BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-17-2022, 08:11 PM   #1
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Best cold weather dry surface tires?

Although it's still warm, I've picked up an extra set of wheels as my M2 is a 4 season daily driver and I'll need an alternative to summer-only tires soon. But there's a catch.

Discussions of cold tolerant tires often turn to snow/wet traction capabilities and rightly so in most cases. My needs are a little different, however. What I need isn't a winter (snowflake) tire per se as I won't take the M2 out if there is any appreciable chance of snow. And probably similar for rain. What I really need is the tire that can grip dry pavement the best in low temperatures to below freezing (say as low as -10° C but with most days in around 0-5° C). Most of my daily driving never elevates the tire temperature much (short trips).

I've run Pilot All Season 4s and have been happy with them. The Continental DWS06 read like they are as good, maybe better. That said, reviews incorporate a variety of criteria that are less important to may particular interests (e.g. wet handling, light snow).

So, if anyone has an opinion on a best or better option for a cold weather dry pavement tire that grips well, please advise.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 08:25 PM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I had a set of the previous gen DWS, they were absolutely amazing new but as they wore, even a little, snow and really cold weather performance fell off a cliff. But for your needs, i cannot think of a better 4 season tyre given i imagine the newer gen to be better than the ones I had.
Appreciate 2
H2O_Doc511.50
540iSUP703.00
      07-17-2022, 08:29 PM   #3
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Although it's still warm, I've picked up an extra set of wheels as my M2 is a 4 season daily driver and I'll need an alternative to summer-only tires soon. But there's a catch.

Discussions of cold tolerant tires often turn to snow/wet traction capabilities and rightly so in most cases. My needs are a little different, however. What I need isn't a winter (snowflake) tire per se as I won't take the M2 out if there is any appreciable chance of snow. And probably similar for rain. What I really need is the tire that can grip dry pavement the best in low temperatures to below freezing (say as low as -10° C but with most days in around 0-5° C). Most of my daily driving never elevates the tire temperature much (short trips).

I've run Pilot All Season 4s and have been happy with them. The Continental DWS06 read like they are as good, maybe better. That said, reviews incorporate a variety of criteria that are less important to may particular interests (e.g. wet handling, light snow).

So, if anyone has an opinion on a best or better option for a cold weather dry pavement tire that grips well, please advise.
I had the same requirements a few years ago and went with Blizzak lm-32. This is perf winter tire with stiffer sidewall that provides better steering feedback compared to typical mushy snow tire but they are also excellent in heavy rain, sleet and snow. I used them in ny, pa, nj, de, md and never had an issue and even drove thru 2-3 in of snow with my former rwd e90 and they gripped. Excellent stopping perf also and easy to control with good grip in icy conditions. Very happy with them from TG thru end of winter.

Believe it or not I was passing jeeps that were slipping and many other suvs with my rwd e90.
Appreciate 1
H2O_Doc511.50
      07-17-2022, 08:47 PM   #4
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

He's running them 4 seasons though, the Blizzack will turn to cheese in mid summer. I have had 3 sets of "performance" winter rubber and again when new, all good, by 50% wear they were damn near useless in the snow or ice.
Appreciate 1
H2O_Doc511.50
      07-18-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Agreed, AS4 are about as good as it gets if you need cold weather capabilities.
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #6
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
Believe it or not I was passing jeeps that were slipping and many other suvs with my rwd e90.
In bad weather, tyres rule the roost. All these cars/trucks with AWD carrying extra weight and complexity for what exactly? 90% of people just do not need AWD but it has become a crutch for some reason.

Tyres, tyres.... tyres.
Appreciate 3
H2O_Doc511.50
540iSUP703.00
      07-18-2022, 11:06 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:
In bad weather, tyres rule the roost. All these cars/trucks with AWD carrying extra weight and complexity for what exactly? 90% of people just do not need AWD but it has become a crutch for some reason.

Tyres, tyres.... tyres.
Ha, my sister refuses to believe that my GTI on snows will absolutely crush her Range Rover on all seasons on actual snow.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP703.00
WolfGTI688.50
      07-18-2022, 11:14 AM   #8
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Tyres, tyres.... tyres.
A tow truck driver told me all 4WD does for MOST people is get them stuck 100yards further out than other cars

As he was pulling my 4Runner out of an icy ditch...
Appreciate 3
      07-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #9
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Tyres, tyres.... tyres.
absolutely!

folks don't take physics and chem classes, and mandatory driving education is non existent.

