BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

My Josh turns 14 soon getting him a drivers permit (Kansas) then flying back home a day later

He's the one that made me get the m2, josh: dad, bmw is grabbing parts out of its bin, S55, Big brake kit and upgrading cooling from its brothers (must get)

planning on seeing a royals game and some bbq, anyone from the area please chime in

notes: getting around residency with a friends Kansas home address and proof with a bank statement with his details and "new address" Massachusetts is 16 for permit and 16.5 for a junior operator license

He still needs me in the car (adult over 21) but he can drive! now it's just empty parking lots and low low traffic streets

2nd edit: flights, hotel and rental car are for cheap mostly on points, Kaufman stadium home games for 4 cost less than I could get 2 @ Fenway!?!? brother in law and his boy coming too, he wants bbq also
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
You may want to check the laws before boarding the plane. I do not believe that there is reciprocity between states for learners permits. My NY one clearly stated that it was only valid in-state, and one of the kids in my school had to wait an extra year for his license because his parents let him drive on a family trip to Florida and he got busted in the Carolinas with an out-of-state permit.....
      07-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
You may want to check the laws before boarding the plane. I do not believe that there is reciprocity between states for learners permits. My NY one clearly stated that it was only valid in-state, and one of the kids in my school had to wait an extra year for his license because his parents let him drive on a family trip to Florida and he got busted in the Carolinas with an out-of-state permit.....
^This.

Per MASS license requirements, regardless of the type of license obtained from out of state, it is illegal to drive if under the age of 16 in MASS. Note that VT is fully reciprocal with Kansas and he could drive there - not sure how far a drive that is for you from your home.

https://driveusaonpermit.blogspot.co...-of-state.html

https://www.annestravels.net/helpful...r-permit-laws/
      07-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
it's the same here in Massachusetts (state permits only allowed) "officially"but something is better than nothing, as long as he's in the system it'll be fine

I did mine in Maine @ 15 in the 1990's some kids in my family got permits in Florida but also lived in Boston as recently as a few years ago, got stopped with parents in the car no problem (happy trooper)

But @ 14 years old Kansas and only a couple other states allow that young
I'm aware of the liability, he's only driving with me in the car

Damn, I took my dads 420sel all over Cambridge @ 13 (no permit NO anything) just drove like miss Daisy is in the back and not past 11pm
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
95 north or south in South Carolina our cruise control is set to 54 mph no matter traffic

Every winter going to Fort Lauderdale 1300 miles my family would ONLY get a ticket in SC any other area no issue

they hunt for out of state plates, MA Registration they get a hard on to pull over imo
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Haven't been back to KC for a decade at least but Arthur Bryant's was one of the best BBQ I ever had when I was living there. Go to the original (read old) store in KCMO. The newer KCK outlet isn't as good, I hear.
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      07-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I believe Kansas allows driving at 14 due to farms and allowing kids to drive farm equipment and truck on the roads. If your thinking that having a official Kansas drivers license, not a permit will not be an issue in Mass, you may want to think again. If he gets pulled over for any reason and he has an outstate license and driving a car with an in state registration, this will set flags off with the Mass Police. Plus with all the state driver license database being linked next year, Mass police will be able to see the history of his Kansas License.

Your going to be him at risk of not being able to get his Mass License at 16 and you could be fine as well, but money does not seem to be an issue for you. All i know is Mass has some very restrictive licensing and auto insurance rules. When the state tells your insurance company you had an unlicensed driver driving your car I pretty sure they will not be happy.

Good luck to you pulling this off, I am glad I will not be driving in Mass knowing your 14yr is on the roads there. I know my kids had challenges driving at 16 and I made them drive thousands of mile before they took their driver test. Had nothing to do with their driving skill it was all the other idiots on the roads doing stupid things. Kids expect everyone to follow the rules and most people do not.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      07-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
With the recent problems at the Massachusetts RMV illustrating how they throw out-of-state license suspension requests into bins that never get processed (see the New Hampshire motorcycle-trailer accident story), I doubt they would ever figure it out even if it was on a billboard outside their office.....
      07-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I believe Kansas allows driving at 14 due to farms and allowing kids to drive farm equipment and truck on the roads. If your thinking that having a official Kansas drivers license, not a permit will not be an issue in Mass, you may want to think again. If he gets pulled over for any reason and he has an outstate license and driving a car with an in state registration, this will set flags off with the Mass Police. Plus with all the state driver license database being linked next year, Mass police will be able to see the history of his Kansas License.

