BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #23
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
If the majority of the decking has not felt water, there's really no reason to replace it. It would be nice and comforting, but add another 2ish to 3 grand. Decking is spensive.
5k sq ft of decking is about 150 sheets of decking 4'x8' @ about $30 per sheet for 3/4" thick lumber

I personally almost never do a full deck replacement, I bring just 3 sheets of wood on EVERY job just for some sections that must be replaced but rarely need all 3 (example of a 1800 sq ft home)

My 2 cents is, have the contractor put in the cost of deck replacement as needed for a agreed upon price, example first 200 sq fit of decking replaced no charge but after $150 per additional 100 sq ft

Lumber costs for 100 sq ft (3 sheets) is $90'ish $60 for labor, as a contractor I'm fine with that I will only replace what's needed (nice fair pricing)
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
RickFLM410880.50
      06-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #24
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
That does not include removing and reinstalling the mosquito misting system
Had to look that up...interesting.

How often do you run this and for how long?

Is the difference pretty immediate or does it take time to work, etc.?

I've seen a couple peeps around here running a Mosquito Magnet, but have always read mixed reviews on that product.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      06-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #25
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

The way the first quote is structured is:

Project scope:
* Remove all existing roof material down and disposal.
* Replace rotted wood
* Re nail all plywood with 8d ring shank nail to code
* Install #30 felt down and install tin tab meal to code atach with 1 1/4 ring shank nail. * Install 3x3 drip edge metal 3x3 galvanized
* Install modified self adhesive TU Max
* Install eveclosure metal for tile
* Install hips and ridge channel metal
* Install metal valley where is needed
* Install roof tile Malibu roof tile with foam adhesive and screw ever 5 row
* Install ridge cap tile roof with concrete cement and foam

Contractor will replace 4 sheets of plywood after that $65 per sheet will be charged, fascia board $25 per linear feet of cedar wood, regular $ 4 per feet,will be charged , 2x4wood at $ 3 per linear feet
      06-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #26
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Had to look that up...interesting.

How often do you run this and for how long?

Is the difference pretty immediate or does it take time to work, etc.?

I've seen a couple peeps around here running a Mosquito Magnet, but have always read mixed reviews on that product.
We had a mosquito magnet and it was garbage.

The misting system runs off a timer. During warm / rainy months we run it 3x / day and it sprays about 35 seconds each time. During cooler / dryer months we only have it go off 2x / day. There is also a remote to set it off whenever you want.

We have nozzles all around the front and sides of the house, a couple on the patio and all around the patio fence as a perimeter. They are connected to fascia, and downspouts and there are some risers in the landscape. It works very well. Not 100% but way better than anything else we’ve tried. We had a screen that got destroyed in Hurricane Wilma and like it better with the no screen view + misting system.

The effect is mostly immediate. It kills on contact. It is also important to eliminate standing water to control population.

It is expensive... installation, quarterly maintenance and tank refills. You can DIY and I threaten to do so every time a bill arrives, but then get lazy.
      06-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #27
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
The effect is mostly immediate. It kills on contact.
How many legs did you say you have now? Can pets/kids/people be out when the spray goes off?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #28
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
How many legs did you say you have now? Can pets/kids/people be out when the spray goes off?
While I wouldn’t drink a glass of it or go out of my way to stand in front of a nozzle when the system starts misting, I have been outside when it goes off. They tell me I was unconscious for only 3 days.

It sprays pyrethrum, which is derived from chrysanthemum flowers. It is supposed to have very low toxicity. It is pretty common around here. Someone on the HOA board has a wife who is a nurse that initially flipped out about it until she researched it. Then they bought a system. We researched it and it seems about as safe a solution as you can have. Of course we are relying on the vendor to tell us what is going in the tank.

We have tons of mosquitos here and aside for them being a nuisance they can also be bad for health. Pick your poison so to speak.
      06-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #29
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
While I wouldn’t drink a glass of it or go out of my way to stand in front of a nozzle when the system starts misting, I have been outside when it goes off. They tell me I was unconscious for only 3 days.

It sprays pyrethrum, which is derived from chrysanthemum flowers. It is supposed to have very low toxicity. It is pretty common around here. Someone on the HOA board has a wife who is a nurse that initially flipped out about it until she researched it. Then they bought a system. We researched it and it seems about as safe a solution as you can have. Of course we are relying on the vendor to tell us what is going in the tank.

We have tons of mosquitos here and aside for them being a nuisance they can also be bad for health. Pick your poison so to speak.
Be poisoned or die from malaria
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #30
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Be poisoned or die from malaria
Right. Or potentially get West Nile virus, encephalitis, chikungunya, dengue fever, etc. I think those are unlikely, but they do show up in the news every so often. I'm sure they help spur some mosquito solution sales when they are in the news. We mostly just hate having mosquitoes when we take the dog out in morning and night, or use the patio when company is over.
      06-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #31
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I forgot about this thread. I don't venture into these parts much but saw the Roofing tag in latest post column and peeked in.

I thought 'stories' might be entertaining.

