Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Anyone willing to take a look at a car for me?

06-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #1
Savoir
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Anyone willing to take a look at a car for me?

I know this is probly a long shot, and a huge favor... but i've found a g20 that is out of state that I'd like someone to check out if they are in the area. The car is located in Kingsport, TN. If you would be willing to do this, please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
You might also post this on Bimmerfest. Good luck. People on the forums are often pretty willing to help out.

If you wanna post a link to the car we can take a look online and let you know if we see any red flags.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

06-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir View Post
The car is located in Kingsport, TN. If you would be willing to do this, please let me know.
Are these G20's@Rick Hill BMW the ones in question?

It is unclear how the local markets are like, but the prices(even nicely-optioned) seem a bit high.

2020 330i:
https://www.bmwusa.com/certified-pre...5R7J04L8B14271

2019 330i:
https://www.bmwusa.com/certified-pre...5R1C57KAE81595

To provide another data point, our local dealers(NorCal) may sell brand new 2021 cheaper than used 2019/2020(albeit not as richly optioned).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 11:18 PM   #4
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Are these G20's@Rick Hill BMW the ones in question?

It is unclear how the local markets are like, but the prices(even nicely-optioned) seem a bit high.

2020 330i:
https://www.bmwusa.com/certified-pre...5R7J04L8B14271

2019 330i:
https://www.bmwusa.com/certified-pre...5R1C57KAE81595

To provide another data point, our local dealers(NorCal) may sell brand new 2021 cheaper than used 2019/2020(albeit not as richly optioned).
Wow! The price point of that 2019 compared to the 2020 is pretty striking. The 2019 is a CPO, LOADED with just 3,000 more miles and it’s $5,000 less than the 2020 which appears to pretty much be a stripper and not a CPO. And the 2019 is Portimao Blue! I must admit if I was in the market for a G20 I’d be pretty interested in the 2019.

Last edited by tturedraider; 06-18-2021 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Savoir
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Wow! The price point of that 2019 compared to the 2020 is pretty striking. The 2019 is a CPO, LOADED with just 3,000 more miles and it’s $5,000 less than the 2020 which appears to pretty much be a stripper and not a CPO. And the 2019 is Portimao Blue! I must admit if I was in the market for a G20 I’d be pretty interested in the 2019.

Yes, the 2019 is the one we are looking at.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
iulianm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Yes, because the 2019 one has an accident reported on file and the 2020 hasn't.
That plus 1y less warranty == #depreciation

Used car prices went up in the past months. About two months ago I was looking into trading in my other car (2019 Mazda3) for a 2018/2019 BMW X1; my local dealer had a couple at ~$30k (CPO) but in one week the dealer bumped the price to $32k; now they have two 2018's CPO at $33k.
Even if my trade-in value for the Mazda3 went a up, the BMW went even more (the ~$6k difference I had to put down for the trade-in now is $9k).
Attached Images

Last edited by iulianm; 06-19-2021 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
Savoir
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iulianm View Post
Yes, because the 2019 one has an accident reported on file and the 2020 hasn't.
That plus 1y less warranty == #depreciation

Used car prices went up in the past months. About two months ago I was looking into trading in my other car (2019 Mazda3) for a 2018/2019 BMW X1; my local dealer had a couple at ~$30k (CPO) but in one week the dealer bumped the price to $32k; now they have two 2018's CPO at $33k.
Even if my trade-in value for the Mazda3 went a up, the BMW went even more (the ~$6k difference I had to put down for the trade-in now is $9k).
Yes, the accident is interesting considering it's a CPO vehicle. We are trying to find out more. We did get a copy of the dealer service records for the car, and it states that the car was in an accident and, "both bumpers have been off and airbags also." No really sure how to interpret that.. but with the airbags mentioned.. it doesn't sound great..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #8
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the accident is interesting considering it's a CPO vehicle. We are trying to find out more. We did get a copy of the dealer service records for the car, and it states that the car was in an accident and, "both bumpers have been off and airbags also." No really sure how to interpret that.. but with the airbags mentioned.. it doesn't sound great..
Airbag deployment usually is not a good sign, and given the asking prices I will likely pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:34 AM   #9
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Do your local dealers have ample supplies of 2021 that are hitting EOP? If so there may be steep discounts available on brand new units.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve attached a copy of the CPO inspection guidelines. Crash damage cannot be too severe for the car to qualify for CPO.

