BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-21-2020, 10:07 PM   #23
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

The problem is when people ride a 2 ton missle and although they are otherwise passive, behind the wheel they become agressive.

Been both giver and reciever! More giver when I was young, dumb and full of ****... More tolerant as I'm older, but if you do something stupid that endangers me or my occupants, you are going to have an issue. Gladly though, this doesn't happen much anymore. I'd rather just drive around, away or opposite you than deal with your bullshyt.

Yes, Europe driving was much easier, no right side passing, less agressiveness. Not less speed, just less agressive! Definite respect for speed or just letting someone do what they want. In 2 weeks driving over there I really only had one driver who wouldn't get out of the way on the Autobahn, lol, must have been a tourist from Connecticut

That all said...

Always remember, those going faster than you are lunatics! And those going slower are idiots! Hahahaha... As told to me by a Nun, no joke!
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2020, 10:38 PM   #24
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
I drive aggressively and fast so I've had many brake checks or people being total bitches here, barely use my horn because I've realized that really, really triggers people for some reason. Back home it's just known that if you want someone to move, you flash your high beams twice and then they move. Here though people take that personally for some reason and brake check instead of moving over. With the MKS though people generally move over, so I definitely know the way I drive I need something that looks big and imposing in the rear view mirror.

I get angry and yell at them in my car, coming up with some really creative swears along the way. My friends know if I'm swearing in Turkish it's bad, but I never put myself or others in risk because dealing with police is just a headache in this little shit hole.

My best story though is when someone pulled a gun on me on the highway back in Turkey after they brake checked me on the left lane. I then move over to the middle lane, to pass him, he steps on it so I get behind him because now he's going the speed I wanted to go at. Then he brake checks me, so I move over to the rightmost lane, zip through some cars and get in front of him finally. He later catches up to me on the middle lane and flashes his gun... Took the nearest exit and continued with my day, not really looking to get shot over who passed who...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #25
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Not really road rage as I disengaged, but last week I was swiftly zipping through some medium-to-light traffic on 417, when some guy in a Silverado sees me approaching quickly in the lane beside him. He decides to pull out in front of me and immediately slam on the brakes. I was doing about 90 and would have rear ended him if I didn't swerve into the far right lane to avoid him. The amount of restraint it took to not replicate what he did was seemingly insurmountable.

This is not the first time someone has done this to me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'm never aggressive or intentionally cutting people off unsafely. I know this is subjective, but what the heck makes one feel the need to cut someone off who is speeding past them? Is it an ego thing, or what?
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2020, 11:03 PM   #26
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
I drive aggressively and fast so I've had many brake checks or people being total bitches here, barely use my horn because I've realized that really, really triggers people for some reason. Back home it's just known that if you want someone to move, you flash your high beams twice and then they move. Here though people take that personally for some reason and brake check instead of moving over. With the MKS though people generally move over, so I definitely know the way I drive I need something that looks big and imposing in the rear view mirror.

I get angry and yell at them in my car, coming up with some really creative swears along the way. My friends know if I'm swearing in Turkish it's bad, but I never put myself or others in risk because dealing with police is just a headache in this little shit hole.

My best story though is when someone pulled a gun on me on the highway back in Turkey after they brake checked me on the left lane. I then move over to the middle lane, to pass him, he steps on it so I get behind him because now he's going the speed I wanted to go at. Then he brake checks me, so I move over to the rightmost lane, zip through some cars and get in front of him finally. He later catches up to me on the middle lane and flashes his gun... Took the nearest exit and continued with my day, not really looking to get shot over who passed who...
I never used to be a fan of the High Beam Flasher' until I rode with a friend who did it a few times and saw how effective it was. I'm willing to bet its car dependent though. I don't think anyone is moving over for a silver Corolla flashing its HB's, but then again from my experience, the nicer the car you're in the worse people tend to treat you on the road.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 11:21 PM   #27
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
I've driven in almost every major American city and major euro city, north Jersey and south Florida seem to me the worst, dumb mother fuc**rs for sure

Likely many from NJ are now in Miami lol

But in Munich, Paris and Athens i feel safer, I was Pleasantly surprised, they share the road, the zipper maneuver is done well and the people (respect) the passing lane, yes a little aggressive but in a safer way imo

back in the states, more n more people feel it's their road
I have towed our rv through most of the country and there is no doubt south florida has the worst of all. We were gone for 5 months this last trip so I was really able to notice just how much rage driving here gives me. Like literally the first time driving after we got back I was like holly shit they are all complete fucking morons.

It's weird because some places have their own quirks, like for some reason I feel people in WA can't merge worth shit, they just can't figure that shit out. However other than merging the rest is fine. Not in south florida, these fuckers cant merge, cant turn, cant drive straight, cant do a fucking thing properly.

