BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #23
AdamJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you live in the right area, there are Tag outlets that will save you ~$1000 under MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #24
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
For some reason whenever someone posts here about wanting a nice watch, the assumption is that he drives a BMW, but also lives in a trailer park, paycheck to paycheck by paying the minimum on his maxed out credit cards. Why is that? Why the assumption that someone wanting a nice watch can't actually afford one, or his cashing out his 401k for it? Especially on a forum devoted to BMWs? When someone posts he's just bought a $60k car we don't call his financial acumen into question. It's quite odd.
Cars do something, watches dont.

A $15k car is in no way comparable to a $60k car. On the other hand, a $50 watch is entirely comparable to a $5,000 watch; once you strip away the meaningless, pretentious, glittering generality that comes with high-end watches, such as "presitgious", "elegant", "sophisticated", etc. all watches are the exact same.

Its just easier to justify and understand spending extra money for a needlessy expensive car than it is for spending money on a needlessly expensive watch. This is why no one calls someones judgement into question when they purchase an expensive car. Also, uh, this is a car forum. Im sure the exact opposite holds true on some watch forums; people clueless as to why anyone would spend $60k+ on a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #25
chris_1001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suareezay View Post

A $15k car is in no way comparable to a $60k car. On the other hand, a $50 watch is entirely comparable to a $5,000 watch; once you strip away the meaningless, pretentious, glittering generality that comes with high-end watches, such as "presitgious", "elegant", "sophisticated", etc. all watches are the exact same.

Its just easier to justify and understand spending extra money for a needlessy expensive car than it is for spending money on a needlessly expensive watch. This is why no one calls someones judgement into question when they purchase an expensive car. Also, uh, this is a car forum. Im sure the exact opposite holds true on some watch forums; people clueless as to why anyone would spend $60k+ on a car.
My 7-8 year old used Rolex Sub is worth more than I paid for it. But I will say most watches like cars depreciate the second you leave the store.

If I was going to do a business deal with a guy with a $25-100 plastic casio, I'd be a bit nervous... Either he's cheap, broke, bad with money or could care less about his appearance. Just like if he was wearing a suit from wal-mart...

Nothing wrong with being frugal, but come on, try a little harder to look like you're someone who is successful and care about your presence.

I mean, I would not take financial advice from a person in a Yaris and sporting a g-shock...
      08-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #26
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_1001 View Post
Either he's cheap, broke, bad with money or could care less about his appearance. Just like if he was wearing a suit from wal-mart...
or maybe hes just not a pretentious toolbag who buys expensive things to impress people?

9 times out of 10 the guy with the Omega is more in debt and is worth less than the guy with no watch at all. Yes, I pulled that number out of the air, but statistically speaking, most people who buy outrageous crap like this are maxing out one credit card to pay off another. Speaks volumes for these showy peoples ability to handle money well.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #27
chris_1001
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
or maybe hes just not a pretentious toolbag who buys expensive things to impress people?

9 times out of 10 the guy with the Omega is more in debt and is worth less than the guy with no watch at all. Yes, I pulled that number out of the air, but statistically speaking, most people who buy outrageous crap like this are maxing out one credit card to pay off another. Speaks volumes for these showy peoples ability to handle money well.
Wow, you have some strong feelings about people with nice watches... You make it sound like having a nice watch is irresponsible...

So the guy with the modded (or un-modded) BMW is always 100% solvent?

What's on your wrist?

I like nice things, and I could care less if you (or anyone else) knows its nice or not. I bought my car and watch for me.
      08-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #28
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Wow, you have some strong feelings about people with nice watches... You make it sound like having a nice watch is irresponsible...
One, he doesn't sound like he knows much about watches. If you don't know anything about cars, paying for a BMW seems like a waste. If you don't know anything about watches, paying for a TAG seems like a waste. Again, what's weird is that people here not only don't know there's a difference, they refuse to believe a difference exists. Like all watches come from the same factory, and some they stamp Rolex and some they stamp Timex, no difference.

Two, he definitely seems to have personal issues with someone that wears a nice watch.