Ask for a copy of the CPO inspection checklist. It has a section where previously repaired damage should be described.

I Googled the VIN and got a hit on the www.rickhillimports.com site, which has a link to an AutoCheck report. https://www.rickhillimports.com/used...9115bce4ab.htm That report shows damage to the left front fender area and it indicates the airbags did not deploy. I noticed the wreck occurred right after the car was initially sold and the owner held on to it for a year and a half after.

How far are you from Kingston? Would you have the car shipped or would you travel to pick it up? I recommend traveling to pick it up in person. That way you put your own eyes on the car before you take delivery and if it’s not what you were expecting you have the option to call off the deal.

From the photos it appears that whatever damage was incurred was repaired really well.

fyi - BMW Financial Services is offering 0.9% for 36 months or 1.9% for 48 - 60 months on 2019 CPOs. They’re also offering a 90 day deferment on the first payment. The offer is until the end of June.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW CPO inspection guidelines.pdf (327.0 KB, 792 views)

06-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #11
iulianm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Quote:
Do your local dealers have ample supplies of 2021 that are hitting EOP? If so there may be steep discounts available on brand new units.
They only have 2 x BMW X1 but 40 x 330i.
The X1 that they have are priced at $42k & $46k with an average discount of $1.5k in my area.
The other dealer has 3 x X1 between $43k & 46k.

The cheapest 330i they have on inventory is $45k.

(BMW of Bellevue & BMW of Seattle)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #12
Savoir
Rep

Quote:
I’ve attached a copy of the CPO inspection guidelines. Crash damage cannot be too severe for the car to qualify for CPO.

Ask for a copy of the CPO inspection checklist. It has a section where previously repaired damage should be described.

I Googled the VIN and got a hit on the www.rickhillimports.com site, which has a link to an AutoCheck report. https://www.rickhillimports.com/used...9115bce4ab.htm That report shows damage to the left front fender area and it indicates the airbags did not deploy. I noticed the wreck occurred right after the car was initially sold and the owner held on to it for a year and a half after.

How far are you from Kingston? Would you have the car shipped or would you travel to pick it up? I recommend traveling to pick it up in person. That way you put your own eyes on the car before you take delivery and if it’s not what you were expecting you have the option to call off the deal.

From the photos it appears that whatever damage was incurred was repaired really well.

fyi - BMW Financial Services is offering 0.9% for 36 months or 1.9% for 48 - 60 months on 2019 CPOs. They’re also offering a 90 day deferment on the first payment. The offer is until the end of June.

I agree with all that. But the shop that fixed the car told the BMW service center that both front and rear bumpers were off. So, there is already a contradiction between that and the autocheck saying only minor left front damage.

I spoke with a guy at the dealer today, and he's going to try to get in touch with the previous owner to find out more info. The body shop is not open on the weekend, or i'd be trying to call them. I'll see if the dealer can give a copy of the CPO checklist as well.. I'm 6 hours away from the dealer, so shipping would be much more convenient and cost effective, but more risky.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #13
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They only have 2 x BMW X1 but 40 x 330i.
The X1 that they have are priced at $42k & $46k with an average discount of $1.5k in my area.
The other dealer has 3 x X1 between $43k & 46k.

The cheapest 330i they have on inventory is $45k.

(BMW of Bellevue & BMW of Seattle)
Ah those 2 dealers are infamous for not passing incentives to customers.

Our local dealers have 40-70 2021 330i's on the lots and should sell MSRP $45k 330i for around $7k+ off.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      06-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I spoke with a guy at the dealer today, and he's going to try to get in touch with the previous owner to find out more info. The body shop is not open on the weekend, or i'd be trying to call them. I'll see if the dealer can give a copy of the CPO checklist as well.. I'm 6 hours away from the dealer, so shipping would be much more convenient and cost effective, but more risky.
There is a police report# listed on the autocheck report, so one option is to request a copy.

