BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #23
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Electric cars are cool, but I'm not quite ready to buy just yet.

We witnessed an unforeseen problem with electrics last year when a big brush fire closed I5, resulting in all traffic being diverted to the 101 freeway. In short, our area was overwhelmed with electrics badly needing a charge, leaving many electric drivers stranded for hours. I mean, we ran out of charging stations and then some. The lines were horribly long at Costco and other free charging stations. Some of the drivers that were interviewed admitted that they never anticipated this situation.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      06-17-2021, 06:05 PM   #24
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
We have two battery EV's, the race car, and the Mighty Dodge in our driveway. In a bug-out situation, the Mighty Dodge can make it from here in NY State to Indianapolis or Charlotte on one tank of diesel fuel. It is also our road trip vehicle, and tows the enclosed race car hauler.

For commuting or running errands, the two EV's are the vehicles of choice. I'll take the Mighty Dodge over the i3 when commuting in the snow/ice though, because it's 4WD and has snow tires on it year-round.....
      06-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #25
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
We have two battery EV's, the race car, and the Mighty Dodge in our driveway. In a bug-out situation, the Mighty Dodge can make it from here in NY State to Indianapolis or Charlotte on one tank of diesel fuel. It is also our road trip vehicle, and tows the enclosed race car hauler.

For commuting or running errands, the two EV's are the vehicles of choice. I'll take the Mighty Dodge over the i3 when commuting in the snow/ice though, because it's 4WD and has snow tires on it year-round.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post

My 2003 dodge Dakota has 208k, looks almost new, still going strong. lol. I got an i3 2 weeks ago just to ride to work in.as far as finding a charge, always keep the 120v receptacle charger in the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614882.00
      06-17-2021, 07:17 PM   #26
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
My 2003 dodge Dakota has 208k, looks almost new, still going strong. lol. I got an i3 2 weeks ago just to ride to work in.as far as finding a charge, always keep the 120v receptacle charger in the vehicle.
Before the Mighty Dodge came along, my daily driver was a 1993 Dakota, V6, 4WD, manual gearbox. After the second trip to a local welder to replace rusted-out pieces of the frame, he told us that it was time to let it go because he couldn't weld any more patches onto it. It still ran fine with nearly 300,000 miles on the clock, and someone bought it for an engine and drive train transplant.

My DW picked up a 2007 Dakota after that, also a V6, 4WD, 6-speed manual. She put 262K on the odometer doing field work for two different utility company's contractors. She ultimately sold it running, and picked up her Kia Niro BEV because she got an office job. The Dakota was costing her $20/day in gasoline to commute to the office job, whereas the Niro was only using $3.25/day in electricity...and free if she could find an open charger at a busy location next to her office.

My much shorter commute is only $3.25/day in diesel to take the Ram/Cummins, $3.50/day in super unleaded to take the race car, and $0.55/day to take the i3. The fact that the diesel doesn't make any heat in the winter until I'm pulling into work and the i3's programmable departure times have the cabin set to short sleeve temps when I walk out the door every day no matter the season is just icing on the i3's cake.....
cmyx6go15560.00