BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Ltr

Finally arrived!!!

yay... finally took delivery of my car this morning.

Too bad it's pissing down rain here in Brissie atm. Can't take any decent pics, I've been restricted to carparks and the garage lol

Car is a 120d Msport, had 9km on it this morning when i picked it up. I asked the guy if i need to run it in or anything, and he said not really, just as long as I dont drive it like a race car, it should be ok. He suggest try to stay around the 4k rpm mark, as this is around where the torque drops off anyway.... woops... too late, i've already redlined it twice in sport shift mode

I also asked about tyre pressure and he suggested that I keep the tyres at 40psi, as the 36 is too low for our crappy roads... what do you think?

surprisingly though, the 18" runflats at 40psi feel better than the 17s on my mini at 36:iono: go figure...

anyways, here are some pics, for those interested:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...817#post189817
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

congratulations mate! within reason, he is right in that the lower the pressure the more likely you are to have premature tread wear. by the way, was yours on the tarifa too?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
congratulations mate! within reason, he is right in that the lower the pressure the more likely you are to have premature tread wear. by the way, was yours on the tarifa too?
I found that on the mini it's dangerous to drive with the tyres at 40psi, as there appears to be much less traction, with the stock dunlop runflats anyway.

From the 40kms of driving i've done so far, I can already tell these RE50s are heaps better in terms of traction, and ride quality. Are they the same as ones used on the 3 series?

I don't believe my car was on the tarifia, i think it was on the kiribati chief. It took them just over 2 weeks to get it from the port in brisbane to the dealer. Apparently there was also some issue with no being able to get trucks or something as well. I think that may have been becaue of the LCT increase, as I was originally due to take delivery on the 30th.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Congratulations! Enjoy the fantastic economy your car gives.... handy with today's fuel prices (even though diesel is heading towards $2/litre)...

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
Congratulations! Enjoy the fantastic economy your car gives.... handy with today's fuel prices (even though diesel is heading towards $2/litre)...
lol... just hope it doesn't workout to be a false economy. First tank, and it says i'll get about 650kms out of the tank (though i'm told it will improve over time?). When i put my foot on the accelerator though, usage jumps upto 20L/100km :eyebulge:
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Congrats mate...20L/100 km?? WTF?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #7
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Congrats mate...20L/100 km?? WTF?

hahah yeah, i dunno :iono:

just saw 39L/100km on the way back home, though it was only for a few seconds
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
don't worry about the instantaneous reading. its the average that matters.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

Hi congrads
A great car and great fuel economy. If you feel the need to 'enhance' the performance a bit along with the fuel economy, get in contact with 'DP Chip' http://www.dpchip.com/index.html They are Diesel power experts and would raise the power to around 150kw and torque up to near 400nm's. It would realy go then!
Fuel economy should drop by about 0.5 - 1.0lt/100km as long as your not hammering the firewall all the time.
Check the web site out, pretty good. When you get on it go to 'vehicle list' and you will track your car down.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep 135 View Post
Hi congrads
A great car and great fuel economy. If you feel the need to 'enhance' the performance a bit along with the fuel economy, get in contact with 'DP Chip' http://www.dpchip.com/index.html They are Diesel power experts and would raise the power to around 150kw and torque up to near 400nm's. It would realy go then!
Fuel economy should drop by about 0.5 - 1.0lt/100km as long as your not hammering the firewall all the time.
Check the web site out, pretty good. When you get on it go to 'vehicle list' and you will track your car down.
Chris.

I've been looking at one of those spider boxes, similar thing i guess.

http://dieseltuner.com.au/

I guess the advantage is that they have a shop down the Gold Coast, so I could just drive down then, install it, then drive back :thumbup:

I've heard nothing but good things about these boxes, and 411nm torque sounds pretty good too!!

btw, I'm still on my first tank of diesel too. Done about 600km and trip computer says I have about 120-140kms left (depending on whether or not i'm hammering it ) Hoping I can eventually get about 850kms per tank once it's run in a bit :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I contacted those dpchip ppl and they reckon the chip costs $1300; I can get a spider box shipped from the uk to my door for $840... hmmm

Anybody had experience with either/both?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 02:32 AM   #12
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

What sort of warranty do you get with either?
If something (does) go wrong who is going to be easier to chase? Not that I think would, but piece of mind when your about to muck around with 50+ grand of car.
Both have obviously mucked around with alot of cars so have built up lots of credibility.
Some tuners dont just enhance max power but also throttle sensitivity (for smoother driving), mid range responce, half throttle responce, auto gear shifts, fuel economy and others. Ask "why is yours better than the compeditors".
These could be some helpful questions for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 02:43 AM   #13
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep 135 View Post
What sort of warranty do you get with either?
If something (does) go wrong who is going to be easier to chase? Not that I think would, but piece of mind when your about to muck around with 50+ grand of car.
Both have obviously mucked around with alot of cars so have built up lots of credibility.
Some tuners dont just enhance max power but also throttle sensitivity (for smoother driving), mid range responce, half throttle responce, auto gear shifts, fuel economy and others. Ask "why is yours better than the compeditors".
These could be some helpful questions for you.
I believe DP have some new engine warranty thing. They claim that not 1 fault has ever been caused by their chips. They appear to make chips for tractors, and boats as well. Apparently, if there's a problem and the manufacturer rejects a warranty claim, they will send an assessor and investigate the cause of the problem.

I think spider also offer a similar warranty, but it's an additional cost... not exactly sure how much.

From what I've read so far, all these chips appear to do is modify fuel timing and mixture ratios to achieve the increased torque/power... so i'm not sure if there any difference between them. The only difference I can see is that DP allow you to load up different mappings via a built in USB port and probably some proprietry software.
Appreciate 0