BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #23
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

First dirt bike at 6 years old. Last bike was a crotch rocket years ago. Owned 9 different bikes, dirt and street.

Then one day I saw my brother in a scene that looked just like this. A lady ran a stop sign. I was behind him. He was in traction for 3 months.

I put mine down, not near as bad, a week later. Have not been on a bike in yeeeeaaaars. They are no joke is a huge understatement.
Attached Images

12-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #24
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
I just want to ride a good sporty bike, ever since i was a kid.
i think it's safe to say that most guys that post on car forums have wanted the same thing, but it doesn't make it right. you're too young, and you can act as mature as you want to online, but when i was 17, i would have acted like a mental defective on a motorcycle of any power. guys can't help it, most of us enjoy the rush of speed and risk. enjoy das bimmer, it's safer and a lot more fun if you know where to operate it (see sig pic ).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #25
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep
Drives: '21 m3

At least show some beauty!! Not just a crash! Here are my bikes..
08' 1098s...

07 1098...

07 MV Agusta F4...

I love their asses!

If you really can respect the bike, get whatever you want. But in 98% cases, don't say you will be careful. Because at least once a ride you won't be "careful". Also, in my days of riding, I've almost been hit about 100:1 to the amount of times I've almost hit (anything.)

As some have mentioned, take a damn safety course. I had been riding dirt bikes, street bikes, etc before I took the safety course it's amazing at the little things you're taught that really help out. I still think of some of the comments and practices I did in the short two day course. It's also nice to "learn" (in your case) on a small ~250 (max) bike that isn't your own.
      12-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #26
2K5 325i
srsly *****'n!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007/8 TiAg 335i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post
You may have just saved a few lives with that post

BTW, how long did that writeup take?
15-20 mins. But sadly enough it won't matter.

The majority of kids who want to ride motorcycles have their mind made up on what bike, and their heart set. No prior amount of rational thought and convincing will help them and their family through the emotional holocaust that is emergency room visits.

Quote:
wow, thanks for the replies. Well i honestly dont know what to say. I just am soo confused and dont know what to do. Its winter where i live and physically riding anytime before april will be very unlikely. I hear what you guys are saying about the 250CC's but i guess im impatient and dont want to wait for more than one season (pretty much April-September) to actually upgrade. I was hoping to skip the "250" step, but something in the back of my head tells me it might not be the best idea to skip that step. I just want to ride a good sporty bike, ever since i was a kid.
What are you confused about? What do you have questions on?

Listen, you're going to do whatever you're going to do... but one of your mistakes is coming on E90post hoping we would cheer you on on getting a 600cc sportbike for your first. Disgustingly enough, a few members here did. Read and reread my post from page 1. If that doesn't clearly outline why you should get a 250cc sportbike first instead of a 600cc one, then maybe its Darwin's way of showing that you weren't supposed to be here in the first place.

I understand the struggle you are going through, but if you just step back and think about if you had to advise a younger brother of yours, or hell- your own child what to do... does any part of you think 600cc is the better choice?

I think I've made my case.

Good luck OP,
-Chris

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #27
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
i think it's safe to say that most guys that post on car forums have wanted the same thing, but it doesn't make it right. you're too young, and you can act as mature as you want to online, but when i was 17, i would have acted like a mental defective on a motorcycle of any power. guys can't help it, most of us enjoy the rush of speed and risk. enjoy das bimmer, it's safer and a lot more fun if you know where to operate it (see sig pic ).
Thing is i cheated death about 6 months ago when i was with a friend in his car and he tried to overtake a car(1 lane only) and there was a car coming from ahead so due to not being able to get back in the lane since there were cars infront and behind he went in the oncoming shoulder lane, which was gravel. Next thing you know he lost control and we hit a car in the original lane and flipped over who knows how many times, and landed by someones back yard(open field by the road). Ever since then i get scared of going real fast. Doctors said they dont know how me and my buddy are still alive considering we walked out with only aching feet and backs.

PS: Airbags didnt even go off. And cars totalled.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #28
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K5 325i View Post

The majority of kids who want to ride motorcycles have their mind made up on what bike, and their heart set. No prior amount of rational thought and convincing will help them and their family through the emotional holocaust that is emergency room visits.

