BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-31-2018, 03:57 PM   #23
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Apple does not, and has never, innovated. What Apple excels at is taking the innovations of others and making them highly accessible in a very user friendly way. Do not confuse the two.
Invention and innovation are two totally different things. Do not confuse the two.

Does Apple invent? No. But they do innovate. They take current or unused technologies and make them actually meaningful. What they lack in invention they make up for in vision.

Xerox had no idea what to do with a monitor and mouse. Apple takes those technologies and reinvents and defines how we use the modern PC desktop.

Touchscreens have existed for ages. Yet at a time where all smartphones had dedicated keyboards, Apple takes the idea of touchscreens + multi-touch and redefines how we use the modern smartphone.

Remember Microsoft Kinect? Apple buys the company/rights, miniaturizes it, and creates FaceID. It's barely been a year and yet we already have different manufacturers attempt at similar biometric authentication while using that same "notch" design.

Again, no invention, but certainly innovative.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 2
BayMoWe3351175.50
jmg18708.00
      05-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #24
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Invention and innovation are two totally different things. Do not confuse the two.

Does Apple invent? No. But they do innovate. They take current or unused technologies and make them actually meaningful. What they lack in invention they make up for in vision.

Xerox had no idea what to do with a monitor and mouse. Apple takes those technologies and reinvents and defines how we use the modern PC desktop.

Touchscreens have existed for ages. Yet at a time where all smartphones had dedicated keyboards, Apple takes the idea of touchscreens + multi-touch and redefines how we use the modern smartphone.

Remember Microsoft Kinect? Apple buys the company/rights, miniaturizes it, and creates FaceID. It's barely been a year and yet we already have different manufacturers attempt at similar biometric authentication while using that same "notch" design.

Again, no invention, but certainly innovative.
Exactly. It's like saying Apple's iPhone wasn't innovative because they didn't invent silicon chips or capacitive touch technology.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:12 PM   #25
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
The previous and current other facial recognition techs (besides FaceID) are garbage and aren't even secure enough to authenticate payment. You think the S8 was innovative by implementing something that couldn't even authenticate their own Samsung Pay? They threw out a half-baked "feature" and got passed by Apple.

Apple's implementation of no bezels with the notch for the 3D sensing camera, IR blaster and dot projector was brand new. Still, no one else has eliminated the bottom bezel with the display controller under a folded screen, including this iPhone X copy.

Never innovated? Their software for the original iPhone was the best innovation for mobile tech ever and has made them the most valuable and most profitable company in the world.
You entirely miss the point. I never said Apple didn't improve on the technical innovations of others; in fact, I noted that's where they excel ... making those innovations accessible. But, they do not innovate. That have invented absolutely nothing in their history. Not the PC, not the mouse, not the smartphone, not biometrics as security on smartphones, not portable digital music players, not touch screen tablets, etc.

You love your iDevices. I have no issue with that. But, that doesn't mean that they are something they're not.
Appreciate 1
stooker2752.50
      05-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #26
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You entirely miss the point. I never said Apple didn't improve on the technical innovations of others; in fact, I noted that's where they excel ... making those innovations accessible. But, they do not innovate. That have invented absolutely nothing in their history. Not the PC, not the mouse, not the smartphone, not biometrics as security on smartphones, not portable digital music players, not touch screen tablets, etc.

You love your iDevices. I have no issue with that. But, that doesn't mean that they are something they're not.
That is innovation. You're talking about invention.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:39 PM   #27
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That is innovation. You're talking about invention.
It's not innovation because there's nothing innovative about taking someone else's idea and using it in the same fashion, albeit arguably in a more advanced or more user friendly manner. Innovation is a new idea or method or device and Apple does precious little of that.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #28
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's not innovation because there's nothing innovative about taking someone else's idea and using it in the same fashion, albeit arguably in a more advanced or more user friendly manner. Innovation is a new idea or method or device and Apple does precious little of that.
Wrong.
Appreciate 1
jmg18708.00
      05-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #29
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
I guess by that stated point of view, either has Samsung, LG, Google (in reference to mobile)

And I’d argue that Apple does innovate
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #30
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wrong.
The final retort of an iLemming ...

