BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #45
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
You don't want to take Starbucks orders for the whole dept for years? I've seen way to many of those vs a handful who have become executives. Im in tv production as well but corporate functions.
Corporate is where the $$ is at, which is why I'm there as well. One of my first bosses spent a year running coffee for some director in LA when he got out of college, it took a year for him to realize that's all he was ever going to do. I'm too old to waste time doing that.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #46
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

still confused, follow the money.... if you were married your wife would have already told you that
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #47
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded
still confused, follow the money.... if you were married your wife would have already told you that
I'll put up with bullshit as long as the money = bullshit amount
      03-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #48
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP86
Quote:
You don't want to take Starbucks orders for the whole dept for years? I've seen way to many of those vs a handful who have become executives. Im in tv production as well but corporate functions.
Corporate is where the $$ is at, which is why I'm there as well. One of my first bosses spent a year running coffee for some director in LA when he got out of college, it took a year for him to realize that's all he was ever going to do. I'm too old to waste time doing that.
How long have you been working?

Edit: I guess the people who made it were assistants for 15 yrs and then started bringing in $$$$ once they finally got a real title and responsibilities. 10/hr jump to millions. Lol
      03-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #49
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh let's see, professionally I think I'm at about 7 or 8 years. You ever heard of Harris creative? That sounds like the stuff you might be working in.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #50
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Rofl! hella true
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #51
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh let's see, professionally I think I'm at about 7 or 8 years. You ever heard of Harris creative? That sounds like the stuff you might be working in.
I'm about a year shy of that. I've been at Disney, Paramount, and Warner.....moved on to independent tv production studio. Had enough of the huge company politics with people who are lazy and comfortable at there manager positions.

I'll be back at one of the larger studios again in a couple years and be those same lazy people's bosses HA! (I've had my own struggles and decisions that you are at right now for about the past year.)

One of my good buddies (we track together) is head of video production at a smaller company down here that provides services to the major studios. He's making big time money. If you can be an asset to your company the long run could be quite great. I'm just impatient and focus a lot on the now as well so like to jump ship which I don't mind. I still keep good connections with the smart ones higher up who I can potentially work for again.
      03-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #52
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm about a year shy of that. I've been at Disney, Paramount, and Warner.....moved on to independent tv production studio. Had enough of the huge company politics with people who are lazy and comfortable at there manager positions.

I'll be back at one of the larger studios again in a couple years and be those same lazy people's bosses HA! (I've had my own struggles and decisions that you are at right now for about the past year.)

One of my good buddies (we track together) is head of video production at a smaller company down here that provides services to the major studios. He's making big time money. If you can be an asset to your company the long run could be quite great. I'm just impatient and focus a lot on the now as well so like to jump ship which I don't mind. I still keep good connections with the smart ones higher up who I can potentially work for again.
You got into the studio game though, it doesn't sound like you're in production, producer? I'm a video editor by trade but am currently doing all facets of production for a major credit card company.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #53
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You got into the studio game though, it doesn't sound like you're in production, producer? I'm a video editor by trade but am currently doing all facets of production for a major credit card company.
I'm in Corp Finance - valuations on deals, budget management, etc.
      03-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #54
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ahh yes we are mortal enemies by default then! Is your buddy in finance as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #55
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP86 View Post
Yes I will get 1,000 shares
Negotiate more. 1000 is not many given your direct manager is a VP. Will you be a director, asst. director, associate director? As stated earlier, we need more info without negatively affecting your opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #56
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

No real responsibilities like a stay at home wife and/or kids? I say go for the start up.

However, I personally like the idea of being able to help be a part of developing something. Like one mentioned earlier, if it's successful, it's great for you to learn and have on your resume, if it's unsuccessful, it's great for you to learn and have something for your next interview as long as you are continually reflective in your position.

What does derpina think? haha - Looks like you get a lot of good perks judging by your photos. However, save enough and you can pay for those world wide adventures. There are certain accomplishments that working for a red tape company may not be able to provide you.

best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #57
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Some thoughts on IPO in second half of the year...

If that is going to happen, they should already be working on it. If they are already working on it, they shouldn't be talking much to anyone about it outside of people with NDAs. So, I'm a little skeptical on timing. Also, if you get stock options so close to the IPO they aren't going to have strike prices that far off the IPO price. So I don't think I'd go for the new job if IPO is a major factor in the decision given the rest of what you said about it.

If you feel like you are stagnating, I suggest networking with some executive recruiters and take a look at some other options.
      03-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #58
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ahh yes we are mortal enemies by default then! Is your buddy in finance as well?

True.

No my friend is on the creative side.
      03-07-2016, 11:26 PM   #59
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

True.

And he's making bank? Shoot me the digits! Forums for networking! Haha jk
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #60
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Some thoughts on IPO in second half of the year...

If that is going to happen, they should already be working on it. If they are already working on it, they shouldn't be talking much to anyone about it outside of people with NDAs. So, I'm a little skeptical on timing. Also, if you get stock options so close to the IPO they aren't going to have strike prices that far off the IPO price. So I don't think I'd go for the new job if IPO is a major factor in the decision given the rest of what you said about it.

If you feel like you are stagnating, I suggest networking with some executive recruiters and take a look at some other options.
I wouldn't say that the IPO is important to me, in fact I think I'd rather have them not go public Bc of how much culture changes post IPO.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #61
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
No real responsibilities like a stay at home wife and/or kids? I say go for the start up.

However, I personally like the idea of being able to help be a part of developing something. Like one mentioned earlier, if it's successful, it's great for you to learn and have on your resume, if it's unsuccessful, it's great for you to learn and have something for your next interview as long as you are continually reflective in your position.

What does derpina think? haha - Looks like you get a lot of good perks judging by your photos. However, save enough and you can pay for those world wide adventures. There are certain accomplishments that working for a red tape company may not be able to provide you.

best of luck!
She's all about that $$ hah! Really though, she hates my travel so she's just happy with the idea of me not going out of state or the country every 2-4 weeks. It does offer perks, as you say, and that's one of the things that kept me from jumping right into the new opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:30 PM   #62
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Negotiate more. 1000 is not many given your direct manager is a VP. Will you be a director, asst. director, associate director? As stated earlier, we need more info without negatively affecting your opportunity.
I'm not clear on the exact position in terms of director but it sounds like it's non managerial right now Bc I'll be the first employee. As I grow the infrastructure and I assume the team, that would probably change. They said 1k shares was for non managers.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:32 PM   #63
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

True.

And he's making bank? Shoot me the digits! Forums for networking! Haha jk
But he is the head of whatever he does. I think he's a member on here I'll try to get him to post here.
      03-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #64
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
But he is the head of whatever he does. I think he's a member on here I'll try to get him to post here.
Hah no I don't think that's necessary, I do find it valuable to network inside the creative industry though.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #65
OptionlessM
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
This is a retarded post.

First off, how can you know the value of 1000 shares.

Second off, why would a startup have those layers of management.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #66
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionlessM View Post
This is a retarded post.

First off, how can you know the value of 1000 shares.

Second off, why would a startup have those layers of management.

3 Start-ups. Minimum 30,000 shares per.

End this now. Don't bother responding. You will only look dumber.
Appreciate 0