BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

03-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

A video worth watching for anyone into watches

I have no idea who this guy is, but I love his attitude about watch collecting. I wish more folks had his perspective about the hobby.

http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq...ollection.html

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
Efini
Silent Service
Rep
Drives: BMW

wow didnt know john meyer was such a big collector. awesome video thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efini View Post
wow didnt know john meyer was such a big collector. awesome video thanks for sharing!
I'm also impressed. He seems to either know what he is talking about or is very well versed for this video, though the former seems more likely the way he is talking. It would be interesting to learn how many more people in the spotlight are collectors that know their stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

The thing that I liked best about the interview/video is that it's clear that the guy is a real "watch geek," or what I call "watchie." He's not a snob about watches, but then nobody who's into watches for the sake of the watches is. Not collectors like me who see them more as fashion accessories than as "motors," not the total "movement freaks," and not the "exclusivity collectors" like him. You can see it in that he has an appreciation for watches and recognizes that there's tons of fun to be had with them regardless of price, pedigree, etc. My favorite part of the video was where he subtly mocked the watch snobs.

Sure as I mention "watch snobs," I know some folks will think of the web comedian known as The Watch Snob. I know lots of folks read that column and enjoy it. I do too. What I was surprised to find out in recent years is that a lot of folks don't get that The Watch Snob column is a comedy of manners more that anything else.

That said, The Watch Snob is at least accurate on the facts, it's merely unfortunate that people misconstrue his/her editorializing and sarcasm as also being factual. To quote David Levithan, "If smart people are parodying it, that's a sure sign that some less smart people are believing it.”

The 21st century is the result of the great strides in social equality made in the late 1900s. Perhaps therefor high-brow parody is too old a form of comedy for modern folks to get it, particularly when it's written rather than visual -- video killed more than the radio star, IMO -- but folks familiar with books, plays, radio, movies and television from the mid-20th century or before probably relate to it. If I had to guess, I'd say the modern evolution of that sort of thing might be reality shows like "Housewives of XYZ City," but for the fact that reality stars seem to take themselves far more seriously than did comedic performers of yore, and the folks who watch those shows seem to take them seriously too.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Great video... JM has a nice collection - I wish I had similar financial capabilities to set about my own collection!
      03-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Unfortunately it looks like he got scammed on some of his vintage purchases, including at least one in that video...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabet...rankenwatches/
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

at least the PP 5970g is real, right? LOL

this is why i have a hard time pulling the trigger on vintage pieces.. too many stories like this
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
at least the PP 5970g is real, right? LOL

this is why i have a hard time pulling the trigger on vintage pieces.. too many stories like this
It really all comes down to new v. used and the integrity of the seller. If one is going to play in the pre-owned arena -- vintage or current -- one really must trust only oneself. That's the lesson I take from Mr. Mayer's mishap.

Of course, I have yet to follow my own advice. I haven't ever bought a pre-owned watch. The same, however, can be said of GMSs.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 12:35 AM   #9
BigHurmJr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M-Sport

Thanks for sharing this. Great video to watch.... Pun intended.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 05:05 AM   #10
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I have no idea who this guy is, but I love his attitude about watch collecting. I wish more folks had his perspective about the hobby.

http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq...ollection.html

All the best.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #11
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
The thing that I liked best about the interview/video is that it's clear that the guy is a real "watch geek," or what I call "watchie." He's not a snob about watches, but then nobody who's into watches for the sake of the watches is. Not collectors like me who see them more as fashion accessories than as "motors," not the total "movement freaks," and not the "exclusivity collectors" like him. You can see it in that he has an appreciation for watches and recognizes that there's tons of fun to be had with them regardless of price, pedigree, etc. My favorite part of the video was where he subtly mocked the watch snobs.

Sure as I mention "watch snobs," I know some folks will think of the web comedian known as The Watch Snob. I know lots of folks read that column and enjoy it. I do too. What I was surprised to find out in recent years is that a lot of folks don't get that The Watch Snob column is a comedy of manners more that anything else.

That said, The Watch Snob is at least accurate on the facts, it's merely unfortunate that people misconstrue his/her editorializing and sarcasm as also being factual. To quote David Levithan, "If smart people are parodying it, that's a sure sign that some less smart people are believing it.”

The 21st century is the result of the great strides in social equality made in the late 1900s. Perhaps therefor high-brow parody is too old a form of comedy for modern folks to get it, particularly when it's written rather than visual -- video killed more than the radio star, IMO -- but folks familiar with books, plays, radio, movies and television from the mid-20th century or before probably relate to it. If I had to guess, I'd say the modern evolution of that sort of thing might be reality shows like "Housewives of XYZ City," but for the fact that reality stars seem to take themselves far more seriously than did comedic performers of yore, and the folks who watch those shows seem to take them seriously too.

All the best.
Tony, can I ask you your opinion on the dark side of the moon watch? I have 2 other Omegas and love them but really like the sportiness of the dark side.

Thoughts on the watch and do you know how long they will continue making it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0