Your going to be him at risk of not being able to get his Mass License at 16 and you could be fine as well, but money does not seem to be an issue for you. All i know is Mass has some very restrictive licensing and auto insurance rules. When the state tells your insurance company you had an unlicensed driver driving your car I pretty sure they will not be happy.

Good luck to you pulling this off, I am glad I will not be driving in Mass knowing your 14yr is on the roads there. I know my kids had challenges driving at 16 and I made them drive thousands of mile before they took their driver test. Had nothing to do with their driving skill it was all the other idiots on the roads doing stupid things. Kids expect everyone to follow the rules and most people do not.
Your glad your not in mass because my son is on the roads here?

He's 2 baseball seasons away from legal age? It's a damn permit to learn driving earlier with me in the car, this process of going to KC is for teaching not letting kids drag race or goof off alone

I asked the forum where to go In KC for 2 days not legal or moral advice just wanted what bbq places are best (all seem to be 4star+)

Truth is lots of kids do Maine and Florida permits here, troopers really don't give a damn here near home (where he will be driving WITH me) only some tightass forum members

Your making comments about the law and yes your right I'm breaking it but it's fine, cops here have bigger problems to focus on than out of state permit drivers learning skills with their mom + dad in the car, to piss you off a little more he already drives a little bit without ANYTHING, go call the swat team on us
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post

While I agree that the actions being proposed are not quite legal and could have a consequence for the kid as well as the OP, I have to say that with a parent in the car 14 is an appropriate age IMO. I live in Iowa and we also get permits at 14, and kids driving with their parents is a heck of a lot safer than a 16 year old without any driving experience driving alone.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      07-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
I'm breaking it but it's fine, cops here have bigger problems to focus ...... he already drives a little bit without ANYTHING,

Just some advice? Probably not best to publicly voice the fact you are breaking the law on an internet website that has the ability to track your IP Address.

Might be a point to ponder.

On a side note - solid parenting right there - teaching your kid to break the law and ignore the laws that you feel don't apply to you. Two thumbs up.

CANGRKE70813.50
      07-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:
I'm breaking it but it's fine, cops here have bigger problems to focus ...... he already drives a little bit without ANYTHING,

Just some advice? Probably not best to publicly voice the fact you are breaking the law on an internet website that has the ability to track your IP Address.

Might be a point to ponder.

On a side note - solid parenting right there - teaching your kid to break the law and ignore the laws that you feel don't apply to you. Two thumbs up.

Yes I get it, liability is an issue But

Parenting? LAW breaking? because he's ok in 1 state but NOT another? are you serious?

breathe everyone, he's my son all I want is him to learn driving skills near my home with us in the car

My boy isn't going on highway 107 to race over 100 mph @ midnight, it's just to build up confidence on these crazy roads a little earlier than normally allowed in my state, he's taking his mom to stop n shop grocery store some days and me to the golf range (few miles here n there)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Prostitution is legal in some Nevada counties. Just saying.....
      07-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #14
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Prostitution is legal in some Nevada counties. Just saying.....
I hear what some are saying on here, without knowing me or my family it certainly looks like neglect, but this is how I learned to drive and now I'm teaching my son, confidence behind the wheel is key

My twin girls now almost 20 learned more at the appropriate age, but we made sure they drove in Snowy/stormy conditions to build confidence how the vehicle reacts on compacted snow or 2" per hour rains, they now have easily over 50k miles in the past 4 years without a ticket or any fender bender
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #15
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My twin girls now almost 20 learned more at the appropriate age, but we made sure they drove in Snowy/stormy conditions to build confidence how the vehicle reacts on compacted snow or 2" per hour rains, they now have easily over 50k miles in the past 4 years without a ticket or any fender bender

So....you taught them to drive at the appropriate legal age, yet you feel that you need to break the law to teach your son? Does he know that you don't have as much confidence in his driving abilities as your daughters? You say that the daughters drive just fine, so why feel the need to treat the son any different? I feel there is more going on here than you are letting on...