A dude in CT4 with all seasons could not go up the hill. I stopped and asked if he needed a ride. He said I bought this goddamn car with awd and it won't go up. Then he said he had all seasons and when I looked they had 2-3 mm tread in 2 inches of snow covered roads. I asked him do you put your sneakers on when walking thru snow? Then the car stared to slide backwards. He got anxious and waited for tow truck.

For me there is no all season tire that is good in 4 seasons period! They are different compounds. Boots in the winter and running shoes in the summer!
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      07-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #10
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Tyres, tyres.... tyres.
Ha, my sister refuses to believe that my GTI on snows will absolutely crush her Range Rover on all seasons on actual snow.
typical …

when I lived in Buffalo most of the time cars that ended up in a ditch were f150, Tahoe and similar. I had Nissan Sentra and never had issues as long as it was driven appropriately for conditions and maintained distance.

An interesting test btw rr and gti would be going down the hill from 40mph to zero on snow covered road.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:56 AM   #11
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
absolutely!

folks don't take physics and chem classes, and mandatory driving education is non existent.

A dude in CT4 with all seasons could not go up the hill. I stopped and asked if he needed a ride. He said I bought this goddamn car with awd and it won't go up. Then he said he had all seasons and when I looked they had 2-3 mm tread in 2 inches of snow covered roads. I asked him do you put your sneakers on when walking thru snow? Then the car stared to slide backwards. He got anxious and waited for tow truck.

For me there is no all season tire that is good in 4 seasons period! They are different compounds. Boots in the winter and running shoes in the summer!
The OP said he isn't going to drive the car in snow...

Driving in snow requires experience and talent. Most people lack one or both. Even winter tires with a dumbass at the helm will get the car stuck, regardless of drivetrain architecture.
ok yeah although his use case is suspect. let's say you are out at work and the freezing rain starts. I would rather have snows than all seasons. He said -10C so that means some black ice also. I guess all seasons could be ok for very short trips.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #12
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
typical …

when I lived in Buffalo most of the time cars that ended up in a ditch were f150, Tahoe and similar. I had Nissan Sentra and never had issues as long as it was driven appropriately for conditions and maintained distance.

An interesting test btw rr and gti would be going down the hill from 40mph to zero on snow covered road.
I think a large part of AWD and 4wd problems is they let you out accelerate your ability to slow or turn, no matter that tires. Without that staring capability, you are generally much more limited, which results in safer driving.
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI688.50
540iSUP703.00
      07-18-2022, 12:32 PM   #13
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
I think a large part of AWD and 4wd problems is they let you out accelerate your ability to slow or turn, no matter that tires. Without that staring capability, you are generally much more limited, which results in safer driving.
A really bad habit AWD/4WD drivers have in snow, slippery conditions is utter disregard for weight transfer. "My car has AWD, why did it spin when I let off the gas mid turn?"
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      07-18-2022, 01:13 PM   #14
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

A winter tire tread by design has deeper knobby treads and the benefits would be lost in ONLY dry weather. Their compounds are also softer which necessarily don't help for typical "responsibly fun" driving... All season would fit your use-case better, as recommended above the AS4 or DWS6 seem to be the top two. I don't know your climate but if -10C is your lowest, all seasons should perform more than fine.
Appreciate 3
H2O_Doc511.50
WolfGTI688.50
      07-18-2022, 01:37 PM   #15
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Check out Nokian, some of the best winter tires made. Ran two sets of Hakkapeliitta's, probably a bit more snow focused, but there's other balanced options. The WR is an all weather tire, with good balance of cold/snow and dry performance.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 01:44 PM   #16
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

