Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-22-2024, 05:24 AM   #1
paulh@evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All BMW models
Location: Unit 32 Sundon Industrial Estate Dencora Way Luton Bedfordshire LU3 3HP

Arrow EVOLVE | Fixing the ride on the i3

We have developed these dampers in conjunction with Bilstein UK over a period of 2 years on our BMW i3s. We found the car quite unsettled on undulating roads and wanted to improve primarily the ride comfort and secondary the handling.

We worked with Bilstein on the valving to provide more control, whilst improving the handling characteristics.

These dampers can be used with either OEM springs or any lowering springs on the market. We have also developed our own springs which lower the car 25mm on the i3 and 15mm on the i3s.

If you want just comfort/handling, you can just install the dampers. If you want improved comfort/handling and improved aesthetics, install the dampers with our springs.

We run these dampers our own demo BMW i3s and the ride and handling characteristics are the best we've tested on this platform.

UK Site: Link to Evolve Shock Absorbers
UK Site: Link to Evolve Lowering Springs

USA Site: Link to Evolve Shock Absorbers
USA Site: Link to Evolve Lowering Springs
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 05:17 AM   #2
paulh@evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Location: Unit 32 Sundon Industrial Estate Dencora Way Luton Bedfordshire LU3 3HP

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 09:22 AM   #3
Windshadow
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 MINI Cooper S

This may be a dumb question but does not lowering a car, aka reducing ride height, cause a worse ride when you hit a pothole or cause you to scrape when entering places like parking structures due to reduced entry and departure angles?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:37 AM   #4
paulh@evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshadow View Post
This may be a dumb question but does not lowering a car, aka reducing ride height, cause a worse ride when you hit a pothole or cause you to scrape when entering places like parking structures due to reduced entry and departure angles?
The issue primarily with the i3/s is the dampers. That's what causes the issue with the ride and what we wanted to fix immediately.

We also wanted to offer lowering spring options. If you were to just fit lowering springs, the ride quality over bumps at least, would feel sportier. It would feel tighter, and round covers you wouldn't have as much lean etc which improves the sportiness feel. But you'd still be stuck with the bad quality, standard dampers.

So that's why in our opinion, replacing the dampers is almost a must. With those there is no sacrifice, you get a better ride quality all around, better bump absorption etc and the ride height remains the same.

If you wanted a sportier look and feel, then lowering it does that. But when combined with the new, high quality dampers, you don't sacrifice too much on the ride quality itself (because you replaced the dampers with a much higher quality item).

Regards to lowering it and parking... It wouldn't be low enough to effect that, most are built with at least sports car in mind, so even lowered the i3 doesn't get that low.

I hope that answers the questions
Appreciate 0