On an additional note - you seem surprised that some people might not agree with you in an internet chat forum? Shocking as that may be, perhaps this is your first time using the inter-webs? I've got a few old AOL disks laying around if you need them.

07-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

yeah, i'm a little confused as well. moreso than usual
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      07-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
yeah, i'm a little confused as well. moreso than usual
The girls are older, first on closed parking lots in snow storms to get the feel

Then finally @ 15 in Maine whey got permits legally, then @ 16 in Massachusetts

Also they were (shocker) not as interested in driving as my son is now

More of a combination with them (closed lots and low traffic roads)

My son is different, he made me get the m2 with a Euro Delivery 3 gen guy trip, Kansas is 14, we want him to do the same with him as we did with his sisters but a little earlier
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #18
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

You are surely the coolest of all coolguy dads, no doubt. And believe me, working in PM&R, I've gotten to meet a whole bunch of cool dads who just knew how mature and competent THEIR youngster was. Since the safety thing seems so easy for you to dismiss, you might want to just take a little time to consider your true liability - like insurance issues, not traffic court. Anything happens and you eat the whole bill; if anything happens to a/b else, they'll suck you dry. But seriously, it might be time to reconsider that coolguy dad thing a little more; there is such a thing as too much. But to be fair, my square head dad and his stupid rules forced me sneak the car out in the middle of the night to drive at 14, and it was a f'ing 6cyl Dodge Dart, so I'm probably just all twisted up with jealousy.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      07-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #19
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:

So....you taught them to drive at the appropriate legal age, yet you feel that you need to break the law to teach your son? Does he know that you don't have as much confidence in his driving abilities as your daughters? You say that the daughters drive just fine, so why feel the need to treat the son any different? I feel there is more going on here than you are letting on...

On an additional note - you seem surprised that some people might not agree with you in an internet chat forum? Shocking as that may be, perhaps this is your first time using the inter-webs? I've got a few old AOL disks laying around if you need them.

Yes there is more to the story, I'm 36 I got sick last November, soon after got allocation for euro delivery, with my son and dad

I've had Bmw's before but never a sports version

I want to teach him driving skills that's all, breaking some states laws complying with others is not a big deal to me

Going to KC for bbq and a game @ Kaufman park, Josh getting a permit too

It's part of my bucket list, others Great Wall, Yellowstone, octoberfest and (driving with son on autobahn) me driving of course lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #20
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

breaking some states laws complying with others is not a big deal to me.
LOL, you do you, I guess?

Perhaps you can have one of your daughters go ahead and be a hooker. Then, when she gets arrested for prostitution, you can tell the judge what you posted above. I mean, it's legal in other states, right?

Good grief.

07-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #21
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You are surely the coolest of all coolguy dads, no doubt. And believe me, working in PM&R, I've gotten to meet a whole bunch of cool dads who just knew how mature and competent THEIR youngster was. Since the safety thing seems so easy for you to dismiss, you might want to just take a little time to consider your true liability - like insurance issues, not traffic court. Anything happens and you eat the whole bill; if anything happens to a/b else, they'll suck you dry. But seriously, it might be time to reconsider that coolguy dad thing a little more; there is such a thing as too much. But to be fair, my square head dad and his stupid rules forced me sneak the car out in the middle of the night to drive at 14, and it was a f'ing 6cyl Dodge Dart, so I'm probably just all twisted up with jealousy.
Not a cool dad @ all
I'm very boring, usually very conservative but sometimes seem like I'm a no rules guy very "free range" in the way I raise them

I'm aware of the liability and accept it, courts, fees and big chunk of change if we're caught

I sound like a prick saying I don't care, I do, maybe not as much as I should
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #22
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
it was a f'ing 6cyl Dodge Dart
hey, I have some fond memories of a 6 cyl dodge dart from high school
Appreciate 3