Listen, you're going to do whatever you're going to do... but one of your mistakes is coming on E90post hoping we would cheer you on on getting a 600cc sportbike for your first. Disgustingly enough, a few members here did. Read and reread my post from page 1. If that doesn't clearly outline why you should get a 250cc sportbike first instead of a 600cc one, then maybe its Darwin's way of showing that you weren't supposed to be here in the first place.

I understand the struggle you are going through, but if you just step back and think about if you had to advise a younger brother of yours, or hell- your own child what to do... does any part of you think 600cc is the better choice?

Good luck OP,
-Chris
:hi: Chris, long time no chat.

Good posts. :thumbup:
      12-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #29
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep

Quote:
Thing is i cheated death about 6 months ago when i was with a friend in his car and he tried to overtake a car(1 lane only) and there was a car coming from ahead so due to not being able to get back in the lane since there were cars infront and behind he went in the oncoming shoulder lane, which was gravel. Next thing you know he lost control and we hit a car in the original lane and flipped over who knows how many times, and landed by someones back yard(open field by the road). Ever since then i get scared of going real fast. Doctors said they dont know how me and my buddy are still alive considering we walked out with only aching feet and backs.

PS: Airbags didnt even go off. And cars totalled.
Don't be his friend IF you decide to get any type of bike.
      12-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #30
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K5 325i View Post

Listen, you're going to do whatever you're going to do... but one of your mistakes is coming on E90post hoping we would cheer you on on getting a 600cc sportbike for your first. Disgustingly enough a few members here did. Read and reread my post from page 1. If that doesn't clearly outline why you should get a 250cc sportbike first instead of a 600cc one, then maybe its Darwin's way of showing that you weren't supposed to be here in the first place.

Good luck OP,
-Chris
sorry for not replying to your original post. I did read it over and what you said is comepletely true. I didnt come to get cheered on or even have someone feel sympathetic towards me. I made this thread so the people who love the same thing i do can knock some sense into me. And you sir i think might have done it. it just doesnt help seeing bikes like Mpower's bikes(pure sex) on here. They just make me revert to my original decision. I'm sorry, i'm too naive.

by the way mpower, i absolutely love your agusta and 1098
its just that my emotions and love for things take over me.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #31
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep

I long for this..

doesn't mean I'm going to go out and buy it though.
      12-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #32
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
I long for this..

doesn't mean I'm going to go out and buy it though.
thats the thing. bikes are the total opposite. They are inexpensive unlike that.

i think of it like this, if it takes 10 thousand bucks to fulfill one of my childhood dreams then i personally think its worth it. Feel free to kick me or flame me for using such logic.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #33
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep

Quote:
thats the thing. bikes are the total opposite. They are inexpensive unlike that.

i think of it like this, if it takes 10 thousand bucks to fulfill one of my childhood dreams then i personally think its worth it. Feel free to kick me or flame me for using such logic.
My insurance on one bike alone is 2200 dollars. :rofl: It'll start adding up.

Childhood dreams? You've got your whole life to own a bike. What's the point at owning one at 17/18? And those that know me, yes I know I'm being a total hypocrite here. But in this case it's needed.
      12-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #34
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:

Childhood dreams? You've got your whole life to own a bike. What's the point at owning one at 17/18? And those that know me, yes I know I'm being a total hypocrite here. But in this case it's needed.
I envy you (no homo). You have(had) the sickest M3. You have the sickest bike. You have sick photog skills. Your dad has a Z06.

*EDIT* And I've just noticed you get to go snowboarding?! Damn you!!

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #35
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
I envy you (no homo). You have(had) the sickest M3. You have the sickest bike. Your dad has a Z06.

Ha... thanks..

