BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Any of you been through any near-death experience?

I'm just curious. Because I have, about 6 months ago. Did it change you in any sort of way? For example. The way you see life, do you take things for granted less?

sorry for the depressing subject. I would tell you guys my experience but some of you might already know. So i'll save my boring story.

Playon, feel free to let me know if this one is full of fail.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

story time!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
story time!
+1 you cant start a thread like this without sharing first!!!

PLAYON, you can take it from here
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

ok well the story will get here whenever....I think I ALMOST had a few....but not really...

Back when I was like 13-14 yrs old, was in Fort Lauderdale beach watching the Air Show....there was this HUGE vessel that came to the beach and everyone was swimming for it....including stupid ol' me....and I had a grasp on swimming, but not fully....so as most of you know, the beach plateaus off and after a certain distance WHAM! no floor!

So i'm trying to swim back and this lady grabs me and is taking me down with her! I'm yelling for help and all these losers around em can't swim and are trying to take me down! finally I see a life guard come up and grab the lady....I start floating on my back and paddling back....

*phew*...

One driving experience....well two but i'll make them short...

I had just gotten my 07 accord (my brother's now) and I was going down this long straight at night...speed limit is 50-55 can't remember....anyhow it's raining and I was going like 70...there is this long left turn follow by a sudden right turn, and I saw it and unfortunately was not properly trained at the time and did a 360 coming down the 2nd turn over a curb...at that moment, I felt as though time stood still and I figured I'm going to roll into a ditch and crash....maybe even die....I didn't think of anything at the time...but slowed the fk down in my accord after that! no DSC = lose on FWD - but anyhow, nothing happened except a flat tire full of dirt and slighty scraped rim. FORTUNATELY!

2nd incident was with this '94 camaro Z28 - freakin' death traps....same situation but MUCH slower....it was a back road and was just testing it out. some guy left it as collateral and my pops was trying to sell it...so I get it on a back road and from a roll of about 10-15 floor it......car starts sliding all over! I felt as though I was in control since it was rear wheel but was heading to a ditch! luckily I made it back to the road....crazy stuff...me thinking: shit...death trap...i'm gonna die in that ditch!

fortunately...both learning experiences....doing stupid shit -_-

another instance was this one time at band camp........j/k!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

well do you guys really want to hear it?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

I had the "brilliant-white-light floating down a tunnel" thing happen to me right before I was fully knocked out with general anesthesia once. Tell us your story.

Subjects like this, the Supernatural, and the (without a doubt IMO) existence of life on billions of other planets fascinate the hell out of me .
      12-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

haha i got one. kinda ridiculous. when i was like 10 years old we used to put floaty things on the bottom of the slide in the pool and wed slide onto them and itd be "fun"... well one of the floaties was those lifesaver things but it had rope around it. i slid down the slide and my foot got caught in the rope and i was pushed under upside down and i couldnt get unstuck so i was basically drowning until i got a handle of it and managed to free myself. it was pretty stupid, it didnt change me but i stopped doing that

also around that same age, me and my cousin were riding on those razor scooters and out of nowhere this school bus flew by him. he was like an inch away from getting hit. ill never forget that moment, his reaction was scary. he just froze there as the bus flew by, as if he saw a ghost.

yup thats all i have

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXXIX View Post
haha i got one. kinda ridiculous. when i was like 10 years old we used to put floaty things on the bottom of the slide in the pool and wed slide onto them and itd be "fun"... well one of the floaties was those lifesaver things but it had rope around it. i slid down the slide and my foot got caught in the rope and i was pushed under upside down and i couldnt get unstuck so i was basically drowning until i got a handle of it and managed to free myself. it was pretty stupid, it didnt change me but i stopped doing that
No fking clue what you just said.

The razor story was easy to understand, but that??
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc View Post
I had the "brilliant-white-light floating down a tunnel" thing happen to me right before I was fully knocked out with general anesthesia once. Tell us your story.

Subjects like this, the Supernatural, and the (without a doubt IMO) existence of life on billions of other planets fascinate the hell out of me .
You should go play Spore.

yes OP tell the damn story and stop making us wait!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep

Quote:
No fking clue what you just said.

