BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #67
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Ok... so I guess you don't have a use case for an EV.
Correct. Winter range is problematic. I can't charge at work. And every gas station on the east coast has roofs over the pumps, so I never get wet recharging my ICE. A two minute walk in the rain a few days a week in April and October, I'll pass on.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #68
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

What do you guys do if there's a power outtage?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 09:58 AM   #69
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Correct. Winter range is problematic. I can't charge at work. And every gas station on the east coast has roofs over the pumps, so I never get wet recharging my ICE. A two minute walk in the rain a few days a week in April and October, I'll pass on.
I personally would not own an EV if I could not charge it at home in my garage. I know there's people out there (I see them in the Model 3 groups) who live in apartments and what not and only charge at public charges. That's not for me. I would take ICE all day if I had to do that. But charging at home is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
What do you do when the gas stations run out of gas or have lines around the block?

1. Hope you have enough juice to go where you want or to get somewhere with power.

2. Have another vehicle.

3. Stay home.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615467.50
Efthreeoh17385.50
      08-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #70
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
Ahh I see.

I just know that I got a $400 a month chunk of money leftover each month once I switched to the EV
In all seriousness though, you bought a $40,000 car to save $400/month in fuel. If anyone would like to drop his monthly fuel cost (mine is easily $400/month) it would be me. Since 2013 or so I've been running the cost scenarios on adopting EV, first with the Model S, which was the only long-range EV available at the time. Even at the lowest price of around $75K, it was not less expensive in monthly operating cost than a nicely trimmed new BMW 3-series. IIRC gasoline price had to get over $6 per gallon to break even, or the EV MSRP had to get down to $35,000. At one point I considered the Volt, but it didn't really fit my use case.

As time progressed the "$35K" Model 3 and the "$38K" Bolt, were coming on the market. Well the Model came out first at $50K and the Bolt was an urban Man Bun car; it drove great though. The original i3 was seriously lacking in range. The Model 3 has come down in price where it might mathematically work out and probably has the winter range with some spare capacity, but it is so goddamned ugly and the UI is just stupid; I just can't in good conscious be seen in it (and trust me I have no reason to be vane - LOL), I do though, have to retain my dignity.

The new Mustang Mach E is really close to a desirable EV. It actually has some style inside and out. The California 1 model has the range with just RWD, and the price comes in with Federal rebate around $43K. Gas now at nearly $4/gal where I live, it probably works out mathematically. Only problem now is I'm 4 years out from hanging up the cleats and my E90 seems to not want to die. So buying an EV to drive to work, makes no sense at this point. Keeping the several aged, high-mileage BMWs I now rotate daily makes the best economic sense, which gets back to my point of cost-per-mile.

Apologies for the long post.
I don't know about 40k….

I paid 16k cash. No fuel. Free fast charging at 4 locations less than a mile away. Or at home.
Instead of paying 16k for a gas powered vehicle and driving 80 miles a day filling up 2x a week

to save $400/ month in fuel..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615467.50
      08-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #71
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
What do you do when the gas stations run out of gas or have lines around the block?
Stomp my feet and complain and wish death upon people topping off every vehicle that requires gasoline, including boats.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #72
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Siphon gas out of the neighbor's car to run our generator. The welder outlet in the garage that our L2 charger is plugged into is the same plug as on our generators.

Funny coincidence is that the latest EV charging interface specs include provisions to back-feed the vehicle's battery into your house as a standby/emergency power source.....
      08-28-2021, 11:02 AM   #73
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about 40k….

I paid 16k cash. No fuel. Free fast charging at 4 locations less than a mile away. Or at home.
Instead of paying 16k for a gas powered vehicle and driving 80 miles a day filling up 2x a week

Buy used is a different equation that works for both ICE and EV.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 11:05 AM   #74
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
I own a 1999 BMW K1200RS sport touring motorcycle. I'll say this right now.
Out of all the bikes I've owned, the BMW rides perfectly balanced and handling is superior.

It's a ballistic missile. 1200 CCs is a ton of bike, but it didn't scare me until I decided to act like an idiot and speed to see what it was like.

145 MPH was almost perfect as I could not tell how fast I was going till I looked down. It was smooth, an absolute time warp.
"1200CCs is just... right" said Goldilocks. Above 160 Kph, they are super smooth.
Attachment 2682908

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
vreihen1615467.50
      08-28-2021, 11:06 AM   #75
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know about 40k….

:

I'm going Sesame Street.
16k gas powered vehicle I was looking at and my daily travel =$400/month gas.
16k EV left me with $400 cash to get my bike upgraded. :

I'm actually off the the mechanic right now to drop it off for upgrades

Feels goooooood!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17385.50
vreihen1615467.50
      08-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #76
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I personally would not own an EV if I could not charge it at home in my garage. I know there's people out there (I see them in the Model 3 groups) who live in apartments and what not and only charge at public charges. That's not for me. I would take ICE all day if I had to do that. But charging at home is awesome.

