BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #23
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
wow that is a crazy story. i'm glad both of you guys made it out w/out serious injuries.
thanks.

not to mention the car is totalled.

i will see if i can get pics.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #24
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
well here it goes. Me and my friend decided to skip our last class of the day and get in his car hilst he drives and were on our way to Paris(city in ontario) to get his windows tinted. We reached Paris and waited whilst the dude tinted my friends car. After he finished we payed him and left for home. Whilst on our way, we somehow manged to get lost. We finally recognized where we were and took highway 8(a 2 lane road. One lane going and one lane coming).

It was around 5pm and i remmember talking vividly remmember us talking about how life is precious and how this will be our last year before we go our seperate ways to college/university. yes I was and still am 17, and he was 16, now 17. Whilst driving my friend was getting restless driving behind traffic. I told him to calm down and said "were not in a rush man". He did not reply and with 2 cars ahead of us he swerved into the oncoming lane in order to overtake(yes bad move) I remmember telling him "What the fuck are you doing? You'll get us killed!!!". He tried overtaking but no success, he couldn't gain enough speed in order to overtake 2 cars. By that time the car in the oncoming lane is getting closer rapidly. Not able to get back in the correct lane due to cars being behind us and no room to get in, he went on to the oncoming shoulder lane. His steering wheel starts to rattle rapidly due to the GRAVEL. Not able to control the car at that speed, whilst on gravel, we went hard right into the correct lane and smashed into a white sedan, kept going and landed more than 100 feet away from the road in someones backyard(open field to both sides of the road, and a house with no fence closing his backyard.). After who knows how many flips we landed right side up. unconscious for i dont know how long i remmember waking up with my foot outside the window and glass in my hair, whilst my lap full of grass.

i scan my surroundings and find cars lined up to the far left of us and people standing staring at what was left of the vehicle. A guy comes and says to my friend who got around the same time i did, and asks for the keys. yes he asks us for the keys, and not how we were. And leaves us there. Scared and shaking i called my dad who leaves work and rushed to the site. Paramedics and police arrive on the scene in what seemed like ages, and strapped me onto a stretcher(litterally ried me down) and checked my vital signs. In the mean time my dad arrives and i stare directly up towards him whilst he asks me if I'm alright. The paramedics tell my dad to reach at the hospital and ship into the Ambulance. After X-rays, blood tests etc. the doctors tell me "your one lucky guy". Later that night i went home with some bruises and a sore back.

For those of you who'd like to know. The car was an 2002-2006 Acura 1.7 EL. I learned my lesson and am alot more. I remmember before we left to Paris, calling my parents and telling them that im going with my friend, and them not being happy about it. i eventually convinced them. Only to see my mom 4-5 hours later in the hospital, and my dad by my side.

Also, airbags never went off, and thank god we had seatbelts on.
thats a crazy story. youre friend got a little crazy there. im dying to know wtf that guy who took your keys was all about haha. so did this change your outlook on life?

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #25
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

when i was 8 (i think) i fell in the deep end of my new pool and didn't know how to swim yet, and almost drowned, but my mom saved me! I was afraid of water for a little bit but i eventually learned to swim.

another time i was in the car with my uncle, and we had a pretty bad head on collision, that was pretty bad too. Thank god i haven't had any while driving yet.

Previous SGM E90 330i (R.I.P.)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #26
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXXIX View Post
thats a crazy story. youre friend got a little crazy there. im dying to know wtf that guy who took your keys was all about haha. so did this change your outlook on life?
oh yea deffinetly. I never took life for too granted but yes it did change me. I didnt't specify but the guy took my friends keys because he thought we were going to drive off. lol like the car would even start. i remmember my friend looking for his phone right after the accident and we found it by the road. Honestly this entire accident happened so quick. It's scary how things can change in a flash. And yes it was entirely his fualt. If anything would have happened to me, i would have killed him myself. My parents thank god were very supportive of me and him. My dad went to meet him because my friend was soo depressed after what he had done, you know getting us both killed, and destroying his first car, to get back up and walk away learning something from this experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #27
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Name:  n792885525_2831588_2302.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  54.0 KB

theres the car when he bought it. This is ofcourse before it got tinted and totalled in the same day/same trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #28
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm just curious. Because I have, about 6 months ago. Did it change you in any sort of way? For example. The way you see life, do you take things for granted less?

sorry for the depressing subject. I would tell you guys my experience but some of you might already know. So i'll save my boring story.

