BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #23
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
Whether the criminal had committed crimes before has nothing to do with a person's obligation not to seek self-help remedy, if that's the law in Maryland.
but the criminal had comitted a crime in his house before.
I'm sure the home owner felt violated after the first robbery. When you get broken into, you really don't feel safe the next day. You are all shaken up and stuff.. a terrible feeling to not feel safe at home. At least he got his feeling of safety in his own home back. And the death of some scumbag who doesn't deserve life is a small price to pay.

If he hadn't done it, that dude would probably have come back again, and again, and told his criminal buddies to go for a share too.
I was especially pleased that he screamed of fear, and felt the anguish he created for so many people. In those few minutes where his fate was sealed, he felt the horrible pain that he caused to everyone. Karma is a bitch. That's a lesson no amount of years of jail time could have ever taught that delinquent (sp?).
      09-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #24
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
I saw this on the news lol. Everybody was talking about it. No love for the criminal at all. If at my house it would have been a shot gun blast. I cant believe that there is any question of prosecuting the johns hopkins student. He was completely justified in defending his property and probably didnt intend to kill the guy.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #25
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

I'm from Baltimore and hear the updates of the story all the time. This kid is fucked.
1- He left the safety of his secured home, walked across his yard to the garage, and then entered the garage where he knew he would find nothing but trouble. If the garage was attached this would be different, because then it would be declared part of the house.
2- He didn't lock his garage, opening himself to the possibility of something like this, if not welcoming it. I know the neighborhood. It's a place where if you don't lock doors and set alarms you are going to have problems.
3- Witnesses to the incident reported hearing the student command the burglar to get on his knees, there were no sounds of scuffling, and then a horrible scream. That doesn't sound like he was in much danger from the unarmed man to me.

Don't get me wrong. If this guy was in his house, game on. If it was me I would do what i had to. Also, the kid was supposively trained with the sword, so he knew the damage it would inflict. But when he left his secure, safe house, that is where I think the kid made a dumb decision. He didn't go out there to scare the guy off, he went knowing no good was coming of him walking out there with a samurai sword, as opposed to waiting in his safe home for the police.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #26
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
I'm from Baltimore and hear the updates of the story all the time. This kid is fucked.
1- He left the safety of his secured home, walked across his yard to the garage, and then entered the garage where he knew he would find nothing but trouble. If the garage was attached this would be different, because then it would be declared part of the house.
2- He didn't lock his garage, opening himself to the possibility of something like this, if not welcoming it. I know the neighborhood. It's a place where if you don't lock doors and set alarms you are going to have problems.
3- Witnesses to the incident reported hearing the student command the burglar to get on his knees, there were no sounds of scuffling, and then a horrible scream. That doesn't sound like he was in much danger from the unarmed man to me.

Don't get me wrong. If this guy was in his house, game on. If it was me I would do what i had to. Also, the kid was supposively trained with the sword, so he knew the damage it would inflict. But when he left his secure, safe house, that is where I think the kid made a dumb decision. He didn't go out there to scare the guy off, he went knowing no good was coming of him walking out there with a samurai sword, as opposed to waiting in his safe home for the police.
That could all be true, but he should still have the right to defend his property no matter the circumstances. He was being robbed by a criminal. If we all took such drastic steps, then home invasions and burglaries would stop real fast.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #27
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
That could all be true, but he should still have the right to defend his property no matter the circumstances. He was being robbed by a criminal. If we all took such drastic steps, then home invasions and burglaries would stop real fast.
Not every state affords its citizens that right. Apparently, Maryland is one of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #28
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not every state affords its citizens that right. Apparently, Maryland is one of them.
lol yes I know. We all cant live in texas or west virginia. In maryland the criminals get better rights then the honest citizens. I dont know if its political correctness or stupidity or what. But we are barely allowed to defend our own lives, let alone our own property that we work for.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #29
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol yes I know. We all cant live in texas or west virginia. In maryland the criminals get better rights then the honest citizens. I dont know if its political correctness or stupidity or what. But we are barely allowed to defend our own lives, let alone our own property that we work for.
It protects the criminals from an unwarranted vengeful death as well as the citizen from putting himself in a bad situation where he could be hurt or killed. No matter what, no court in this country would even impose death sentence for theft. That being said, that criminal (as many times as he had stolen) did not deserve to die. Imprisonment, yes. Death, no. We have laws for a reason. The reason is so that people don't go on self-help remedy rampages. Kid should have stayed in his house. He does deserve to go to prison. Was a laptop really worth killing someone with a samurai sword?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #30
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just feel like I should have the right to defend myself and my property. Why should a criminal get to come and take or damage my personal stuff? I dont get it. If the criminal takes the stupid risk of breaking into somebodies property, then he must take the risk of dealing with the consequences.