I do wonder even with contract signed online and payment made, can delivery be still refused when the shipped car arrives?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #15
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I do wonder even with contract signed online and payment made, can delivery be still refused when the shipped car arrives?
The odds of that are nil. It’s a virtual certainty the dealer will overnight the contract and require original signatures. Once the vehicle is shipped the dealer will not take anymore responsibility. In fact, if the car was damaged during transport it would be between the OP and the transport company. Personally, I would definitely make the trip to pick up the car in person.

06-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #16
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The odds of that are nil. It’s a virtual certainty the dealer will overnight the contract and require original signatures. Once the vehicle is shipped the dealer will not take anymore responsibility. In fact, if the car was damaged during transport it would be between the OP and the transport company. Personally, I would definitely make the trip to pick up the car in person.
Tesla is partially better than that, namely, owners have up to 24 hours to reject delivery once car is dropped off. In fact a friend did reject the delivered Y as it had 3 tones of white(bumper, side doors, rest of car)!

However that only applies to exterior defects as the delivered car is locked, and owners can only unlock to inspect interior after accepting delivery on phone app ....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #17
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree with all that. But the shop that fixed the car told the BMW service center that both front and rear bumpers were off. So, there is already a contradiction between that and the autocheck saying only minor left front damage.

Have you had any luck getting additional information on the damage and the repair?

06-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #18
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Any update?

06-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #19
Savoir
Rep

Quote:
Have you had any luck getting additional information on the damage and the repair?
No... So we called the body shop that did the repair work on the car, and they said there were several repairs performed, but that they could not disclose what they were since we were not the owners of the vehicle. We then called the dealership and let them know we had been in contact with the body shop, and would like them to get the repair details so we could make a decision on the car..... They then ghosted us by not returning emails or voicemails.

At that point we decided to look elsewhere. I have no idea how this car was certified as CPO given there seems to have been repairs beyond a little fender bender... Given the way they handled the situation, I can't help but have the opinion that the dealership may be a little shady. What a waste of time...

Last edited by Savoir; 06-30-2021 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #20
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No... So we called the body shop that did the repair work on the car, and they said there were several repairs performed, but that they could not disclose what they were since we were not the owners of the vehicle. We then called the dealership and let them know we had been in contact with the body shop, and would like them to get the repair details so we could make a decision on the car..... They then ghosted us by not returning emails or voicemails.

At that point we decided to look elsewhere. I have no idea how this car was certified as CPO given there seems to have been repairs beyond a little fender bender... Given the way they handled the situation, I can't help but have the opinion that the dealership may be a little shady. What a waste of time...
Thanks for the updates, it probably is prudent to walk away since the history is uncertain.

Does ur local dealer have plenty of new 2021 330i inventory, e.g. 40+? If so u may be able to get decent EOP discount on those with minimal worries of past histories.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #21
Savoir
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the updates, it probably is prudent to walk away since the history is uncertain.

Does ur local dealer have plenty of new 2021 330i inventory, e.g. 40+? If so u may be able to get decent EOP discount on those with minimal worries of past histories.
I wish they did. We've been using our local BMW dealer to obtain service histories on vehicles we've been interested in. They flat out told us that if we find a car with the options we want to jump on it as they have very low inventory. We've come across a few more 2019-20s, but they are out of state as well, and it seems prices have gone up again putting these cars in the 40-44k range, which is damn near m340i territory.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #22
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I wish they did. We've been using our local BMW dealer to obtain service histories on vehicles we've been interested in. They flat out told us that if we find a car with the options we want to jump on it as they have very low inventory. We've come across a few more 2019-20s, but they are out of state as well, and it seems prices have gone up again putting these cars in the 40-44k range, which is damn near m340i territory.
Yeah BMWNA and the big auto chains are aggregating 2021 330i inventories at selected volume dealers to move metal at discounts, but the ones with just a few units won't deal.
Appreciate 0