Playon, feel free to let me know if this one is full of fail.
whoa how did i miss this. . .cliff notes?
      12-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #29
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
whoa how did i miss this. . .cliff notes?
cliff notes? i almost died 6 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #30
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
oh yea deffinetly. I never took life for too granted but yes it did change me. I didnt't specify but the guy took my friends keys because he thought we were going to drive off. lol like the car would even start. i remmember my friend looking for his phone right after the accident and we found it by the road. Honestly this entire accident happened so quick. It's scary how things can change in a flash. And yes it was entirely his fualt. If anything would have happened to me, i would have killed him myself. My parents thank god were very supportive of me and him. My dad went to meet him because my friend was soo depressed after what he had done, you know getting us both killed, and destroying his first car, to get back up and walk away learning something from this experience.
You're lucky bro and you also learned that passing two cars is nearly im possible if you don't have a BMW hehe
this time, listen to your parents and don't get a bike j/k
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #31
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Oh this'll be fun...

Back in my 20s/30s I was a fairly active hang glider pilot and competed at the national level (though I was never ranked all that highly). Anyway, like pretty much everyone in that position I have a healthy collection of near death stories. Here's a couple of my favorites:

Lakeview Oregon, US Nationals 1993.

About 20 miles downrange from launch the lift started petering out and the prudent choice would have been to drift safely out away from the mountains and land. But hey, this was the NATS you know. So instead I went deeper into the mountains to milk every scrap of lift in the hope of making goal. And I got stuck. My lift died completely when I was about 5 miles back up a shear walled rocky canyon from any remotely survivable LZ. All I could do was hug the upwind canyon wall, milk my glide and pray. I maxed my glide, stared at the oh so close boulders passing by for the next (and longest) 10 minutes of my life. I made it out of the canyon mouth with about 50 feet to spare.... and was confronted with a power line directly in my path. One final reflexive low altitude wingover put me under the wire and on the deck. The landing itself was uneventful, but after unclipping I just laid down on the ground and shook for a while.

Pine Mountain CA 1995 Pine Mountain Air Races.

It was my 3rd year as Meet Director for the Pine Mountain Air Races and, despite numerous distractions resulting in poor in flight decisions, continued to compete in my own meet. This was the last year I would make that mistake. Conditions were difficult bordering on dangerous. Very high winds approaching 30 mph on launch. I made sure all competitors launched safely then got someone to TWANG me off an hour or so later. By this point the thermal lift had weakened and I was stuck against the ridge only getting a few hundred over. Going over the back at these altitudes in these kinds of winds is a deadly rotor experience so I tried to hunt downrange for lift. Found a piece, lost it, and found myself in deep trouble, far from any survivable LZ (again) and with a long barely makeable glide out (again).

So I milked it and made it out barely (again) to a wide spot on the highway below launch that I'd used as emergency LZ in the past. Only room for one pass to set up on final - only this time I found myself at 20 feet AGL pointed straight at a truck maybe 150 feet away with a closing velocity of about 70 mph. I did the only thing I could and turned sharp right - straight into a stand of trees. No survivable LZ there. My wing clipped a tree and stalled/spun straight down about 15 feet down into the Sespe River. I was a bit dazed by the impact but found myself standing in knee deep water with a broken glider and, as in turned out, a badly injured hand (one of the glider's support wires had damn near sliced off a finger - I later found a bunch of finger meat with the nail still neatly attached in one of my gloves, but that's another story). Anyway, several folks including the truck driver witnessed this little stunt and stopped to effect a rescue. I was at the Emergency Room having my finger stitched up an hour later.