Quote:
but statistically speaking, most people who buy outrageous crap like this are maxing out one credit card to pay off another.
When you use the phrase "statistically speaking," you're actually supposed to have some statistics. What's pretty clear is you have no real basis for your opinion, strongly held though it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #29
AdamJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

A $15k car gets you from point A to point B the same as a $250k Ferrari. Nice watches appreciate in value opposed to cars that drastically depreciate. If you don't "get it" - fine, stay out of the thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #30
cas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CV

anyone own a SINN watch? looking at SINN 6026
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #31
Sh0cker
n00b
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
If you live in the right area, there are Tag outlets that will save you ~$1000 under MSRP.
True, although they don't have the popular models at the factory stores. Most AD's will knock up to 20% off the price if you know to ask. Then there's the gray market if you're feeling brave.

I have a Tag (quartz, my knockaround) and a Baume and Mercier (auto) and both were 20% off. I get compliments on both.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #32
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So the guy with the modded (or un-modded) BMW is always 100% solvent?

What's on your wrist?

I like nice things, and I could care less if you (or anyone else) knows its nice or not. I bought my car and watch for me.
no not at all, but judging someones financial worth by appearance or what theyre wearing is retarded.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #33
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
One, he doesn't sound like he knows much about watches. If you don't know anything about cars, paying for a BMW seems like a waste. If you don't know anything about watches, paying for a TAG seems like a waste.
i already said this.

Quote:
Again, what's weird is that people here not only don't know there's a difference, they refuse to believe a difference exists. Like all watches come from the same factory, and some they stamp Rolex and some they stamp Timex, no difference.
nope. no difference.

Quote:
Two, he definitely seems to have personal issues with someone that wears a nice watch.
no.

Quote:
When you use the phrase "statistically speaking," you're actually supposed to have some statistics. What's pretty clear is you have no real basis for your opinion, strongly held though it is.
im sure i could dig up some links but I cant be bothered.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #34
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
A $15k car gets you from point A to point B the same as a $250k Ferrari. Nice watches appreciate in value opposed to cars that drastically depreciate. If you don't "get it" - fine, stay out of the thread.
Dont be stupid. Thats missing the point entirely. Acceleration, ride/handling characterisitcs, the sound of the engine, interior ergonomics, safety features etc, etc, etc would all be drastically different between the two cars, generally speaking. These are concrete, substantial, observable, measurable differences between cars in these price points. You actually get something when you buy an expensive car; for the most part, anyway.

Not all watches appreciate. For the expensive ones that dont, there is no measureable. meaningful advantage to buying one over a less expensive one, despite how people may convince themselves otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #35
chris_1001
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
no not at all, but judging someones financial worth by appearance or what theyre wearing is retarded.
errr but you did too...

Quote:
My point is that a watch can make a statement about yourself. I think that plastic watches look bad with nice suits...

I have a nice Seiko dive watch (automatic) that I paid $125 new for on Ebay looks great!!! I bought it as a beater watch, but it's too nice... I even get 100:1 more comments on it than the Rolex.

I'm still curious as to what is on your wrist
      08-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #36
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
errr but you did too...

My point is that a watch can make a statement about yourself. I think that plastic watches look bad with nice suits...

I have a nice Seiko dive watch (automatic) that I paid $125 new for on Ebay looks great!!! I bought it as a beater watch, but it's too nice... I even get 100:1 more comments on it than the Rolex.

I'm still curious as to what is on your wrist
but mine was an obvious exaggeration.

and obviously a suit would look ridiculous with anything but a metal or leather banded watch. im not anti watches, i just see zero justifiable reason to buy an insanely expensive watch other than to make yourself feel better, which i guess is a good a reason as any, but not one that doesn it for me.

i dont wear a watch. im shopping around for a cheapie though, probably a Toy Watch.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #37
chris_1001
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dont be stupid. Thats missing the point entirely. Acceleration, ride/handling characterisitcs, the sound of the engine, interior ergonomics, safety features etc, etc, etc would all be drastically different between the two cars, generally speaking. These are concrete, substantial, observable, measurable differences between cars in these price points. You actually get something when you buy an expensive car; for the most part, anyway.