Even the truckers down here are assholes. They don't even bother moving over for people on the side of the road, right on peoples ass, racing like they are fucking fast and the furious. The east coast is worse than the west coast, but I'm not sure anyone compares to south florida and miami.... forget about it.

One thing that has helped me calm down a lot is the comma I installed in the corolla. Basically makes it "self driving" and on the highway I rarely have to intervene. I set that shit to 5 over the speed limit, get on the second to right lane and fuck it. For some reason it makes the drive so much less stressful. I'm not sure why. Even when I have to go to miami I purposely go out of my way to take the turnpike so I can let comma drive, because it can't handle the 7 layers of hell that is I95 in miami.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 01:51 AM   #28
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Not really road rage as I disengaged, but last week I was swiftly zipping through some medium-to-light traffic on 417, when some guy in a Silverado sees me approaching quickly in the lane beside him. He decides to pull out in front of me and immediately slam on the brakes. I was doing about 90 and would have rear ended him if I didn't swerve into the far right lane to avoid him. The amount of restraint it took to not replicate what he did was seemingly insurmountable.

This is not the first time someone has done this to me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'm never aggressive or intentionally cutting people off unsafely. I know this is subjective, but what the heck makes one feel the need to cut someone off who is speeding past them? Is it an ego thing, or what?
Probly because you shouldn't be doing 90 and zipping past people anyways.

When I see some fucktard zipping around like a dumb cunt doing 90 on the highway, it triggers me a bit as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if others have the same reaction. Plus if there's traffic there's a good chance you'll barely get much further ahead anyways...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #29
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
I had some (ahem) individual ride my bumper for a while on a four lane divided hwy. I was in the right lane, five mph over the limit with nobody in the left lane. This went on for a while till I had had enough and just let off the gas. He passed me, swerved in front, rode for a while then brake checked me hard which caused the van behind me to hit me. Turns out it was a MCSO jail transport van. I stopped, we talked, no damage to my truck, (my trailer hitch punched a nice hole in his bumper cover though) he called it in, I went on my way. A little bit down the road I waved at the guy as he was pulled over on the side of the road. Yup, busted.
      03-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #30
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post

When I see some fucktard zipping around like a dumb cunt doing 90 on the highway, it triggers me a bit as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if others have the same reaction. Plus if there's traffic there's a good chance you'll barely get much further ahead anyways...
I understand I'm in the wrong here, but cutting someone off and slamming on the brakes in an attempt to cause an accident is where I draw the line. I'd beg to differ, but I'm willing to bet some law enforcement officers would go as far to consider his actions attempted vehicular manslaughter. I going 15 above the posted speed limit would most likely warrant a few hundred dollar speeding ticket.

Moral of the story, don't try to be a hero. I'm just a stressed medical student enjoying the capabilities of my car. Also, if you're not the law, what right does someone have to not allow me to do something?

Sounds like an ego thing after all.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #31
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I understand I'm in the wrong here, but cutting someone off and slamming on the brakes in an attempt to cause an accident is where I draw the line. I'd beg to differ, but I'm willing to bet some law enforcement officers would go as far to consider his actions attempted vehicular manslaughter. I going 15 above the posted speed limit would most likely warrant a few hundred dollar speeding ticket.

Moral of the story, don't try to be a hero. I'm just a stressed medical student enjoying the capabilities of my car. Also, if you're not the law, what right does someone have to not allow me to do something?

Sounds like an ego thing after all.
Totally agree, but like I said some ppl would probably act on it and the way that guy did is wrong ofcourse and could've caused a wreck. Just avoid all confrontations these days and go along with your day, you never know who's behind the wheel.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #32
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

Those fucking idiots drive me crazy. Especially when theres a bunch of traffic and they keep going from lane to lane like a fucking crackhead and literally make absolutely no progress. 2 minutes later I pass them by chilling and staying in my lane.

Even saw one asshole going way to fast and splitting fucking lanes, in his car! If it wasn't for the fact they will probably take an innocent person with them I would so wish they would crash.
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      03-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
I never used to be a fan of the High Beam Flasher' until I rode with a friend who did it a few times and saw how effective it was. I'm willing to bet its car dependent though. I don't think anyone is moving over for a silver Corolla flashing its HB's, but then again from my experience, the nicer the car you're in the worse people tend to treat you on the road.
It only works about 1/2 the time for me. I just don't bother anymore and pass on the right, people are idiots.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #34
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

That doesn't justify taking the law into your own hands and trying to cause an accident.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #35
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:

That doesn't justify taking the law into your own hands and trying to cause an accident.
Never said that.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #36
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

As I said before....I try to avoid it. If it happens to me, I try to descalate the situation and just call it in. Now I'm not perfect and have reacted in the past....but realized it was stupid later.

Most people in a 3K lb vehicle are bad asses. Once outside the safety of that environment, most change their attitude very quickly.

But I've heard plenty of stories where things escalate and go wrong from my brother and others.....in those situations no one really wins.

