a new company. This is ultimately what drove my decision...to find somewhere else to work. I got a three for one deal in that I get the new company, new field, and new place to live. It is a global company that would allow me to move just about anywhere I would want; we chose Tallahassee to be still close to family, and the manager for this region seems to be more in tune with my personal ambitions. It's a situation that works for me and puts me in a direction I'd much rather be in (hopefully). I'm doing well where I currently am, but I feel it's a good time to roll the dice.

Justification for the move removed, if anyone has any advice specific to the area and any ideals that should be considered when moving to a state with different tax laws, I'm all ears! We certainly want to make the most of the situation.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #20
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I would say never move for work unless it is for a different company or you are trying to get into a different market unless you're making good money.

I work with someone genuinely dumb enough that moved for an analyst position for the same company in another state with only a pay increase that would cover the increase in state taxes. The real kicker... the company will probably be sold within a year and she already bought a house in the new area way above her level.... i don't get some people.
Ouch! No this certainly isn't a move like that. New company to get into a new market with new challenges. I'm a stickler to live below my means, and the larger paycheck with lower costs makes it that much easier

Best of luck to your friend, though!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #21
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Welllll then, where to start...

Despite being a multi-college town and the state capitol there's not much in the way of entertainment here compared to ATL, so be prepared. You aren't going to get top tier stuff here. Just sayin'...

Where to live is best planned by where your office is located. All four corners of town offer some great areas to live, and tho we don't have the hills we can match tree for tree so it won't be ugly unless you're really not trying. There are only a couple of major arteries into town, and although smaller in scale they can ruin a morning commute just like ATL.

If you're considering condo you're mostly looking downtown. We don't have what you'd consider a high rise anything here. Aside from downtown, anything within a few miles of campus is going to have students.

So, the question becomes do you want condo or house? What do you consider a fair commute time? And last, any thought about being a touch suburban? I'm just across the Leon county line to the south in the national forest, 6 acres and a 14 mile, 20-30 minute commute
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #22
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Welllll then, where to start...

Despite being a multi-college town and the state capitol there's not much in the way of entertainment here compared to ATL, so be prepared. You aren't going to get top tier stuff here. Just sayin'...

Where to live is best planned by where your office is located. All four corners of town offer some great areas to live, and tho we don't have the hills we can match tree for tree so it won't be ugly unless you're really not trying. There are only a couple of major arteries into town, and although smaller in scale they can ruin a morning commute just like ATL.

If you're considering condo you're mostly looking downtown. We don't have what you'd consider a high rise anything here. Aside from downtown, anything within a few miles of campus is going to have students.

So, the question becomes do you want condo or house? What do you consider a fair commute time? And last, any thought about being a touch suburban? I'm just across the Leon county line to the south in the national forest, 6 acres and a 14 mile, 20-30 minute commute
Not worried about night life. We live in the thick of it here and a good night can be considered a bottle of wine on our balcony by ourselves. The consideration of a condo is we figure the best way to learn a city is to be immersed. With that said, I'm tempted by the stilts on Shell Point for the money at only 30 miles out. I have perpetually had a 45+ minute commute (currently live in the city and work in the burbs), so if I stick under an hour to get to the center of the city, I'll be fine.

Ultimately we are very flexible. We just want to be safe and not have to be stuck to college parties. We had intentions of buying acreage in North Georgia to build or get a lake house. But for a first time move to a new city, we'll rent and get a lay of the land. Just want to ensure we won't be getting into a crappy part of town on a 12 month lease and leave a bitter taste in our mouth.
Appreciate 0