1. Hope you have enough juice to go where you want or to get somewhere with power.

2. Have another vehicle.

3. Stay home.
That's the rub. Only about 50% of the US population has a private home that an EV charging station can be installed. 100% of the population can recharge ICE in 5 minutes at a gas station.

I have a friend that just bought a Model Y and he has used it to travel from Northern Virginia to Southern Virginia and North Carolina about 5 times now. He said the best routine is to drive about 150 miles or so between Tesla super chargers. That methodology is better because the charge rate for starting with a 1/2 full battery is faster than a 1/4 full battery. It makes sense to me from an engineering perspective and he sees no detriment vs. travelling with ICE. He also loves the Tesla apps that reroute him to avoid traffic jams. He's happy as all get out with it.

But as we've seen, even some people with home charging access still have a better use case with ICE; I am one.
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      08-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #77
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Quote:
I own a 1999 BMW K1200RS sport touring motorcycle. I'll say this right now.
Out of all the bikes I've owned, the BMW rides perfectly balanced and handling is superior.

It's a ballistic missile. 1200 CCs is a ton of bike, but it didn't scare me until I decided to act like an idiot and speed to see what it was like.

145 MPH was almost perfect as I could not tell how fast I was going till I looked down. It was smooth, an absolute time warp.
"1200CCs is just... right" said Goldilocks. Above 160 Kph, they are super smooth.
Attachment 2682908
So smooth!
I learned

Respect the power of a motorcycle or wake up dead very quick!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
vreihen1615467.50
Lady Jane71541.00
      08-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #78
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Ummmm... so.... parking your car in your garage as you do every day, but then taking the extra step of sticking the power plug hanging on garage wall into the power port of the car makes this a huge PITA.

But having to DRIVE to a gas station, taking out your wallet, entering all the crap the machine asks for, standing there for a few minutes while it pumps, hopefully it's not one of those whacked ones that pump so slow it's like its pumping honey, putting it all back, getting back in the car and then driving home. That's on a good day. On a bad day when there is news of a storm in fucking Africa hopefully I already have a full tank because then you can add waiting in line to the list.... yeah.... you're right.... that's easier than plugin in a plug.
No.

No one drives to a gas station, you stop in on a regular drive like a normal person. And you do it what, once a week vs 7 days a week plugging int he EV.

With a really roomy garage maybe i can say it is even stevens but as soon as you are running a cord or whatever, just a massive pain in the arse.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17385.50
      08-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #79
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The math on a used EV purchase needs to consider that the $7,500 federal rebate and most state EV incentives do not apply to used cars.

I took the same route with my i3, getting a lease return where someone else took the depreciation beating...for $14K...with 14,900 miles on the odometer...and 1.5 years of the original BMW factory warranty remaining. No way could I pass up this kind of deal for a carbon fiber car.....
      08-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #80
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:
Ummmm... so.... parking your car in your garage as you do every day, but then taking the extra step of sticking the power plug hanging on garage wall into the power port of the car makes this a huge PITA.

But having to DRIVE to a gas station, taking out your wallet, entering all the crap the machine asks for, standing there for a few minutes while it pumps, hopefully it's not one of those whacked ones that pump so slow it's like its pumping honey, putting it all back, getting back in the car and then driving home. That's on a good day. On a bad day when there is news of a storm in fucking Africa hopefully I already have a full tank because then you can add waiting in line to the list.... yeah.... you're right.... that's easier than plugin in a plug.
No.

No one drives to a gas station, you stop in on a regular drive like a normal person. And you do it what, once a week vs 7 days a week plugging int he EV.

With a really roomy garage maybe i can say it is even stevens but as soon as you are running a cord or whatever, just a massive pain in the arse.
From my experience actually owning an EV for 3 months.

THE GOOD
Charging at home is Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

Can go without charging every 3 days.
80% of charging is free at work.
"Special parking" at shopping centers. My used car has ZERO dings.

I leave work with a "full tank of FREE gas".
Round trip in my Dakota guzzles 1/4 out of 25 gal tank.
COVID lockdown/WFH left me with $400 plus /month cash in hand… WELL GOT DAMN….not going back to gas guzzler just to get to work. I saved $7200 GAS CASH during lockdown and put the other half on the i3.

Looow maintenance. Don't really use the brakes! Regen coast to stop car. I thought it was a crock of sh*t but it works.

I GOT MY 1st BMW and love it!

THE PITAs
Oh the PITAs…..
Learning not to use the brakes, coasting to stop and charge. Sucked for 3 weeks.

Forgetting to charge. That REX was there and worked!

Planning long trips around range and travel limitations with current battery.
From ATL to Savannah, GA is about 250 miles. i3 is doable, but charging times would SUUUUUCK. That's when I go ICE, fill and go no worries.
If my car had the extended range like a Tesla, 350ish, feck it, I'd be gone with it on that trip. Wouldn't even give a crap about waiting to charge LESS because… "free GAS"

Turning on climate control.. range drops 10 miles.

Drive like a maniac, computer says… ok azzhole, range estimate drops.