You started this by cherry picking a phone as proof that the world copies St. Apple which is a fallacy. I wasn't even being critical of Apple, simply pointed out that they are not innovators and that they are often credited for innovations that they adopted from others. Doesn't matter that you don't agree, the facts are the facts. You're obviously happy being an Apple customer ... why isn't that just good enough for you? Why do you need validation from us?
Appreciate 1
stooker2752.50
      05-31-2018, 05:42 PM   #31
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
Apple couldn't figure out how to cleanly integrate a finger print reader so they ditched it for an inferior security setup. Oh so innovative.

Finger print reader under the glass, your move Apple.
face recognition is more secure isn't it?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 05:47 PM   #32
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
You love your iDevices. I have no issue with that.
I think you actually might.

Quote:
But, that doesn't mean that they are something they're not.
My APPL stock says otherwise.

Quote:
You might be right except for... you know... the definition of the word "innovate".

innovate - make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products.

https://www.google.com/search?q=inno...hrome&ie=UTF-8

This is exactly what Apple does and it has been doing for decades. Innovating isn't "inventing". They cause a disrupt through new implementation.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #33
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
-make changes in something established

The literal definition of innovation says you’re wrong
Appreciate 1
jmg18708.00
      05-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #34
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The final retort of an iLemming ...

You started this by cherry picking a phone as proof that the world copies St. Apple which is a fallacy. I wasn't even being critical of Apple, simply pointed out that they are not innovators and that they are often credited for innovations that they adopted from others. Doesn't matter that you don't agree, the facts are the facts. You're obviously happy being an Apple customer ... why isn't that just good enough for you? Why do you need validation from us?
Saying I'm an iLemming just makes you the opposite. You are just flat out wrong.

You aren't paying attention if you don't see the innovation and blatant copy of Apple. The entire Android OS is a copy of iOS. Apple invented this space, period. Jobs wanted to go "thermonuclear" on Android because it IS so clearly a copy of iOS, particularly earlier Android. Apple just won their long time lawsuit with Samsung for COPYING them. Fact.

Let me list the ways the industry copies Apple.

They continue to lead by removal of headphone jack in favor of wireless solutions (Google made fun of this, then did it to their own Pixel), secure facial recognition (still uses 30,000 data points for 3D mapping vs 4,000 for this particular copy, others use a non-secure 2D process), Animoji which Samsung JUST copied (without being close to as good), mobile leading silicon in their A series chips, the highest rated screen (yes, Apple's Samsung OLED was better than Samsung's Samsung OLED), continued industry leading physical design that is copied in looks and materials used time and again (Pixel, Xiaomi, etc), Apple Watch (which leads the industry and is now a phone itself), Airpods (which many like Google have since tried to copy, and fail) and continued software innovations like Portrait Mode and Studio lighting which was copied by Pixel and later by Galaxy phones. Oh and Apple actually attempts to secure your data. See the Xiaomi privacy policy? You are the product.

This is why Apple makes 90% of the mobile profit and has sold over 1B iPhones. You think all those people bought junk they could have had for cheaper? There is a reason people buy Apple gear. Many of those who don't buy it just can't afford it and will once they can (see growth in China).

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 05-31-2018 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
ASAP10162.50
      05-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #35
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Saying I'm an iLemming just makes you the opposite. You are just flat out wrong.

You aren't paying attention if you don't see the innovation and blatant copy of Apple. The entire Android OS is a copy of iOS. Apple invented this space, period. Jobs wanted to go "thermonuclear" on Android because it IS so clearly a copy of iOS, particularly earlier Android. Apple just won their long time lawsuit with Samsung for COPYING them. Fact.

They continue to lead by removal of headphone jack in favor of wireless solutions (Google made fun of this, then did it to their own Pixel), secure facial recognition (still uses 30,000 data points for 3D mapping vs 4,000 for this copy) and Animoji which Samsung JUST copied (without being as good), mobile leading silicon in their A series chips, the highest rated screen (yes, Apple's Samsung OLED was better than Samsung's Samsung OLED), continued industry leading physical design that is copied in looks and materials used time and again (Pixel, Xiaomi, etc) and continued software innovations like Portrait Mode and Studio lighting which was copied by Pixel and later by Galaxy phones.

