BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

02-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #463
anglocanadian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Edition

A little off topic but I have a 2003 BMW F650 Dakar Motorcycle which has an Austrian built Rotax engine.
All the current 650's have a Rotax engine built in China !
I personally would not pay the premium price of a BMW if it were built in china,
but if it were discounted 50% ?
Anyone know where Rolex parts are sourced nowadays ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #464
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineV8 View Post
It perpetuates fraud. I would rather not have something if I couldn't afford it or whatever and be genuine than have something fake.

If you're willing to contribute to the illegal fake industry for a measly watch then what else might you be willing to do?

Keep your man card in check. Real men don't wear fakes.

Do you drive a fake M?
There is nothing defensible about breaking the law, no matter how minor the instance of one's infraction be. Only jurors are in a position to determine that a law has no/insufficient merit and thus the person who broke it/them should suffer no penalty.

I'm sure you never break any laws. I can't say that. I break several in multiple jurisdictions almost every time I drive my car, and that's no more defensible than is breaking laws pertaining to $20 fake watches.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #465
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Well this thread turned out about how I imagined with a mixed bag of well balanced and DB replies.
I think we sometimes forget just how lucky we are, a different spin of the cosmic roulette wheel and any of us could have ended up working a farm in remote China or scrabbling round a rubbish tip in Africa looking for lunch. I don't think we have a right to our good fortune so it seems a bit arrogant of some to slam people who buy a cheap version of something they could not otherwise afford.
If an expensive watch does it for you then brilliant, if you can't or don't want to pay big $$$ for one then is always:
http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/forum.php
I have a replica IWC, I really like the look of it and wear it ever day. No one has ever asked me if its real and I doubt anyone ever will. No one cares what watch someone else wears.
i hate you for recommending that site
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #466
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
i hate you for recommending that site

I haven't been on there for ages but the IWC I bought from one of their recommended sellers is still working fine....I wear it every day regardless of what I'm doing and its still scratch free and keeping good time (gains about 5 sces a month).
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #467
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post

I haven't been on there for ages but the IWC I bought from one of their recommended sellers is still working fine....I wear it every day regardless of what I'm doing and its still scratch free and keeping good time (gains about 5 sces a month).
there's alot of good info on there and all i'll say is that there are some damn good reps right now...

i'm obsessed with ap roo's
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #468
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Didn't read much of the thread but I really like RWI, so many vendors and different levels of quality. I have ordered a couple Hublots that I really like and some lower quality reps like Armani or IWC with great results. (not saying IWC is lower quality just the reps I see being <$250)

I feel that replicas are fine as long as you aren't bragging about it, I buy watches for the style not for the name.

Last edited by 335m; 02-18-2015 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #469
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Didn't read much of the thread but I really like RWI, so many vendors and different levels of quality. I have ordered a couple Hublots that I really like and some lower end stuff like Armani or IWC with great results.

I feel that replicas are fine as long as you aren't bragging about it, I buy watches for the style not for the name.
I'm just messin' witcha, but I must say you are the first person I've ever seen in any way, shape or form equate IWC with "low end." LOL

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #470
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Didn't read much of the thread but I really like RWI, so many vendors and different levels of quality. I have ordered a couple Hublots that I really like and some lower end stuff like Armani or IWC with great results.

This guy just grouped Armani and IWC together. haha Maybe it's time you stop getting your information from forums dedicated to fake watches.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #471
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

in most cases it is quite easy to tell a fake... if you could make an watch of the same quality as a rolex you would be better off having your own brand instead of faking it.

sure there are high end fakes but they dont get sold for $200. i believe part of the reason they exist is simply to prove how good you can make a fake but there is not necessarily a large market for them... people pay $200 for replica watches but the cases and bracelets wear out as quickly as other $200 watches..., the crstals scratch and fade, the pieces age... you can tell they are fake.

incidentally, while i would not buy or wear a fake watch (unless it was particularly interesting) i would also NOT pay full price for alot of 'genuine' car parts... like BMW M3 splitters... i'll go with the rep all day long.

funny, i cant even really justify why but that's how i feel.
      02-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #472
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
I have ordered a couple Hublots that I really like and some lower end stuff like Armani or IWC with great results.
Armani is of the same quality as IWC???
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #473
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
in most cases it is quite easy to tell a fake... if you could make an watch of the same quality as a rolex you would be better off having your own brand instead of faking it.

