BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #89
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Nope, the door was unlocked... again.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #90
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Can you flood the garage for a night and let it freeze and leave the video tapes running please?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #91
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
Nope, the door was unlocked... again.
What kind of camera did you buy?

Have you tried to contact the person who owns the apartment he rents and telling them what is going on? Maybe getting a call from his landlord telling him to cut it out might help.
      01-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #92
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
What kind of camera did you buy?

Have you tried to contact the person who owns the apartment he rents and telling them what is going on? Maybe getting a call from his landlord telling him to cut it out might help.
First off, yes I did inform his landlord and even asked him if he spoke to him yet which he replied that he's been busy but that he will this weekend.

With the camera I ended up getting a Foscam FI8918W. It was the only camera that had a wide angle lens, night vision, motion sensor, built-in wireless and lets you remotely pan and tilt it. It's not the most intuitive camera to setup but at $90 shipped it was the cheapest one I could find that pretty much did everything I wanted. Being that I'm a Network Engineer I knew it would be simple for me to get it up and running. If you're not someone who's technical this camera is not for you.

It's in my garage connecting wirelessly to my home network. I set it up so once the motion sensor is triggered it sends me an email with several snap shots attached and also starts recording video that gets saved directly to my computer. The camera automatically adjust for the amount of light or lack thereof with its night vision. And to boot it was 0°F this morning and is currently 7'F outside and this thing is still running like a trooper, no issues at all.

Only two complaints I have is the picture is not all that great and tends to blur a bit in the dark but if you have good lighting the picture is actually really impressive without any blurring. Other than that it would have been nice if it had zoom too.

Either way I was so happy with it I ordered a second one and am going to mount them both out of reach up top in the rafters of my garages roof as my little sentinels, watching over my car and making sure if anyone gets near her they will pay dearly.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #93
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Well... he certainly isn't very fashion conscious.

When you get a sec shoot a still from the other direction so that we can see how "stealth" the install is... From the look of the pics I can't believe that he hasn't seen the camera, though it doesn't seem to be the most observant person in the world missing the huge sign and all.

Ever stop to think that he doesn't lock it because the landlord didn't give him a key? Food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #94
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Well... he certainly isn't very fashion conscious.
know how I know you're gay?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #95
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Feyd I think that dude is a very fashion conscious....look at those jeans...they compliment that sweater very nicely...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #96
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Ever stop to think that he doesn't lock it because the landlord didn't give him a key? Food for thought.
The guy has a key because Tag keeps locking the door and the moron has to unlock it again to get inside.
      01-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #97
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Thumbs down

Buy a house.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #98
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
Buy a house.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #99
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
know how I know you're gay?
how?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #100
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
I'm confused.

Can any random person off the street waltz right into the garage, or do you need a dinger/code to get in to the garage?

Once in the garage, the door that is being left unlocked, where does it lead?
      01-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #101
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Oh looks like it leads outside?

You're obsessed, just chill out. Plus, if you piss this guy off, then he's definitely more likely to "take revenge" on you - and he might have someone else do it, or disguise himself, especially if he spots your camera. They don't sound like the most decent & upstanding people, so pick your battles.

You knew it was shared parking when you moved in, right? You knew other people would have access to the space? I absolutely wouldn't keep anything of value (besides the car) in a shared (and basically public) space to begin with.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned and gained knowledge for when you buy your next place - a house.

Maybe see if you can switch sides, doesn't offer any added security, but at least people won't be walking into your area every time they get home.
      01-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #102
Tag
this is the way
Rep

First off, I'm really please with my quick sketch here. That said I will not be intimidated by a euro trash dressing douche. He doesn't know there's a camera in there and I plan on keeping it that way. I don't see how I'm being obsessive at all, just looking for some common courtesy. What I'm asking for is simple, LOCK THE FUCKING DOOR! And lets forget about the valuables in the garage for a second, I just don't like the fact that anyone can enter my UNLOCKED garage where my new car that is 3 months old is sitting. Some battles you don't pick, they pick you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #103
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Why would he damage your car? I dont really get that just go up to him and be like 'I know its you who's not locking the door... would you kindly start locking it? I'm worried about my car / other valuables in the garage.'

If he is anything but compliant well then.... he might have some serious issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #104
HoustonGuy
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

^what he said.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #105
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Buy cinder blocks and cement. Close off the rest of the dividing wall and change the lock. Problem solved. If he wants to get in the garage his can use his remote.
      01-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #106
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Confrontation...

I finally got a chance to confront the culprit. Knocked on his door and he opened it and greeted me with a "yeah, what" with minimal eye contact. Not thrown back by his shitty attitude and clothes he got from the thrift store I introduced myself, told him I live above him and engaged in conversation about the back garage door being left unlocked. The douche interrupts me and goes, "yeah, I saw your sign". Then he says his garage door opener wasn't working. I didn't bother asking him if he even tried replacing the battery for it. Instead I asked why he wasn't using the keypad that's outside the front of the garage and he replied "it works sporadically man and I can't be messin' with it outside while I'm freezing".

Not getting into it with him about why he simply cannot lock the door behind him I offered a solution. I took a step back, sized him up and said "listen here fucker, you better start locking the fucking door or so help me God I will crack your fucking skull with my Louisville Slugger and toss you into a deep pile of snow!". Ok, I didn't really say that. I said "well I can help you out, I have a spare key fob I can give you". I told him I would grab it and be right back. I got back and asked if he wanted I could help him program it right now since I had some time and that it would take all of 2 minutes. His reply, "yeah fuck it, let's do it".

We went out to the garage, I programmed the fob, gave it to him and was like "give it a try". He pressed the button, door opened and a huge smile light across his douchey face and he replied "you have no idea how much easier you just made my life." In my head I replied, "I know, because stupid people live the hardest lives, they have to pay for all their mistakes."

That said I hope this resolves my issue with the door being left unlocked. Whether he stops using the door or not remains to be seen. I don't regret getting the camera, it helped me pin point who the culprit was. The camera however is still there, waiting, watching, relentlessly looking over my car and the garage. Camera #2 is on its way as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #107
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

WOOOO
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #108
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

nice! Glad it worked out man. that guy sounds like a real low life asshole.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #109
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
I live in a condo and my garage space is shared. It's two garages joined together with a partition in the middle. Each side has two spots. I own one entire side of the garage and park in the middle. Anyway there's a common back door entrance which just so happens to be on my side of the garage. One of the neighbors keeps using it, don't know which one of the two it could be. This irritates me because its a tight squeeze to walk around my car and I'm worried they might scratch my car or possible damage it hauling stuff.

The real part that ticks me off is this SOB whichever neighbor it might be never locks the back door. I come out to my car everyday only to see the door unlocked. I have items of value and of course my car in there. I put up a sign on door the 3 days ago that says "PLEASE LOCK THE DOOR BEHIND YOU". Nothing has changed, they still leave the door unlocked.

What are my options? I don't even know which ahole it is but I'm starting to have thoughts of busting up the lock altogether so they can't get in through the back door.
since they are your neighbors, I would be very careful not to piss them off. doing so will only make your life more miserable than what you have now.

If the automatic door opening doesn't work, I will politely talk to both of your neighbors about your concern, and ask them to help out. If you don't mind to "invest" a few pennies on your car, take them out for a beer. If they are good neighbors, I am sure they will alleviate your concerns.

Remember, sugar always works better than vinegar.
      01-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #110
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Cool. You guys gonna make out now?
Appreciate 0