Just a few years ago horse thieves were hung. Start killing the home invaders and the home invasions stop. Maybe i biased since a thief brutally murdered my uncle by stabbing him with a nail in a board over 200 times. Maybe if that thief thought he was going to be chopped up with a sword, my uncle would still be alive.

I have no sympathy for criminals who get caught and suffer the consequences. I live around baltimore. Thieves rob, they rape, they murder women and children, so I dont care if one got chopped up. You can barely walk out of your home around here even in the nice neighborhoods. Its got to end. I work hard for my property.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #31
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just feel like I should have the right to defend myself and my property. Why should a criminal get to come and take or damage my personal stuff? I dont get it. If the criminal takes the stupid risk of breaking into somebodies property, then he must take the risk of dealing with the consequences.

Just a few years ago horse thieves were hung. Start killing the home invaders and the home invasions stop. Maybe i biased since a thief brutally murdered my uncle by stabbing him with a nail in a board over 200 times. Maybe if that thief thought he was going to be chopped up with a sword, my uncle would still be alive.

I have no sympathy for criminals who get caught and suffer the consequences. I live around baltimore. Thieves rob, they rape, they murder women and children, so I dont care if one got chopped up. You can barely walk out of your home around here even in the nice neighborhoods. Its got to end. I work hard for my property.
The consequence for theft is imprisonment, not death. Law enforcement officers have the duty to enforce the law. Citizens do not enforce the law. Did your uncle leave a safe structure he was in to go into a structure that he knew a crime was being committed in? Come on, don't be naive here.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #32
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The consequence for theft is imprisonment, not death. Law enforcement officers have the duty to enforce the law. Citizens do not enforce the law. Did your uncle leave a safe structure he was in to go into a structure that he knew a crime was being committed in? Come on, don't be naive here.
Im not being naive. Thieves are the same as murderers around here. That guy just got out of jail, so it didnt do him much good. I assume that you are arguing because the ninja went into the garage and was not in his home. I can understand that point. I personally would have went into the garage with a shotgun, but would not have shot unless fired upon.

Still, the criminals get so many chances, to rob and murder and then get released from prison. Good people should not be punished. The ninja was not going out looking for people to kill. He caught a thief and may have taken it to far. But with so many constant murders and thugs around here, there is a point where it gets too much.

I had to chase 3 guys out of my property the other day who were trying to mess with the back door. They ran from my guns. I did not however order them onto their knees like the ninja did, and then kill them.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #33
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
But how do you know what the criminal's intent is? If someone is breaking into your house (not garage) you don't know if they are there to kill you, rape you, shoot your dog, kidnap your kids, take your TV or sniff your bras.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #34
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
But how do you know what the criminal's intent is? If someone is breaking into your house (not garage) you don't know if they are there to kill you, rape you, shoot your dog, kidnap your kids, take your TV or sniff your bras.
If someone is breaking into your detached garage, I'm pretty sure that you can infer they aren't looking for someone to murder.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #35
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
never heard of a bra sniffer...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #36
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post
never heard of a bra sniffer...
Just an analogy for a more innocuous crime.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 01:37 AM   #37
yooooooo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

make a DIY spoiler like this guy??
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 04:00 AM   #38
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
If someone is breaking into your detached garage, I'm pretty sure that you can infer they aren't looking for someone to murder.
from what I understood, it was the second time he breaks into the same house?

what is to stop him from coming a third time? and a 4th?
the guy should abandon his garage to some thief? You'd just watch casually as your garage is being ransacked until the police finally finish their donuts?
I don't know about you, but response time is pretty slow.

In Montreal, someone tried to break into our house. The alarm company called the police, my parents (who were out of town and thus their phones were off), my brother who was in a movie and so his phone was off, and finally me. I was on the other side of town. I had the time to run to my car, drive to my house, and the police was still not there. The first thing I did when I ran in? grabbed a sword and looked for possible break in locations/hiding spots. The police station is a 10min walk from my house. It is a local station in a relatively quiet/rich area. Turns out the guy couldn't get in finally. They never caught him. Next day, my neighbors got burglarized at 3pm in the afternoon. That month was a crime spree in my neighborhood (TMR for the montrealers).
      09-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #39
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
from what I understood, it was the second time he breaks into the same house?

what is to stop him from coming a third time? and a 4th?
the guy should abandon his garage to some thief? You'd just watch casually as your garage is being ransacked until the police finally finish their donuts?
I don't know about you, but response time is pretty slow.

