BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i

Vacationing in HI with a drone

I'm thinking about getting a drone and using it while vacationing in HI. I just started looking into this as I've seen some awesome footage on you tube and thought that having a drone would be cool because it would give some different perspectives of us while we're hanging out around the island aside from the selfie sticks and tripod shots.

I'm looking at the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Does anybody have a drone they use while vacationing? Can you share your thoughts, tips, and tricks? Suggestions on a good drone? Tips and tricks about traveling and flying on a plane with a drone? I know you have to register your drone with the FAA. I live in CA and so if I register it in with my home address in CA, is there a problem with me taking it to HI and flying it there?

Again, I'm just starting to look into drones so please forgive me if I missed something or didn't ask something that maybe I should be asking. Thanks.
      09-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
There is the airport and a lot of military installations on Oahu. I’m pretty sure you’d need permission to fly almost anywhere out there. However, I’m no drone expert.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Vacationing in HI with a drone?

Couldn't find a girlfriend to go with?
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
      09-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 Alpine White M550i

If you've got a Dji the software wont let you fly into restricted areas
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Carry your drone on the flight. Do not check it in. Hawaii is not the most drone friendly state. I fly mine on the golf course in the evening or in my backyard which fronts a forest reserve.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
Richard Ellis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328D X-Drive

Way too many posted and unposted military and restricted areas in Hawaii. Go enjoy the island and culture outside of the typical tourist traps. Let's be honest, most live through the screen of their devices these days. How often would you go back and rewatch videos taken by the drone, or the occasional photo? There is still a "neato" factor to it, but I'd rather take it all in personally instead of electronically.
Appreciate 4
      09-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #7
IanMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Lived in Hawaii for four years. Just make sure to be polite at the beach and not piss off the locals. Also do some reading and find out where it is okay to fly. There's nothing I fucking hated more than people annoying the shit out of me with a drone.
Appreciate 3
eluded2960.50
David701567.00
      09-01-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

If this is your first drone, get a cheaper one to practice on. The last thing you want it to wreck a brand new $1500 drone.

I started with a DJI Spark. Crashed it a few times. I moved up to a Mavic Pro but still preferred the Spark compact size.
      09-02-2018, 12:50 AM   #9
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

People in Hawaii don't like it when they're chilling on the beach and see that Drone flying through the air. The locals will beat you and maybe some tourists will join in.
Appreciate 1
IanMan382.50
      09-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i

I definitely recognize that people don't want to be "spied" on and it's not like I'm going to fly the drone at head level and buzz around people's heads and faces. My goal is to use the drone to take pictures of my family from different angles that I wouldn't have been able to get using a selfie stick, tripod, or asking another person to take our group photo. I would also use the drone to capture landscape shots that again I wouldn't be able to get with my camera in hand.

As far as people are concerned, I'm not interested in taking videos and pictures of random people that I don't know and if they get bothered by a drone flying in the air that isn't focused on them, then I'd have to say that they're probably just bitter people that don't understand what being in the public means. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy in public. Again, I'm not saying that I'm going to be taking pictures/videos of people. I would launch the drone and the done will take pictures and videos of my family. If someone happens to be in the background, well then they happen to be in the background. I just want to use it to capture my kid boogie boarding at the beach from the air. Such an awesome perspective. We're going to the Kaneohe Bay sandbar and seeing the videos on You Tube, I think it would be awesome to capture some videos and pictures from the air to give a different perspective. Again, my thought in using the drone is to capture different perspectives that I wouldn't otherwise get with using my camera in hand.

Of course, I'm not saying that I wouldn't respect people's "privacy" in public but at the same time, they are in public and to say that a drone might annoy someone, well I don't know what to say to that. What is there to annoy someone if the drone is taking off and has nothing to do with the person next to you? Maybe a little bit of a buzz? I don't get it. Like I said, I can see if someone is flying a drone at head level through a crowd and people are having to duck because the drone would otherwise smack people in the head for example but if a drone is a few hundred feet in the air out in the ocean taking pictures and videos, what is there to be annoyed about?

I found this website, https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map that seems to provide a pretty good layout of where you can't fly. It also list some warning zones but you can still fly in those areas so it seems that Oahu doesn't have too many no fly zones.
      09-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #11
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Your good intentions are admirable, but if I saw a drone over a beach I'd be thinking 'perv looking for skin shots' and would be happy to join the locals in chasing you away. As others have noted, you'll be missing more time with the family than any fancy pics could ever make up for. Don't let youtube con you out of what really matters - let s/b else get brag-worthy pics while you make memories that last forever.
Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7555.50
IanMan382.50
      09-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #12
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

If locals are at the beach I would not fly the drone unless you asked first.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

"howlie gonna need video to show 5-0 about the beating he gets."

Your mind is the best camera there is. Spend the time enjoying the scenery with the family, talking about how beautiful the moment is. Then go home and tell people they should go on their own and see for themselves. You are really doing them a favor.
Appreciate 1
IanMan382.50
      09-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #14
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

DJI's software restricts places you cannot fly but there is a bypass software(which is not really needed).
I started with a Spark because as a beginner it didn't make sense to drop 1k plus on a drone that I might crash. I've already crashed the spark a handful of times.
Just recently came back from Bali and I can't imagine traveling without one now. Also consider extra batteries and other accessories will balloon up the cost.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #15
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Isn't there a bit of a learning curve to learning how to fly a drone? You sure you wanna do that while on vacation in Hawaii?

