BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-15-2019, 01:59 AM   #23
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
I'll be honest I wasn't expecting something as horrific as even the small descriptions you just said. Yet I'm intrigued :

As for window tint, would it be better if someone with dark tint were to roll all their windows all the way down during a traffic stop?
Well if you're intrigued, I'll tell you.

During a T-stop.....

.....turn off the car, roll down all windows, turn on the interior lights, and place your hands on the steering wheel. Have your license and registration easily/readily accessible, and have your front passenger place their hands on their knees; rear passengers hands on the headrests. Doing that will ease law enforcement. We are always looking at hands and watching for movement, so making it easier for us will keep tension at a minimum.
Sure, why not

That's good information to know. I've never been pulled over so that's pretty useful. I've been pretty stupid once though. Never even crossed my mind until after the event. A group of friends and I were out cruising around and whatnot, so we stopped at Taco Bell right before it closed. After we were done eating, we were just hanging out bullshitting and whatnot. Anyway, I guess there were reports of street racing in the area.. Three policemen approach us in the parking lot to ask questions and all that fun stuff

I had my hands in my hoodie pullover pocket that entire time we were talking, and I was still clueless as to why a couple of them had their hands on their holster. Clueless me

Anyways, I feel like rummaging around trying to find my registration or getting my wallet out from my back pocket would look suspicious? Once again, have never been pulled over.
Don't rummage. Just inform the officer/deputy where your license and registration are located, and let him/her instruct you to produce those documents. Rummaging is circumvented by having the documents in your hand [while they are positioned on the steering wheel] prior to the officer coming up to your car.

P.S. Keeping your hands in your hoodie pocket definitely increased the tension level. Lol! You didn't know any better though. Even during consensual encounters with the public I instruct individuals to keep their hands visible.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 02:14 AM   #24
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'll be honest I wasn't expecting something as horrific as even the small descriptions you just said. Yet I'm intrigued :

As for window tint, would it be better if someone with dark tint were to roll all their windows all the way down during a traffic stop?

During a T-stop.....

.....turn off the car, roll down all windows, turn on the interior lights, and place your hands on the steering wheel. Have your license and registration easily/readily accessible, and have your front passenger place their hands on their knees; rear passengers hands on the headrests. Doing that will ease law enforcement. We are always looking at hands and watching for movement, so making it easier for us will keep tension at a minimum.
Sure, why not

That's good information to know. I've never been pulled over so that's pretty useful. I've been pretty stupid once though. Never even crossed my mind until after the event. A group of friends and I were out cruising around and whatnot, so we stopped at Taco Bell right before it closed. After we were done eating, we were just hanging out bullshitting and whatnot. Anyway, I guess there were reports of street racing in the area.. Three policemen approach us in the parking lot to ask questions and all that fun stuff

I had my hands in my hoodie pullover pocket that entire time we were talking, and I was still clueless as to why a couple of them had their hands on their holster. Clueless me

Anyways, I feel like rummaging around trying to find my registration or getting my wallet out from my back pocket would look suspicious? Once again, have never been pulled over.
Don't rummage. Just inform the officer/deputy where your license and registration are located, and let him/her instruct you to produce those documents. Rummaging is circumvented by having the documents in your hand [while they are positioned on the steering wheel] prior to the officer coming up to your car.

P.S. Keeping your hands in your hoodie pocket definitely increased the tension level. Lol! You didn't know any better though. Even during consensual encounters with the public, I instruct individuals to keep their hands visible.
Thanks to you I don't think I'll ever be confused of what to do during a traffic stop again Thanks!

I think I was too busy thinking about a ticket for ehm, tint and no front plate lol. It was so nice to hold the fob down while they were talking to me as it rolls down all my windows

Neither of the officer's during that encounter said anything about my hands being in my pocket, guess I wasn't much of a threat lol. Maybe it was the baby face and glasses
      10-15-2019, 02:18 AM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

During a T-stop.....

Sure, why not

P.S. Keeping your hands in your hoodie pocket definitely increased the tension level. Lol! You didn't know any better though. Even during consensual encounters with the public, I instruct individuals to keep their hands visible.
Thanks to you I don't think I'll ever be confused of what to do during a traffic stop again Thanks!

