BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

11-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #23
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
For those that have been playing the new Call of Duty Modern Warfare, there is a little Easter egg on the London map regarding a "Activision’s" console that happens to line up with the PS5 timeline.

https://www.dexerto.com/call-of-duty...e-date-1206042

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #24
BMW_Mischa
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F31 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
With the architecture being what it is today, I would love to see a modular approach to it. I think they're all missing a trick by not doing it that way.
They have had this for years, it's called a PC...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #25
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
We get it, “PC MASTERRACE!” 🙄 people miss the idea that we play console because of the slim form factor, convenience with minimal power usage, and the console exclusive titles. Sure, I can build a budget PC and use a console controller to play games on it. But I would also need to spend the time to configure the settings of each and every game I play so that it doesn’t run like shit on the budget graphics cards. Not to mention the convenience of just grabbing my controller, hitting the Ps button and the console, TV Soundbar all turn on at once. Using a PC I’d still have to turn on everything myself (call me lazy). Consoles have always brought one thing PC can’t and that’s Convenience. Try packing your PC into a pelican carry case to use as your personal item on an airplane.

All of this doesn’t mean that consoles couldn’t have a modular design to them for APU, CPU/GPU, Storage (expansion even, add a second PCIe slot for NVMe SSDs!), and RAM.

I believe it hasn’t been implemented with consoles because it’d kill sales during the midlife refresh that they typically do. However, they could offset this by offering extended warranties (I don’t buy them knowing the console will be refreshed in 3-4 years anyways), and even HW upgrade services or proprietary HW for those upgrades. We all know services make the most money, not the hardware. There’s a reason major companies are going to subscription based services, branching into new markets (PSVue) and offer other streaming services.

Last edited by Joe240; 11-11-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #26
BMW_Mischa
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F31 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
We get it, “PC MASTERRACE!” 🙄 people miss the idea that we play console because of the slim form factor, convenience with minimal power usage, and the console exclusive titles. Sure, I can build a budget PC and use a console controller to play games on it. But I would also need to spend the time to configure the settings of each and every game I play so that it doesn’t run like shit on the budget graphics cards. Not to mention the convenience of just grabbing my controller, hitting the Ps button and the console, TV Soundbar all turn on at once. Using a PC I’d still have to turn on everything myself (call me lazy). Consoles have always brought one thing PC can’t and that’s Convenience. Try packing your PC into a pelican carry case to use as your personal item on an airplane.

All of this doesn’t mean that consoles couldn’t have a modular design to them for APU, CPU/GPU, Storage (expansion even, add a second PCIe slot for NVMe SSDs!), and RAM.

I believe it hasn’t been implemented with consoles because it’d kill sales during the midlife refresh that they typically do. However, they could offset this by offering extended warranties (I don’t buy them knowing the console will be refreshed in 3-4 years anyways), and even HW upgrade services or proprietary HW for those upgrades. We all know services make the most money, not the hardware. There’s a reason major companies are going to subscription based services, branching into new markets (PSVue) and offer other streaming services.

Hahaha, I've been a console only gamer for about 15 years now. So chill out with the assumptions Consoles, like you said yourself, are supposed to be easy and small. Creating 500 different configuration options kills the "easy". Adding different hardware options will make it just as crappy as PC's to configure. You start a game on high, it runs crappy, you change to medium still not great, you go to low and it runs great... But damn high looked good . Consoles run games as they are supposed to straight out of the box/download. (most of them at least)
The other problem of the option of adding/changing hardware is that you need to supply the room in the console to do so in a idiot proof way. Which means bigger consoles. Wait, wasn't that what we didn't want?

Since there's only one main platform for a console game development is relatively easy. All games are made to run on the specs of that console. So adding extra RAM might have benefits but most cases probably not. Better CPU/GPU? Same story. More storage? Just change the internal drive (PlayStation) or attach a USB drive. Yes they do have a LCI version of consoles now a days. But that's just a minor change compared to a fully interchangeable platform. And last but not least, how much do you think it would cost extra to develop the upgrade hardware? It will have to be as small as possible, so no standard PC stuff but console specific. How many people will want to upgrade? 1 in 10, 1 in 10,000? Would you be willing to pay 300,- or so for a video upgrade on a console that will play all they games no matter what? Or would you expect the games to become hardware specific, which would force your friends or to upgrade or you to play without them?

