BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Hotels.com SUCKS!

I have never dealt with such an incompetent completely worthless company before EVER.

I recently booked a room through them for NYE in D.C. The ordering process was quick and easy and I got my confirmation email that everything was all set.

4 days later...

I get to the hotel, have the valet park my car and head to the check in counter. I give the receptionist my name and credit card. The receptionist tells me he doesn't see me in their system or has any record of my resveration. I was like OK...well I booked the room and was charged by hotels.com. He was like do you have a confirmation number? I was like yeah, here is the print out...he looks at it and was like, well I need the Hilton confirmation number, not the hotels.com confirmation number and that they should have been included in the print out.

Thinking, its probably no biggie, I end up calling hotels.com dealing with them for nearly an hour...3/4 of time time being on hold. They basically never booked the room but ended up charging me for it anyway.

Their resolution to the problem? Send me to another hotel near by 6pm in the evening on NYE in the middle of d.c. traffic in a city I am not firmiliar with. Keep in mind it costs 34 dollars for valet that I just sent my car to. They would not book another room at the hotel and eat the difference. They offered to transfer me to "another" dept who might be able to "do something." I was like F IT, just refund my money and I will never deal with you guys again. I ended up missing dinner with my friends and running extremely late for everything else.

I ended up getting a room at the same hotel for 30 dollars cheaper.

F*** hotels.com.

The kicker? The receptionist says this happens ALL THE TIME with Hotels.com and some other service providers, but marjority of the f ups come from hotels.com

I strongly suggest no one ever use them because they're a joke. When you want to book a hotel, you speak to someone with an american accent and its smooth. If you need to talk to customer service, your dealing with folks from obivously another country with heavy accents. It shouldn't be a hassel to book a freaking room or deal with an issue for over an hour. Just rebook me and eat the difference if necessary. It's not my fault you f'ed up.

If you do decide to use them, I recommend two things:

1. Make sure you get a confirmation number from the HOTEL and not just hotels.com's confirmation number.
2. Call the hotel a day or two before arriving to assure you actually have a room there.

Thanks for letting me rant.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Note to self: Never use Hotels.com.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i always use travelocity, never had a single issue with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Note to self: Never use Hotels.com.
+1 Sucks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

I used hotels.com twice. Once to book a room at a Hilton in Toronto and once to book a room at the Drake in Chicago. In both cases I was extremely disappointed with the rooms they booked. They are both good hotels but somehow hotels.com manages to find bad rooms in good hotels.

I've vowed to never use them again.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I think I've used them once or twice and never had a problem with them. However, to hear about them like this is kinda scary. I've just used Priceline to book a room just a few days ago and that was good as well. Got the room for about $35 cheaper than hotel.com (thru name your price). I would say that it's always best to check but it seems in this case that Hotels.com should have done their part or at least take a loss and take care of the customer. Not only that, to be on the phone for an hour to resolve an issue is WAY TOO DAMN LONG!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Post your story at consumerist.com and post about it on Twitter, too - a lot of reps from companies like hotels.com monitor those sites and will respond to unhappy customers.
      01-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

^^^ LOL at your sig quote
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Thanks for warning us about hotels.com.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #10
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
^^^ LOL at your sig quote
haha I think that quote was from a dude who was praising the 135i.

OP: Sorry this happened with you. I run my own hotel business, and surprisingly I haven't ran into too many screw-up's from hotels.com. I do believe what happened with you though.

Dealing with third party websites can be more prone to mistakes & errors. Learning from your experience, I now believe it would be best to directly reconfirm your reservation with the hotel itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

I nearly used them to book a hotel 2 weeks ago. Glad I went to hotel directly.
      01-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
I have never dealt with such an incompetent completely worthless company before EVER.

I recently booked a room through them for NYE in D.C. The ordering process was quick and easy and I got my confirmation email that everything was all set.

4 days later...

I get to the hotel, have the valet park my car and head to the check in counter. I give the receptionist my name and credit card. The receptionist tells me he doesn't see me in their system or has any record of my resveration. I was like OK...well I booked the room and was charged by hotels.com. He was like do you have a confirmation number? I was like yeah, here is the print out...he looks at it and was like, well I need the Hilton confirmation number, not the hotels.com confirmation number and that they should have been included in the print out.

Thinking, its probably no biggie, I end up calling hotels.com dealing with them for nearly an hour...3/4 of time time being on hold. They basically never booked the room but ended up charging me for it anyway.

Their resolution to the problem? Send me to another hotel near by 6pm in the evening on NYE in the middle of d.c. traffic in a city I am not firmiliar with. Keep in mind it costs 34 dollars for valet that I just sent my car to. They would not book another room at the hotel and eat the difference. They offered to transfer me to "another" dept who might be able to "do something." I was like F IT, just refund my money and I will never deal with you guys again. I ended up missing dinner with my friends and running extremely late for everything else.

I ended up getting a room at the same hotel for 30 dollars cheaper.

F*** hotels.com.

The kicker? The receptionist says this happens ALL THE TIME with Hotels.com and some other service providers, but marjority of the f ups come from hotels.com

I strongly suggest no one ever use them because they're a joke. When you want to book a hotel, you speak to someone with an american accent and its smooth. If you need to talk to customer service, your dealing with folks from obivously another country with heavy accents. It shouldn't be a hassel to book a freaking room or deal with an issue for over an hour. Just rebook me and eat the difference if necessary. It's not my fault you f'ed up.

If you do decide to use them, I recommend two things:

1. Make sure you get a confirmation number from the HOTEL and not just hotels.com's confirmation number.
2. Call the hotel a day or two before arriving to assure you actually have a room there.

Thanks for letting me rant.
please please please send this to consumerist.com. They will definitely post something like this and i'll get a kick out of if hotels.com contacts you or consumerist regarding this and offers you some kind of future compensation.
      01-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Thanks everyone, I've never heard of consumerist.com before. I'll definately check it out and post up this story.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Sorry to hear of your hassles with hotels.com. Sux when some bonehead screws up like that and you end up paying the price. But just to balance this out, I've been using hotels.com for years and never had an issue. I just got a free night from them for having ten previous bookings. I don't always use them because sometimes it's cheaper to go through the hotel's own website and look for lower rates. In my case I can get state employee rate, which is often cheaper. Still, I've used hotels.com several dozen times and I've never run across anything like you experienced. I'd chalk it up to some dumbass employee who screwed up. Hotels.com should compensate you, though. Try elevating the problem and maybe they'll spot you a free night.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

humm....ive used them before and never had a problem. i will keep an eye out now for the actual hotel confirmation number and not just hotels.com's number.
      01-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I used travelocity...no problem so far...
thanks for giving us a heads up...Note to self - avoid hotels.com
      01-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #17
Cosmop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I've used Hotels.com for years and never had a problem. I do always seem to end up in the room for handicap people when I use Hotels.com. I don't mind because I perfer the walk-in showers and larger rooms.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
Searcher821
I find stuff
Rep
Drives: Jet pack

I've used them for Hilton Malmö City, and guess what ... they screwed that up as well

Eventually they found my reservation under the wife's name because I had put her down as the second person in the room. Was billed to my credit card though.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Looks like its travelocity ftw
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #20
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 COUPE

i used them several times, no problems what so ever...lesson learned, alway sget hotel confirmationm # which was alway ssupplied to me
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

i always book it direct as I'm afraid this would happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #22
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

travelocity user here. No complaints

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0