I think I was too busy thinking about a ticket for ehm, tint and no front plate lol. It was so nice to hold the fob down while they were talking to me as it rolls down all my windows

Neither of the officer's during that encounter said anything about my hands being in my pocket, guess I wasn't much of a threat lol. Maybe it was the baby face and glasses
Hahaha! That's what I'm here for. I'll do my best to inform and keep enthusiasts out of trouble.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #26
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Not Code 3, but what we like to call Code 2.5. That's where you see us pull up to a traffic signal at an intersection, stop traffic using the squelch/siren and flash the lights briefly, and roll through the intersection.
This is a sore subject to me, having had my wife's vehicle wrecked and her moderately injured as a result of a police car that wasn't responding to a call deciding to do the lights and siren thing so they wouldn't have to sit at a long traffic light. She stopped at the line on a green light for the crossing police car, but the pickup truck hauling a landscape trailer behind her didn't even put on his brakes before plowing her through the intersection. (The patrol car turned off his/her lights/siren and kept going like nothing happened.) I personally saw a patrol car from the same town pull the same stunt in front of me a few weeks ago, and filed FOIL requests for all dashcam, body cam, and radio call transcripts from +/- 30 minutes of the incident time (from my own dashcam's FPS-synchronized clock). I respect the police and certainly wouldn't want to have their jobs, but they need to be aware of the consequences of abusing the tools that we have provided them in non-emergency situations.

OK, now for a question. What is the best way to disclose to an officer during a traffic stop that you are legally carrying on a CCW permit? Our state does not require that we inform an officer unless asked, and it is a major debate among gun owners about whether or not a CCW permit holder should volunteer this information. Would handing the CCW license with the drivers license be a good ice-breaker?????
      10-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #27
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
What's the highest speed you've stopped a driver for and what was the outcome and consequence?

Secondarily, has a speeder ever gotten away?
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #28
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
What's the highest speed you've stopped a driver for and what was the outcome and consequence?

Curious about this as well.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      10-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #29
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

what is your favorite speed measurement device?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      10-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #30
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

How do you handcuff a one armed man?
Appreciate 5
King Rudi13152.00
upstatedoc7555.50
MKSixer34171.50
      10-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #31
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post

They typically don't get arrested as they are pretty 'armless. In the event that one must be handcuffed, they can only be detained in pairs.
Appreciate 8
Rmtt8206.00
Darth One6612.50
MKSixer34171.50
Run Silent15127.00
      10-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #32
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Sedan_Clan Are you applying for a PIO job? You've already given valuable advice to help LEO across the (globe?)

On the "quota" thing, I still remember a CHP officer who was teaching the particular traffic school class I was attending way back in my early 20s mention "No quota, I can write AS MANY as I want"
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #33
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
Not Code 3, but what we like to call Code 2.5. That's where you see us pull up to a traffic signal at an intersection, stop traffic using the squelch/siren and flash the lights briefly, and roll through the intersection.
This is a sore subject to me, having had my wife's vehicle wrecked and her moderately injured as a result of a police car that wasn't responding to a call deciding to do the lights and siren thing so they wouldn't have to sit at a long traffic light. She stopped at the line on a green light for the crossing police car, but the pickup truck hauling a landscape trailer behind her didn't even put on his brakes before plowing her through the intersection. (The patrol car turned off his/her lights/siren and kept going like nothing happened.) I personally saw a patrol car from the same town pull the same stunt in front of me a few weeks ago, and filed FOIL requests for all dashcam, body cam, and radio call transcripts from +/- 30 minutes of the incident time (from my own dashcam's FPS-synchronized clock). I respect the police and certainly wouldn't want to have their jobs, but they need to be aware of the consequences of abusing the tools that we have provided them in non-emergency situations.

OK, now for a question. What is the best way to disclose to an officer during a traffic stop that you are legally carrying on a CCW permit? Our state does not require that we inform an officer unless asked, and it is a major debate among gun owners about whether or not a CCW permit holder should volunteer this information. Would handing the CCW license with the drivers license be a good ice-breaker?????
I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident involving your wife. I'm glad she wasn't injured badly. Both departments that I've worked for discourage Code 2.5.

As for the CCW....

....I would recommend that you kindly present your CCW credentials along with your state issued driver's license, insurance and vehicle registration. Notify the officer that your concealed weapon is on your person, in your glovebox, etc. The one thing an officer DOES NOT want is to be surprised by seeing a gun in a vehicle or noticing a gun on somebody's waistline. It rarely ever ends well.