This all is why I play console. You want to play, you turn it on and play. No hassle, no fuzz, just play. (If you've got all the updates that is ) But that's just me
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #27
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
They already design games specific for upgraded consoles though. Look at the games that will play on the OG PS4, but if you’re playing on a PS4Pro the graphics are switched to high gear and look even better? Developers already design the games to work on better hardware for the consoles. Even if the game wasn’t made during the age of the newer console (GTA5 for example), a simple patch fixes that and the new graphics are there for the new console. This is what plenty of games have done since live updates and online platforms have become a hit.

Regarding price of upgrades, it has to be reasonable (obviously) but the OG consoles started at $400? $500? Back in 2011, while the PS4P came out at $400-500 as well. That’s $1k in 9 years (console life cycle) with a basic 1 year MFW warranty each. Add $100-300 for increased warranty coverage each.

If they released a modular console at $350 (think ryzen 3 with 1650 graphics) base with a maxed version at $600 (think ryzen 7 with 2070 graphics) then in 4 years offer CPU/GPU upgrades at $100-300. The hardware upgrades would be able to utilize the same socket types (AM4 I believe now) so a whole new board and enclosure wouldn’t need to be R&D and manufactured which would save the company money, while they’d still make roughly the same profit off customers just from the hardware, but would generate more profit from the services offered. Sony and Microsoft already spend the R&D on the upgrades CPU/GPU for the console refreshes so they aren’t really spending any extra to generate new hardware for the modular design since it was going to be done anyways.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #28
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
new call of duty is out?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #29
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
new call of duty is out?
serious?

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #30
rutilebros
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 3 Series 325xi Wagon

I need to know what games are they going to release along with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #31
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutilebros View Post
I need to know what games are they going to release along with it.
Hopefully gta6
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:13 AM   #32
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
serious?
i know,

but i bought it yesterday as soon as i left work

night vision maps are fun but i cant aim correctly when i fire , the weapon gets tilted
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #33
BMWL0v3r
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW 118

I really don't play playstation anymore after I bought PC..BUT I think I still need to buy it because FIFA and NHL 1 year anymore
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #34
BryanAllen
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Hopefully gta6
I think, no.
      03-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #35
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

UPDATE!

Look alive boys and girls, official reveal tomorrow, 03/18/2020!

https://bgr.com/2020/03/17/ps5-relea...-launch-event/
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      03-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #36
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Well...I wanted to chew on this for at least a day before making any conclusions. Here's my thoughts...

1) I'm pretty disappointed that the PS5 is less powerful than the XBox Series X. I understand that it may not matter in the real world, but still. Pretty obvious that the PS team was caught off guard with the XBSX specs. I don't think they expected it to be that powerful. Kudos to MS.

2) Was hoping to see final console and controller design but wasn't expecting it since this was just a spec reveal.

3) My understanding was that the PS5 would be backwards compatible all the way through PS1, now it seems like it's not even for all PS4 games (top 100). I understand that it's a work in progress (software updates) but XBSX is backwards compatible all the way back out of the box. Kudos MS.

4) Strange choice for storage amount (825GB). May be enough for some but not for most. I maxed out my 500GB storage (mostly because COD MW updates are massive and have to take up double the space for copying) and had to get an external drive and I only play three games (FIFA, COD, GT Sport) and games are only going to get bigger. Seems like the tech is proprietary which means getting extended storage might be expensive and not available right away.

5) Seems like the latency/input lag has been greatly reduced between controller and console. Also from console to TV but only if you own one of the latest TVs that have HDMI 2.1 support. Bummer.

6) Leaks suggested that two PS5 would launch simultaneously instead of doing PRO and Slim versions as a life cycle refresh. Doesn't seem like that's the case right now. This is just my FOMO acting up though.

