BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #45
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
InB4 OP creates thread about getting rejected by GF.

EDIT: Dammit......
Lol. Que?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #46
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Let me fix that for you......"SOME girls need inexhaustible spouse bank accounts".
FTFY
      03-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #47
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
Let me fix that for you......"SOME girls need inexhaustible spouse bank accounts".
FTFY
I stand by my post
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #48
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Just keep asking
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #49
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Let me fix that for you......"most girls need inexhaustible spouse bank accounts".
That's what I meant with inexhaustible stimulation .
BTW...Of course also in bed

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #50
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
InB4 OP creates thread about getting rejected by GF.

EDIT: Dammit......
Haha. Linky?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #51
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335
Marriage topic should be discussed with your partner prior to asking.

Those that ask out of the blue and get a NO answer are simply not too clever.

There is nothing wrong with discussing marriage and what kind of a ring she'd like. This way you get an idea as to where you stand and what ring to buy. Imagine buying her a ring that she doesn't like, and having her wear it forever. I'd be pretty bummed out if I was a chick.

Oh and if a chick asked me to marry her in front of hundreds of people (and I knew I wasn't ready) I'd still say yes at the moment and then pull her aside later on and gently diffuse the engagement acceptance. This way you don't embarrass her and yourself.

For some reason people think that engagement is like marriage and that you can't back out of it. It's that final chance to feel things out before you sign your manhood away. So choose wisely!
This. It is not a question you ask without thinking you know the answer to it, particularly in a large public setting. Yet some people do just that and then get surprised when the answer is "no". It's not like asking "Wanna get a pizza?".
      03-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #52
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Then why even be dating someone...? You know?
Marriage is nothing more than a religious ceremony and/or a tax concern. Marriage does not benefit you in any way, shape, or form (Other than to fit into society/religion/culture or for tax/legal reasons).

If you make a public showing of your proposal... thats awesome but as with all choice items... you have a chance at multiple outcomes. In this case you have a 50/50 chance of getting the answer you were "hoping" to get. Now regardless of the answer you got at that moment in time, the only thing that makes sense for "most" intelligent people is to "say yes" in the beginning and then later you can always back out gracefully... but not everyone is intelligent... some folks are really slow on the uptake.

Either way it's a win/win if you ask me... guy asks girl to marry him... girl says no... okay well then that is a discussion point to see why goals were not in line and what happened. Then you have a way to move forward with goals... otherwise nothing happens.

To me the bigger question is... why are diamonds (an item that is in a never ending source of creation) are so expensive and why it is something associated to marriages?

Linky --> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engagement_ring
"In 1938, the diamond cartel De Beers began a marketing campaign that would have a major impact on engagement rings. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the price of diamonds collapsed. At the same time, market research indicated that engagement rings were going out of style with the younger generation. While the first phase of the marketing campaign consisted of market research, the advertising phase began in 1939. One of the first elements of this campaign was to educate the public about the 4 Cs (cut, carats, color, and clarity). In 1947 the slogan "a diamond is forever" was introduced. Ultimately, the De Beers campaign sought to persuade the consumer that an engagement ring is indispensable, and that a diamond is the only acceptable stone for an engagement ring."

Sounds like a lot of suckers to me.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #53
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

i agree, if your in a deep relationship for the right reasons, you don't just date without confining in what the other person wants. im sure if a couple truly wanted to get married, it would been discussed prior to the big question being answered.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #54
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Then why even be dating someone...? You know?
Well, for starters, it's a good way to get to know the person you may be spending the rest of your life with
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #55
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

It seems that one should know their partner well enough to already know the answer and the proposal is just something to make it official one way or another. Then again, I dated my now wife for nearly 10 years before we got engaged.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #56
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
It seems that one should know their partner well enough to already know the answer and the proposal is just something to make it official one way or another. Then again, I dated my now wife for nearly 10 years before we got engaged.
10 years! Good to see that your nick applies to all aspects of life. That's some pro-level lurking right there.
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #57
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

"No means no"

03-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #58
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker
I did seven. Had to make sure to be sure to be sure
      03-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #59
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:
10 years! Good to see that your nick applies to all aspects of life. That's some pro-level lurking right there.
Pro level or poor level?
      03-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #60
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I did seven. Had to make sure to be sure to be sure
I waited a whole 2 months before i started designing the ring. When you know, you know.
      03-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #61
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I waited a whole 2 months before i started designing the ring. When you know, you know.
Love this! My future wife and I moved in together after like 2 months. Just took a few years to get around to the paperwork...
      03-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #62
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Love this! My future wife and I moved in together after like 2 months. Just took a few years to get around to the paperwork...
Been together 15 years since engagement. Married for 14.
      03-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #63
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Marriage is nothing more than a religious ceremony and/or a tax concern. Marriage does not benefit you in any way, shape, or form (Other than to fit into society/religion/culture or for tax/legal reasons).

If you make a public showing of your proposal... thats awesome but as with all choice items... you have a chance at multiple outcomes. In this case you have a 50/50 chance of getting the answer you were "hoping" to get. Now regardless of the answer you got at that moment in time, the only thing that makes sense for "most" intelligent people is to "say yes" in the beginning and then later you can always back out gracefully... but not everyone is intelligent... some folks are really slow on the uptake.

Either way it's a win/win if you ask me... guy asks girl to marry him... girl says no... okay well then that is a discussion point to see why goals were not in line and what happened. Then you have a way to move forward with goals... otherwise nothing happens.

To me the bigger question is... why are diamonds (an item that is in a never ending source of creation) are so expensive and why it is something associated to marriages?

"In 1938, the diamond cartel De Beers began a marketing campaign that would have a major impact on engagement rings. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the price of diamonds collapsed. At the same time, market research indicated that engagement rings were going out of style with the younger generation. While the first phase of the marketing campaign consisted of market research, the advertising phase began in 1939. One of the first elements of this campaign was to educate the public about the 4 Cs (cut, carats, color, and clarity). In 1947 the slogan "a diamond is forever" was introduced. Ultimately, the De Beers campaign sought to persuade the consumer that an engagement ring is indispensable, and that a diamond is the only acceptable stone for an engagement ring."

Great. Fucking. Post.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #64
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post

I have 0 regrets purchasing a potential family heirloom that is often a fraction of what one pays in depreciation of one car from said forum.

Do I understand that diamond prices are manipulated? 100%
Do I care? Not really...

I wonder if people who claim engagement rings are for suckers own any art pieces.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #65
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
I have 0 regrets purchasing a potential family heirloom that is often a fraction of what one pays in depreciation of one car from said forum.

Do I understand that diamond prices are manipulated? 100%
Do I care? Not really...

I wonder if people who claim engagement rings are for suckers own any art pieces.
Not this sucker called "Fazman" I keep all my "Heirlooms" on wall street
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #66
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

A lot of girls date guys just NOT to be single. Let's be honest, there are a lot of benefits to have a BF... Unfortunately some guys never see the truth (or don't want to accept it) and never realize that this is just temporary. In my opinion those are the guys that get the NO!
Appreciate 0