Random, are you really located in Plano? If so i've got to send you a PM.
      12-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #36
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I know that when i get older, bikes will take the back seat in a space shuttle to Mars. I know for a fact that i will not have enough time or hell even the balls to go and try to get on one. Not to mention if i get settled down, i cant imagine me even contemplating one. i love talking bikes even though i know nothing about them. I have a program that changes wallpapers every minute and guess what, 70 out of 100 are pictures of bikes whilst the rest are m3's. I am sick and tired of putting my love for things in the back seat. I have done that many times to a lesser extent.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #37
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep

Quote:
I know that when i get older, bikes will take the back seat in a space shuttle to Mars. I know for a fact that i will not have enough time or hell even the balls to go and try to get on one. Not to mention if i get settled down, i cant imagine me even contemplating one. i love talking bikes even though i know nothing about them. I have a program that changes wallpapers every minute and guess what, 70 out of 100 are pictures of bikes whilst the rest are m3's. I am sick and tired of putting my love for things in the back seat. I have done that many times to a lesser extent.
You won't have but a casket if you go about this the wrong way though. It's not like buying a mod. You can't splurge on something because you REALLY LOVE it.

I'm certainly not in the thread to talk you out of it. I bought my first bike at 18. Ducati 999. I've never layed a bike down, never had a ticket, accident nothing. But guess what, I still don't agree with it. And I've had too many friends who haven't been as lucky as myself.

If it's what you really want, then I'M not here to stop you, rather, like the many great points many have said, especially Chris, it's not a smart thing to do. Get through college, then you're still young, most likely not settled down and you'll be able to balance the "fun" life with "real" life.
      12-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #38
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You won't have but a casket if you go about this the wrong way though. It's not like buying a mod. You can't splurge on something because you REALLY LOVE it.

I'm certainly not in the thread to talk you out of it. I bought my first bike at 18. Ducati 999. I've never layed a bike down, never had a ticket, accident nothing. But guess what, I still don't agree with it. And I've had too many friends who haven't been as lucky as myself.

If it's what you really want, then I'M not here to stop you, rather, like the many great points many have said, especially Chris, it's not a smart thing to do. Get through college, then you're still young, most likely not settled down and you'll be able to balance the "fun" life with "real" life.
you and chris honestly keep owning me one after another. I will keep you guys posted on my decision. Support group FTW!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #39
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I love motorcycles and rode for years. That said, NO ONE under 25 is mature and experienced enough for a fast street bike, period. Even 25 is pushing it...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #40
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Hey how much was your Agusta? My friend has the Tamburini in Black/Red and he wont tell me what he paid for it
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #41
2K5 325i
srsly *****'n!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007/8 TiAg 335i 'Vert

Quote:
:hi: Chris, long time no chat.

Good posts. :thumbup:
Good to see ya 'round!

We have some chatting to do! (snowboarding related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
I envy you (no homo). You have(had) the sickest M3. You have the sickest bike. You have sick photog skills.
Hah... I too envy him, but enough ego inflation for one thread! I'm down to be as baller at Curtis at this young of an age... but sitting, waiting, watching, and wishing doesn't get you very far.

[/threadjack],
-Chris

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #42
BMWdmk
*Rollin 3rd*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something fast

honestly

next best thing is a vert
get an e93 m3
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #43
rpcannibus
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i w/Dinan Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Start with a 600 its a great bike to learn on. If you get a 250 or a 500 you will learn yes but you will be sick of the bike in about 2 months and looking for an upgrade. Anyway once you learn throttle control your golden and always ride defensively. When I got my first bike I told myself that I would never try any tricks. But after I got it 3 months later I couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground. Its fun to do tricks but only after you are comfortable with the bike and yourself as a rider. Don't let anybody talk you into riding out of your skill level thats how you get hurt. You are gonna fall but its all part of riding and it makes you a better rider trust me. I can ride a stand up wheelie for as long as the road is straight, but you don't learn it over night.
+1!!!!!

I just started riding myself and I got a 08 yamaha R6 for my first bike back in May of this year...
2008 BMW 335I Coupe| Jet Black on Coral Red/black Dakota Leather | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Active Steering | Comfort Access | Front Heated Seats | Park Distance Control | ETA November 12th. | Arrived on November 13th 2007. | Lemoned February 12th 2010
Dinan Stage 2 Performance Engine Software. | Vorsteiner VRS Aero Boot Lid. | Vorsteiner V-35 Hood | H&R Sport Springs | H&R Rear Sway Bar
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #44
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcannibus View Post
+1!!!!!

I just started riding myself and I got a 08 yamaha R6 for my first bike back in May of this year...
and your still alive?
Appreciate 0