7) This is only based on speculation and leaks but the developer unit design looked terrible, especially next to the clean and classy XBSX design (yes, I know it looks like a literal box). I can only hope that's not the final design of the PS5. Time will tell.

Only after I typed this out did I realize that most of my points are negative. I am slightly disappointed.
Still picking one up when it launches if I can find one but I'm not going out of my way to do so. I'm still on the OG PS4 so I'm sure this will be leaps and bounds faster and better than it.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by mirob; 03-19-2020 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #37
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
825GB of storage I think is the differential of a 1TB drive minus the overhead of bits (a 1TB drive doesn’t partition out to 1TB when formatted) and then the PS5 OS. Although it appears the OS is pushing 100GB itself which is ridiculous because the PS4 OS is only (guessing here from my HDD upgrade) 8GB for the foundation plus the patches and stuff bringing it to ~40GB. It’s possible that it’s a 960GB storage instead of a real 1TB drive (yes, that’s a thing) which would bring the OS down to a reasonable ~50GB.

Another thing to consider is that the XBSX is going to require a custom designed storage expansion, while the PS5 is suppose to have a standard NVMe slot which you can readily buy now. Yes, there will be "verified" compatible models from manufacturers by Sony. That doesn't mean you couldn't buy a top end NVMe SSD on the market and put it in there (assuming it's the same interface like PCIe Gen3(4) x4). Since the interface of the PS5 NVMe expansion isn't known, nor the interface of the storage expansion of the XBSX, it's possible this is where the PS5 gets the one up on XBSX. The PS5 already has a faster factory storage interface than the XBSX (8-9GB/s compessed vs 6GB/s compressed). How much of a difference this will make with games is unknown right now, but it could be the difference between a minute loading screen and a 1.5 minute loading screen (as games get bigger this will become more noticeable).

Last edited by Joe240; 03-19-2020 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #38
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Wow a 2070? So when it is released it will have the capacity of a 3 year old gfx card, not even the highest model of that year? The 2070 came out in 2018.

This is stupid.

It's basically a 2021 console. That will have the capability of 2018 GPUs.

Both consoles need to be able to ray trace and run at 4k flawlessly. This is like tying your legs together before the race starts. I bet this is the shortest console generation ever.

The new gen of nvidia cards coming out this summer are supposed to be 40% faster than my 2080 at 4k and ray tracing. That is a future proof card. Put in the 2070 or 2060 version of that.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #39
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Looking at the current pricing for the RTX 2060, you'd be causing the console price to start at $700 or more. Few would buy it at that price.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #40
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Looking at the current pricing for the RTX 2060, you'd be causing the console price to start at $700 or more. Few would buy it at that price.
Then wait a year and come out with a future proof console then? Blow M$ out of the water?

I am just saying the new consoles are going to start out handicapped in terms of where the marketis going: 4k 120 FPS/Raytracing.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #41
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Then wait a year and come out with a future proof console then? Blow M$ out of the water?

I am just saying the new consoles are going to start out handicapped in terms of where the marketis going: 4k 120 FPS/Raytracing.
Doesn’t matter if they wait a year or 5. A low end/next gen card is always going to push the price of the consoles too high. Unless it’s a few years old in which case you’re back to where we are now and with every previous generation of consoles: still behind the PC in comparison to capabilities.

Even with the handicap though, consoles sell in the millions because they are relatively cheap (compared to PCs) and the function out of the box with next to zero issues (have fun with the bloatware on a PC). Just like with Apple products, people pay a reasonable premium for ease of use where everything just works all the time, every time without much (if any) effort. You plug up a console, set your resolution and internet connection and then start playing your games. PCs you have a lot more cabling to connect, have to spend time messing with video settings to get the optimal frame rates that work with your specific graphics card and monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #42
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Saw on FB, can't find the post now if anyone can get the link.
Attached Images

2021 Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:46 PM   #43
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

I think that new controller looks great. If thats what the console looks like...way better than the first renderings we saw with that V-Notch design.
      04-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #44
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I read Rachet and Clank could be one of the launch games around the holidays this year for this system.
Appreciate 0