E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > brakes beyond touchy

09-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
redthree
Rep
Drives: 2006 Three Series

brakes beyond touchy

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced what I have with the brakes on my 330i? I cannot seem to come to an easy stop no matter how hard I try. My Acura MDX is much better as is my Lexus 400. The brakes seem to work well at stopping the car, but my stops seem like I have just learned how to drive, not like I have the 50 years experience I have. My wife hates them, whether she is driving (which I try to avoid happening) or I am driving. The braking system described in the slick brochure I received at the dealers and the system I have in real life are like two different ends of a camel. Comments, suggestions. My car is at the 2,000 mile range and has automatic xmission. Also, the outside temp gauge displayed on the on board computer (at the radio level) has a mind of its own - sometimes it displays the temp, sometimes it does not. Will let the dealer wressel with that one when I take it in for its first service.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

you might be experiencing the soft-stop feature that's supposed to help u come to a smooth stop by easing brake pressure a bit. i've noticed that in my car the system seems to be confused and releases brake pressure too late or too much so that the car often lurches forward a bit after coming to a full stop. i believe there might be a software update for the brakes in the future but for now i guess we just have to try and get used to it. i can come to a smooth stop if i really concentrate but most of the time i do experience a little lurching.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
Red
Chris Bangle For Prez
Rep
Drives: Ford (yea, I know)

I read a professional review of the E90 in carpoint where they site that the brakes were indeed "touchy". So you're definately not alone...
      09-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i

The brakes are defintely touchy. Every other car I've driven I could come to a soft stop without thinking. I've had to be conscious about the pressure I'm applying or it sometimes feels like a rookie driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

Mine doesn't lurch forward as some others but it's not a complete stop. It'll come to a standstill and then it'll budge a bit. Doesn't the E90 have something called a Drive by Wire braking system? I think the 7 series has it - it's supposed to be really advanced.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I read a professional review of the E90 in carpoint where they site that the brakes were indeed "touchy". So you're definately not alone...
I think the professional didn't know what they were talking about; either that or your E90s are experiencing something different from the three I've test-driven so far. Fro my experience the E90 brakes are perfect, which is to say a LOT more sensitive than Japanese/American brakes. This isn't touchy as "responsive"; your basic American and Japanese brakes are what one calls the opposite. I know I sometimes have a bit of difficulty adjusting to them after driving my German car (I drive Japanese cars quite a bit as well), and end up nearly not stopping because I don't pound down on the brakes hard enough. Whereas Japanese/American cars seem to have a binary brake system (on/off), German and European engineered cars have far more shades of gray; this makes them fabulous for driving, because you can apply just the amount of brake you need to make your car dance, without causing the entire weight balance of the car to shift. You just need to get used to using varying pressure.

The good news is, you will get used to them! After a week or two driving with your "touchy" brakes, you'll not only be stopping like a pro, but wondering how you ever lived with such unresponsive brakes on your previous vehicles. I love German cars for their styling, handling, engines and, almost above all else, their wonderful, wonderful braking.

(Disclaimer: You could, as I mentioned, be experiencing something totally different, something that may be related to auto transmission and this odd "soft stop" feature. If that is the case, you may want to take it to your dealer and see if they can dial that down or whatnot...)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

I also have issues with brakes. My problem is the lurching associated with the soft-stop, as I've posted in many threads.

The car is extremely difficult to stop smoothly...It's very touchy, and with the soft-stop, the only way to stop the car without lurching is to slam on the brakes. I consider this unacceptable, and my patience is running dry with BMW. BMWNA has even sent a Field Engineer to look at the problem, but all he did was give excuses.