sure there are high end fakes but they dont get sold for $200. i believe part of the reason they exist is simply to prove how good you can make a fake but there is not necessarily a large market for them... people pay $200 for replica watches but the cases and bracelets wear out as quickly as other $200 watches..., the crystals scratch and fade, the pieces age... you can tell they are fake.

incidentally, while i would not buy or wear a fake watch (unless it was particularly interesting) i would also NOT pay full price for alot of 'genuine' car parts... like BMW M3 splitters... i'll go with the rep all day long.

funny, i cant even really justify why but that's how i feel.
Red:
That isn't at all consistent with economic concepts of competition, market equilibrium and barriers to entry. That there is even such a thing as a "fake" XYZ is the result of an artificial barrier to entry.

Producers of fakes ignore the artificial barrier called "branding" (intellectual property rights) and do exactly what is economically natural: they see others making profits selling a good and so they enter the market to sell the same good and thereby claim a share of the potential profits.
Blue:
Inasmuch as you've asserted that a 1B+ potential consumers isn't "a large market," what is?

Green:
Over what time interval? That they have aged is quite often what gives many authentic products part of their appeal. (http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2010/6/...in-the-wo.html)

Indeed the perceived value of aging isn't limited to watches. It's applicable also to furniture, for example.

Purple:
I won't refute your assertion in this regard for I believe you.

I realize that there there are several major schools of thought on the matter of fate and free will, so I'll merely suggest that in the long run, you'll find it a huge boon to know why you will and won't take a given action. Many folks act and don't really know why, but the vast majority of those people are 100% capable of altering that state of being to one where their actions and choices are deliberate and well considered.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #474
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

i'm sorry did you just post links to basic business concepts and then end your post with 'all the best' ??

there is a very limited market for high end fake watches. you cant sell them for $200 (low end fakes) and you have to trick the people who can afford them but dont buy from an AD.

maybe i should go get a link about market segmentation and pretend like you don't know what that is?
      02-18-2015, 02:04 AM   #475
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
i'm sorry did you just post links to basic business concepts and then end your post with 'all the best' ??

there is a very limited market for high end fake watches. you cant sell them for $200 (low end fakes) and you have to trick the people who can afford them but dont buy from an AD.

maybe i should go get a link about market segmentation and pretend like you don't know what that is?
Actually, no, I didn't. I posted links to basic economics concepts.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #476
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
do you guys consider there to be a difference between "fake" and "replica"? just curious
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #477
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
do you guys consider there to be a difference between "fake" and "replica"? just curious
Replica admits it's copying the original fake tries to replicate it and pass itself off as the the original.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #478
1stm235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril blue m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Replica admits it's copying the original fake tries to replicate it and pass itself off as the the original.

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #479
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Aside from the cliche "fake watch for a fake person" I don't particularly understand it.

Looking flashy with a fake watch is only appealing if you're wanting to pretend. When you're a child it's fun and appropriate to pretend, but not when you are grown and trying to pass yourself off as a legitimate individual.

While it doesn't impact me in any way, it comes off as terribly cheesy, and something done by cheesy people. It reflects poorly on the person, and suggests underlying psychoses.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #480
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

This thread is a testament to the love of fakes

It will never die

Kinda like cockroaches
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #481
Benedict1957
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMick View Post
This thread is a testament to the love of fakes

It will never die

Kinda like cockroaches
Hey look, it's the prodigal dick waver
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #482
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

IMO when a person wears a fake watch it says something about that person.. The choice for me is simple, I would rather wear no watch at all or a Casio over a fake Rolex or anything fake at all. Because I would rather be viewed as cheap rather than a poser.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #483
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
IMO when a person wears a fake watch it says something about that person.. The choice for me is simple, I would rather wear no watch at all or a Casio over a fake Rolex or anything fake at all. Because I would rather be viewed as cheap rather than a poser.
Amen. The people wearing fake rolexes are probably the same people who drive 328s rebadged as M3s.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #484
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
Amen. The people wearing fake rolexes are probably the same people who drive 328s rebadged as M3s.
Exactly what i meant by the kind of person that would put that on their wrist!!
Appreciate 0