YEah as much as i am an advocate for winter rubber, the OP clearly doesn't need a dedicated winter set. All seasons with a winter consideration will be the way to go.
Appreciate 2
H2O_Doc511.50
540iSUP703.00
      07-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #17
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Looks like it might come down to the AS4s or Conti's based on all the input and what I've been able to gather from a bit of research.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      07-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #18
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
ok yeah although his use case is suspect. let's say you are out at work and the freezing rain starts. I would rather have snows than all seasons. He said -10C so that means some black ice also. I guess all seasons could be ok for very short trips.
I live in Central Virginia in the mountains. Winter of 2020 we had a midday snow storm that dropped about 6 inches. By the time I left work in N. Virgina, 80 miles from home the roads were mostly cleared but crunchy with treated surfaces. Dumbass me decided to take the short way (8 miles vs. 14) home over the road that has the corkscrew (drops 900 feet in a mile). The road had been plowed about 300 feet in going up a hill. Then I was driving on an untreated road, keeping momentum up and following tracks made by the local Boys in their lifted CK10's. This road is my personal racetrack, it is not straight and it is not level. As I approached the last quite-steep hill that tops at the corkscrew, the DSC kicked in and cut engine power, I lost momentum and stuck the Pilot Sport AS4-shoed E90 in the middle of the road.

A brisk three mile walk home. Grabbed my neighbor, a few snow shovels, and the Hummer. We dug the E90 out, backed it down the hill a 100 feet turned around and I followed the Hummer out on the same unloved, untreated country road I came in on. Then drove around the mountain like I should have in the first place and got home in one piece. The AS4's had a good 20,000 on them.

Everyone says all-seasons suck and are a compromise for all seasons...

BS.
good story

so why are snows mandatory in Europe and Canada?

why dies bmw offer winter wheel packages?

anyway snows for me

I know I know TR hopes to increase sales …
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #19
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I live in Central Virginia in the mountains. Winter of 2020 we had a midday snow storm that dropped about 6 inches. By the time I left work in N. Virgina, 80 miles from home the roads were mostly cleared but crunchy with treated surfaces. Dumbass me decided to take the short way (8 miles vs. 14) home over the road that has the corkscrew (drops 900 feet in a mile). The road had been plowed about 300 feet in going up a hill. Then I was driving on an untreated road, keeping momentum up and following tracks made by the local Boys in their lifted CK10's. This road is my personal racetrack, it is not straight and it is not level. As I approached the last quite-steep hill that tops at the corkscrew, the DSC kicked in and cut engine power, I lost momentum and stuck the Pilot Sport AS4-shoed E90 in the middle of the road.

A brisk three mile walk home. Grabbed my neighbor, a few snow shovels, and the Hummer. We dug the E90 out, backed it down the hill a 100 feet turned around and I followed the Hummer out on the same unloved, untreated country road I came in on. Then drove around the mountain like I should have in the first place and got home in one piece. The AS4's had a good 20,000 on them.

Everyone says all-seasons suck and are a compromise for all seasons...

BS.
good story

so why are snows mandatory in Europe and Canada?

why dies bmw offer winter wheel packages?

anyway snows for me

I know I know TR hopes to increase sales …
I'm sure their data are pretty good and I would absolutely get winter tires over all season tires if I was going to drive on frozen precipitation. Having multiple vehicles I have the luxury of keeping the M2's usage to dry pavement only.
Appreciate 1
Mavus2014.50
      07-19-2022, 12:10 AM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Been running a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2's for a couple of years. Absolutely love these tires. They're all seasons but are winter tire rated. I've driven through all manners of conditions from hot summers to cold winters with snow on the ground. It's performed in all of these conditions.
Appreciate 4
Efthreeoh16946.00
DrFerry6722.50
Humdizzle6024.00
AlexFL7833.00
      07-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #21
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

WHy are people not listening... HE DOESN'T NEED A WINTER SET.
Appreciate 6
H2O_Doc511.50
Efthreeoh16946.00
Sedoy675.50
540iSUP703.00
Blue87372.50
      07-19-2022, 08:10 AM   #22
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I've used DWS for years and currently have the 06 on my 128i Msport 6-speed on 18-inch Apex wheels as year-round tires. My driveway is a quarter-mile-long undulating terrain and I don't expect the Contis to get me there when snow and ice are on the ground but otherwise they've been fantastic tires. Snow is actually not so bad but around here it quickly turns to packed ice. I'm sure the AS4 would perform at least as well but the Contis have been great for me. I also have them on two E28s and an E39. I have a dedicated set of snows on wheels but haven't had to put them on in years around here.

When I first put the latest set on my 128i I thought I'd screwed up everything I loved about that car. The feeling lasted maybe 300-miles. Don't know yet if I got used to them over my track tires, or if they just had to break-in, but the confidence and precision of the handling hasn't disturbed me for well over a year now. Just saying that in case you go with the Contis and initially feel you may have made a mistake!
Appreciate 0