BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

01-07-2019, 11:38 PM   #1
Cbm971
Rep
Drives: e60 and e90

Blown at 150k

I did not see this question anywhere so I will just ask it, and follow with my unimportant story after. My 530i rod bearings messed up and I am looking at swapping a used motor in it, can I use a 28i N52 variant or must I use a 30i or 25i varient? I know a few things where changed inthe block, that is why I wuld like to use the 28i variant with the 30i intake etc. would there be any issues doing this? porting all of my accessories and computer stuff over to the other version of the N52? Is there a guide to swapping an engine between two N52 BMW's? anything I should watch out for?

now my story, I treat my engine well, I change my oil every 4,000 miles with castrol edge full synthetic high mileage never mixing it or going over, I have not revved above 3,500 RPM in over 5,000 miles, never rev cold and I wait about 10 seconds between start to put it in gear, when stopped behind something I put the car in park or neutral to minimize load from torque converter friction, I should not have a rod bearing knocking, I check my oil level daily and replace the filter each time it is changed, why do you guys think the bearing failed? I really wanted my car to make it to 300....... barely made it half. I do have another N52 from a 325i but I don't want to use it because it has been siting for a year and has more miles than Moxies engine had. Moxie is her name btw, she get sick alot but now she needs a transplant. She has the sport package and adaptive steering, she misfires under load despite new sparks, I wasn't able to diagnose why, neither was any mechanic I went too, my code scanner picks up no errors under digital motor electronic, what do you guys think happened to moxie? and would th 28i N52 work? any guides to recommend? would replacing only the bearing be recommended?

Last edited by Cbm971; 01-08-2019 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: Typos and adding possibility of bearing only replacement
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Cbm971
Rep

Update I got a shop that.... may be okay to do it for 750, I will be using a 2008 N52 from a 28i variant. I shold get a certified shop but e money is tight. Will the engines have any issues? What is different between my 07 530i engine and a 08 28i engine internals? I read that it may have different bearings once but.... I struggle to find information really. again sorry if this stuff has been asked before, if I could find anything I wouldn't be here. Thank you guys. Whenever I get replies here it's always from some BMW expert. I really just want to know the differences between N52 from a 30i and 28i varient other than intake
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
Cbm971
Rep

sorry for typos

I don't know why my spelling is so bad today
Appreciate 0