This is why Apple makes 90% of the mobile profit and has sold over 1B iPhones. You think all those people bought junk they could have had for cheaper? There is a reason people buy Apple gear. Many of those who don't buy it just can't afford it and will once they can (see growth in China).
I'm all for personal preference when it comes to phones, maybe Johnny just doesn't like how iOS operates, that's fine. But to deny what Apple has done to this sector just because you don't like them is irrational.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:03 PM   #36
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:

They continue to lead by removal of headphone jack in favor of wireless solutions (Google made fun of this, then did it to their own Pixel), secure facial recognition (still uses 30,000 data points for 3D mapping vs 4,000 for this copy) and Animoji which Samsung JUST copied (without being as good), mobile leading silicon in their A series chips, the highest rated screen (yes, Apple's Samsung OLED was better than Samsung's Samsung OLED), continued industry leading physical design that is copied in looks and materials used time and again (Pixel, Xiaomi, etc) and continued software innovations like Portrait Mode and Studio lighting which was copied by Pixel and later by Galaxy phones.

I'm all for personal preference when it comes to phones, maybe Johnny just doesn't like how iOS operates, that's fine. But to deny what Apple has done to this sector just because you don't like them is irrational.
go back to 2005 2006 and how the phone market looked... twas a joke w windows phones... apple redefined everything
BayMoWe3351175.50
MKSixer34184.50
      05-31-2018, 06:05 PM   #37
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
go back to 2005 2006 and how the phone market looked... twas a joke w windows phones... apple redefined everything
People forget how unstable and cheap feeling the early Androids were. Not to mention the bloatware from the carriers. Remember how installing apps was such a pain because all the different hardware and software variants there were? ugh. It was like amateur hour.

Appreciate 2
BayMoWe3351175.50
MKSixer34184.50
      05-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #38
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
So am I. I've owned several Android devices and for me, they are just below Apple, by a wide margin. For others, they are great...that's fine.

To ignore blatant ripoffs like this and Samsung's attempt at a trivial example like Animojis just proves who the leader is in this market and who is following.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:08 PM   #39
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's why I said Apple literally invented the current smartphone. It really is very similar to the original iPhone. The App Store, icons on a large screen, easy to use, etc.

The first decent Android phone was probably the Galaxy S3, which I owned.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #40
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

i think Samsung makes very good tv's however... dont think apple could succeed in that space
      05-31-2018, 06:11 PM   #41
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i think Samsung makes very good tv's however... dont think apple could succeed in that space
Nor would they want it. It's a near zero margin commodity business with insane competition and high manufacturing setup costs.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:14 PM   #42
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
That's why I said Apple literally invented the current smartphone. It really is very similar to the original iPhone. The App Store, icons on a large screen, easy to use, etc.

The first decent Android phone was probably the Galaxy S3, which I owned.
I had an SII. Returned it in 2 weeks because of how unstable it was. Went back to iphone and never looked back.

Appreciate 2
BayMoWe3351175.50
MKSixer34184.50
      06-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #43
drewzMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Future M5 F90 Owner

Quote:
[IMG]https://cdn.gsmarena.com/imgroot/new...marena_014.jpg[/IMG]

No, it's the new Xiaomi Mi 8. Yes, this is their official marketing for it. Remind you of anything?

I mean, I'm all for competition, but can we get a bigger ripoff the iPhone X?

Love how people rag on Apple for "not innovating" yet Android follows Apple with notches, facial recognition, removal of headphone jack, bezeless design, and gesture based software.

I guess Apple is ahead in hardware too because this thing still has a bottom bezel. Guess they couldn't figure out how to put the display controller under a folded screen like Apple did almost a year ago.

I hope Xiaomi gets sued if Apple even thinks it's worth their time.
Sorry to break it to you, but Apple didn't invent "the notch." It was released almost a year earlier on the Essential Phone (a company owned by Andy Rubin, the inventor of Android).

Apple has been the follower for a while now...
Attached Images

*R.I.P.*
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #44
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Who the hell cares my phone looks like every other one out there. Does yours look like an origami velociraptor?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50