Contrary to popular belief, the CCW doesn't really cause tension during the stop.
Appreciate 5
MKSixer34171.50
vreihen1614886.50
clee1982796.00
      10-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #34
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

Haha! Top speeds have eclipsed 130+mph by riders of motorcycles and drivers of fast cars. It has happened quite often, but one memorable incident was involving a rider of a Kawasaki street bike. Every time he'd see our CHP units on freeway traffic stops, he would ride by, slow down, pop a wheelie and ride off. We had a hard time catching the guy and his behavior was flagrant. One night he pulled the stunt and one of my buddies - who is a Motor Training Officer and who can ride a patrol bike like a demon on wheels - took off after him. The Kawi rider made the mistake of pulling off the freeway and riding into my buddy's neighborhood. Let's just say that Kawi rider ended up being stopped at gunpoint, was arrested and cried the entire ride to the station. His facial expression when my buddy drifted around the corner on a BMW bike, stopping, and pulling out his gun was classic.
Appreciate 9
      10-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #35
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
what is your favorite speed measurement device?
With the CHP: pacing....because we had an open chase policy. If you ran, I was chasing. On my current department we have more restraints on chases. It has to be a serious felony, confirmed grand theft vehicle or a serious misdemeanor. Chases don't happen as often, so I would just rather use laser IF I'm working a traffic car rather than a crime car.
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7555.50
MKSixer34171.50
      10-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #36
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Flexi-cuff or handcuff attached to a belt or waist chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Quote:

They typically don't get arrested as they are pretty 'armless. In the event that one must be handcuffed, they can only be detained in pairs.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
clee1982796.00
      10-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #37
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Sedan_Clan Are you applying for a PIO job? You've already given valuable advice to help LEO across the (globe?)

On the "quota" thing, I still remember a CHP officer who was teaching the particular traffic school class I was attending way back in my early 20s mention "No quota, I can write AS MANY as I want"
No PIO here. Lol! Maybe after I work some special units like SVU or narco. Then again, after I'm done getting my jollies off, I may just hide out in the county parks or the courts.....

....or maybe be a D/I in the academy.

I know you mentioned your local P.D. in another post. You're sworn?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #38
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Wait... are you a chick?

Follow up question (depending on results from question 1): Can I handcuff you?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #39
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Wait... are you a chick?

Follow up question (depending on results from question 1): Can I handcuff you?
LMAO! Not even close.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #40
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
LMAO! Not even close.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #41
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^ Well shit.....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #42
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
How do you deal with the anti cop attitude these days? My SO is LEO. It breaks my heart and scares the hell out me. It's a disgrace.

Does the brass have your backs or is it like the BS here in NYC?
Rmtt8206.00
      10-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #43
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Haha! Top speeds have eclipsed 130+mph by riders of motorcycles and drivers of fast cars. It has happened quite often, but one memorable incident was involving a rider of a Kawasaki street bike. Every time he'd see our CHP units on freeway traffic stops, he would ride by, slow down, pop a wheelie and ride off. We had a hard time catching the guy and his behavior was flagrant. One night he pulled the stunt and one of my buddies - who is a Motor Training Officer and who can ride a patrol bike like a demon on wheels - took off after him. The Kawi rider made the mistake of pulling off the freeway and riding into my buddy's neighborhood. Let's just say that Kawi rider ended up being stopped at gunpoint, was arrested and cried the entire ride to the station. His facial expression when my buddy drifted around the corner on a BMW bike, stopping, and pulling out his gun was classic.
AWESOME!!

I've HEARD there may be groups of guys going on spirited drives across the country generally on the back roads. No high sustained speeds but bursts into some interesting figures. All family guys and often WITH their SO/Kids/friends in the cars. Nothing crazy. What would be your reaction if you so happened upon a group like this?
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15570.50
      10-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #44
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
AWESOME!!

I've HEARD there may be groups of guys going on spirited drives across the country generally on the back roads. No high sustained speeds but bursts into some interesting figures. All family guys and often WITH their SO/Kids/friends in the cars. Nothing crazy. What would be your reaction if you so happened upon a group like this? Asking for a friend
FTFY
kscarrol8775.50
vreihen1614886.50
MKSixer34171.50