BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Sim Racing

10-19-2022, 11:25 AM   #1
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

New PC Build!

Got sick of fighting with my ASUS G14 when playing VR (also wont support triple monitors), so I broke down and order a gaming PC setup. All my stuff showed up the past few days, so I got to building. Got Windows installed last night, but need to get drivers updated and figure out why it doesnt see the GPU (likely not enabled).

12th gen i9
RTX 3090ti Founders Edition
Corsair Vengence 32GB DDR5 4800 XMP
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming Wifi 6E Micro ATX
Samsung 980 500GB M.2 primary
Samsung 980 2TB M.2 game drive
ASUS ROG Strix 120x3 360mm water cooler
Corsair RMx 1000w PCU
Thermaltake P3 Open Frame Case

Stoked to try this out! Shouldn't struggle with anything I throw at it. Will be primarily used for AC, PC3, DCS, Elite Dangerous, and one Starfield comes out that will consume my life.
Attached Images

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 3
p0p141.00
///MPhatic13538.50
ntg442887.50
      10-19-2022, 11:48 AM   #2
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks good.

No 4090?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #3
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Looks good.

No 4090?
I had thought about it, but I knew I wouldn't get one before they sold out, plus they are extreme overkill right now. The 3090ti should still be plenty for quite some time.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 01:05 PM   #4
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I like that case... or mounting apparatus. I'm not sure I can call it a case. I've been wanting to build another PC for years. Last time I did it was a Pentium II with some Diamond Stealth cards in SLI. Yea, long time ago. Every time I go to put something together, though, I can never make a decision and just end up saying screw it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #5
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
I like that case... or mounting apparatus. I'm not sure I can call it a case. I've been wanting to build another PC for years. Last time I did it was a Pentium II with some Diamond Stealth cards in SLI. Yea, long time ago. Every time I go to put something together, though, I can never make a decision and just end up saying screw it.
I was hesitant with the case being it is open frame, but after reading reviews and reddit convos about them I decided to give it a try. Folks report much cooler temps with less need for multiple fans. If kept above desk level it helps cut down the dust quite a bit, and since dust isnt getting circulated inside a close container it's less likely to stick. Plus, you should be cleaning out your case and components often anyways.

I plan to eventually wall mount it once I get an actual sim rig, and not the home made contraption I have now. Small steps.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 04:03 PM   #6
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

How much for all?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #7
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
How much for all?

EDIT: $3115 shipped

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 04:13 PM   #8
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
EDIT: $3115 shipped
Thanks.
Ah less than I thought! Good deal. Enjoy your system in good health! Like the “case”, can’t say I’ve seen one like that before, but it’s a good idea.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 07:18 AM   #9
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Welp, I have the infamous GPU code 43 error. I have tried everything I know, I've tried every suggestion I've found online (which is basically multiple ways to reinstall GPU drivers which I have already tried multiple times), so tonight as a last resort I am going to wipe and reinstall windows. Apparently there is no for sure fix and is usually resolved randomly through different processes, but from my research this is usually WINDOWS drivers that are causing the issue, not the GPU drivers which would explain why so many people get "lucky".

I also found out the PCIe riser cable supplied with the case is a 3.0 cable, and the 3090ti is 4.0, so that might, MIGHT, be causing some of my issues. You should be able to run the 3090 on 3.0 with minimal performance loss, so I'm not convinced it has anything to do with my driver issues. But I'm going to order a cable anyways. After researching the cable I do find it frustrating that its 2022 and they are still sending the 3.0 cable after so many people have had issues with for a few years now.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 07:52 AM   #10
p0p
Ninja
Rep
Drives: N54 & B58

Garage List
IMHO - I would have done Samsung pro; you limiting yourself to only 3k Read/write when it can be 7k+

Even RAID 0 or 10
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #11
p0p
Ninja
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Welp, I have the infamous GPU code 43 error. I have tried everything I know, I've tried every suggestion I've found online (which is basically multiple ways to reinstall GPU drivers which I have already tried multiple times), so tonight as a last resort I am going to wipe and reinstall windows. Apparently there is no for sure fix and is usually resolved randomly through different processes, but from my research this is usually WINDOWS drivers that are causing the issue, not the GPU drivers which would explain why so many people get "lucky".