Had a two story steep wood shingle that we were removing and putting down decking and a 50 year HD. When the guys scrape off wood shingles with a pitchfork they fall in one of two places, attic or ground. She called me screaming, literally, that they had destroyed her prized tree. I tilted my head and said whatever to myself and said I'm on my way. Turns out it was a little stick of branch broken off of an ordinary shrub. Holly, maybe. She wanted 10K or she'd call the police and a lawyer. I just looked at her for a few seconds, laughed and said you'll be making a big mistake. She sniveled something at me a scurried off.
Job continued and she was tickled pink when finished. Paid the minute I said we are done.

Had a woman invite me in...10 minutes later she was hitting on me like a Tijuana night walker. She was pretty too but the family pics above the fireplace squashed that thought. Literally rubbing up against me at her breakfast table. Lady, I thought I was here to show you color samples!

And...had a guy start acting sketchy towards me. I let him know that I enjoy females...he said then why don't I come back that evening when his wife was there too.
I was the one to scurry off, never to return.
      06-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #32
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I forgot about this thread. I don't venture into these parts much but saw the Roofing tag in latest post column and peeked in.

I thought 'stories' might be entertaining.

Had a two story steep wood shingle that we were removing and putting down decking and a 50 year HD. When the guys scrape off wood shingles with a pitchfork they fall in one of two places, attic or ground. She called me screaming, literally, that they had destroyed her prized tree. I tilted my head and said whatever to myself and said I'm on my way. Turns out it was a little stick of branch broken off of an ordinary shrub. Holly, maybe. She wanted 10K or she'd call the police and a lawyer. I just looked at her for a few seconds, laughed and said you'll be making a big mistake. She sniveled something at me a scurried off.
Job continued and she was tickled pink when finished. Paid the minute I said we are done.

Had a woman invite me in...10 minutes later she was hitting on me like a Tijuana night walker. She was pretty too but the family pics above the fireplace squashed that thought. Literally rubbing up against me at her breakfast table. Lady, I thought I was here to show you color samples!

And...had a guy start acting sketchy towards me. I let him know that I enjoy females...he said then why don't I come back that evening when his wife was there too.
I was the one to scurry off, never to return.
The dating thread is over there -->
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410783.00
GERMAN M34176.50
      06-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #33
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
The dating thread is over there -->
I wasn't discussing dating. I'll pass on the thread but thanks for the info.
A quarter century ago weirdness was my posts content.

A good weekend to all.
Out.
      06-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #34
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Simple solution
Wait for hail in you are call roofing company
Have them inspect your roof
Call you insurance company and have them pay for it
You welcome
      06-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #35
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Simple solution
Wait for hail in you are call roofing company
Have them inspect your roof
Call you insurance company and have them pay for it
You welcome
We don’t get much major hail here. The roof has been through 4 hurricanes with only minor damage. There is a chance we could get another hurricane this year that will be bad enough to get a new roof but no so bad it blows the roof off and ruins everything else. Unlikely but possible.
GERMAN M34176.50
      06-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #36
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
The way the first quote is structured is:

Project scope:
* Remove all existing roof material down and disposal.
* Replace rotted wood
* Re nail all plywood with 8d ring shank nail to code
* Install #30 felt down and install tin tab meal to code atach with 1 1/4 ring shank nail. * Install 3x3 drip edge metal 3x3 galvanized
* Install modified self adhesive TU Max
* Install eveclosure metal for tile
* Install hips and ridge channel metal
* Install metal valley where is needed
* Install roof tile Malibu roof tile with foam adhesive and screw ever 5 row
* Install ridge cap tile roof with concrete cement and foam

Contractor will replace 4 sheets of plywood after that $65 per sheet will be charged, fascia board $25 per linear feet of cedar wood, regular $ 4 per feet,will be charged , 2x4wood at $ 3 per linear feet
$25/ft for cedar fascia? That seems a bit high to me based on material cost. What size are your fascia boards?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #37
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
What size are your fascia boards?
YEE-UUGE! The BEST fascia boards there are!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #38
hooligan_G01
Rep

I mean, even assuming 1x12 - red cedar boards are about $6/ft here locally at the big box stores.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #39
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
I mean, even assuming 1x12 - red cedar boards are about $6/ft here locally at the big box stores.

They look like 2 x 8. Presumably there is something built into the $25 price for labor to remove old and replace with new in addition to cost of the cedar boards.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/2-x-8-x-8-f...ual/1000139083
      06-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #40
hooligan_G01
Rep

Dimensional lumber as fascia? Talk about overbuilt!

Yes, I would assume the price/ft includes tear off and reinstall, but still...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #41
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

On the payment terms, I hate to give a deposit on a large job because that means I am extending credit to the supplier/contractor but I really don’t have a good way to check their credit. I get laughed at for this, but I’ve seen several significant contractors go under and take a bunch of customer deposits with them (they were using the deposits to pay labor and materials on completed jobs, robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak). Too common. Just happened to the landscape/hardscape firm locally that was considered the best quality, highest price, etc. Checking references wouldn’t have prevented this, because their customers loved their work. But there is no good way to see their books, and being private I’m not sure you could trust them anyway. I’ve seen it with furniture stores, carpet, and cabinets. So unless I know the firm/people, I prefer zero deposit or will only agree to what I can afford to lose. I’d rather they put a lien on my house than I have to chase them down for my deposit.
Appreciate 0