BTW, the E90 brakes are NOT drive-by-wire.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
I'm with you an this one, I feel that the brakes are over boosted. Less assist would make heel and toe easier for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #9
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Well, this isn't my first German car or my first BMW and I have to agree that these brakes feel like they have a mind of their own. Oh, wait, they do! They are computer/software controlled. One thing I have noticed is that after you release the brake pedal there is a split second lag before the brakes disengage. Anybody else notice this? I believe it has to do with an anti roll back mechanism. I had a Subaru with a similar system and it gives the same feeling. It drives me crazy on a car with an auto tranny.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
BTW, the E90 brakes are NOT drive-by-wire.
They're not? Are they brake-by-wire then? I thought that's why the Start-off Assistant works as it does. Can someone enlighten me please??
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 12:05 AM   #11
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

get used to it,

it's not like it changes every time you drive the car

the car behaves the same every time, and you still can't piece it together?

don't get me wrong, my Z4 without soft stop is easier to modulate to a smooth stop, but it's most certainly not impossible to modulate to a smooth stop in the 3
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 12:16 AM   #12
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
get used to it,

it's not like it changes every time you drive the car

the car behaves the same every time, and you still can't piece it together?

don't get me wrong, my Z4 without soft stop is easier to modulate to a smooth stop, but it's most certainly not impossible to modulate to a smooth stop in the 3
I agree, my last car was an '87 Cadi (hey it was paid for) and I had to almost stand on the brakes to stop it. My E90 brakes were a shock to my system but after two and a half months I am used to them. I can do smooth stops or panic stops with ease and I'm sure you will get used to it as well.
      09-09-2005, 06:10 AM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
The brakes never bothered me, even though I did notice they grab nicely. With 6500 miles now, the pads have worn some and it does not seem as grabby - or I'm more accustomed to it. German cars in general have sensitive brakes, so anyone coming from a Ricer or POS American car will have some adjusting to do.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 06:27 AM   #14
bobnaz
BMWCCA/NASA
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe ZP/ZS/Dinan ECU+Exh

Garage List
1999 M3  [0.00]
2007 ZSP ZPP Step a ...  [0.00]
I Love the brakes, but have you noticed at every stop the car kinda of rocks forward and bacward like it's spring loaded?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 06:31 AM   #15
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW786
Mine doesn't lurch forward as some others but it's not a complete stop. It'll come to a standstill and then it'll budge a bit. Doesn't the E90 have something called a Drive by Wire braking system? I think the 7 series has it - it's supposed to be really advanced.
No. Only Mercedes Benz has a drive by wire braking system on the SL and the E-class. They´ve had so much trouble with it that the new S-class and all future modells by MB are going back to conventional systems.

BMW never had brake by wire.
      09-09-2005, 06:59 AM   #16
Martinmaxx
Private First Class
Argentina
Rep
Drives: E39/E46/E87/E92

The brakes on the E90 are not "by wire", as there is indeed a mechanical connection between pedal and servo. What this brakes do have is some kind of computer assistance, which act over the mechanical system mainly for soft stop, emergency brake exra boost, fade compensation, disc drying, and the usual ABS, CBC, etc.

As someone mentioned earlier, it is only a matter of time and practice before you get used to them, and then you´ll really appreciate how good they are. This "touchyness" will save lots of meters from your high speed braking, making it one of the best active safety features of this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 09:52 AM   #17
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep

oh ok, I told some people the wrong information then. Thanks for clarifying, I didn't know that.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #18
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Never had a problem with the brakes. I suspect that having a Step tranny may contribute to this? I have a manual.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #19
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

It didn't really bother me on my test drive, but I have heard many people say this before. It's just something that needs getting used to. I noticed that the Audis have a similar brake touchiness.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #20
TheEvilandCharismaticMr.X
Rep
Drives: E90 330i zsp zpp

The brakes can seem a bit touchy at first, but you do get used to it. The brakes are great!
Saved me the other night when I was flying down a back road and a deer decides to step out into the road. I hit the brakes hard from over 60mph, and the car came to a complete stop perfectly in well enough time. I don't even think the abs engaged.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #21
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
The brakes is indeed a new experience in the beginning but I'm very used to it (1138km) and as a couple of posts mentioned above, it feels great and I can 'command' how quickly the car stops easily.

Among anything, I think the brakes is one of the best components of the e90 for sure. You slam it hard, it DOES stops quick and hard!
Appreciate 0