I also found out the PCIe riser cable supplied with the case is a 3.0 cable, and the 3090ti is 4.0, so that might, MIGHT, be causing some of my issues. You should be able to run the 3090 on 3.0 with minimal performance loss, so I'm not convinced it has anything to do with my driver issues. But I'm going to order a cable anyways. After researching the cable I do find it frustrating that its 2022 and they are still sending the 3.0 cable after so many people have had issues with for a few years now.
I would do a BIOS firmware update
In BIOS disable onboard graphics

Maybe change PCIe slot to 4.0 or 3.0 (settings in BIOS)
- i have not looked much into PCIe 5.0

Last edited by p0p; 10-20-2022 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 08:58 AM   #12
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0p View Post
IMHO - I would have done Samsung pro; you limiting yourself to only 3k Read/write when it can be 7k+

Even RAID 0 or 10
My game drive is a 980 Pro, my OS drive is not. There was not a 980 Pro 500GB available when I ordered. Easy enough to upgrade later.

Quote:
I would do a BIOS firmware update
In BIOS disable onboard graphics

Maybe change PCIe slot to 4.0 or 3.0 (settings in BIOS)
- i have not looked much into PCIe 5.0
BIOS and FW is all up to date, went through all other updates from the mobo website as well. I have not tried disabling onboard graphics yet because I have to use onboard for troubleshooting. The Nvidia GPU will work after reinstalling drivers, but may or may not bluescreen after a little bit, and once I restart it goes back into error state and does not work at all, so I have to swap back to onboard. It powers on, and device manager see's it as the correct card, but it will not display and device manager has it in an error state for code 43. In details it states display.inf failed to start, so that leaves me to believe Windows has a corrupt driver, not the driver from Nvidia. sfc did not resolve it since its a fresh build I have nothing cached and nothing to roll back to. Hopefully a fresh install resolves it.

I have tried 4.0, 3.0 and auto for PCIe settings. I have not tried 5.0, but with this riser cable only being 3.0 I didn't see the point. I am using the 8-pin cable so it "should" be getting enough power, but I'm skeptical of this riser cable from Thermaltake.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #13
p0p
Ninja
Rep

Garage List
To rule out that cable; run it without

Also on the cable there is a disclaimer (at lest for this cable)
https://www.newegg.com/asus-model-rs...82E16814997024

Disclaimer
This product is only compatible for devices that support the PCI-E 3.0 specification. If you use this product with a motherboard that supports PCI-E 4.0, please enter into BIOS option and select PCIE 3.0 before installation.

ALSO FYI Samsung 500 pro has a little slower read speed then 1 or 2tb

Good luck getting this worked out
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 09:49 AM   #14
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To rule out that cable; run it without

Also on the cable there is a disclaimer (at lest for this cable)
https://www.newegg.com/asus-model-rs...82E16814997024

Disclaimer
This product is only compatible for devices that support the PCI-E 3.0 specification. If you use this product with a motherboard that supports PCI-E 4.0, please enter into BIOS option and select PCIE 3.0 before installation.

ALSO FYI Samsung 500 pro has a little slower read speed then 1 or 2tb

Good luck getting this worked out
I was going to test without, but I'd have to remove the AIO fans and rad to make clearance and didnt feel like disassembling everything. Regardless I did order a Thermaltake 4.0 cable though. The more I read the more I think it's the cable. I found some more reviews stating others could not get the 30 series GPU to work with the supplied cable and had to order the 4.0.

EIT: Come to think, I might be able to just temporarily remove the center fan from the rad to make clearance for the GPU to see if it works. Now I have to wait all day to get home and try it lol

Last edited by ///d; 10-20-2022 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 09:52 AM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Got sick of fighting with my ASUS G14 when playing VR (also wont support triple monitors), so I broke down and order a gaming PC setup. All my stuff showed up the past few days, so I got to building. Got Windows installed last night, but need to get drivers updated and figure out why it doesnt see the GPU (likely not enabled).

12th gen i9
RTX 3090ti Founders Edition
Corsair Vengence 32GB DDR5 4800 XMP
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming Wifi 6E Micro ATX
Samsung 980 500GB M.2 primary
Samsung 980 2TB M.2 game drive
ASUS ROG Strix 120x3 360mm water cooler
Corsair RMx 1000w PCU
Thermaltake P3 Open Frame Case

Stoked to try this out! Shouldn't struggle with anything I throw at it. Will be primarily used for AC, PC3, DCS, Elite Dangerous, and one Starfield comes out that will consume my life.
This post is so over my head, but I'm glad you made it because I'm going to have you help me build my next computer .
Appreciate 1
///d1807.00
      10-20-2022, 10:04 AM   #16
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
This post is so over my head, but I'm glad you made it because I'm going to have you help me build my next computer .
If you're not computer savvy to physically build it yourself you can buy pre-built and it will be ready to use when you receive it. I personally like building myself because;

a) I like making things
b) you can get big specs for cheaper by choosing your supplier
c) I can get a bare bones version of windows without all the bloatware pre-installed
d) I can make it look however I want (opt out of flashing lights, select colors, etc)

I would consider this a mid-range build. A lot of the time with pre-built machines, mid-range might have high end graphics and a mid level CPU, but lack in storage, memory, or use a cheaper motherboard.

Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13538.50
      10-20-2022, 10:32 AM   #17
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
If you're not computer savvy to physically build it yourself you can buy pre-built and it will be ready to use when you receive it. I personally like building myself because;

a) I like making things
b) you can get big specs for cheaper by choosing your supplier
c) I can get a bare bones version of windows without all the bloatware pre-installed
d) I can make it look however I want (opt out of flashing lights, select colors, etc)

I would consider this a mid-range build. A lot of the time with pre-built machines, mid-range might have high end graphics and a mid level CPU, but lack in storage, memory, or use a cheaper motherboard.
I'm so tired of HP and DELL. I want my next computer to be reliable like they are, but more specific to what I do (which isn't much). All I need is a standard computer with an SSD and enough power/ram to run Photoshop easily, and support a big monitor (42"). I also like CLEAN OS's, not all that crap they add to it on the HP and DELL models. Seems like too much to ask for just a clean/fast Photoshop computer. I just miss my Win7 machine
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 11:24 AM   #18
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Welp, its the cable. I couldnt stand waiting for a new cable to find out, so I pulled the case apart, mounted the rad at an angle to make clearance for the GPU, mounted GPU straight to the board, set PCIe 5 and everything works.

AC and DCS run super smooth. Fans don't even begin to spin up faster with either of them. Going to fire up PC3 and Dirt 2.0 tonight since they are VR resource heavy and see if I can get it to sweat a little, but I doubt it will. I think Horizons 5 is the most graphics hungry game I have, but that doesnt do VR.

New cable will be here Monday, then I'll go back to vertical GPU. Its a 4.0 cable, but shouldnt see much of a dropin performance, if anything even noticable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
nerdogray1274.00
ntg442887.50
      10-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #19
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Nice build OP. Hope it all performs well for you.

GPUs have gotten stupid huge. I'm still rocking my 1080ti FE and I thought that was a big card when I got it.

I don't game on PC as much as I used to, especially now that I have a Steam Deck. I have a 21:9 1440p 100Hz monitor, and the build I have is just about perfectly matched to it. Ever since the GPU bubble I haven't been interested enough to justify a 4k60 build, so I'm mainly on PS5 and Steam Deck now. Maybe one day I'll be back, but I'm ok with 1440p100 for now
      10-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #20
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Nice build OP. Hope it all performs well for you.

GPUs have gotten stupid huge. I'm still rocking my 1080ti FE and I thought that was a big card when I got it.

I don't game on PC as much as I used to, especially now that I have a Steam Deck. I have a 21:9 1440p 100Hz monitor, and the build I have is just about perfectly matched to it. Ever since the GPU bubble I haven't been interested enough to justify a 4k60 build, so I'm mainly on PS5 and Steam Deck now. Maybe one day I'll be back, but I'm ok with 1440p100 for now
How do you like the Steamdeck? I've been eyeballing it for travelling so I dont have to bring the laptop with.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 02:20 PM   #21
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
How do you like the Steamdeck? I've been eyeballing it for travelling so I dont have to bring the laptop with.
So far, I love it. I'm not sure when this happened, but at some point in my life it became overly tedious for me to get in the mood for a full sit down session on console/PC. Whereas laying down anywhere and just booting up the steam deck has actually motivated me to game more than I ever have the past 3+ years. There's something so casual and effortless about it, and the fact that it can handle basically anything I throw at it is the most compelling thing about it.

However, I will say, your mileage may vary depending on the games you play on it and how long your sessions are. For modern games at 60 fps, it maxes out at 1.5-2 hours of battery life, which is perfect for me, but maybe not so for everyone. Also, the ergonomics are good, but the weight of it can be a bit much after a while if you're playing it elevated. It's much better being played while either the deck or your arms/elbows are resting on something. And while it supports many games, only about half in my library are considered playable according to Steam's standards, so check with your library first.

But for my purposes, it's a solid 9/10 experience that can't be had on anything else. And the fact that I don't really need to buy any games exclusively for it is a massive bonus. I'd recommend it to any PC gamer for playing on the go, or on the couch . Not that it couldn't feasibly be used as its own thing with its own library, but the value increases significantly for people with large steam libraries already.