Now in the slim chance that things are pushed beyond your control....then you handle your business as best you can. But also be prepared for the consequences of your actions.
      03-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #37
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I really try not too...especially live in Arizona. A lot of people have guns here and you just never know. When I was a teenager I cut off a car and brake checked him because he was driving too slow and he got out of his car at the next red light with a baseball bat. Luckily, his wife calmed him down but I never forget that lol.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #38
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

This is an entirely separate debate, but I truly believe we need a more rigorous driving exam. It's a privilege to have a license, and although I tend to speed on the highway, I am never putting others in danger. Even in my above example, I tried my best to keep an adequate distance from other cars, and always use my blinkers. As others have stated, people are so unpredictable that I've found it best to just mind my own business, keep my windows up, and be as un reactive to others as possible. However when a gentleman in a large pickup decides its a good idea to intentionally endanger me on the road for no apparent reason other than the fact I was speeding past him. I find it extremely difficult to not lose my shit.

Oh well, I guess I will chalk it up as learning experience and slow down until I can afford to go to the track someday. I'm a humanitarian, I would never want to endanger someone, or have them pose a risk to themselves by reacting in a way that they end up crashing. I trust myself, but not others.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #39
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I really try not too...especially live in Arizona. A lot of people have guns here and you just never know. When I was a teenager I cut off a car and brake checked him because he was driving too slow and he got out of his car at the next red light with a baseball bat. Luckily, his wife calmed him down but I never forget that lol.
Thankfully I've never witnessed anything like that first hand, but I have been stuck in the "road range compilation" rabbit hole-on YouTube for a few days now. It really puts things in perspective to see how worked up people get on the road.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      03-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #40
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Yeah it's a/holes switching lanes that are a problem for me usually driving a pile of 5hit.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #41
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I don’t engage or cause road rage but seem to be on the receiving end regularly. I think what I drive has a lot to do with the BMW asshole stereotype. I drive fast in Mexico but not like an asshole. I don’t weave. My blinker is hardwired, don’t even have to think about it. I keep right except to pass. That being said, I will bright you. The pack mentality drives me crazy when a left lane hugger paces with the car in the right. Move over. If someone is driving like a dick, that’s fine but if I see them coming up in my mirror and know they will attempt a stupid move in a gap too small, I will close that gap. If there is plenty of room, knock yourself out. I can’t tell you how many times people try to engage me for no reason other than the stereotype of what I drive.

My friend did throw an egg roll at a driver that tried to jap her on an entrance ramp.lol

Last edited by cmyx6go; 03-23-2020 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #42
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

The most you will get out of me is a series of horn honks. Not shy about using my horn if warranted but that's it. Would never in a million years roll down my window and scream at someone as that's just nuts. Nor would I ever brake check, cut someone off, etc. Psychotic behavior.

That said I do drive fast and from time to time end up on the receiving end of road rage. Probably 90%+ of the time it's simply because i want to pass someone who doesn't want to be passed and they take that very personally for some reason. I have been brake checked, flicked off, yelled at, etc. I just try to get away as fast as I can or simply laugh at them as they look at me in anger. I just wanna drive fast like Ricky Bobby but apparently that sets a lot of people off.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #43
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Driving towards winchester VA. Divided highway...rolling 70 or so. come up behind a minivan (MV) in left lane. Sedan in right lane. Can see heavy equipment being towed ahead in right lane.

We crest hill and sedan slams left in front of mini van to miss equipment. Mini can slams on brakes.

MV tailgates sedan. Sedan brake checks.

MV continues to tailgate closer... me and two friends back off...

Sedan slams on brakes HARD...MV slams back of sedan. Glass and brake lights shower us... MV pulls along side and they proceed to rub fenders for a good 1/4 mile.

Sedan takes off and me and one friend CHECK out easy 120+ making space........ not hanging out behind this mess. No place to pull uff.

Get to next light and both MV and sedan slam into left turn lane that empty and run the red against cross traffic. Both cars have heavy damage along the sides.

Later I call State Police....what if someone died....

I get a call back a day later and interviewed...tell him either car could have said "My bad" and backed off.

Sedan was never found....driver in minivan had injured kid who was unbelted.

Then Police says you guys took off pretty fast (I left that part out).

He said an off duty sheriff was in car behind us and said we took off and disappeared.

I asked the cop what he would have done.

He said ...I'd have done the exact same thing.....and tells me about his bikes....

Nuts.

People are stupid.

And getting worse...

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 3
      03-22-2020, 08:49 PM   #44
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

some tool almost t-boned me when he was making a u-turn as i was turning right on to the same road. i had the right of way, so i honk at him and give him the finger.

he then proceeds to fly past me in his POS infiniti g37 and then pull in front of me and slam on the brakes and come to a dead stop.. i was able to stop in time but i got pretty close to rear ending the fucking cunt.
Appreciate 0