In Montreal, someone tried to break into our house. The alarm company called the police, my parents (who were out of town and thus their phones were off), my brother who was in a movie and so his phone was off, and finally me. I was on the other side of town. I had the time to run to my car, drive to my house, and the police was still not there. The first thing I did when I ran in? grabbed a sword and looked for possible break in locations/hiding spots. The police station is a 10min walk from my house. It is a local station in a relatively quiet/rich area. Turns out the guy couldn't get in finally. They never caught him. Next day, my neighbors got burglarized at 3pm in the afternoon. That month was a crime spree in my neighborhood (TMR for the montrealers).
So? The law does not change because a crime had been committed prior. The kid still left a secure structure when he knew a crime was taking place in another one.

The guy should not "abandon" his garage to anyone. He should not go from his house with a weapon, into his garage, instigating violent action. The laws here in Texas are very different. In Texas, we can use deadly force against trespassers. This goes back to the cattle theft days. The police could not stop cattle theft, so the legislature handed property governance over to the property owners. I still wouldn't risk my own life for some personal property. I have insurance. If my house was broken into more than once, I would highly consider moving.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #40
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
So? The law does not change because a crime had been committed prior. The kid still left a secure structure when he knew a crime was taking place in another one.

The guy should not "abandon" his garage to anyone. He should not go from his house with a weapon, into his garage, instigating violent action. The laws here in Texas are very different. In Texas, we can use deadly force against trespassers. This goes back to the cattle theft days. The police could not stop cattle theft, so the legislature handed property governance over to the property owners. I still wouldn't risk my own life for some personal property. I have insurance. If my house was broken into more than once, I would highly consider moving.
You are at a different point in you life than the "swordsman". You have your education completed, a wife, a steady job, insurance, and most importantly you also have more experience in life in general and the consequences of actions. Most late teens or early 20 somethings have a different outlook at this point in their lives. If they see themselves or their property being violated, they're going to take action. Hell, even a professional boxer a couple weeks ago was killed after he chased a mugger and then was shot and killed. His occupation and experience probably left him with the judgement that he could handle the situation. I'm willing to bet the college kid with a sword also had some experience using the weapon and thus had the confidence to confront the burglar on his own and handle the matter himself.

Also, I think you'd have a hard time getting a jury to convict this kid when you say "he should not have left his home and went to the garage to instigate an incident" especially after he's been robbed previously. I think any jury made up of layman will understand that if you've been robbed prior, then you'll probably be likely to take quick action the next time you see it happen. It's only natural. And not everyone has the insurance or the luxury of moving, as you stated, after they've been robbed more than once.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor

Last edited by DenverJayhawk; 09-18-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #41
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Im in the area that this crime took place. If im on the jury, im voting not guilty.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #42
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
You are at a different point in you life than the "swordsman". You have your education completed, a wife, a steady job, insurance, and most importantly you also have more experience in life in general and the consequences of actions. Most late teens or early 20 somethings have a different outlook at this point in their lives. If they see themselves or their property being violated, they're going to take action. Hell, even a professional boxer a couple weeks ago was killed after he chased a mugger and then was shot and killed. His occupation and experience probably left him with the judgement that he could handle the situation. I'm willing to bet the college kid with a sword also had some experience using the weapon and thus had the confidence to confront the burglar on his own and handle the matter himself.

Also, I think you'd have a hard time getting a jury to convict this kid when you say "he should not have left his home and went to the garage to instigate an incident" especially after he's been robbed previously. I think any jury made up of layman will understand that if you've been robbed prior, then you'll probably be likely to take quick action the next time you see it happen. It's only natural. And not everyone has the insurance or the luxury of moving, as you stated, after they've been robbed more than once.
We don't have all the facts. As someone else previously stated, the kids frequently kept the garage door unlocked. Locking the door could make it more difficult for someone to break in. No sensible person leaves their shit unlocked, especially after one break-in. I can't say that I can convince a jury of anything. Criminal law is not my forte. You are right that jury perspective is going to be something difficult to overcome, but I bet you that if they hear that some crazy 20 year old comes into the detached garage with a samurai sword, after calling the police, while witnesses testify that the kid ordered the burglar on his knees, that kid is more than likely going away. That's premeditated, regardless of any home invasion or breaking and entering that took place prior.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #43
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Dude. It's Baltimore city. I live in the city. This means a nearly all black jury. Juries in this city are insane and come damn near protecting criminals. If the kid is Asian (not being racist, just and extremely high percentage of Asian students at Hopkins and the samurai sword thing) he is screwed.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #44
TexAg06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the laws of Maryland, but as a Juris, I would disagree with you. Many states have laws favoring retreat if possible. Notice that the garage to the home was detached. The student had already called police before walking over to his garage. He could have easily stayed in his home and neither his own life nor the intruder's life would have been harmed. Many B & E's are perpetrated by the homeless in an effort to find property to sell to obtain money for food (or habits). These people do not care if they are caught and arrested, because jail means free food and shelter.
luckily in Texas, we have the Castle Doctrine which allows and individual to use deadly force to protect himself and property.
Appreciate 0