It's just seems like you'll be learning/troubleshooting/figuring out hardware/software controls and spending a lot of time inside loading/watching/editing video, when you're supposed to be enjoying the outdoors in Hawaii.

It's kinda like taking a vacation to a beautiful island only to spend your entire time learning how to code.....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #16
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Isn't there a bit of a learning curve to learning how to fly a drone? You sure you wanna do that while on vacation in Hawaii?

It's just seems like you'll be learning/troubleshooting/figuring out hardware/software controls and spending a lot of time inside loading/watching/editing video, when you're supposed to be enjoying the outdoors in Hawaii.

It's kinda like taking a vacation to a beautiful island only to spend your entire time learning how to code.....
Definitely a learning curve. I practiced for 2 months before my vacation every weekend. Trying mimic some of the youtube footages was tough in the beginning but as soon as I perfected it, it was like riding a bike.

Every place we went to I set aside 20-30 mins just for the drone footage. Setup time was under 1 min to be in the air.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 02:32 PM   #17
sportscarsforlife
Registered
Rep
Drives: FiST, 350Z, TSX

I take my drone with on every trip, and it's always a memorable moment flying!

A couple of thoughts:

- If that's your first drone, practice with it a good bit locally to make sure you know all of its controls and features like the back of your hand. You don't want to lose a $1000+ drone and also potentially risk others' safety. If you don't have too much time to practice, I would recommend getting a cheaper drone and getting comfortable with it, and then moving up at a later time
- Get yourself an extra battery or two, extra propellers, extra cable. You don't want to be somewhere and run out of battery or not have what you need to fly!
- Definitely read all the regulations and guidelines and follow them!

Have fun and save flying!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #18
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

People spend too much time trying to record and tell others about their vacations and not enough time actually enjoying them. The process to take the drone, figure out where and what to do with it seems like a lot of hassle to me.

Unless you can find the truly deserted beach (unlikely) drones are really annoying to everyone else trying to enjoy whatever they are there for.
      04-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #19
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
People spend too much time trying to record and tell others about their vacations and not enough time actually enjoying them. The process to take the drone, figure out where and what to do with it seems like a lot of hassle to me.

Unless you can find the truly deserted beach (unlikely) drones are really annoying to everyone else trying to enjoy whatever they are there for.
This is like telling females to stop taking selfies everywhere.
I'm up and running in less than 5 minutes. Also about 30 min flight time is not taking time out.

Lastly do you speak for yourself when you mention "everyone else" because everyone around me always thinks its really cool.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #20
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMan View Post
There's nothing I fucking hated more than people annoying the shit out of me with a drone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
People in Hawaii don't like it when they're chilling on the beach and see that Drone flying through the air. The locals will beat you and maybe some tourists will join in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
, but if I saw a drone over a beach I'd be thinking 'perv looking for skin shots' and would be happy to join the locals in chasing you away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
This is like telling females to stop taking selfies everywhere.
I'm up and running in less than 5 minutes. Also about 30 min flight time is not taking time out.

Lastly do you speak for yourself when you mention "everyone else" because everyone around me always thinks its really cool.
I just said I think it is annoying, pointing out that woman taking selfies everywhere is also annoying doesn't change it. It's also just my opinion, unless there is a law against it I don't think anyone can legally stop you.

I do have a hard time believing everyone around you thinks it is cool and think many times what we are doing is viewed differently by others than what we believe and I can't see how you would know what all the people at the beach really think about your drone.
      05-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #21
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

A bit off topic, by why is that every time someone mentions Hawaii, it's almost inevitable that the phrase "don't piss off the locals" comes up? No where else in the world is that phrase more synonyms than with that tiny little chain of BS islands.

I mean, you would assume that when tourists outnumber the "locals" 8:1 they would have gotten used to all those "foreigners" by now. I guess the $16+ billion dollars of money they happen to pump into the local economy every year isn't enough to make up for it though.

"Don't be an asshole" is a pretty universal rule that everyone should follow, but what exactly is happening out there that peeps need to be extra careful about?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #22
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
A bit off topic, by why is that every time someone mentions Hawaii, it's almost inevitable that the phrase "don't piss off the locals" comes up? No where else in the world is that phrase more synonyms than with that tiny little chain of BS islands.

I mean, you would assume that when tourists outnumber the "locals" 8:1 they would have gotten used to all those "foreigners" by now. I guess the $16+ billion dollars of money they happen to pump into the local economy every year isn't enough to make up for it though.

"Don't be an asshole" is a pretty universal rule that everyone should follow, but what exactly is happening out there that peeps need to be extra careful about?
I grew up in FL and found a certain percentage of the tourists very irritating as tourists were everywhere and it seemed like a giant number of them were a**holes. I now live in Ohio, we have very few tourists and they don't bother me at all. Being surrounded by a**holes doesn't mean you get used to them and yes they support the economy but that is hard to remember when people that don't live in your town come there and are a**holes, often drunk, often loud, likely doing things they wouldn't consider doing where they live.