BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #23
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I guess I made the right choice after all because I can buy now at 36 and be at a lower position than previously. shouldda dumped 100% tho. o well average FTW
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #24
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
traders.... you are better off betting sports than trading...

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #25
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
My F.A. has never come to my door late at night with a baseball bat like my book did while at college.
      09-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #26
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

alright boys.....at 33.821 right now....

who had the ballz to short this sucker at 50....cuz you're sittin pretty right now if ya did....

glad I didn't take the sept. 60s....hahah ..would have been cleaned out.

pump and dump is the norm

if you guys have BBG....check out the <OMON> screen....look at the premiums on the options ...Sept 30 puts fetching 3.05/3.14 ....big volume...looks like the big boys are dumping and running....
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #27
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Hovering back up near 35.....
      09-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #28
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
So true. Amateurs don't have a clue and have no edge. They don't even know how to measure their trading to know whether they are good at it or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #29
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I bought a put at 54. I would rather have shorted it but there were no available shares to short. Ever since they made short selling illegal its hard to short a lot of stocks.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #30
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC LV View Post
I bought a put at 54. I would rather have shorted it but there were no available shares to short. Ever since they made short selling illegal its hard to short a lot of stocks.
LOL

give up now while you still have your money... you clearly are clueless beyond a doubt....
      09-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #31
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep

I meant NAKED short selling illegal. Give up now??? I sold the put at 40 retard and I'm up 150% for the year. I dont think ill be giving it up any time soon. Know what ur talking about before ur fingers touch the keyboard.

If u dont think i know what im talking about, go try shorting aig and tell me how it works out for ya there.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #32
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I meant NAKED short selling illegal. Give up now??? I sold the put at 40 retard and I'm up 150% for the year. I dont think ill be giving it up any time soon. Know what ur talking about before ur fingers touch the keyboard.

If u dont think i know what im talking about, go try shorting aig and tell me how it works out for ya there.
I go long/short AIG on a regular basis.... I manage an algorithmic trading desk... high freq equity pairs systems being one of the major focuses....i think it's safe to say I know what I'm talking about before my finger touch the keyboard

i digress... you're still a fool
      09-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #33
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Up 150%? Wow, whats your sharpe ratio? Max DD? Do you have a system? Any backtest numbers? Thats really impressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #34
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
I go long/short AIG on a regular basis.... I manage an algorithmic trading desk... high freq equity pairs systems being one of the major focuses....i think it's safe to say I know what I'm talking about before my finger touch the keyboard

i digress... you're still a fool

I used to long and short AIG all the time too but since they made naked short selling illegal i haven't been able to short AIG. Everytime I try, it tells me that there are no available shares to short. Just curious, how are you still able to short it? There were some others as well like UA and CLR.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #35
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Up 150%? Wow, whats your sharpe ratio? Max DD? Do you have a system? Any backtest numbers? Thats really impressive.

Actually not even a year but since March. I caught the bottom and started investing about a week after the market bottomed. I don't have a particular system, rather I watch how certain stocks "live" and catch a feel for them.

I hold some positions, swing trade and day trade. One example is MTL. I have a great feel for what it's going to do. I bought it yestoday at the close (wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are sure of what your doing) and sold it right at the open for a $600 gain. Had I waited 5 minutes I would have made $2000. Regardless, i caught it near the top and shorted it and made another $400. So about $1000 total in 1 hour.

What I'm trying to say is that I hop on certain stocks when I think they'll make a move and ride it while I can and then get out.
I'm sorry I don't know what DD or sharp ratio is.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #36
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Actually not even a year but since March. I caught the bottom and started investing about a week after the market bottomed. I don't have a particular system, rather I watch how certain stocks "live" and catch a feel for them.

I hold some positions, swing trade and day trade. One example is MTL. I have a great feel for what it's going to do. I bought it yestoday at the close (wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are sure of what your doing) and sold it right at the open for a $600 gain. Had I waited 5 minutes I would have made $2000. Regardless, i caught it near the top and shorted it and made another $400. So about $1000 total in 1 hour.

What I'm trying to say is that I hop on certain stocks when I think they'll make a move and ride it while I can and then get out.
I'm sorry I don't know what DD or sharp ratio is.
The Sharpe ratio gives an idea of how much risk there is in your trading, more info is at this wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_ratio

DD stands for Drawdown and it measures the largest decline in assets you’ve had from a peak. Again more info at wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawdown_(economics)

Knowing both of these (along with a bunch of other stats) will allow you to evaluate what is and isn’t working in your trading.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #37
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I used to long and short AIG all the time too but since they made naked short selling illegal i haven't been able to short AIG. Everytime I try, it tells me that there are no available shares to short. Just curious, how are you still able to short it? There were some others as well like UA and CLR.
Simple... I'm an institutional trader... you are a retail trader...

you hop on stocks when you think they move.... i run algorithmic models that make them move due to the sheer volume traded on my side
      09-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #38
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:

you hop on stocks when you think they move.... i run algorithmic models that make them move due to the sheer volume traded on my side
did you engineer the models??
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #39
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

can someone explain to me how an individual could ever gain in a system where institutional investors and other market movers so clearly have an advantage?
      09-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #40
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
did you engineer the models??
some
      09-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #41
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
can someone explain to me how an individual could ever gain in a system where institutional investors and other market movers so clearly have an advantage?
it's possible, afterall the market is far from efficient
      09-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #42
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Gotcha. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #43
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
The Sharpe ratio gives an idea of how much risk there is in your trading, more info is at this wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_ratio

DD stands for Drawdown and it measures the largest decline in assets you’ve had from a peak. Again more info at wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawdown_(economics)

Knowing both of these (along with a bunch of other stats) will allow you to evaluate what is and isn’t working in your trading.
Oh ok. At one point I did have a big decline but I made some adjustments and have been moving up nice and steady.

As far as stats go, I do pay attention to many things but my main tool is technical analysis. So basically I look at charts and make certain evaluations. I don't pay too much attention to fundamentals unless I plan on holding a position for a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #44
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok. At one point I did have a big decline but I made some adjustments and have been moving up nice and steady.

As far as stats go, I do pay attention to many things but my main tool is technical analysis. So basically I look at charts and make certain evaluations. I don't pay too much attention to fundamentals unless I plan on holding a position for a while.
Not knowing these basics is why I stated earlier, stop while you still have your money.... until you get the fundamentals down, you have no business trading... take this as some friendly advice