BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

04-10-2024, 03:21 PM   #1
Hyko
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: e60 523i

Cool N52B25UL e60 523i 2006

Hello guys.

I am a proud owner of a e60 523i with the N52 engine. That has been in my possesion now for a year or so.

I wanted to create this post both to spread awarness and maybe ask some questions.

My car has now gone 30.000 km / 180.000 miles. When the 6 cylinder started to missfire. The engine started to shake violently and i hear a loud metallic sound from the engine. I did not get my head around it so i started to tear the engine down. I found the problem quite fast. It was the DME? In the intake manifold that is known to break and suck in to the engine. Well it did. half got to the cylinder and the other half got stuck in the valve. Therefore the enigne missfire beacuse there was no compression.

It was an easy fix when i only took a gripper and pulled it out (after i took the intake manifold of). I read that some from other post just pulled it out and countinued driving. I did not agree so i tore down the engine completley to the cylinders to take a look. Still att 30.000 km part for some "dirt" and the engine problem the engine block looked nice. So they where right in my case. Could not se any damage or something bad. Now im not a mechanic. But from my view the engine looked good with all the mechanical parts.

Now i have bought parts for 1.800 pounds to build together the engine and change a lot around it so that does not fail further on.

So my tip if you dont want to tear the engine down. Be sure your DME is still working and does not give any faults that mine did that i ignored.

(if you want to learn cars and start to fix things urself. do it on this engine because i thought it was real easy to take apart and to learn from this engine. The problem will come when i start to assemble it i guess .)

I really love the car and after this i wont sell it ever. Before this problem it ran great and always started without any problems. Even in 17c- after it stood still for a week or two. (started on the second crank). It is a petrol car so maybe not a flex

I have changed the grill to black. Tinted my windows. Changed wheels. So now i am happy about how the car looks.

Now im thinking about what to do with it after the engine is done. Car play? Aux? Sound system? Tune it? Probably nothing big. Because it still is a car with 30.000 km on it so it is still unkown how long it survives. But in my possesion i will try my hardest within reason to keep my baby alive. But we will se.

Does anyone have a tip for something you could upgrade on it that you think it really needs?

Appreciate 0