The razor story was easy to understand, but that??
haha sorry...basically i almost drowned in a pool, sliding down a slide and getting caught in a lifesaver

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
haha sorry...basically i almost drowned in a pool, sliding down a slide and getting caught in a lifesaver
oooooo I see...you slid face first?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep

Quote:
oooooo I see...you slid face first?
no feet first. the lifesaver was at the bottom of the slide in the pool. so my foot caught the rope and i flipped upside down in the water (cause you know lifesavers float lol)

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
no feet first. the lifesaver was at the bottom of the slide in the pool. so my foot caught the rope and i flipped upside down in the water (cause you know lifesavers float lol)
ohh I see, caught the rope.....yeah water is deadly....
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Yep....Sorta.

Got hit by an old MBZ 190D (circa 1950's model) while crossing the street on my way to school when I was 10. The guy was going around 35mph did not even see me. I got airborne and span around in the air like leaf for what seemed to be a good few minutes (probably just a split second) and hit the asphalt on my back and slid for what seemed to be a few hundred yards (probably a few feet). My shirt was ripped and my back and shoulder looked like a fruit roll made of skin, blood, dirt and sand.

I was so scared that I got right back up! Nothing was broken but it felt like I was ran over by a tractor (pretty close to it, really). Refused all people trying to call an ambulance or the driver to take me to a hospital. Went to school with pain and headache and then home at the end of the day and did not tell anyone - even my parents. I knew that would be the end of my freedom if I did and I had to be shuttled everywhere. I hid my injured back from everyone for a few weeks until it got better (no dressing in public/ showers, etc.)

Thank god there were no broken bones or internal bleeding. In retrospect, it was quite stupid of me ...but WTF you expect from a cocky 10 year old?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Tondtar you are a VERY lucky person!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #16
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

well here it goes. Me and my friend decided to skip our last class of the day and get in his car hilst he drives and were on our way to Paris(city in ontario) to get his windows tinted. We reached Paris and waited whilst the dude tinted my friends car. After he finished we payed him and left for home. Whilst on our way, we somehow manged to get lost. We finally recognized where we were and took highway 8(a 2 lane road. One lane going and one lane coming).

It was around 5pm and i remmember talking vividly remmember us talking about how life is precious and how this will be our last year before we go our seperate ways to college/university. yes I was and still am 17, and he was 16, now 17. Whilst driving my friend was getting restless driving behind traffic. I told him to calm down and said "were not in a rush man". He did not reply and with 2 cars ahead of us he swerved into the oncoming lane in order to overtake(yes bad move) I remmember telling him "What the fuck are you doing? You'll get us killed!!!". He tried overtaking but no success, he couldn't gain enough speed in order to overtake 2 cars. By that time the car in the oncoming lane is getting closer rapidly. Not able to get back in the correct lane due to cars being behind us and no room to get in, he went on to the oncoming shoulder lane. His steering wheel starts to rattle rapidly due to the GRAVEL. Not able to control the car at that speed, whilst on gravel, we went hard right into the correct lane and smashed into a white sedan, kept going and landed more than 100 feet away from the road in someones backyard(open field to both sides of the road, and a house with no fence closing his backyard.). After who knows how many flips we landed right side up. unconscious for i dont know how long i remmember waking up with my foot outside the window and glass in my hair, whilst my lap full of grass.

i scan my surroundings and find cars lined up to the far left of us and people standing staring at what was left of the vehicle. A guy comes and says to my friend who got around the same time i did, and asks for the keys. yes he asks us for the keys, and not how we were. And leaves us there. Scared and shaking i called my dad who leaves work and rushed to the site. Paramedics and police arrive on the scene in what seemed like ages, and strapped me onto a stretcher(litterally ried me down) and checked my vital signs. In the mean time my dad arrives and i stare directly up towards him whilst he asks me if I'm alright. The paramedics tell my dad to reach at the hospital and ship into the Ambulance. After X-rays, blood tests etc. the doctors tell me "your one lucky guy". Later that night i went home with some bruises and a sore back.

For those of you who'd like to know. The car was an 2002-2006 Acura 1.7 EL. I learned my lesson and am alot more. I remmember before we left to Paris, calling my parents and telling them that im going with my friend, and them not being happy about it. i eventually convinced them. Only to see my mom 4-5 hours later in the hospital, and my dad by my side.

Also, airbags never went off, and thank god we had seatbelts on.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #17
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
Tondtar you are a VERY lucky person!!!
You can say that again ...So what was the question again? lol
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Yep....Sorta.

Got hit by an old MBZ 190D (circa 1950's model) while crossing the street on my way to school when I was 10. The guy was going around 35mph did not even see me. I got airborne and span around in the air like leaf for what seemed to be a good few minutes (probably just a split second) and hit the asphalt on my back and slid for what seemed to be a few hundred yards (probably a few feet). My shirt was ripped and my back and shoulder looked like a fruit roll made of skin, blood, dirt and sand.

