BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #23
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
This may no longer be a side effect due to advancements, but I also heard that at night time, you may see halos around lights. Any truth to this?

I've also heard that you'll need reading glasses sooner when you get older.
I had the procedure done on me in 2005. At that time the surface of the cornea being reshaped was 9mm wide. If your pupil is wider than 9mm then an halo effect is created due to the diffraction of light between the reshaped cornea and the remaining surface of the cornea within the full area covered by the pupil.

As for the reading glasses the procedure has no effect on it according to my doctors.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #24
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Best money I've ever spent. I went with one of the first (if not the first) doctors to do it. Spent 4500 (500 off w/ referral or insurance). I have 20/15 vision and it hasn't changed.

If it makes you feel any better, my surgery was the morning after I saw a 20/20 ABC special on LASIK. This woman's surgery failed and she stated that her eyes will hurt the rest of her life... I think she was tearing uncontrollably too.
      11-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

^ lol i don't think that makes anyone considering lasik feel better.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #26
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
People who say that are idiots. I've had both eyes done 5 years ago and it's a 10 minutes procedure with no smell. You have to wear sunglasses for roughly 24 hours and cannot take a shower for about four days, only bath. You need some Visine for about a month to keep your eyes wet and that's it.
I did not smell anything either, but I will say that my doctor said I MIGHT smell something, so this is not a totally bogus statement. However, the smell is NOT your eyes burning, but gasses being released from the machine.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #27
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
anyone done this? im going in on friday for a consultation. i'm not thrilled about being awake while they use knifes and lasers on my eyes.

can i get drunk as shit before i go? or pop 2 xanax or something? a little sedation never hurt anyone....

thoughts? suggestions? experiences?

thanks!
Quote:

im having these guys do it if and ONLY if they give me some good drugs.

http://www.mleye.com/

ill let you know if im still alive by then.
Quote:
my contacts just fell out. im doing this. fuck being awake, ill get wasted before i go.
Quote:
sedation/mild sedation is still a must for me.

i have a fear of doctors. i shake like a dog.
Quote:
is xanax an option? if they hand me two of those they can cut my left foot off and i won't mind.

Like we get it dude, you want a sedative.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #28
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Like we get it dude, you want a sedative.
rranks rrraggy!!

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #29
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I dont feel like reading any of this. But here are some quick tips. Find out whether you are getting lasIK or lasEk, as they are different procedures. Find out whether your doctor, if getting lasik, uses a microkeratome or a femtosecond laser to make the flap. Theres nothing wrong with the microkeratome, but the laser is newer technology. The technology in the exemer lasers used to do the actual surgery which ablate the cells in your corneal stroma is pretty nifty. Tracks small eye movements, keeps you steady, works quickly, etc. If you have dry eye, lasik is contraindicated as it tends to exacerbate dry eye. I would suggest you try some prescription treatments such as Restasis before getting lasik. Anything else?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #30
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

They'l give you a mild sedative. But nothing thats going to knock you out.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #31
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
rranks rrraggy!!

lol

All his posts are the same, I couldn't get over it!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #32
timn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Best thing I ever did. Burning eyeballs smells like burning hair, to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #33
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn View Post
Best thing I ever did. Burning eyeballs smells like burning hair, to me.
more like burning skin, as its all different types and arrangements of collagen.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #34
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I always tell everyone that having LASIK was the best money I ever spent. It is a strange sensation but it doesn't hurt or anything. If you are used to wearing contacts the next couple of days isn't that bad either. You just have to sleep a lot. I was 20/400 and now I am at least 20/20 and I had it about 10 years ago.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #35
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Just be sure you are a candidate. My distance vision is very good. My reading vision is terrible. Not a good candidate. Tried contacts, mono-contacts, bi-focal contacts. Nothing worked. Reading glasses for me. Hate them.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #36
Mindgame
Poke Her Face
Rep
Drives: 09 135I

Did this ... hmm ... 5 years ago or so?

