BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #23
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
What does a 2040 equate to according to the old SATs? I got an 1140 on the 1600 scale, which sucked, but I could never finish reading the English part and always got bent over.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #24
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
What does a 2040 equate to according to the old SATs? I got an 1140 on the 1600 scale, which sucked, but I could never finish reading the English part and always got bent over.
2040 is out of 2400 I believe, so it would be around 1360 on the old scale.
      12-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #25
jkwhat
Private
Rep
Drives: 750LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
???

A few years ago they added a writing section (tests grammer, you write an essay, they score it). So the total possible score went from 1600 to 2400. Since it's a recent addition, lots of schools don't even bother considering the writing portion as they feel it's still in the "experimental" stage.

Oh and thanks boosted for the econ help a little while back if you never got back to my response
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #26
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshrek88 View Post
Similar to cheating, no one cares how you got in. Do people ask how did you get a 4.0? or how did you get into Yale? DO THEY? Cuz no one I know ever asks that stuff or cares...they just assume that you're smart. Help along your academic career is great, similarly how most people find jobs through friends. Is that cheating? I don't really know but you still got the job and as long as your prove yourself its fine. I'm sure half of Harvard and Yale has paid their way in; I wouldn't expect any less. Or preferential treatment for scions...These comments aren't in any way negative; their truthful.

Goodluck, are you applying as a freshmen or a transfer?
Applying as a freshman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Best of luck to you... I hope you get in if that's what you want.

3.6 weighted... pfft... I got you beat... 3.94 GPA at LIU.
thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhat View Post
Good luck, I am applying to NYU as well this year. What really blows for our the 09 graduates this year is that we have a record high of students attending public schools across the nation. This means that we're gonna have larger competition than ever before.
I don't know what to assume from your GPA as NYU takes into account AP and IB courses and the overall difficulty of all of your classes but do you mind telling me what hooks you have? They put a large emphasis on leadership positions in clubs instead of having a laundry list of clubs you sporadically visit.
Do you mind if I ask for your verbal + math SAT and your SAT II scores?
What do you consider NYU Stern to be for you? A Reach? A Safety? I can't determine it alone based on gpa and SAT. How were your recs?
I believe my pulls are that my father is an established, successful business man (however, they don't take into account financial standing during the decision process), I am president of my school's Future Business Leaders of America club (100+ registered members), I am an established beatboxer, I attend the school rated by Newsweek as the top school in the nation (thomas jefferson high school), 4 years of football (we made playoffs this year, cocaptain), 4 years of crew (national champions 2 years ago). My GPA was 3.2 freshman year, 3.6 sophomore year, 3.3 junior year (but this was unavoidable as my parents left for China for a little over a month and I had to live at my aunts house so I had to take care of my brother who has ADHD and was failing all of his classes, and my cousin i was living with was a varsity cheerleader and had her good looking friends roaming the house 24/7) and I have exactly a 4.0 so far senior year (and it is prolly going to be that at end of the semester). I am applying to stern as well. If we both got in who knows, we could have organize a car fanatic club there that has it's own cars and coffee meets =).

Oh and sorry if i sound like a douchebag bragger or something, Im generally not like this but I am doing my commonapps/essays right now so I have fresh in my mind everything that I've done at school.

P.S. from what a friend who attends NYU has told me, they put extreme emphasis on community work and for this reason I had included the fact that I volunteered at chimes, a place that helps mentally challenged people with independent living and was cocaptain of my March of Dimes team at my school that raised couple thousand dollars (the organization fights premature births and it was personal for me as my cousin's family [the one I lived at] had twins that died premature, and both of my cousins of that family were both born extremely early).

Good Luck. Let me know how the results go. Want to tell me what other colleges you applied to? Sucks a dick we have to wait so long
Sounds like you're a solid applicant! I'll try to condense my resume:

Student Government President - 3 years
JV Football co-captain - 1 year
Varsity Capatain - 2 years
Key club member - 2 years
Habitat for humainty member - 4 years
Biodeiversity member - 2 years

200+ hours of community service (150 required by IB but I've kept on going)

Full IB Diploma candidate

My recommendation was written by a teacher who won Disney's best teacher in America award last year (one recc, least..the other 2 were written by other teachers)

I feel like my writing for all 4 supplemental questions was strong, considering it took 4 revisions from the original draft to reach the point where I was satisfied, as well as my teachers.

If worst comes to worst, I'll try to transfer in next year

but hopefully it wont come to that for either of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e90 View Post
good luck man, ill cross my fingers for you
Thanks a lot man
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #27
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Lol that's exactly what I got: 670 CR and 690 M
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #28
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

By the way, ballerboy, morality and business don't mix. But I know you'll learn as you mature.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #29
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post
By the way, ballerboy, morality and business don't mix. But I know you'll learn as you mature.
Alright, thanks. I guess thats something to learn in the future. I don't think not knowing that in your teens classifies as being naive. If you understood it at my age, more power to you, but I have no real experience telling me that. I am in no way a self righteous kid wanting to be a "hippie" in the modern day, it's just something I haven't learned at this point in my life.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #30
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Why does his dad have to give a donation to get him in? He wants to try to get in on his own merit. If he does get in, then great. If he doesn't, then that is why he should apply to other schools as well. He will find out where he is meant to be, and not where his father can place him.
Appreciate 0