Gee, this is fun. I have lots of these stories, but I'll stop now.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #32
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
Back in my 20s/30s I was a fairly active hang glider pilot and competed at the national level (though I was never ranked all that highly). Anyway, like pretty much everyone in that position I have a healthy collection of near death stories. Here's a couple of my favorites:

Lakeview Oregon, US Nationals 1993.

About 20 miles downrange from launch the lift started petering out and the prudent choice would have been to drift safely out away from the mountains and land. But hey, this was the NATS you know. So instead I went deeper into the mountains to milk every scrap of lift in the hope of making goal. And I got stuck. My lift died completely when I was about 5 miles back up a shear walled rocky canyon from any remotely survivable LZ. All I could do was hug the upwind canyon wall, milk my glide and pray. I maxed my glide, stared at the oh so close boulders passing by for the next (and longest) 10 minutes of my life. I made it out of the canyon mouth with about 50 feet to spare.... and was confronted with a power line directly in my path. One final reflexive low altitude wingover put me under the wire and on the deck. The landing itself was uneventful, but after unclipping I just laid down on the ground and shook for a while.

Pine Mountain CA 1995 Pine Mountain Air Races.

It was my 3rd year as Meet Director for the Pine Mountain Air Races and, despite numerous distractions resulting in poor in flight decisions, continued to compete in my own meet. This was the last year I would make that mistake. Conditions were difficult bordering on dangerous. Very high winds approaching 30 mph on launch. I made sure all competitors launched safely then got someone to TWANG me off an hour or so later. By this point the thermal lift had weakened and I was stuck against the ridge only getting a few hundred over. Going over the back at these altitudes in these kinds of winds is a deadly rotor experience so I tried to hunt downrange for lift. Found a piece, lost it, and found myself in deep trouble, far from any survivable LZ (again) and with a long barely makeable glide out (again).

So I milked it and made it out barely (again) to a wide spot on the highway below launch that I'd used as emergency LZ in the past. Only room for one pass to set up on final - only this time I found myself at 20 feet AGL pointed straight at a truck maybe 150 feet away with a closing velocity of about 70 mph. I did the only thing I could and turned sharp right - straight into a stand of trees. No survivable LZ there. My wing clipped a tree and stalled/spun straight down about 15 feet down into the Sespe River. I was a bit dazed by the impact but found myself standing in knee deep water with a broken glider and, as in turned out, a badly injured hand (one of the glider's support wires had damn near sliced off a finger - I later found a bunch of finger meat with the nail still neatly attached in one of my gloves, but that's another story). Anyway, several folks including the truck driver witnessed this little stunt and stopped to effect a rescue. I was at the Emergency Room having my finger stitched up an hour later.

Gee, this is fun. I have lots of these stories, but I'll stop now.
wow i can picture that so vividly in my mind. glad to hear youre alright!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #33
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