Best money spent, hands down. There are two ways of doing, don't remember the specifics but one allows you to see clearly immediately but does not ever fully heal (can get irritated by a poke in the eye, for instance) and one which takes a couple weeks to gain the full sight, but heals completely. I chose the latter. The surgery itself was nothing...they put some numbing drops in your eyes...it's really awkward to have your eye open while they cut/use the lazer...they put a vial on your eye and fill it with some kind of saline/alcohol solution. Could NOT smell the laser...but it made funny popping sounds. Surgery was over in about 5 minutes. Super quick.

Recovery on the other hand was kind of a pain in the ass. had to wear clear eye protector things for a week or two, constantly put drops in them and in the morning they were damn near glued shut (your eye gets really mucus-like...best way I can explain it...a lot like when you get pink eye.)

It's been great ever sense..vision is a number better than 20/20 (haven't been to the eye doc in a bit, don't remember the exacts)

Though I do find that my vision tends to get a little worse at night or when i'm tired. If I wet them it seems to help.

The end
      11-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #37
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgame View Post
Did this ... hmm ... 5 years ago or so?

Best money spent, hands down. There are two ways of doing, don't remember the specifics but one allows you to see clearly immediately but does not ever fully heal (can get irritated by a poke in the eye, for instance) and one which takes a couple weeks to gain the full sight, but heals completely. I chose the latter. The surgery itself was nothing...they put some numbing drops in your eyes...it's really awkward to have your eye open while they cut/use the lazer...they put a vial on your eye and fill it with some kind of saline/alcohol solution. Could NOT smell the laser...but it made funny popping sounds. Surgery was over in about 5 minutes. Super quick.

Recovery on the other hand was kind of a pain in the ass. had to wear clear eye protector things for a week or two, constantly put drops in them and in the morning they were damn near glued shut (your eye gets really mucus-like...best way I can explain it...a lot like when you get pink eye.)

It's been great ever sense..vision is a number better than 20/20 (haven't been to the eye doc in a bit, don't remember the exacts)

Though I do find that my vision tends to get a little worse at night or when i'm tired. If I wet them it seems to help.

The end
What you had was called LASEK. The difference is that they do not create a flap, they use a dilute alcohol solution to dissolve your epithelium and remove it completely vs the flap technique. Its more painful and takes longer to heal. It does create a stronger adhesion between your corneal epithelium and bowmans anterior basement membrane. This surgery is generally indicated in people with thinner corneas and who are at risk of eye injuries after surgery, which can severely screw up the flap.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #38
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
rranks rrraggy!!

lol

All his posts are the same, I couldn't get over it!
Get over it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #39
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
What you had was called LASEK. The difference is that they do not create a flap, they use a dilute alcohol solution to dissolve your epithelium and remove it completely vs the flap technique. Its more painful and takes longer to heal. It does create a stronger adhesion between your corneal epithelium and bowmans anterior basement membrane. This surgery is generally indicated in people with thinner corneas and who are at risk of eye injuries after surgery, which can severely screw up the flap.
Is LASEK different than PRK?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #40
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Is LASEK different than PRK?
Yes.

LASEK loosens the epithelium with dilute, rolls back the epithelium, does the treatment, and replaces the flap. They use a bandage contact lens.

With PRK, they actually remove the epithelium and then use a bandage CL for healing purposes. Its more painful, takes longer to heal, and requires you to be on medications for longer.

The advantages of PRK would be that because no flap is created, you are left with a ticker stroma, and a thicker overall cornea at the end. You also strengthen the adhesion of your epithelium.

Some patients who aren't candidates for lasik (due to thin cornea, predisposition to trauma, etc) will be candidates for PRK.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #41
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

Just remember, when they ask you if you are okay during the surgery to say "yes" or "no" instead of nodding your head.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #42
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
my wife and brother both got it. no complaints from either except that you'll use drops more frequently.

did they show you the machine that sucks your eyeballs out of their sockets right before the procedure?
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #43
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
my appointment is on friday. ill find out more info then. i think ill bring my spy camera and post photos of what's in the doctors office hehe
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 07:38 AM   #44
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

I would do the surgery, but only if instead of shooting lasers into my eyes, it would give me the ability to shoot them out. Pew Pew. For real though, how long does the effect of this surgery stay on? 5 years? 10?
Appreciate 0