BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #45
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Exactly. If you can afford to retire. Do it. I say do it with a caveat: Make sure you have some activities and hobbies lined up that will keep your grey matter stimulated.

I know some retired folks who did not have hobbies before they retired, or after. All the do is watch TV all day. That is not a life.
Yep, good point. I think it's a good idea to have a hobby or two that can actually result in income. That's what my dad did. Retired early but turned his hobby into something that pays. He builds and/or restores old antique radios (not exclusively but a lot) from the electronics (discreet) to refurbishing the cabinetry. Been doing this for decades and really knows his stuff. If you know anything about old tube amps and the like, they are super valuable. People will pay $$$ on eBay for tubes alone. He has a knack at finding them and knows their value. Lets just say he takes full advantage of what he knows because most people don't. Lol.

In any case, it keeps his mind and body busy and he's nearing 80 and still going strong and enjoying life. He lives comfortably off of his retirement money along with my mom and his "hobby" helps pay for their travels and other activities they enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 12:36 PM   #46
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
On what planet do you guys get bored? Like really?

Things I would rather be doing than working even though i quite enjoy my job;

- Spend more time with kids helping them with school work
- Coach a kids sports team
- Million odd jobs around the house
- Cook trickier meals
- Exercise more
- Gran Turismo Sport
- Get back into photography
- Go for more fun drives when i buy my sports car
- More time with my mother as she ages
- More time teaching kids useful shit like how to change a tyre
- Get in some track time, never formally done it but would like to find the time

I can fill a year without even thinking.

Agreed. I'm certain I could stay busy. Unlike most of my friends that are in their mid to late 40s, I'm quite active and am an avid DIYer. Things to fill my time:

1) Play WAY more competitive volleyball than I do now (sand, grass, and indoor). Do way more tournaments too.

2) Improve my pickleball skills (former tennis player) and play on a doubles team with my 16 y/o son who's taken up the sport with me.

3) Play more disc golf with my son.

4) Play more volleyball with my 12 y/or daughter who is crazy good at the sport, continue to help her grow, and help her get to her goal of playing D1 volleyball.

5) Buy a project car and get back into auto-x (thinking C5 Z06 or NC Miata)

6) Home improvement projects

7) Buy a tear drop camper and travel the West and TN/AR with the wife camping and hiking.

8) Cook more

9) Move to a more rural area and care for some land and few animals beyond my kids
      07-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #47
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Yes, about 5 years ago I did. I'm slightly older than you and I currently work 2 days a week, and it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made, maybe the very best. I'm not driving a Ferrari, but investing in "life" was more important to me.
Appreciate 2
      07-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #48
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Thank you all for the responses and input. I've discussed with a few colleagues that have part time status. They all love it, but they do say you need to defend your hours.
      08-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #49
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Update Time:

As of this week, I made the move from fulltime to 32 hours (i.e. 20% salary and PTO cut). All my managers and colleagues have indicated that they will respect my reduced hours and my primary manager is fully supportive that I only work 32 hours and nothing more. Feels weird and it will probably take me a few months to figure out how to make this work smoothly with my projects and internal/external clients.

Thanks for all the responses.
      08-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #50
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Update Time:

As of this week, I made the move from fulltime to 32 hours (i.e. 20% salary and PTO cut). All my managers and colleagues have indicated that they will respect my reduced hours and my primary manager is fully supportive that I only work 32 hours and nothing more. Feels weird and it will probably take me a few months to figure out how to make this work smoothly with my projects and internal/external clients.

Thanks for all the responses.
Congrats! I hope you find some time to do things you enjoy. If you're working all the time and making money but can't enjoy life, what's it worth? Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 06:07 AM   #51
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

70 hours a week right now, sometimes i'd like to dial it back. Then sometimes i dont.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #52
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Near same age as OP. I'd do hot tub streams on Twitch. Winning!

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 04:13 AM   #53
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativetexan View Post
Congrats OP on the jump!

I turned 40 this year and have a high stress job, Controller for a "large small business". Making/preparing for a change is something I gotta start figuring out.

This thread has inspired me.
Quite similar here on all accounts
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #54
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Nativetexan I went to quote post as I finally have time to respond and it disappeared. Apologies if the time delay was perceived as lack of interest, rather the opposite, I wanted to give the response it’s due credit and time to post. Feel free to post up again if you like.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #55
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Update Time:

As of this week, I made the move from fulltime to 32 hours...
4 years ago, I went from 37 hrs to 29hrs (never work on Mondays) and since we only work 5 hrs on Friday, from mid April to Mid October I'm don't work on Friday either (covered by my vacation time).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #56
highrevs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (E90, 6MT, ZCP)

I may be a pessimist, but I feel like I’m seeing the writing on the wall with automation starting to replace low wage jobs, at the same time people don’t want to take low wage jobs, with a disappearing middle class, and hyper competitive people fighting for the top positions, many of which may also be susceptible to replacement, e.g., AI on big data. My inclination is to kick ass for as long as possible (way more than 40 hrs/week) doing something a computer still can’t do. Hopefully if I do that I’ll be comfortable in the end. I’m 43 by the way so I have some years left in me. And I realize this probably isn’t what you want to hear.
Appreciate 0