the hang gliding story kinda lost me at some parts...but I got the picture....geez, i'm glad you made it man!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #34
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
you still hang glide? Cuz if you do, . After the accident i felt let down. I felt threatened by cars.(wierd i know). I thought to myself i wont ever feel the same about cars again, recently i joined this forum . I drive, i just dont want to make the same mistake my friend did. I feel bad at times because if when i drive and he might get shotty, i just cant imagine how he feels, knowing that he had his car and he was at one point driving us around. He drives now, but not as much as before. Anyways excuse my rambling.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #35
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
you still hang glide? Cuz if you do, . After the accident i felt let down. I felt threatened by cars.(wierd i know). I thought to myself i wont ever feel the same about cars again, recently i joined this forum . I drive, i just dont want to make the same mistake my friend did. I feel bad at times because if when i drive and he might get shotty, i just cant imagine how he feels, knowing that he had his car and he was at one point driving us around. He drives now, but not as much as before. Anyways excuse my rambling.
It really is somethings like that, that make us think twice about everything we do...but if we live life in the past, we will never be able to see the future, and move on.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #36
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
It really is somethings like that, that make us think twice about everything we do...but if we live life in the past, we will never be able to see the future, and move on.
very true.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #37
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK911Carrera View Post
Hey guys, I am new to this forum but I have been reading it for the past year. I have quite an exciting story to tell, at least it was an exciting moment for me. So I'm cruising at 140 down I-80E in my 335i, note that the governor is off and I have a JB3. So I am traveling and my valentine starts beeping, but before I can slow down to 80MPH I see a cop car and he for sure got me since I was still around 120MPH in a 65 zone. So I slow down to 80 and I see him get out of the center, the place he hides. So I realize I'm going to get a huge ticket if I don't act now. I downshift and hit the pedal to the medal. Cop notices I do this and he starts following, but no way he can catch up. I'm at 160 right now, never went this fast before and my heart starts beating. Everything starts slowing down and it feels like I'm high, not the marijuana high, the heroine high. So I start putting a lot of distance on the cop, but something appears in front of me; it came out of the blue. There were a pack(?) of deer on the road and I am traveling at 160, so I SLAM on the brake. The deer don't move so I am able to maneuver around them, mainly thanks to my car and my crazy driving skills. So I look back and I see that the cop car hit ALL the deer and for some reason his car bursts in flames. Now I was going to go back and help him but I realized that he would probably still give me a ticket. So I was like screw you, and I drove off feeling like a winner. I love my 335i.

-AK

Edit: posted this in my own thread before
LOL, way to go Bruce Willis.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #38
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey guys, I am new to this forum but I have been reading it for the past year. I have quite an exciting story to tell, at least it was an exciting moment for me. So I'm cruising at 140 down I-80E in my 335i, note that the governor is off and I have a JB3. So I am traveling and my valentine starts beeping, but before I can slow down to 80MPH I see a cop car and he for sure got me since I was still around 120MPH in a 65 zone. So I slow down to 80 and I see him get out of the center, the place he hides. So I realize I'm going to get a huge ticket if I don't act now. I downshift and hit the pedal to the medal. Cop notices I do this and he starts following, but no way he can catch up. I'm at 160 right now, never went this fast before and my heart starts beating. Everything starts slowing down and it feels like I'm high, not the marijuana high, the heroine high. So I start putting a lot of distance on the cop, but something appears in front of me; it came out of the blue. There were a pack(?) of deer on the road and I am traveling at 160, so I SLAM on the brake. The deer don't move so I am able to maneuver around them, mainly thanks to my car and my crazy driving skills. So I look back and I see that the cop car hit ALL the deer and for some reason his car bursts in flames. Now I was going to go back and help him but I realized that he would probably still give me a ticket. So I was like screw you, and I drove off feeling like a winner. I love my 335i.

-AK

OH SH*T. . .the troll is back!
      12-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #39
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
OH SH*T. . .the troll is back!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #40
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

Quote:

-AK

DAMMMMMNNN!!!... not sure how thats near death but crazy story

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #41
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
he's a troll -_-
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #42
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
yeah I almost got a heart attack after finding out that Olin Ross Speakers are craps!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:37 PM   #43
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
trolled
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #44
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I just read this article today. I highly recommend it.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/full?id=content_7619

Quote:
THE LONGEST NIGHT
One Easter Sunday, the Alaska Ranger—a fishing boat out of Dutch Harbor—went down in the Bering Sea, 6,000 feet deep and thirty-two degrees cold. Forty-seven people were on board, and nearly half of them would spend hours floating alone in the darkness, in water so frigid it can kill a man in minutes. Forty-two of them would be rescued. Here’s how
Appreciate 0