People assuming I'm in a little slow car and try to pass or creep up to cut me off. Then get mad and confused when smoked by the i3. Poor guy in a hellcat. 100% dusted. His girlfriend was dying in the car at the next light. I drove off like :

Since an iX extended is joining the fleet, we are getting a generac whole home battery and solar charging system.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
vreihen1615467.50
      08-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #81
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
No.

Bro just say you don't like EVs. No need for the olympic level mental gymnastics you're trying to pull in order to claim its easier to put gas than to plug in an EV in your own garage.

It's actually comical the levels that some none EV owners will go to just to justify their dislike for EVs. It's just as bad as some of the miracle costs savings reasons some EV fan boys try to use to justify their $50k car purchase.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615467.50
      08-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #82
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Proper use of the dust cover hanger!

My i3 ownership experiences after 2+ years are the same...except that I don't have a REx for backup if I mis-judge the range.

When we have taken our NY->SC road trips, it has been in the Mighty Dodge (or one time a rental Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk because the Mighty Dodge's AC was broken with a failed compressor clutch coil). My DW's Kia Niro EV has a 250+ mile range. We did consider taking it on the 750 mile drive, but we don't have electricity at our vacant lot. The nearest L3 DC fast charger is 80 miles away, and the nearest L2 charger is almost 50 miles away according to Plugshare. Sorta like driving through the Nevada desert, only it's green all over and has good fishing.

(On our next trip down there, I plan to stop by the state park campground a mile from our property and have a chat with the rangers about sponsoring an EV charging station. They already have 30/50 amp plugs at every camp site for RV use, so why not put a few in the parking lot with EV chargers on them?)

If the SHTF or someone nukes NYC, you can take it to the bank that The Mighty Dodge will be our choice of evacuation vehicles. It can make it to Indianapolis on a tank of diesel fuel, and can run on heating oil siphoned from any abandoned house along the way if fuel supplies are unobtanium.

Interesting statistic. My DW has not charged her Niro once on a L3 DC fast charger, and I have only used a L3 charger once with the i3...driving home the day I picked it up. The only other time that I ever charged away from home was at a National Drive Electric Week car show, where I used the free L2 charger because I had run my battery down using the air conditioner to stay cool while parked all day where I was concerned about having enough range left to make it home. (I did also grab a quick free 30 minute top-off L2 charge at the Kia dealership the day that my DW picked up her Niro BEV, but that was mostly to show the sales people that their new/free L2 chargers worked since nobody had plugged into them yet!) Other than those three times, 100% of my charging has been at home.....
      08-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #83
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quoted me £340 for an oil service which turned into £505 on the day because they said it needed a pollen filter as well. Next service is 12,000 miles or 12 months which will require the brakes bled as well so maybe looking at 1k

I can honestly say that BMW servicing costs more than Porsche
Appreciate 2
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
vreihen1615467.50
      08-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #84
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
Quoted me £340 for an oil service which turned into £505 on the day because they said it needed a pollen filter as well. Next service is 12,000 miles or 12 months which will require the brakes bled as well so maybe looking at 1k

That price for an oil change stings!
I see why many posts here say to do it yourself!
Woo wee.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #85
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No.

Bro just say you don't like EVs. No need for the olympic level mental gymnastics you're trying to pull in order to claim its easier to put gas than to plug in an EV in your own garage.

It's actually comical the levels that some none EV owners will go to just to justify their dislike for EVs. It's just as bad as some of the miracle costs savings reasons some EV fan boys try to use to justify their $50k car purchase.
Haaa.

I used to be an EV hater, till 3 months ago when the idiots here in Georgia freaked from the self induced gas shortage and started hoarding.

Was I one of those dumb idiots? YEP! I filled a 5 gallon can during that time while 100 people were parked in line panicking for gas.

I'm cheap AF. And will not pay over 30k for a vehicle.
My dodge v8 4x4 was 28k after payoff.
That got damn truck got me thru everything 19 years.
I'm going to be a Entitled Karen and throw my car a 20 year celebration party on year from now after banking the $400/m.

New shocks
New main rear seal
New tonneau bed cover

Save remainder for new transmission.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615467.50
      08-29-2021, 10:57 AM   #86
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post

Sorry but you're probably getting ripped off by your BMW service department. Absolutely no way BMW service is more expensive than Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #87
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Sorry but you're probably getting ripped off by your BMW service department. Absolutely no way BMW service is more expensive than Porsche.
I filled out the BMW on-line service estimate and that’s the price that came back. I have a BMW inde within 300 metres of the office but thought on such a car I best keep the service with BMW.
The oil change on my Panamera Turbo S was £280 but like the pollen filter with BMW, Porsche managed to find something else that was needed, the can of tyre repair was going out of date. Even so, the oil service was cheaper than BMW’s
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #88
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Well like I said, that service from your local BMW center sounds like a rip off. I mean £340(US$468) sounds steep to me. Perhaps that is normal over there in the UK?
Appreciate 0