BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-31-2018, 06:20 AM   #23
TomHudson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Only dumbells and curl bar..

Everything from 5lbs to 85lbs and a quality bench.
I’ve been doing weights for over 30 years, done the gym thing, it’s too much ego and most days it’s a SNL skit...however, I do miss the squat rack!

Bench press is awkward and not a natural movement, dumbells are superior...but then again, nobody asks how much dumbbell you can press..

I have a leg extension for the bench, but with dumbbell squats, sissy squats etc, you’re not going to be shy on anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #24
No one
Captain
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Dumbbell exercises are quite hard to do correctly. Unlike good workout machines that promote the correct form. A gym is safer. Dumbbells make you injury prone, should be taken with care. Correct form of the exercise must be the primary concern.

Regarding symmetric burden. This is what I like too and this was what I deformed my lower spine with doing lats pull ups (rows) bent over. A bad back is a huge issue to be avoided at all costs so I must recommend one hand bent over dumbbell exercises using the other hand to support the body (protecting the spine).
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:56 AM   #25
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alozcarney View Post
I am not training to be a heavyweight champion, and just want a good workout.
Your own body weight under gravity is all you really need. Just watch a few prison documentaries/movies, and see what boot camp looks like. While there are some weights in prison, they can get pretty strong with just their bunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #26
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
For legs-walking lunges with 45 pounders should make it happen.
And I agree with whomever said dumbells are great to get both sides of your body strong; believe me, putting up large amounts of weight on a bench press may sound great but one side of your body will dominate leading to problems.
walking lunges with a 45 in each hand sounds f-in painful but props to you, not an easy exercise. thats a lot of weight for a walking lunge!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #27
Redd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Dumbbell exercises are quite hard to do correctly. Unlike good workout machines that promote the correct form. A gym is safer. Dumbbells make you injury prone, should be taken with care. Correct form of the exercise must be the primary concern.
Actually I find the opposite to be true. Machines force you to move in a certain way which may not be natural. I always feel more strain on my joints when using machines especially when you get into the heavier weights. Dumbbells allow me to move in a much more natural manner, and I don't feel joint strain even while pressing 40kg dumbbells.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:12 AM   #28
No one
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Machines force you to move in a certain way which may not be natural.
This depends on the machine (I've been to a gym where machines must have been bought by a person who either knew too little to choose "wisely" or had a budget too limited to match quality to quantity needed, most obviously) and how you adjust it for yourself. The idea behind is to let you make effort properly focused and safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Dumbbells allow me to move in a much more natural manner, and I don't feel joint strain even while pressing 40kg dumbbells.
I know. That's swinging all around. Those natural moves are less effective about targeting the particular muscles you wish to work on. On the other hand, they let you do more which is a valuable practical skill when you need some real job done rather than just practice. "And it makes me wonder" whether I want perfect muscles or being "actually" strong.

Well, by being prone to injuries with dumbbells I actually mean additional efforts, involving more muscles which may be less ready for the weight than those you target: this is what I have suffered from. Good machines allow more isolated exercises. At some cost, perhaps. Joints are to be minded, of course!

Last edited by No one; 10-31-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added another thought, clarification.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #29
TomHudson
Captain
Rep

Less weight more reps.
Avoid the power lift of 4-6 reps, it’s a killer on your body.

Do sets of 5, 12-15 reps, reduce rest time in between. Adjust weight accordingly.

Large muscle groups react nicely to 2 exercise.
Change things around, variety is awesome.
Let your body recover.

Do cardio...I ride a bike, running is a bitch, but I do that too on occasion.

Proper form always.

Hardest part of a routine is staying motivated. Either at home or at the gym, first step is to actually walk through the doors.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #30
TomHudson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
This depends on the machine (I've been to a gym where machines must have been bought by a person who either knew too little to choose "wisely" or had a budget too limited to match quality to quantity needed, most obviously) and how you adjust it for yourself. The idea behind is to let you make effort properly focused and safe.

I know. That's swinging all around. Those natural moves are less effective about targeting the particular muscles you wish to work on. On the other hand, they let you do more which is a valuable practical skill when you need some real job done rather than just practice. "And it makes me wonder" whether I want perfect muscles or being "actually" strong.

Well, by being prone to injuries with dumbbells I actually mean additional efforts, involving more muscles which may be less ready for the weight than those you target: this is what I have suffered from. Good machines allow more isolated exercises. At some cost, perhaps. Joints are to be minded, of course!
Machines are awesome, but expensive and large for the house!

At the gym, all the meatheads lined up for the bench press, the athletes are using all the other equipment!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #31
The0pportunist
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
I have had 3 different insurance companies that all give up to 300$ a year for a health club membership reimbursement. It's definitely at least worth a call into your provider to find out. You still have to front the bill but it's nice getting paid back at the end of the year for something I would be paying for regardless of reimbursement.
Didn't know this was a thing!

I should call my life insurance provider!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #32
No one
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
Machines are awesome, but expensive and large for the house!
Sure! I did not suggest machines for the house, just answered the initial question what was a gym's attraction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alozcarney View Post
I was thinking of working out, but was wondering whether I should pay for gym membership and drive out there three times a week or just workout at home.

Putting the simplest, you have to lift dumbbells but you don't have to lift a machine (even the worst of those) - this makes an important difference regarding workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
At the gym, all the meatheads lined up for the bench press, the athletes are using all the other equipment!
Sure! I never understood people's passion for pushing a barbell from the bench: a weird addiction, indeed!
Appreciate 1
TomHudson419.00

10-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #33
JP10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Used strictly dumbbells for my lift today at the gym, not even on purpose. Confirmed, great workout is very possible! Also OP if you're planning on just working out at home consider picking up a cheap treadmill, dont skip that cardio!
Appreciate 0