BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

01-31-2024, 07:41 PM   #1
ryanm3
A Porsche lover
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2024 BMW M3CX  [0.00]
A terrible PPF work from an authorized Llumar dealer

UPDATE 02/01/2024: Shop agreed to do a full refund, I copied their CEO with the pictures taken.

UPDATE 02/02/2024: Got my vehicle back and sending to the dealership for the examination. After removing the PPF, marring and swirls can be clearly seen from the “correction”.

UPDATE 02/19/2024: Sent the vehicle to Reflected Images Custom Detailing around Bel Air MD, waiting for the final PPF job.

UPDATE 03/02/2024: PPF done, great job thanks to Reflected Images!

Got the special paint almost ruined. I cannot believe how this place gets certified by Llumar? The shop told me they had the installer flying from Miami who specializes on high end cars, and this is the crap I received:

First pic: lifting edge, either precut or terrible handcut. Under my torchlight you can see food wrap like white residues.

Second pic: OMFG, a black compound got sealed and several mositure bubbles. The cut job around the emblem is such a joke.

and more...

I ask them to redo and give me two weeks and I will update here, likely I will need a refund eventually, I don't even think they can handle BMW.

Who does a great job in Maryland? I likely will need to refund and find someone else. I heard some good names in VA but I cannot stay there and wait
Attached Images

Last edited by ryanm3; 03-17-2024 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:50 PM   #2
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

I am extremely picky. American Shine in Sterling, VA did my car and it's almost flawless. There were one or two areas that I needed addressed but they did it on the spot and took care of it. Because they know how OCD i am, they actually removed all of the emblems and tucked the PPF under the emblems, and reinstalled. So you see no breaks in the PPF around the emblem on my bumper, or trunk.

They do take a little longer time wise, but it's because they take their time. Brian the owner is a great guy and has been around a long time. I wouldn't let anyone else touch my car. In fact, I haven't. Tell him Ari sent you. You will be happy with them.

Here's my car and all the work they did.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...11746213652111
Appreciate 1
CSBM52721.00
      01-31-2024, 07:57 PM   #3
ryanm3
A Porsche lover
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3CX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
I am extremely picky. American Shine in Sterling, VA did my car and it's almost flawless. There were one or two areas that I needed addressed but they did it on the spot and took care of it. Because they know how OCD i am, they actually removed all of the emblems and tucked the PPF under the emblems, and reinstalled. So you see no breaks in the PPF around the emblem on my bumper, or trunk.
Thanks. I'm not that OCD so I can accept a little bit imperfection, but this one I see right now is a straightforward amateur level, no one should seal the dirty stuff under the film, it looks like they do not know how to prepare the car.

Should I give this horrible place another chance or just ask for a refund? It will be a pain in the ass but they charge me $800 for paint correction already.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 08:13 PM   #4
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

The cut around that roundel is exceptional...ly bad.
Appreciate 3
      02-01-2024, 05:38 PM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
It's not perfect but it's not...too bad. It's... passable. Probably could of spaced it out better.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 06:33 PM   #6
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
+1 i agree that is turrrible.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1298.50
      02-01-2024, 06:47 PM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I see so many PPF hackjobs, it's unreal.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 07:27 PM   #8
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Authorized dealer means nothing. Do you think llumar is sending out field coaches quarterly running reports to make sure quality checks are happening?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 07:40 PM   #9
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

It looks to be a lot of debris under the PPF in those photos. Is it that bad on the rest of your car? Bubbles and etc can be easily remedied. Although the shop is giving you a full refund I assume they’re leaving the PPF on your car? Even if you take it to another shop to get it redone most half decent shops will keep your car a few days. PPF isn’t like applying tints and it’s in and out on the same day. There’s plenty of PPF shops around the DMV. You just need to check out their work in person after getting some referrals. Best way to get a referral is at car shows like cars and coffee where you can see and determine yourself if the install is up to your expectations.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 05:59 PM   #10
ryanm3
A Porsche lover
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3CX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Authorized dealer means nothing. Do you think llumar is sending out field coaches quarterly running reports to make sure quality checks are happening?
I don’t think so anymore. I’m reaching out to someone doing Porsche high end detailing and he will take care of it soon.
Appreciate 1
Nettles761.00
      02-02-2024, 06:16 PM   #11
ryanm3
A Porsche lover
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3CX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
It looks to be a lot of debris under the PPF in those photos. Is it that bad on the rest of your car? Bubbles and etc can be easily remedied. Although the shop is giving you a full refund I assume they’re leaving the PPF on your car? Even if you take it to another shop to get it redone most half decent shops will keep your car a few days. PPF isn’t like applying tints and it’s in and out on the same day. There’s plenty of PPF shops around the DMV. You just need to check out their work in person after getting some referrals. Best way to get a referral is at car shows like cars and coffee where you can see and determine yourself if the install is up to your expectations.
Yeah I will pay more attention in the future, should only read the forum more. The dirt were found at multiple locations, to my understanding they did not wash the car at all.

I live in Northern MD starting to become rural, DC area (of MD) has a lot of shops but I simply couldn’t bother reaching out to them because one just quotes me for $11000 at Rockville, another says we do not offer pricing over the phone and we explicitly charge higher than the market.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 03:04 PM   #12
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
I am extremely picky. American Shine in Sterling, VA did my car and it's almost flawless.

I second that.

I grew up in the area. Move to another state because I wanted to live in a state that did not require front license plate.(no joke)

However, my friends in the area told me nothing but good things about American Shine. Although... they are not cheap. Quality is more important when it comes to PPF. If I ever need PPF on my car, I probably won't mind making a long road trip back to Sterling.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:34 PM   #13
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I’ve had work done by American Shine and it’s been absolutely flawless. I’ve actually been working with Brian for 13 years, long before he opened American Shine. I highly recommend him to anyone looking for paint correction, ceramic coating and/or PPF. His detailing skills are beyond reproach. He’s a great guy to work with, too. Here’s a short video of my M4 Brian had sent me after completing a detailing from a few years ago:
https://youtube.com/shorts/xav5ZZXoO...UArNusPdeRMG8m

Last edited by M3SQRD; 02-04-2024 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 1