I was so scared that I got right back up! Nothing was broken but it felt like I was ran over by a tractor (pretty close to it, really). Refused all people trying to call an ambulance or the driver to take me to a hospital. Went to school with pain and headache and then home at the end of the day and did not tell anyone - even my parents. I knew that would be the end of my freedom if I did and I had to be shuttled everywhere. I hid my injured back from everyone for a few weeks until it got better (no dressing in public/ showers, etc.)

Thank god there were no broken bones or internal bleeding. In retrospect, it was quite stupid of me ...but WTF you expect from a cocky 10 year old?

i guess since you were 10 you werent thinking of being able to sue the guy for compensatory and punitive damages. haha
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #19
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
i guess since you were 10 you werent thinking of being able to sue the guy for compensatory and punitive damages. haha
Yeah, good job! you could've been a millionaire at age 10 yet you chose to suck it up and "be a man" about it! pfft!

damn good thing nothing serious happened, like infection. I have another story to tell you guys...but it won't be until I get back home. Leaving now...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #20
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

I did when i was 6 y/o.

I fell into the pool in winter time and didn't know how to swim. My family was all inside the house and I must've been in the water for awhile. All i remember is being at the bottom and not being able to do anythign about it.

Then my uncle jumped in and saved my ass and gave me CPR. From that day on, i had a fear of swimming or deep waters. Never wanted to swim or go in a lake....it's only been recently (4 years ago) that i've been comfortable with it now. LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
Nope ...besides being 10 and only thinking of getting the hell out of there as soon as I could before anyone I knew see me laying flat on the road, this was not in CA - Not even in this country.

I probably would have gotten a good beating from my Mom for not being more careful even!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #22
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
well here it goes. Me and my friend decided to skip our last class of the day and get in his car hilst he drives and were on our way to Paris(city in ontario) to get his windows tinted. We reached Paris and waited whilst the dude tinted my friends car. After he finished we payed him and left for home. Whilst on our way, we somehow manged to get lost. We finally recognized where we were and took highway 8(a 2 lane road. One lane going and one lane coming).

It was around 5pm and i remmember talking vividly remmember us talking about how life is precious and how this will be our last year before we go our seperate ways to college/university. yes I was and still am 17, and he was 16, now 17. Whilst driving my friend was getting restless driving behind traffic. I told him to calm down and said "were not in a rush man". He did not reply and with 2 cars ahead of us he swerved into the oncoming lane in order to overtake(yes bad move) I remmember telling him "What the fuck are you doing? You'll get us killed!!!". He tried overtaking but no success, he couldn't gain enough speed in order to overtake 2 cars. By that time the car in the oncoming lane is getting closer rapidly. Not able to get back in the correct lane due to cars being behind us and no room to get in, he went on to the oncoming shoulder lane. His steering wheel starts to rattle rapidly due to the GRAVEL. Not able to control the car at that speed, whilst on gravel, we went hard right into the correct lane and smashed into a white sedan, kept going and landed more than 100 feet away from the road in someones backyard(open field to both sides of the road, and a house with no fence closing his backyard.). After who knows how many flips we landed right side up. unconscious for i dont know how long i remmember waking up with my foot outside the window and glass in my hair, whilst my lap full of grass.

i scan my surroundings and find cars lined up to the far left of us and people standing staring at what was left of the vehicle. A guy comes and says to my friend who got around the same time i did, and asks for the keys. yes he asks us for the keys, and not how we were. And leaves us there. Scared and shaking i called my dad who leaves work and rushed to the site. Paramedics and police arrive on the scene in what seemed like ages, and strapped me onto a stretcher(litterally ried me down) and checked my vital signs. In the mean time my dad arrives and i stare directly up towards him whilst he asks me if I'm alright. The paramedics tell my dad to reach at the hospital and ship into the Ambulance. After X-rays, blood tests etc. the doctors tell me "your one lucky guy". Later that night i went home with some bruises and a sore back.

For those of you who'd like to know. The car was an 2002-2006 Acura 1.7 EL. I learned my lesson and am alot more. I remmember before we left to Paris, calling my parents and telling them that im going with my friend, and them not being happy about it. i eventually convinced them. Only to see my mom 4-5 hours later in the hospital, and my dad by my side.

Also, airbags never went off, and thank god we had seatbelts on.

wow that is a crazy story. i'm glad both of you guys made it out w/out serious injuries.
Appreciate 0