Not all watches appreciate. For the expensive ones that dont, there is no measureable. meaningful advantage to buying one over a less expensive one, despite how people may convince themselves otherwise.
True, most watches loose 50%. I know many places that will discount 30-40% off MSRP. Some knock off 10-20% without asking.

I will 100% agree a Rolex (sub) is a $750 watch selling for $4500, but it's one of the few that will appreciate.

So a $65K BMW m3 vs a $300K Ferrari is worth the $235K difference due to the huge (sarcasm) performance/sound/feel difference
      08-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #38
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taittinger View Post
And what will that $10K get you in 20 years time, given inflation, devaluation of currency, asteroid strike and what not?
haha!

These comments coming from somebody who drives a BMW

Get a nice watch, it's the gift to yourself that keeps on giving. I've been wearing the same TAG link watch for almost 10 years now, looks and runs just like the day I got it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #39
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, most watches loose 50%. I know many places that will discount 30-40% off MSRP. Some knock off 10-20% without asking.

I will 100% agree a Rolex (sub) is a $750 watch selling for $4500, but it's one of the few that will appreciate.

So a $65K BMW m3 vs a $300K Ferrari is worth the $235K difference due to the huge (sarcasm) performance/sound/feel difference
ferrari? no.

lambo? yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #40
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

I'm a fan of Movado. It isn't obscenely expensive, and I think they are pretty classy looking. And last I checked, they sell some automatic models.

(Edit: I point out the price mostly because I think they are good price for what you get, and also because they aren't so expensive that I'm afraid to wear it to work)

As for the watch haters, I find it absurd that they would have the gall to tell someone else what to do with their money. It's sad what jealousy brings out in people. How do you justify your BMW over a Honda, yet don't allow the same logic to apply to a watch?

Besides, since when does jewelry have to make sense? My wife's diamond earrings and wedding band wouldn't cost more than the cubic zirconia if not for the Debeers cartel. But she likes the way diamonds look, so I buy them for her, and nice watches for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #41
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

To quote Willy Wonka "Scratch that. Reverse it."

Quote:
Dont be stupid. Thats missing the point entirely. There are concrete, substantial, observable, measurable differences between watches in these price points. You actually get something when you buy an expensive watch; for the most part, anyway.

Not all cars appreciate. For the expensive ones that dont, there is no measureable, meaningful advantage to buying one over a less expensive one, despite how people may convince themselves otherwise.
You're a stubborn, ignorant hypocrite, and there's not much point in discussing this further with you.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #42
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:

and obviously a suit would look ridiculous with anything but a metal or leather banded watch. im not anti watches, i just see zero justifiable reason to buy an insanely expensive watch other than to make yourself feel better, which i guess is a good a reason as any, but not one that doesn it for me.

i dont wear a watch. im shopping around for a cheapie though, probably a Toy Watch.

ignorance is bliss i guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #43
AdamJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Clearly you do not understand the craftsmanship of a nice watch. Much like the auto industry, there are the Hondas (Seiko/Casio/etc) and the BMWs (Rolex/Brietling/Tag/etc). You mock my comparison and then use the same logic in your next sentence. Not everyone sees the value in a BMW - they just want to get from Point A to Point B. Similarly, some people don't see the value in a nicely made watch, they just want to know what time it is. A high end watch is not a mass produced hunk of plastic, it's a finely made piece of jewelry. Both a cheap car and a cheap watch serve the same purpose in the end, but are not as elegant and charismatic while doing it as their more expensive counterpart. If you cannot understand this then you are even more foolish than I thought. Now please stop trolling this thread as you clearly have no interest in its topic.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #44
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:

Toy Watch watches are the ugliest watches to hit the market in decades!!! I can't understand why people wear them and what they're big in some places. They look like dollar store watches and they charge hundreds to over a thousand dollars for these ugly watches?!?
Appreciate 0